YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Direction
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

wellnesshelper
Posted 2005-10-10 2:37 PM (#34059)
Subject: Need Direction

I am looking to put together a comprehensive wellness program targeted towards reducing employee stress. Does anyone have any ideas what components to use? I was thinking of infusing general or beginners yoga sessions with some tai chi stretching and breathing. Can anyone help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-10 2:40 PM (#34060 - in reply to #34059)
Subject: RE: Need Direction

chair massages. meditation classes.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-10 3:45 PM (#34063 - in reply to #34059)

Expert Yogi

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction already. You need to have some movement, some breathing and some quiet.

Posted 2005-10-10 3:56 PM (#34065 - in reply to #34059)

these are some of the things that are successful in my area:

1. in house, 45 minute yoga sessions (during lunch hour and after work--2 to 4 a week)--tai chi is also an option

2. chair massage each week (at my husband's work, a massage therapist comes in two days a week for 4 hours each day and offers 15 minute massages in 20 minute increments)

3. comprehensive walking program--to encourage general fitness, having a walking program is a great idea. in our area, many companies have 'walking teams' who walk for 30 minutes before work, during lunch, or after work. teams compete on distances and win prizes (such as free yoga class or free massage for the team). Teams also enter into charity walks and raise money through their workplace and use their walking 'team' as motivation to 'train' for the event! (relay for life is a great one, because it's such a long walk, as is the breast cancer 60 mi).

4. offering meditation and breathing classes

5. a local nutritionist does 'healthy lunch' each month at my husband's workplace--you go to lunch (provided by her for a small fee) and discuss healthy eating habits and wellness habits for any number of topics.

does this help? if you need help finding yoga teachers, let me know.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-10 10:43 PM (#34092 - in reply to #34059)

Dear Wellnesshelper:
In my opinion, the most important thing you should do, is:

- Find the cause of the stress if that is common amongst many employees. And, try to reduce or remove that cause. For example, in mid summer 120 degrees temperature all rooms where employees work are exposed to that temperature. Then, either a) reduce the temperature of the employees rooms or b) let them go home.

- Actually, I only quoted a humorous example above. What I meant is: If each employee is working beyond their capacity, do something by which their work is reduced.

Regards
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-10 11:03 PM (#34099 - in reply to #34092)

Expert Yogi

Hear Hear, Horray for Neelbhai,

You don't know how many times I've wanted someone to say that when I was doing my *career* office thing,

Very funny Neel, that was a good one...I may have to frame it for my friends who are stuck in their office cubicles. My other favorite line is "Take this Job and Shove IT", and I really Did
wellnesshelper
Posted 2005-10-10 11:19 PM (#34102 - in reply to #34065)

Zoebird- If you could help me find good yoga instructors in my area, that would be great. I'd also love to find wellness/fitness experts as well. I'm in the Baltimore/Columbia MD area.
Thanks!!

Edited by wellnesshelper 2005-10-10 11:21 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-11 8:36 AM (#34125 - in reply to #34059)

Cyndiben:
Thanks. I once visited the Agricultural Engineering Department of one large US University. They showed me a large room where approximately 50 cows, big ones were tied to poles one for each. Lot of food was given to each. They were urinating there only, it was stinking and I could not stay without being nauseated. They also made holes into sides of some cows to see what is going on in the stomachs. These cows could not go where they wanted.

The same thing I feel happens to the ones in cubes.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)