YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shoulder stand in sequence
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

aaron
Posted 2005-10-18 11:56 AM (#34637)
Subject: shoulder stand in sequence

I have noticed that my teacher, when teaching a backbending class, does not finish up the sequence with shoulderstand. He skips that pose for that particular class and has us do ardha halasana and some other twisting poses. In my own practice, my body doesn't want to do sarvangasana after backbending so I don't do. Is there an anatomical reason for this? I have always been taught that the two inversion go together (sirsasana/sarvangasana). When it comes to a backbending sequence should there be an exception?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-10-18 2:56 PM (#34652 - in reply to #34637)
Subject: RE: shoulder stand in sequence

Expert Yogi

Twists work to bring the spine back to a neutral position after back bends. It is ok to do sarvangasana after the twists but halasana is part of the shoulderstand series and ardha halasana is particularly restful, soothing and quieting for the nervous system. So what I am saying is that you can do poses of the shoulderstand series (including setu bandha sarvangasana or even viparita karani) rather than full shoulder stand. Personally, shoulderstand is very hard work and I am more than happy to have a break from it in class
aaron
Posted 2005-10-18 3:01 PM (#34653 - in reply to #34637)

so you don't think there's an "anatomical reason" my teacher leaves out shoulder stand when we are doing backbends? It's true that shoulderstand is hard work, though I feel more fearful in headstand, and I'm happy to have a break from it after doing a strong backbending sequence. I do notice however that when I practice backbends without sarvangasana my energy level is a bit more up. As if I've been drinking tea all day. My nervous system is particularly sensitive.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-18 3:14 PM (#34657 - in reply to #34653)

Expert Yogi

No, I don't think it is anatomical, more for the nervous system. Of course, it is nice to do a forward bend after backbends and halasana is a forward bend, although upside down. So you are saying you need a bit more quietness after back bends? It is totally ok to do shoulder stand and if you feel like you need to do one when you practice at home, go for it. Alternately, do a longer halasana or add in karnipidasana, supta konasana, parsva halasana or do a forward bending series after your shoulderstand. Actually, my choice would be a longer halasana (ardha or full) and a long viparita karani and/or a well supported setu bandha on a bolster.
aaron
Posted 2005-10-18 4:25 PM (#34661 - in reply to #34637)

I suppose I am saying that. That I need something more quieting after backbends. I love setu bandha with lots of belts. I have even used a couple of belts around my legs in savasana. a viniyoga teacher showed it to me and at first I thought it was weird but it really gave me the sense of being completely together with msyelf. Really getting quiet - like forward bends do.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-18 4:42 PM (#34664 - in reply to #34661)

Expert Yogi

Setu bandha with belts is very soothing - although I always feel a slight whisper of "don't they do this to crazy people?" in my head when we use a lot of them I also like to have many blankets piled on my thighs for savasana - a similar quieting, grounding effect.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-18 9:19 PM (#34676 - in reply to #34664)

Expert Yogi

I always feel a bit lost with belts in Setu Bandha. They slip and distract and are
they in the right place and so on. To end a backbending sequence, I kind of
like baddha konasana, baddha padmasana, yoganidrasana, etc, until my back
is relaxed and calm. At that point, either Sarvangasana for a while, or, more likely,
Savasana.....Viparita Karani works well in there if my lumbar spine is too lordosish....
... as it were.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-18 11:48 PM (#34686 - in reply to #34637)

Dear aarron:
this is my response:

a) As for your teacher skipping Shoulderstand in the backbending class, you should directly ask the teacher why. They you shall get the exact answer of that if there is any.

b) As for your own reluctance to do SS after backbends, if you are doing the exercises in a proper manner, (And, this can only be seen by a teacher), and your system is reluctant to do Shoulderstand after backbend, then you should skip it . And, do SS at another time.

c) Why do you want to do SS after back bends. There is NO special benefit in this for sure.

d) If you want soothing after lot of back bends, you should do a passive forward standing bend for a short time. Passive means do not stretch in the forward standing bend. And, then do shavasana.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)