YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I quit Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

seandre
Posted 2005-10-05 12:28 PM (#33732)
Subject: I quit Bikram

I had to quit because I was hurting myself instead of improving my health. I haven't been to Bikram studio in 2 weeks and I feel great. As you know, I hyperextended my knees and probally tore some cartilage in my knees. As a result, fluid was leaking behind my knees (Baker's Cyst). For the last 2 weeks, I have been practicing Iyengar and Tony Sanchez Yoga Challenge Series. The Iyengar style of yoga showed me that Bikram beginning yoga is limitted in the overall development of the body.

Sean
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JackieCat
Posted 2005-10-05 3:03 PM (#33750 - in reply to #33732)
Subject: RE: I quit Bikram

Extreme Veteran

Hi Sean-

I quit Bikram back in May (after practicing for 4 years and teaching for 3) and also feel great. I used to have recurring neck problems that haven't surfaced at all since I quit. I still practice vinyasa yoga a couple of times a week (in an unheated room) and continue to enjoy it along with my other activities.

Glad you're enjoying Iyengar and Tony S's series!

Posted 2005-10-05 3:26 PM (#33751 - in reply to #33732)

i am glad that the two of your found systems that work for you and that are bringing about the healing thta you need.
seandre
Posted 2005-10-05 4:20 PM (#33763 - in reply to #33750)

My knees have felt better since i stop doing bikram. Also, it was hard for me to focus on my breath because of the heat.

Posted 2005-10-05 5:23 PM (#33767 - in reply to #33763)

Overall, I believe Bikram is too limiting with heat impedeing rather than helping; however, for some people it's perfect, for many it's a great yoga starting point. I still miss it on occasion.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-05 7:17 PM (#33779 - in reply to #33763)

Expert Yogi

The great thing is that it got you started, got you to pay attention to your body and what is best for it and you and you didn't give up on yoga entirely Enjoy pain free yoga! (oh, and if you practice long enough you will probably get hurt again - most of us do. But you have a heads up now on how to deal with it )
gilclopez
Posted 2005-10-05 10:37 PM (#33795 - in reply to #33767)

Bruce - 2005-10-05 2:23 PM

Overall, I believe Bikram is too limiting with heat impedeing rather than helping; however, for some people it's perfect, for many it's a great yoga starting point. I still miss it on occasion.

Hi Bruce,

It's interesting that you say the heat is impeding. I think the room between 99-102 degrees farenheit is perfect. During our class, the temperature usually starts around 100 or so. Towards the end of class it begins to get really hot and the heat begins to fatigue my body much faster. When I take a look back to read the temperature, it's usually between 106-108. I wish they kept the room right around 100 rather than 105+. It'd make my class about 2 times more enjoyable.

Are there some clinical studies that show 105 is a perfect temperature or did Bikram just pull that number out of his butt? Hehe. Does anybody know?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-05 10:57 PM (#33796 - in reply to #33795)

Expert Yogi

I quit Bikram a good while ago, after two years+ of daily practice. I've never
looked back on the yoga. Sometimes I do miss the nice people with whom
I used to practice, however.

Bay Guy
yogabrian
Posted 2005-10-06 1:03 AM (#33800 - in reply to #33732)

Gil,

In truth, most research out there proves that working out in temp over the body temp IS bad for you. Bikram did pull it out of his butt. It is not true that working out in the high heat it is good for you. Warm is ok, super hot is not. Too good is no good.

I would love to see Bikram produce an actual document that was researched and proves that it is good to workout in temp over the body temp.

Brian
davedog
Posted 2005-10-06 1:17 PM (#33830 - in reply to #33800)

so, you are saying it is 105 degrees in bikram's...ahhh... back room?
designaire
Posted 2005-10-06 1:51 PM (#33832 - in reply to #33732)

Bikram stole the heat idea from India's weather. Then tried to copyright it.

