YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vitamin B12
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

susanchain
Posted 2005-10-15 1:31 PM (#34468)
Subject: Vitamin B12

Veges may lack of V.b12, for its main resources are meat, milk and egg. Lacking V.B12 may cause problems of the nerve system. I've read a news in a newspaper that the suicides mostly lacked it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-15 1:42 PM (#34470 - in reply to #34468)
Subject: RE: Vitamin B12

one tablespoon of nutritional yeast has 106 % of the daily requirement of b-12. and it's totally yummy.

i have been a vegan for a while and my b-12, calcium and iron levels are fine, and i don't take multivitamins.

susanchain
Posted 2005-10-15 11:50 PM (#34493 - in reply to #34468)

What is nutritional yeast? Is it for making bread? How much contains in 50g bread?
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-15 11:54 PM (#34495 - in reply to #34470)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-15 1:42 PM

one tablespoon of nutritional yeast has 106 % of the daily requirement of b-12. and it's totally yummy.

How do you take it?  I used to put it in water, but that was pretty yucky, or the yeast went bad.

tourist
Posted 2005-10-16 10:22 AM (#34501 - in reply to #34493)

Expert Yogi

susan - it is not used for making bread. Ask at your health food store. They'll have it. I like it on popcorn
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-16 1:02 PM (#34506 - in reply to #34468)

popcorn, YUMMO!

it's a cheesey salty flavor. use it on top of pasta, sprinkle on a little hummus or mayo(or veganaise) on a sammich. on top of sauteed' broccoli mixed with garlic.  mix it with olive oil to change the consistancy.

GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-16 1:33 PM (#34510 - in reply to #34468)

Sounds pretty good, I might have to give that a shot.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-16 7:56 PM (#34517 - in reply to #34495)

GreenJello - 2005-10-15 11:54 PM
anya sharvani - 2005-10-15 1:42 PM

How do you take it?  I used to put it in water, but that was pretty yucky, or the yeast went bad.

I use Now brand nutritional yeast.  also, my % was incorrect. one heaping tablespoon has 70% daily value. however, if you eat meat your getting b-12 elsewhere as well.

also good on baked potatoes with rosemary!

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-16 7:58 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-16 9:45 PM (#34524 - in reply to #34517)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-16 7:56 PM

I use Now brand nutritional yeast. also, my % was incorrect. one heaping tablespoon has 70% daily value. however, if you eat meat your getting b-12 elsewhere as well.

also good on baked potatoes with rosemary!

Hmmm... this has been several years, I just remember it coming in a big tub at the whole foods store, maybe that was the problem.  I'm also assuming that what we're discussing is brewers yeast, which I think is the same as nutritional yeast, not sure.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-17 11:12 AM (#34550 - in reply to #34468)

not brewer's yeast. 

Posted 2005-10-19 11:23 AM (#34707 - in reply to #34468)

i'll get back to this later. Nutritional yeast has a different type of b12 than animal products, and in this, there is a way that one should consume nutritional yeast in order to maintain b12 levels. the "RDA" is decieving, and i'll explain that too.

i'll also link to and discuss the issues of b12 and cholesterol in relation to brain function and depression. i'm putting this up to remind myself.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-19 1:13 PM (#34717 - in reply to #34468)

if you don't like nutritional yeast or are concerned about the level of b-12 absorbed you can take a subligngual tablet of methylcobalamin (1000micrograms) each day. or get a shot from your doctor.

Then again, I don't know why I bother posting anything at all since zoebird's just going to write a book on it for us. : )

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-19 1:41 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-19 2:35 PM (#34721 - in reply to #34717)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-19 1:13 PM

Then again, I don't know why I bother posting anything at all since zoebird's just going to write a book on it for us. : )

Yeah, but the less you write the more likely it is to get read.  ;)  Zoebird's just got a lot of really good info, and nobody to give her feed back on when enough is enough.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-19 3:31 PM (#34727 - in reply to #34721)

Expert Yogi

Guys - she trained as a lawyer.... Bring on the lawyer jokes!

I love having the long and the short posts. Sometimes I have the time and interest to read the longies and sometimes not. It's all good, as my kids say...
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-19 3:56 PM (#34729 - in reply to #34727)

tourist - 2005-10-19 3:31 PMGuys - she trained as a lawyer.... Bring on the lawyer jokes!I love having the long and the short posts. Sometimes I have the time and interest to read the longies and sometimes not. It's all good, as my kids say...

