YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I quit Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-25 5:06 PM (#47750 - in reply to #47745)
Subject: RE: I quit Bikram

Expert Yogi

I have to give credit where credit is due here. I too love the Bikram A$$ kicking...okay. I know what to expect from this practice. I know that Bikram people like to throw those words around and that's okay too, for them...I think it's okay to say that we KNOW that Bikram Yoga will kick your butt, because sometimes it does, in a good way and for the persons who are doing Bikram with this attitude, more power to you....I've been there and done that. At that time I was okay with it too and still am..I support anyone doing this type of yoga, I think its a beautiful set of asana's. However, there did come a point where I saw something in me and felt I needed something a little bit more gentler and something that fed me spiritually. I use Bikram to do just that, it helps me get to where I am at spiritually...I'm not so certain that I would be able to do that if I remained in the studio atmosphere...I don't think that's possible with any brand of yoga, because I just can't seem to grasp the spiritual side of yoga when I'm in a studio setting. I like the freedom at home to go into the asana and know what it feels like to connect...that consists of all kinds of experiences, whether it be crying, laughing and basically getting to know my SELF, it's an experience that needs to be felt alone. I like to think of the studio as a classroom to learn and at home is where I do the *real* practice of Yoga.

Anyway, this is an interesting topic and I can't believe it, i just looked out my window and it's snowing outside here today, this is so strange - isn't it spring yet??? Take care Peter and good luck to ya man.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-03-25 7:17 PM (#47765 - in reply to #47745)

Expert Yogi

Well, I knew it was pointless to be diplomatic with you lot around But I tried, I really did
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-25 11:14 PM (#47778 - in reply to #47765)

Expert Yogi

We know Tourist, we know....
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-26 8:20 PM (#47871 - in reply to #47744)

This statement disturbs me. This so against everything I learned in all my Yoga classes with all the styles I dabbled in. This attitude seems unique to Bikram.

I agree. Bikram is unique in the Yoga world
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-26 8:25 PM (#47872 - in reply to #47731)
Subject: RE: I quit Bikram too!

Cyndi - 2006-03-25 12:57 PM

Peter you really are confusing me. I don't get it actually. In your last thread you told everyone not to make the mistakes like you did and now this????[/q]

the mistake was bad diet and poor electrolyte balance, not doing bikram. If you want to do 2 hours a day of bikram you have to eat perfectly and I didn't.

Anyway, next time you get on this board and tell us not to make the mistakes that you did, and how you hurt yourself doing Awkward pose...you shouldn't come back onto another thread and contradict yourself, your not making any sense. Which makes me glad I have my home practice all the more,

I didn't say I hurt myself in awkward pose, but I heard a popping sound. My knees always ache and have for a long time.

I noticed during my first two weeks of bikram my balance and flexibility improved 50%. I made rapid progress with bikram. Am I a train wreck in progress? Perhaps--we'll see. I am taking a week off because I overdid it. I'll pick it up again next week.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-26 9:16 PM (#47875 - in reply to #47750)

Expert Yogi

Have you ever been trying the Bikram yoga without the heat?  Not too challenging, IMvHO.  The heat is everything for that practice, but the heat can apply to other practices, too:

How about a *hot* Iyengar restorative practice --Supta Baddha Konasana at 108degF...Sirsasana, later Hanumanasana -- oh, g-d that sounds like bliss...

tourist
Posted 2006-03-26 10:00 PM (#47881 - in reply to #47872)

Expert Yogi

Peter Mac - 2006-03-26 5:25 PM
I am taking a week off because I overdid it. I'll pick it up again next week.

See, this is where I have issues. I like a yoga system where you can always practice, no matter what is going on with your body. People complain that Iyengar has special practices for menstruation etc. but at least it accomodates everyone and there are VERY few instances where we are told "no practice for you." If I had to take days off when I couldn't handle the practice, I would never go.... but that is me.
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-03-26 10:28 PM (#47885 - in reply to #47881)

For me, there are times when I can't do asana practice, physically. I try, and I try, but it doesn't work at that time. It's something we struggle through, sometimes, when we're down with a flu or a busted ankle. (In those situations, I certainly wouldn't go to class, though I may try a home practice, depending on how I felt.) But I find there is almost never a time I can't practice meditation. Heck, if you've got the flu, savasana can be great, because you don't want to move anyway! :-) Some of us have bodies that just aren't very cooperative, though. Respecting that is important as well. As with all life, a balance. :-)
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-26 11:39 PM (#47887 - in reply to #33732)

ooohhh....a hot restorative class! Great idea
tsurfs
Posted 2006-06-08 10:48 PM (#55262 - in reply to #33981)

Try Forrest Yoga. 80 degree heat and very challenging. Bikram's teachers are no good.

