YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Master Cleansing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-04 6:32 PM (#33674)
Subject: Master Cleansing

I'm really, really interested in purchasing the Master Cleanse kit and doing the fast/cleansing for ten days. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I would kind of like to know what I'm getting into and if there are any warnings.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-04 6:53 PM (#33677 - in reply to #33674)
Subject: RE: Master Cleansing

a cheaper yet just as effective route would be to eat raw for a coupla days,(lots of high fiber fruits and veggies)  drink pysillum 2x a day and/or take in some flax oil.

you could also get 100% cranberry juice (really sour) and mix x of that with a gallon of water, and finish the gallon throughout the day.

some of the "kits" have pills that contain herbs, and though the herbs may not be dangerous you never realy know the concentration of active ingredient in them. could be a miniscule amount then you'd be wasting money. just my 2 cents.

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-04 7:54 PM (#33680 - in reply to #33674)

http://www.humblebeehealth.com/en-us/dept_1.html

Here's the info. I have thought about a do it myself juice/water fast. This just sounds so effective.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-04 9:33 PM (#33687 - in reply to #33674)

I am a skeptic at heart. it sounds effective because they are selling it to you. it's just stuff you can buy in the store and do yourself. cayenne, lemon, pepermint tea, and maple syrup. big whoop. plus shipping!

besides, where are all the scientific studies backing up what they are saying? I know I am bursting yur bubble a little here but i tend not to believe advertisments in general. if you want it, go for it.

this looks more effective anyway: www.colonblow.com

anya

BTW, I have no idea why that bug eyed smiley popped up in my first post. strange.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-04 9:35 PM

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-04 10:15 PM (#33688 - in reply to #33674)

I know what you mean. That's why I'm on here asking you and anyone else to help me not make a compulsive decision about this. People will say anything to make a buck.
I really need a good cleaning out. I'm scared of a do-it-yourself fast. I'd rather follow a tried and proven formulaic way.
I'm hoping someone on here has some good suggestions. If you don't do the detox/fast right the toxins can move to a different part of your body or not leave at all.
What about colonics? Anyone know about those? I used to work at a health food store and people swore by them.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-04 10:27 PM (#33690 - in reply to #33688)

Miabella704 - 2005-10-04 10:15 PM I know what you mean. That's why I'm on here asking you and anyone else to help me not make a compulsive decision about this. People will say anything to make a buck. I really need a good cleaning out. I'm scared of a do-it-yourself fast. I'd rather follow a tried and proven formulaic way.

I don't see where Master cleanse is tried or proven.

I'm hoping someone on here has some good suggestions. If you don't do the detox/fast right the toxins can move to a different part of your body or not leave at all.

What? where do they go? I have never heard of this. what toxins? if there in your colon they can only go but one way.

What about colonics? Anyone know about those? I used to work at a health food store and people swore by them.

I am telling you, fiber. it's cheap, it's natural, it comes in yummy forms and it IS proven. green apples, plain oatmeal, raw foods and cranberry juice.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-04 10:28 PM
Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 1:57 AM (#33703 - in reply to #33674)

No, I'm sure there is a huge buildup of crap I've eaten in the past, like red meat, just rotting in my colon. I used to smoke and drink and eat terribly. I am vegetarian now and I eat plenty of fiber. I'm having problems with my colon and stomach and have been for some time. I don't want to go to the doctor and have them feed me prescription drugs, which is what they will do. I want to try something to just clean everything out.I've just heard rumors that these types of cleansings make you feel lighter, less bloated, increase metabolism, etc. All I'm asking is if anyone on here, obviously not you, has tried this product or process and how did it make them personally. If you have not tried this then I'm not asking for your opinion. If I wanted just anyone's off the street opinion I'd corner a street vagrant and get their's. It would probably be just about as accurate.
And, by the way, there are plenty of toxins built up in our bodies, even if you live a pristine life, which most of us don't. How do I know this? Well, I found out from the same people who weaned me off a three year daily antibiotic regimen I was on for chronic urinary tract infections. I haven't had a urinary tract infection for two years. I was averaging every 6-8 weeks even on the daily dose of meds.
tinyone
Posted 2005-10-05 2:42 AM (#33705 - in reply to #33674)

Never done it myself but my cousin did do a master cleanse...she fouind the recipe and diet on the web somewhere. It was the whole lemon juice and hot water and maple syrup thing. I don't know specifics but she felt much lighter afterward. I do know people that swear by the benzonite (sp?) clay thing that removes all of the decayingmatter from your colon. I haven't tried it but boy have I seen pictures of my friends "results". Bizarre but when all was expelled she felt lighter and almost high....something that she compared to an adreneline rush. I am so tempted to try something like you are wanting to do because after quitting many bad habits myself, I would like to start again with a cleaner slate! Let me know what oyu decide to do ...I am curious.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-05 7:35 AM (#33708 - in reply to #33674)

no need to get snarky. you asked for opinions, i gave mine, i didn't know it had to be what you wanted to hear. if you want to buy something off a internet pop up, and injest it,go ahead.