Only lawyer jokes I know I can't repeat.  Which is probably a good thing, since they're not long on humor.    I usually enjoy her posts, lots of good info, but I find it difficult to respond to them since they're so long.  She usually brings up several interesting things, and I can't reply w/o adding another book.

Posted 2005-10-19 4:48 PM (#34732 - in reply to #34717)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-19 1:13 PM

if you don't like nutritional yeast or are concerned about the level of b-12 absorbed you can take a subligngual tablet of methylcobalamin (1000micrograms) each day. or get a shot from your doctor.

it's not about not liking nutritional yeast really. to get enough b12 from nutritional yeast, you need to take enough micrograms of it--enough of a serving of it to get somewhere.

since it seems that you all don't care for the information, i won't post it. but generally speaking, it's not enough for me, personally, to have someone say 'oh, don't worry about it, eat this or that" without telling the WHYs as well as the DISCUSSION about it.

but hey, whatever.

Edited by zoebird 2005-10-19 5:15 PM
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-20 12:20 PM (#34778 - in reply to #34732)

zoebird: don't be upset. I don't think anyone cares either way about b-12. I was responding to the OP in succinct manner as there was no question, just a statement. I took the OP's statement as "vegans lack b-12 and are suicidal" so i simply post a rebuttal that you can get b-12 from other sources. then the conversation turned to food.It wasn't a huge conversation or debate or anything.I posted the book statement because i thought your post was funny, like you had to swoop in and save us from vitamin defieciency and *gasp* Not Enough Information. and since i was the only one(i doubt tourist and GJ are vegan) who had to worry about a B-12 defiency, it was doubly amusing.

>Veges may lack of V.b12, for its main resources are meat, milk and egg. Lacking V.B12 may cause problems of the nerve system. I've read a news in a newspaper that the suicides mostly lacked it.

where is the op asking for nutritional advice anyway?

>but generally speaking, it's not enough for me, personally, to have someone say 'oh, don't worry about it, eat this or that" without telling the WHYs as well as the DISCUSSION about it.

anyone who takes any medical advice from anyone on the internet or RL wether they post a sentence OR a five page document with links, a bibliograhy and graphs is an idiot. you can discuss all the WHYs you want and the person recieving the info still needs to do their reasearch and apply some critical thinking.

Posted 2005-10-20 1:03 PM (#34787 - in reply to #34468)

anya:

i inferred a question.

the op seemed to be interested in veganism--even marginally--and then was scared off of it from a statement about b12 and suicides. i wanted to inform her of the larger issue, so that should she be interested in veganism, she could approach it with knowledge.

i have no interest in saving you or anyone else. i simply want to provide information to people who seem to be asking for it without asking a direct question. a lot of people--vegans and non vegans--can suffer from b12 deficiency, because the real turnkey of this nutrient is the absorption factor. where you get it, what forms it comes it, how it is absorbed, how it is stored in the liver, among other elements are important in understanding nutrition and it's impact on health.

i have had amazing results in my friends and clients from an understanding of b12. parkinsons, altzheimers, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a myriad of other problems seem to be linked to b 12 because as soon as my clients with these problems or early onset of these disorders start taking b12 in it's various non-animal forms (usually through sublingual tablets, nasal spray or shots) notice either recovery or a marked decrease in symptoms.

but instead of just teling them, oh, you could take nutritional yeast! i recommend that they look to some research, i explain that research to them, and i explain why this nutrient is helpful or important. I recommend that they speak to their doctor about it, and i also recommend that they begin to keep records (medical and personal) from the time they start working with b12 until they notice that they no longer have symptoms or the symptoms are markedly decreased.

because of the success that i have had with this and the spectrum of fats that i am beginning to understand and work with (particularly for clients with various nervous and neurological disorders), many local doctors are now beginning to look into this as well, as they have seen a marked improvement in their clients.