They spit out what Bikram tells them to and have no understanding of Yoga.

How do I know. I went to his training.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-06-09 7:51 AM (#55287 - in reply to #55262)

Extreme Veteran

tsurfs - 2006-06-08 10:48 PM

Try Forrest Yoga. 80 degree heat and very challenging. Bikram's teachers are no good.

They spit out what Bikram tells them to and have no understanding of Yoga.

How do I know. I went to his training.

When did you go to training? I went in Spring 2002.
irishmeadow2
Posted 2010-03-08 11:47 AM (#121793 - in reply to #33732)
Subject: Re: I quit Bikram

Wow! I guess I am lucky that the teachers at my Bikram studio in Vermont don't treat us like military soldiers haha I need studio work mostly because I am completely unmotivated, but the heat is quite overwhelming sometimes. I will be going to my third class today and I always try to drink tons of water but the headache I get after is off-putting. I vowed to give it one month of going whenever my schedule will allow (probably about 10 times in one month) and see how I feel after that.

Posted 2010-03-08 3:07 PM (#121796 - in reply to #121793)

Erin,
There is a high probability that your headache is caused by dehydration.
jimg

Edited by jimg 2010-03-08 3:09 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-08 11:47 PM (#121814 - in reply to #121796)

Expert Yogi

It's also the high heat Jim...it's just way to freakin' high IMO,
yagonoob
Posted 2010-03-09 10:06 AM (#121821 - in reply to #33732)

I have done bikram on and off for about a year. Only thing it has done for me has increased my flexibility. Are the 26 asanas from bikram used in other yogas? Are they traditional? Do people in this thread have a problem with the asanas or is it more the heat? I skimmed through the 4 pages and saw allot of people have a problem with bikram or the instructors.

Posted 2010-03-09 11:06 AM (#121822 - in reply to #121821)

yagonoob - 2010-03-09 7:06 AM

I have done bikram on and off for about a year. Only thing it has done for me has increased my flexibility. Are the 26 asanas from bikram used in other yogas? Are they traditional? Do people in this thread have a problem with the asanas or is it more the heat? I skimmed through the 4 pages and saw allot of people have a problem with bikram or the instructors.

The Bikram asanas are used in other yoga classes as they are not "Bikram" per se. The Bikram poses are "traditional" in the same way that Iyengar or Astanga (Jois) poses are traditional. Traditional in this context means developed from a variety of sources (Indian and Western) in the early 20th century. (Bishnu Ghosh (Bikram's teacher) and Krishnamacharya (Iyengar, Desikachar and Jois's teacher) were physical fitness instructors, firmly rooted in Hindu religious traditions who are credited with developing the bulk of what is today asana practice.) The poses are often done differently and in different sequences, but are widely used. What most people's complaints about Bikram yoga are:

1. The heat
2. The fact that the teacher repeats the same monolog at every class
3. That the poses are exactly the same at every class (Astanga yoga is the same in this way)
4. The teachers often push the students hard
5. That Bikram himself is rich, famous and controversial

For some people these are minuses and they choose other forms of yoga and for some people they are plusses and they love everything about Bikram yoga.
yagonoob
Posted 2010-03-09 12:24 PM (#121824 - in reply to #33732)

I guess I have good teachers, they never say anything. In fact I've been told to take it easy by them. So assuming the person doesn't mind the heat (I don't) bikram wouldn't pose any threats to the body any more than any other yoga (unless of course you are pushing yourself to hard).

Posted 2010-03-09 1:06 PM (#121825 - in reply to #121824)

yagonoob - 2010-03-09 9:24 AM

bikram wouldn't pose any threats to the body any more than any other yoga (unless of course you are pushing yourself to hard).

Other than the heat, the potential for injury from Bikram that I see is:
1. Overdoing the back bend at the beginning of class (you are not really warmed up yet)
2. Lower back injury from forcing or bad alignment in Standing Head to Knee
3. Knee cartilage or tendon tearing or lower back injury in Fixed Firm.
4. Hinging at the lower back, compressing the lower spine and then forcing in Camel. (You need to extend the spine and lift the ribs in Camel.)

Of these, I think that #3 is probably the most dangerous if done without care.

