YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Master Cleansing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-11 1:14 PM (#36364 - in reply to #33674)
Subject: RE: Master Cleansing

Cyndi is right.

I think Bikram yoga is cleansing enough, don't you guys think so?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-11 2:08 PM (#36367 - in reply to #36364)

*Fifi* - 2005-11-11 1:14 PMCyndi is right. I think Bikram yoga is cleansing enough, don't you guys think so?

My buttock is marked "Exit Only"!
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-11 2:16 PM (#36371 - in reply to #33674)

Good plan!
trick
Posted 2005-11-11 6:17 PM (#36389 - in reply to #33674)

Well, I haven't made it to the store yet to get the psylium. As far as dangerous goes, I don't think it goes into the extremely dangerous category. I mean sure, it could be, if done in a horribly reckless fashion. But then, so could eating fish - watch out for bones! . Using gravity to carry out a colonic isn't going to put much stress on your colon. Water goes in slowly and comes out slowly. That's it. Hey, don't get me wrong - as I said, I'm beginning to think this whole colonics thing is a scam, and frankly, most of this cleansing stuff. But, nothing wrong with a little research to help figure stuff out, rather than just drawing baseless conclusions. We'll see. More later.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-11-12 10:18 AM (#36407 - in reply to #33674)

I decided to forgo the colonic and take everyone's advice and it's worked out great. I increased my water and fiber intake and cut back on eating, altogether. My digestive system is working wonderfully now and I didn't have to sandblast my colon! That makes me a very happy girl!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-12 4:03 PM (#36428 - in reply to #36389)

trick - 2005-11-11 6:17 PMHey, don't get me wrong - as I said, I'm beginning to think this whole colonics thing is a scam, and frankly, most of this cleansing stuff.

Yeah, the only cleansing rituals I've heard of that seem to make sense is fasting.  The neti pot is good, but I'd put it in the same ball park as brushing your teeth.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-12 11:04 PM (#36453 - in reply to #33674)

There is NO thing like Fasting for cleansing. Actually, in an absolute sense, that is the only cleansing for physical side. However, it has to be done properly, and preferably under supervision if it is a long term.

neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Miabella704
Posted 2005-11-13 1:23 PM (#36463 - in reply to #33674)

Do you recommend complete fasting with just water consumption or "juice fasting"? When I worked for a coupla years at a health food store a coworker of mine would fast for ten days consuming nothing but fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juice. Seemed to work just fine for her. I'd like to fast but I want to make sure I do it right.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-13 9:32 PM (#36485 - in reply to #33674)

I recommend the following:

a) if you are doing the fast on your own, first read 'Fasting Can Save Your Life' by Dr. Shelton.

b) if you are going to do fast on your own, then start doing one day at a time without any food and only with water. This should be done once in a while only, say once a fortnight or once a week. If you feel good and develop sufficient experience, and confidence, say for 6 months at least, then try two days at a time, say for another six months. Once you develop confidence of 5 days at a time, then think of going more.

c) If you are not thinking to do it on your own, or you are thinking to do more than 5 days without previous experience as given in b) above, then you must consider supervised fasting.

d) If all this is not possible, or you do not feel confident to do without food (that is only with water) then, do with juice, extracted fresh at home or just suck the juice out of fruit and throw the fiber out.

e) During fasting, you may or may need a good amount of rest. That depends on what your current situation is.

f) If all above seems complex, then you must do it under supervision only for first few Years.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Orbilia
Posted 2005-11-14 5:48 AM (#36497 - in reply to #36407)

That's great news Miabella!

I've recently taken uo stage 1 Jala Neti and have seen improvement in my life-long tendency toward sinusitis.

Fee
Miabella704
Posted 2005-11-14 9:00 PM (#36598 - in reply to #33674)

"f) If all above seems complex, then you must do it under supervision only for first few Years."

Can you come over and supervise? Just kidding! Actually, thanks for the advice and support. If and when I do the fast I'll know who to go to for help with any issues that come up.
Will my skin get blotchy or anything like that?

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-14 11:40 PM (#36608 - in reply to #33674)

No. Supervision of fasting has to be done by the person who has already supervised fasting people in a large number, let us say for 10 years and say 1000 or more people. Now, if thousand is not available, then at least 100s. And, at least the person himself/herself should have done some fasting. ha ha ha.

Supervision of fasting is NOT to be done by a Yoga Teacher.

Anyway, just for info, I did all the steps except supervised fasting given above. And, in 1998, just before my Yoga School was opened, I had done 25 days fasting on Water (with some Tea which had milk and sugar) each day. And, I did not take any special rest, as I did never feel tired in that.