If no one really cares, then i won't bother. You're welcome to do the research yourself, but the RDA on the nutritional yeast label is a sham.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-20 2:39 PM (#34798 - in reply to #34787)

zoebird - 2005-10-20 1:03 PM anya: i inferred a question. the op seemed to be interested in veganism--even marginally--and then was scared off of it from a statement about b12 and suicides. i wanted to inform her of the larger issue, so that should she be interested in veganism, she could approach it with knowledge. i have no interest in saving you or anyone else. i simply want to provide information to people who seem to be asking for it without asking a direct question. a lot of people--vegans and non vegans--can suffer from b12 deficiency, because the real turnkey of this nutrient is the absorption factor. where you get it, what forms it comes it, how it is absorbed, how it is stored in the liver, among other elements are important in understanding nutrition and it's impact on health. i have had amazing results in my friends and clients from an understanding of b12. parkinsons, altzheimers, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a myriad of other problems seem to be linked to b 12 because as soon as my clients with these problems or early onset of these disorders start taking b12 in it's various non-animal forms (usually through sublingual tablets, nasal spray or shots) notice either recovery or a marked decrease in symptoms. but instead of just teling them, oh, you could take nutritional yeast!

1.You seem to be implying  that i was advising to OP. I wasn't.

i recommend that they look to some research, i explain that research to them, and i explain why this nutrient is helpful or important. I recommend that they speak to their doctor about it,

Well, thank goodness you tell them all that, or else they might just go around stuffing their faces full of supplements that just anyone recommends! the poor things.

and i also recommend that they begin to keep records (medical and personal) from the time they start working with b12 until they notice that they no longer have symptoms or the symptoms are markedly decreased. because of the success that i have had with this and the spectrum of fats that i am beginning to understand and work with (particularly for clients with various nervous and neurological disorders), many local doctors are now beginning to look into this as well, as they have seen a marked improvement in their clients. If no one really cares, then i won't bother.

you just did, but noone was stopping you in the first place.: )

You're welcome to do the research yourself, but the RDA on the nutritional yeast label is a sham.

I have done plenty of research on lots of things, but I don't always feel the need to tell everybody about it when noone asked in the first place. for the most part, I enjoy your posts, and i think you are educated on what you post about. I never stated anything to the contrary. what's the big deal?

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-20 2:40 PM

Posted 2005-10-20 3:04 PM (#34804 - in reply to #34468)

there is no big deal.

i assumed that people on the board and the original poster would be interested in the information. i assume that's why people come to boards--to share information with each other.

since the OP seemed to be looking for information, i thought i would provide it based on the elements listed in the OP's post. I set the outline.

then, i have three comments about how a long post doesn't seem like a good thing. i'm fine with it if people don't want information. i find it confusing, but i'm fine with it.

of course, i question whether i should participate at all, if no one really cares what i have to say anyway.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-20 3:56 PM (#34812 - in reply to #34468)

The question is when is too much information too much.  You have an incredibly amount of information, and a strong desire to share, both of which are very good things.  However, many of your posts are very long, which makes for difficult reading for the rest of us.  Knowing the correct length for any post is very very difficult exercise, I'm sure everybody has posted more than they should at times.

When you post too much, or too long, there's a strong desire to just skim, or skip the post altogether.  It's kinda like the guy at the party who insists on delivering a monologue.  He could be the world's most interesting person, but after 3-4 minutes most people start looking at their watches.  It's unfortunate for everybody, since you've got a lot of good info, but it's getting lost in transmission.

As a suggestion, I'd avoid posting more than 3-4 paragraphs at a time, per post.  Please understand that this is an attempt at constructive criticism, and not a personal attack.  I've certainly dominated a conversation or two, and posted a book or two.  Sometimes it's warranted, often it's not.

Posted 2005-10-20 4:20 PM (#34816 - in reply to #34468)

while i understand your criticism and certainly take it under advisement, i also think that there are real issues that need to be thoroughly discussed that only a few paragraphs won't do.

i don't mind if people don't read it--as long as the people who are interested in it do read it and do gain something from it. since i've written long posts on messageboards for as long as i've been on message boards (which is a while now), and since the people who are genuinely seeking the answers are truly interested in these posts and i've gotten a great deal of positive feedback about it, i'll likely continue to address complex questions and situations with complex and long posts that expose the various arguments and other elements involved in the discussion.

