YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Work / study -healthinsurance?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Ayama
Posted 2005-10-13 5:41 AM (#34260)
Subject: Work / study -healthinsurance?

Hello,
I didn't really know where to post this...
I am starting a work / study program in November in Berkeley / California and I am planning to stay a minimum of eight months to a year. During this time I want to have some health insurance in case something happens. Since I have been living in Austria / Europe all my life, I have no idea how this works in the US. I have american citizenship, so visa etc are no problem.
Here in Austria we have like a social security insurance from the state, where one pays around 70 USD a month and everything is covered, from medical insurance, dental insurance, accidents...
Our health system is quite good, so I am spoiled.
Do any of you know any advice? I am just a bit paranoid about what to do in case something happens, because I will not earn any money, and from what I have heard, the US is very expensive with accidents etc...
Is there an insurance where you pay something monthly, like a plan, or so and then they cover if something happens?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Namaste
Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-13 7:06 AM (#34263 - in reply to #34260)
Subject: RE: Work / study -healthinsurance?

Whoa, I hadn't thought about that. Leaving a country with great insurance to come to the U.S.? You may want to reconsider? YES, health care is incredibly expensive here. There are monthly options for individuals, but they are also incredibly expensive!

You might want to call the place where you're doing the work/study and ask them if they participate in a group health insurance that you might be able to join. They probably will not pay for any of your premiums, but it is cheaper to be with a group than just as an individual.

Or, quickly marry someone who has a job with great insurance!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-13 9:49 AM (#34267 - in reply to #34260)

Expert Yogi

Welcome to America, Ayama, and since you're already an American Citizen you can pay up just like the rest of us. Plan on spending to the tune around $300.00 per month for the bare minimum coverages....that is if your in good health and not a smoker. If you aren't in good health and smoke, you may want to stay in Austria. Kaiser Permentente is a good group and so is Blue Cross Blue Shield for someone who is new to the area. Personally, I cancelled my policies 10 years ago, I invested in my $$ in alternative weekly preventative maintenance rather than living in fear that something is going to happen. I like to deal with things as they come. This is how Insurance companies in America keep Americans on their toes and themselves in business - FEAR!!

Anyway, I would check into traveler's insurance for this purpose rather than the US Healthcare system. It might cover your needs for the eight months and be slightly cheaper. Good luck.
Ayama
Posted 2005-10-13 11:27 AM (#34273 - in reply to #34260)

Thank you! I have thought something like that might come up. It is not like I am worried about myself too much, I just don't want to be any trouble for the institute. Travel insurance requires that I am registered in Austria, which I won't be. Do you think I can pull this off without insurance ( I am healthy and I don't smoke) or should I get a travel insurance in the states when I get there?

Edited by Ayama 2005-10-13 11:29 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-13 12:06 PM (#34276 - in reply to #34273)

Expert Yogi

If I were to travel to another country, depending on where I'm going, I would buy travel insurance that is usually offered through a travel agency. It covers you if you die and have to transport your body somewhere (although, for me not needed if traveling to India, ) You buy coverage for the amount of time that your visiting the country. Sometimes they even waive pre-existing conditions, although I think it's at additional cost. I like the company Travelex. They've been around for a while and are reputable. I have an old brochure with an 800 number, it's 800-228-9792 or do a google search for them. It's been a while since I used them.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-13 1:50 PM (#34280 - in reply to #34260)

Of course it's up to you, but keep in mind that health insurance covers a lot more than preventative maintenance (some of them barely even cover that!). I've always felt it would be a good thing to have in the event of something terrible happening like a car accident or having your appendix burst. I figure I could cover a $150 office visit if I really had to, but hospital stays can run into the tens of thousands of dollars. But, I have found myself being hospitalized when I least expected it several times, so I am one that needs to be heavily insured.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-13 6:54 PM (#34309 - in reply to #34273)

Expert Yogi

Ayama - for Canadians studying abroad we keep our Canadian health insurance. You may find that Austria allows this as well, if you plan to return (or at least tell them you plan to return) and if they accept the ashram as an "educational" institution. I would contact the Austrian National health plan and check this out first. It would certainly be simplest. Good luck!
Ayama
Posted 2005-10-14 6:20 AM (#34344 - in reply to #34309)

tourist,
I thought about that aswell, but during my stay in Cali, my Austrian Visa will expire. I cannot imagine the insurance being valid then.
I checked out travelex and sent them a mail, I can always use their option for 180 days, at least if I don't find anything better.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Namaste
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-14 8:01 AM (#34347 - in reply to #34344)

Expert Yogi

Ayama,

Is that all they gave you - 180 days??? Too bad they won't extend it another 2 months or have that option. Did you ask?

If you don't mind me asking, How much did they quote you for the entire 6 months and did it have decent coverages??

Edited by Cyndi 2005-10-14 8:03 AM
Ayama
Posted 2005-10-14 11:48 AM (#34364 - in reply to #34260)

Cyndi,
they didn't mention how much it would be, said I should give them a call first. But you can check the coverages on their website: www.travelex-insurance.com
Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)