But, on the other hand, I did NOT do any long fast after the above period, because, I never thought I needed.

In other words, do NOT come to me for Supervised Fasting. If you want a Yoga Whip, it is always ready.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-15 10:15 PM (#36677 - in reply to #36608)

Expert Yogi

I just want to add that what Neel is saying is totally correct. For my own personal fasts.. I do half day fasts at least 3, sometimes 4 times a week. All I do is drink water and chai and then have one meal later in the afternoon, that's it. I also do all day fasts in between these times. I find that if I do this, I feel so much healthier and I get more energy from the fast. You would be so surprised at how much energy your body has to go through to digest food. This is the reason that these so called *master cleansing's* are so bad, because they traumatize your body at an alarming rate that is not good for your internal organs - all of them, heart, kidney's, liver, gallbladder, stomach etc. You cannot keep them balanced and in harmony when you do some of these so called techniques...you can however be very patient with yourself and do the slow fasting's which is the same thing if not better - period. Also, when you fast, you eliminate Ama from your body which is a type of sediment and its created by combining foods improperly, things your body cannot eliminate, etc. - it's an Ayurvedic term. It's like *engine sludge* in a car, so to speak,
Miabella704
Posted 2005-11-17 6:09 PM (#36809 - in reply to #33674)

Thanks, Cyndi. I never thought of doing a half day fast. That would be a great way to get into fasting slowly.

Posted 2006-01-28 11:06 PM (#42252 - in reply to #33674)

i'm gearing up for a ten day master cleanse on monday.
its kinda a new years resolution, and the time is right because i'm out of food...
my friend libby just finished, and she had a really good experience.

if i can go seven days, i think i'd be satisfied, but ten is my goal, y'know?
us yogis have some strange health practices.
but i find "normal" health practices to be much stranger.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-30 10:34 AM (#42366 - in reply to #33674)

hey Dhanura:
Do not forget to take extra rest during the master cleansing. Otherwise, you shall spoil master's premises.

Posted 2006-01-30 11:05 AM (#42369 - in reply to #42366)

any suggestions on asana/sequencing to practice while fasting?
i certainly plan on toning down my usual vigorous routine, and i would like to practice asana to help me cleanse my guts.
i could certainly look for those myself, but if anyone has suggestion for pointing me in proper direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-30 12:04 PM (#42377 - in reply to #42369)

Expert Yogi

I just have a question?? What is the goal of this type of cleansing and what kinds of things are you going to do?? Like, are you going to eat anything at all?? I'm with Neel on this one, I think rest is more important than doing any asana's. Besides, if you've never done anything like this before, your body may go into shock and therefore, resting would be the best thing to do, not Yoga Asana's. 10 days seems like way too much. I hope you have a way of keeping yourself cleansed afterwards, otherwise it would seem like a waste of time and efforts.

Posted 2006-01-30 4:33 PM (#42393 - in reply to #42377)

as you are well aware cyndi, everything works if you let it...

you don't totally abstain from consuming nutrition. you drink this concoction of spring water, fresh lemon juice, cayenne pepper and grade b or c maple syrup.
here is a good website: http://www.falconblanco.com/health/cleansing/lemoncleanse.htm
the lemon and cayenne loosen and purge toxins out of your system, while the maple syrup keeps your blood sugar up.
anyways, i've done this before, so i know about what to expect.
as for my goals? cleansing toxins out of my joints and muscles is pretty near the top, and purifying my mind from all the crazy crap thats been jumping around there recently...

10 days is actually the prescribed minimum for this diet. it is not uncommon for people to go over. generally 40 days is the limit...generally...
during this time, myself and others usually report increased energy levels, and ability to work deeper in asana. once the digestion process turns off, all that energy is redirected to other bodily systems (as i understand).
also, during this time, toxins are much more susceptible to purging, which is why i am curious about asanas that will help do that...

other activities for fasting include: meditation, reading, cleaning my house, schoolwork, sega, walking around outside (why isn't it cold?), conversing with friends, NOT smoking weed, bathing, resting and pondering the difference between romantic and universal love...

i'd say i have my plate full...

Edited by dhanurasana 2006-01-30 4:35 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-30 7:27 PM (#42410 - in reply to #42393)

Expert Yogi

Well, it definitely sounds interesting. I don't think I could do it according to your outlined plan though, which means my body wouldn't let it, I would need something less extreme, then maybe I would consider it. I would also want a guide and someone there to hold my hand if doing it that long again. I've been on fasts like these and didn't do so well after I came off. I ended up looking like a skeleton when I was done, it was hard to eat afterwards and my body literally cut me off of food. I thought I could live on air, You know that women are the best fasters didn't you???