to me, the connection between b12 and suicide is tenuous, but definately there in role that the nutrient plays in cognition. understanding that role is important to understanding what one's individual needs may be in regards to the nutrients such that a person can proceed into a diet with understanding and be able to meet their nutritional needs over time.

i'm not concerned about someone line anya, who is already vegan, not getting enough nutrients or being worried about a possible connection between b12 and suicide. But, i am concerned about omnivores who don't know better passing along misinformation and thus putting people off of vegetarianism (particularly lurkers with whom i don't actually converse, but are actually present), or putting this individual off veganism because of lack of understanding.

the biggest reason why people dont' consider vegetarianism and veganism is not laziness or even lack of interest or love of eating meat--but rather misinformation. I cannot tell you how often i hear misinformation about cholesterol, b12, protien, iron, saturated fat, EFAs, and a myriad of other things that most people don't know about and don't understand how vegetarians get these nutrients from non-animal sources. I feel that it is important to educate, in general, about what the real issue is in misinformation.

'i heard. . ." followed by "that's not the case." is not enough to stop the spread of misinformation regarding vegetarianism which often puts people off vegetarianism until they're able to get information about it. If i can open that door by writing an explicitly long post with links, then that person is armed with something that is not juts "i heard" and "no it's not true" but rather an ability to engage the information thoughtfully and thoroughly and determine for themselves whether or not vegetarianism or veganism is right for them.

i'm not trying to save anyone. i'm not trying to dominate a conversation. i'm simply trying to provide information that i find helpful for people to use when deciding to become healthier or even striving toward or marginally considering vegetarianism. I'd rather that a person start in the process informed and prepared--as this reduces the chances of failure--than send them in with "no, don't worry about it."

i simply dont' find it helpful.

but i suppose this post is too long.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-20 8:24 PM (#34824 - in reply to #34468)

You may do whatever you feel is appropriate. I felt that I needed to offer up a better and more mature explaination of where I was coming from than a couple of snide comments.

I think anya just wants a little better appreciation for her posts since she's got a little more training than your average person off the street, but I'll let her explain where she's coming from.

BTW, not a vegetarian, but I do think they taste wonderful on toast. 

Edited by GreenJello 2005-10-20 8:40 PM
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-20 10:05 PM (#34833 - in reply to #34468)

jeez.

I would like to see exactly where I said you shouldn't post or your posts are too long. When I said"write a book" where was the sentiment that you shouldent post? where did i say your posts are too long? for that matter, what three posts are you talking about?i think only one person said your posts are too long. get over it.

secondly, when I read the OP I looked at it a different way, not as a question-( No ?), but as a challange, that the vegan diet is lacking. so I just posted an example of a veg sourse of b-12. that's it. then we were on to popcorn.

So you inferred that the Op was a question or she was asking for advice. fine.

again, when i wrote that write a book comment it was not meant in a mean spirit at all. you know you write long posts. If you want to be sensitive about it and take it so personally be my guest.

I am so done with this.

Posted 2005-10-21 4:57 PM (#34868 - in reply to #34468)

anya:

actually, i wasn't responding to your book comment, nor did i take it in a mean-spirited way. it seemed to me that the dialogue from GJ and between he and tourist implied that i should not post on the topic. to have more than one of these statements indicates that i should not post the information that i have--that people are not interested.

what i fail to understand is why people are not interested. what i also fail to understand is why it is considered ok to not provide educational information for others when you have it. if it was a challenge, then a reasoned response as to how or why nutritional yeast would be an appropriate alternative makes sense too, doesn't it? my idea was only to expand on what you had written.

you needn't take it so personally. i was simply taking the information that i'd read in the OP, and then deciding which way to approach that topic. Also, building on the information you provided (a vegan source of b12 in nutritional yeast) i wanted to explain the way that the RDA works and how to get enough from nutritional yeast--since that was an example that you gave.

then, it seemed to me that you got defensive about the nutritional yeast thing--giving the other alternative of the sub lingual tablet. But, explaining the differences between these two, how they function and their uses would also be important--don't you think?

just my ideas.

obviously, the OP has not returned (as far as i can tell), nor has s/he engaged the 'challenge' or the 'question' that was posed. thus, it doesn't seem that it would be necessary to continue with a dialogue about b12, but i assumed before that the post stream was new enough that a good post about it would be helpful.

now, i assume not.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)