I'm also joining the I quit bikram party since it seems to make me tighter if I do it often.
seandre
Posted 2005-10-06 3:07 PM (#33837 - in reply to #33832)

The same thing happened to me. Did you tighter in the low back and hamstrings? Did you also feel tired?
designaire
Posted 2005-10-06 3:52 PM (#33843 - in reply to #33837)

seandre - 2005-10-06 3:07 PM

The same thing happened to me. Did you tighter in the low back and hamstrings? Did you also feel tired?

I was tighter in my hips and hamstrings after doing Bikram and when I would try to do ashtanga afterwards, I would always feel tighter. I think Bikram yoga builds muscles which also make you less flexible. I guess I was sore too much.

Well, I am 6 months away from being 50 so maybe it was just too much. I still have some classes to use up, however. I might do it once in a while but I'm curious how I'll feel when I stop all together.
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-10-06 5:17 PM (#33849 - in reply to #33732)

KNEES:

A few months ago there was a great thread that dissected locking the knees in Bikram class. I know Innerline posted some great info; probably YogaDancer, YogaBrian and Tourist, too. (I'll just refer to them as the "Veteran Yoga Gang"). Anyway, the message I got was that when the Bikram teacher screams at you to lock your knees, you should not think of locking as much as lifting the kneecap and engaging all the muscles around the knee. For me that advice took the mental and psychological pressure off my mind during class. Perhaps this is too simplistic, especially if you have burst Baker's cysts, but I found it comforting.

HEAT:

As a person who loves the heat and doesn't sweat that much normally, I find consecutive Bikram classes completely draining due to the amount of fluids I lose during class. All that loss of fluids made my hypotension (low blood pressure) worse. I get really dizzy for 24 hours following a Bikram class.

I am always on the lookout for a Bikram-lite class. Not so hot or perhaps not as long. Now I only do Bikram once a month It bums me out but I just don't feel good when I do Bikram but there's something very compelling about "his yoga".

To me Bikram is like a colonic - it's good to get the crap out of your system but too much (or too many colonics) isn't good for you.

I love this website b/c it's like a Bikram-12-Step-Recovery Program
tourist
Posted 2005-10-06 7:14 PM (#33856 - in reply to #33843)

Expert Yogi

Janet - I hit 50 last month as so far it is great Welcome (soon) to the club!
Mitch
Posted 2005-10-07 11:09 AM (#33889 - in reply to #33732)

Is it too late to get in on the "I quit Bikram" club?

I'll always be thankful for Bikram bringing yoga to me, but I got tired of fighting the heat. Same thing goes with hot power yoga. I also suspect that my first year or so of Bikram laid the foundation for my meniscus tear.
designaire
Posted 2005-10-07 11:34 AM (#33892 - in reply to #33732)

You're never too old or too sick or injured to get into the "I quit Bikram" club.

You can be too young for the 50 and over club however. (Thanks...glenda)

Edited by designaire 2005-10-07 11:40 AM
seandre
Posted 2005-10-07 1:07 PM (#33896 - in reply to #33889)

I also have a meniscus tear.
catherine
Posted 2005-10-07 2:55 PM (#33904 - in reply to #33732)

I definitely like certain things about Bikram, but I have been noticing lately (after practicing for just over 3 months) that I am so drained after class. And not just immediately after class, but for the rest of the day and the next day sometimes. I still can't do other forms of exercise along with Bikram without really doing myself in, so I am thinking about trying another style - probably Iyengar.
Another thing that I have noticed (related to what I mentioned above) is that practicing Bikram with regularity has an adverse effect on music practice. I play classical guitar and practice for a few hours per day. I notice that my technique is so much better and solid when I haven't practiced Bikram that day. Don't know if anyone else has a similar experience.
seandre
Posted 2005-10-07 3:53 PM (#33909 - in reply to #33732)

Did you experience an over development of muscles around the knees? This could be related to performing 26 asanas each time.
itchytummy
Posted 2005-10-07 7:20 PM (#33921 - in reply to #33909)