However, I did read Yoga journal's article this month about a woman and her husband who was at this fasting retreat somewhere in Spain. Very interesting. She stayed on the fast for I think only 5 days and called it quits. I loved the article, it was good. All about how she respected herself for NOT going though the entire time allotted for the fast and for honoring herself for coming off and doing it for the short time that she did. Even though the others at the fast retreat gave her the cold shoulder for quitting, like UGH, that is the worst part...dealing with PEOPLE like that, !!!

If I were to do such a fast, I would definitely not be able to perform certain duites, such as household cleaning, the dog, the barking parrot who yells at me, no children allowed, dealing with my business and the outside world. Yep, I would need a retreat type place to hang out, like Costa Rica or Spain, My liver would do a major upsurge and it would make me terribly cranky if I had the normal things going on. I think I would also want to do Tui Na's and Acupuncture to help balance me as I went along, is that cheating??? Then, I would probably want to do some asana's. I would need restorative postures I think. Probably a Bikram series every 3 or 4 days wouldn't hurt to maybe balance things out, WITHOUT ANY HEAT THOUGH, Then I would need to reconstruct a plan to get me back to eating again.

Anyway, good luck. Don't over do it and be safe.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-30 10:44 PM (#42426 - in reply to #33674)

dhanurasana:
I do not have right to state it so emphatically. But, since you are a sincere yoga student:

I wish to state that taking cayenne pepper is a ridiculous thing out of all you mentioned. You shall find that if you exclude it, you will even find it better for you. All others are OK, actually maple syrup is not needed too. But, cayenne pepper, that is rubbish.

I thought you were just going to fast.

Posted 2006-01-30 11:07 PM (#42432 - in reply to #42426)

neel:
i appreciate and value your opinion. really!
the master cleanse calls for lemon, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water. i suppose it is inaccurate to say that i am fasting if i am taking this concoction.
i'm no molecular biologist, so i can't say what exactly this is doing for me/to me. however, it has been effective in the past. this system is what i'm doing, so i'll take what it recommends.

i'm certainly open to trying fasting, though. i would need to learn more about it. other than you just stop eating....

also, why is cayenne pepper rubbish? the book states that it "breaks up mucus and increases warmth by building the blood. it also adds many of the b and c vitamins."
with utmost respect, i ask for explanation.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-31 10:12 AM (#42463 - in reply to #42432)

Expert Yogi

Dhanurasana,

Did you read that article in YJ, Feb. Issue that I mentioned previously?? You really should read it. It's called "Purity in Portugal", page P.45 under Travel. This was a 14-day juice fast, but vegetable broth at night. Lots of yoga, meditation, chanting, ab massages and in a retreat type setting. Actually, I think I would like something like this...then to go out afterwards and eat Spanish food...yummy!! I would want to be there for a month to recoup.

Posted 2006-01-31 10:35 AM (#42469 - in reply to #42463)

i did not read that article. however i would certainly like to.
my yoga journal subscription should have started coming months ago, but those school magazine sales are just so unreliable...

i like the idea of doing my cleanse while still engaged in my day to day life. it really pushes me out of the box (even further), and gives me a new perspective to look at my bizarre (?) routines.

incidentally, i quart of lukewarm saltwater is much more appetizing after not having eaten for a day...

i'll check that article out, cyndi, thanks!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-01 3:36 PM (#42604 - in reply to #33674)

dhanurasana wrote: also, why is cayenne pepper rubbish? the book states that it "breaks up mucus and increases warmth by building the blood. it also adds many of the b and c vitamins."
with utmost respect, i ask for explanation.

Cayenne pepper is rubbish because it contains poison which is acidic which system has to rid off quickly, otherwise it irritates the mucus lining of the entire digestive canal, and also blood vessels if finds way into the blood. Cayenne pepper does not break mucus. It irritates the mucus lining. Mucus lining sends fluid to keep the cayenne pepper away from itself. This fluid also releases the thicker mucus if there is any on the mucus lining. Next, CP does not increase any warmth. The blood flow is increased in order to increase the fluid excretion, getting rid of cayenne from the blood into urine and out, and through sweat if necessary, and all possible ways. So, the feeling of warmth comes, but the purpose is to remove CP. Thus, the body energy wasted for removing CP, because CP does not build body. Yes, CP has vitamins and so does many other things such as feces from various animals. Everything contains vitamins. But, the negative effect of CP supercedes any absorption of these vitamins. In fact, absorption is hindered as CP is removed expressly. These vitamins can be obtained from orange, kiwi, bananas, which are NOT poisonous.

The program which contains CP is ridiculous because it is based on immediate feeling of warmth and comfort at the cost of big damage.

Peace
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)