If you start every pose at your minimum (with good alignment) and then gradually go to your maximum, keeping that good alignment the whole time, you are much less likely to injure yourself. If you are aware of what is going on inside your body and go to your maximum through progressive relaxation instead of force, your chances of injury will be greatly minimized.

Any physical activity has the potential for injury. The lack of physical activity has far greater potential for injury and disease.

amyf
Posted 2010-03-11 10:24 AM (#121856 - in reply to #33732)

Veteran

Everyone has different bodies but also different like and dislikes......... I LOVE the heat and feel warm and Im not talking about in the studio but I mean the reg. temp. Im always cranking the heat in the car putting on a sweater ect my hubby on the other hand is a polar bear and loves the cold air and like to feel cool. My mom looks at yoga and laughs and would never catch her in ANY class of ANY type .... my sister loves yoga but not hot yoga I love hot yoga not everything is for everyone all the time I dont like meat my hubby loves steak ..... the list goes on and I think you get my drift.
My point is I just really dislike it when based on their own experience people try to force their own beliefs or likes or preferences on others. When some one tells me how I should run my day or spend my time or foods I should eat or not eat ect... its MY body let my figure out whats best for me.
I want to add too that there is a difference between someone saying hey... you know I tried this and really liked it you should go check it out ... rather than TELLING me what to do and invading my personal space.
OK theres my two cents LOL
Ram
Posted 2010-03-15 7:19 PM (#121929 - in reply to #33732)

Every form of exercise has a degree of risk in it. If you dont listen to your body and go past your abilities you will get hurt. Bikram has the potential for all that because you are really pushing yourself in there.

As for the pushy arrogant type teachers I find most Bikram teachers to be of the gentle variety more then pushy. But I dont pay a lot of attention to personalities anyway. If you do you should ask yourself why you allow people to influence you so easily. When I'm in a bikram class it's all about me and my practise.
fernmanus
Posted 2010-04-04 1:34 AM (#122220 - in reply to #33732)

I quit Bikram for around 8 months after practicing for 2 years 5-6 times per week. I started doing it again because my wife is a devoted Bikram fan and I like doing yoga with her. I am glad that I left Bikram for a while as I learned some valuable lessons that I have incorporated into my Bikram practice.

1. Breathing - Most Bikramites don't realize how important breath is to a strong yoga practice. I am not just talking about breathing through your nose, but a steady strong mindful breath throughout the practice.
2. Competition - sure they tell you when practicing Bikram to only focus on yourself, but there are mirrors up on the wall in front of you. The key really is to be mindful of your own practice and ignore what others are doing.
3. Boredom - the same 26 asanas grows boring and I have noticed that long-term students that practice 5 times a week or so are often sloppy in their alignment (see #2 above - I just can't help but noticing!) That was the primary reason I decided to quit, I was just bored doing the same thing over and over. I now do Bikram 2 - 3 times a week and do Anusara or Power on the other days.
4. Heat - I live in a cold clime and I like to think of Bikram as a short tropical vacation. The heat never bothers me any more.
5. Ignore the hyperbole and just listen for the cues. I can tune out most of the silly stuff and just wait for the cues. This allows me to focus on my breath and move with mindfulness.
6. Relax your face - Look around a Bikram class and notice how many students are grimacing.

After my Bikram class today, we were talking about the new scan card system that was recently installed. My friend next to me said that one day they will replace the teachers with robots. Another student said, "some days it seems like they already have." Most Bikram teachers have memorized the script and they can probably recite it in their sleep. They are also pretty good telling you when you are out of alignment, but do they teach mindfulness, integrating breath, meditation, and the divine nature of each person.

I really enjoy Bikram now, but I can't imagine only doing Bikram, there is so much more to yoga than what is taught in a Bikram class.

Posted 2010-04-04 4:26 AM (#122221 - in reply to #33732)

this is an old thread resurrected.
amyf
Posted 2010-04-04 9:57 AM (#122224 - in reply to #33732)

Veteran

i laugh every time I see this one..... OF COURSE there is more to yoga than Bikram and more to life than yoga. Everything is balance and I'm getting the feeling that the people that are getting frustrated are people that are taking it to that unbalanced and unhealthy level. grow change share love thats what its about
BD Cooper
Posted 2010-04-06 8:45 PM (#122272 - in reply to #33732)

In a recent TV interview Raquel Welch, at age 70, stated that she does yoga in a 110 degree room at 6AM every day. Ladies if you want to look like her; don’t quit Bikram.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-04-08 10:18 PM (#122303 - in reply to #122272)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for that reminder Cooper.....she looks freakin' hot for almost 70!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)