Back to the old Bikram controversy again! I love all this debating and complaining! I tell all the hardcore bodybuilders at the gym I work at that if they're training for a show, in order to lose excess water, go do some Bikram. If they don't mind practically killing themselves trying to lose that last 5 lbs. of fat, might as well kill themselves just a little bit more by losing all that water--some people will do anything to win a competition.
jaybird123
Posted 2005-10-08 4:41 PM (#33974 - in reply to #33732)

Regular

I quit after two years. I practiced in San Diego and went to two different studios and usually attended 4 classes a week. I like the poses and the heat, what I can't stand is the instructors and their attitude that pushes students into injuring themselves or passing out. What is scary is that the instructors feel perfectly justified in this attitude, if you confront them on it they will usually spout "Bikram Dogma" such "maybe you need to take a look inside yourself" etc. I've run into other ex-students (these were long time students) who have said the same thing. Does Bikram teach his instructors to be stupid and stubborn and why do they harass students?

How is it that on organization can take something so good and handle it so badly when it comes to students?

I'm upset because I believe in the practice but got tired of leaving class in a pissed off mood.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-10-08 5:07 PM (#33976 - in reply to #33974)

Extreme Veteran

jaybird123 - 2005-10-08 4:41 PM

I quit after two years. I practiced in San Diego and went to two different studios and usually attended 4 classes a week. I like the poses and the heat, what I can't stand is the instructors and their attitude that pushes students into injuring themselves or passing out. What is scary is that the instructors feel perfectly justified in this attitude, if you confront them on it they will usually spout "Bikram Dogma" such "maybe you need to take a look inside yourself" etc. I've run into other ex-students (these were long time students) who have said the same thing. Does Bikram teach his instructors to be stupid and stubborn and why do they harass students?

How is it that on organization can take something so good and handle it so badly when it comes to students?

I'm upset because I believe in the practice but got tired of leaving class in a pissed off mood.

If you practiced at the studio I think you practiced at in San Diego, I'm surprised you made it 2 years- you deserve a medal. The person I'm thinking of opened one of the first studios in San Diego, is a senior instructor who usually teaches at Bikram Teacher Training and to say that he is slavishly devoted to Bikram would be an understatement. His wife is similarly devoted and has the fake Indian accent to prove it (she's from Brooklyn). Maybe you're not talking about them, but your instructors sound awfully similar in behavior.

Have you tried other studios or does the studio you don't like have a lock on the market?
jaybird123
Posted 2005-10-08 6:44 PM (#33981 - in reply to #33976)

Regular

JackieCat - 2005-10-08 5:07 PM

If you practiced at the studio I think you practiced at in San Diego, I'm surprised you made it 2 years- you deserve a medal. The person I'm thinking of opened one of the first studios in San Diego, is a senior instructor who usually teaches at Bikram Teacher Training and to say that he is slavishly devoted to Bikram would be an understatement. His wife is similarly devoted and has the fake Indian accent to prove it (she's from Brooklyn). Maybe you're not talking about them, but your instructors sound awfully similar in behavior.
Have you tried other studios or does the studio you don't like have a lock on the market?

There are other studios in San Diego county but there are other factors such a location, traffic etc.
I like the heat and its my hope that another form of Hot Hatha Yoga will come along.

"Fake Indian accent" LOL, is that what that is?

Actually, his studio was the second one that I tried even though I had heard horror stories about him from some other Bikram refugees. I actually enjoyed his classes, he knew when to back off, and how to push people without pissing them off. Some other members of his staff are a different story. I did try going back to my previous studio a couple of times but nothing had changed in regards to the head instructor's attitude, comments such as "that pain is just change" or "why are you worried about that, today is a different day, maybe it will be ok" is kind of scary. .

Maybe i'm just burnt out and thats exacerbated my attitude. My girlfriend has been relieved that I quit, I have been sleeping better and I'm not tired all the time. I am doing Pilates, which I enjoy but I miss stretching out in the heat and hope something else comes along.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-08 11:07 PM (#33993 - in reply to #33981)

Expert Yogi

jaybird, might I suggest trying some other yoga classes? You may find it is the yoga that you are missing more than the heat. Pilates is great, though. A wonderful system, especially if you have a good teacher.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)