FWIW, in the society we live in we will always ingest pollutants, you can ever fully detoxify your body. also, i have seen convincing scientific arguments that over use of cleanse kits, colonics and intense fasts can actually upset the normal rythms of the body and exacerbate problems.

I would like to point out that my opinion would definitley be more accurate than a street vagrants.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-05 7:40 AM

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 7:43 AM (#33709 - in reply to #33674)

Miabella704 - 2005-10-04 6:32 PM

I'm really, really interested in purchasing the Master Cleanse kit and doing the fast/cleansing for ten days. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I would kind of like to know what I'm getting into and if there are any warnings.

This post was addressed to anyone who has personally tried this product. It was not simply an opinion poll.

And what the h**l does "snarky" mean? LOL!!!!!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-05 9:00 AM (#33715 - in reply to #33708)

I've just been checking the site I use for reading scientific papers. The general concensus seems to be that a healthy diet with sufficient fibre (soluble and insoluble) and a low stress lifestyle/personality/outlook should result in a healthy digestive system provided that you don't have an underlying condition (weak sphincters, cancers, diverticulitis, sluggish peristaltic action, etc).

I have suffered from IBS in the past and the ****y digestive system you describe is somewhat familiar to me in my low-aggro phases of IBS. It may be that previous infections, antibiotics, diet, etc have left your natural flora a bit off-balance. Have you tried eating a live yogurt or yougurt drink each day (I am, of course, assuming you include dairy :-) )? I think there are also vegan-friendly pro-biotic supplements available too?

IMO if you are fasting/cleansing for the first time it may be wise to consider doing this at a retreat or similar location under expert guidance.

Fee

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 9:26 AM (#33716 - in reply to #33674)

You two may have a point. Snarky? Don't take me the wrong way. For some reason I come off as gruff on the internet. I actually have a great, off color, sense of humor. I do appreciate the input, actually.

I am a bit skeptical about these cleansing "detox" things. I'm even more skeptical about someone putting a hose up my tailpipe multiple times to clean everything out by force. I am just trying to find natural therapies that can help me.

You know, I can't find very many yogurts that don't contain gelatin. As a vegetarian, I don't eat gelatin. Everyone is adding gelatin to yogurt now to make it "creamier". I do need something. I'm also getting recurrent yeast infections. I'm just a big ol' mess and I'm only in my thirties. I'm really not ready to start falling apart just yet.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-05 10:07 AM (#33720 - in reply to #33703)

Miabella704 - 2005-10-05 1:57 AMNo, I'm sure there is a huge buildup of crap I've eaten in the past, like red meat, just rotting in my colon. I used to smoke and drink and eat terribly. I am vegetarian now and I eat plenty of fiber. I'm having problems with my colon and stomach and have been for some time. I don't want to go to the doctor and have them feed me prescription drugs, which is what they will do.

Okay, this bothers me a bit.  Most doctors are not perfect, but they usually have a decent understanding of human anatomy, or at least enough to be able to determine if there's something grossly wrong with you.  Western medicine is very good at fixing physical problems, and they should be able to at least confirm your theory.  I think I'd go to the doctors office anyway, but maybe look for one that specializes in homeopathic or natural remedies.  If you can't find one like that, go anyway.  You don't actually have to take the pills if you don't want, and it's perfectly fine to disagree with the doctor.  As long as it doesn't cost too much, it can't hurt.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-05 10:37 AM (#33723 - in reply to #33716)

Regarding the geletin issue. Perhaps you could write to a couple of yogurt manufacturers explaining the problem for vegetarians and seeing if they produce a range suitable for you? They should also be able to tell you if there is a supplier local to you.

I'm in the UK and my local supermarket carries a number of vegetarian suitable pro-biotic yogurt and yogurt drinks (these are marked with a V).

As I mentioned earlier, I think there are pro-biotic supplements you can add to your regular food too now. Certainly my vet recently gave me some for my cat after he'd been on nearly a month of antibiotics to treat an anal abcess. If they're available for pets, I should think there's some out there for humans?

The recuring yeast infections are a classic post-antibiotic problem. I've found eating the live yogurt from day one of a course of tablets prevents my getting them. On the worst occassion, I even got dandruff in my eyebrows, let alone the ol' feminine itch problem (thrush)!

Plain, live yogurt can also be applied directly to the skin to sooth and cure fungal infections (jumbo pot-fulls whilst sat in the bath is the easiest method of application).

On the same science site I mentioned earlier, there was also a paper on he use of of psyllis over a number of days prior to a colonoscopy in the hope it would improve visibility. Contrary to expectations, the results actually indicated a little greater retention of fecal matter and lower visibility!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-10-05 10:45 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-10-05 10:45 AM (#33725 - in reply to #33720)

Expert Yogi

I've done a cleanse with expensive stuff from a naturopath and I honestly believe the idea of eating raw, drinking lots of something nice like cranberry juice or lemon with maple syrup or good honey would be just as effective. I also have serious digestive issues. It did help and I did feel much lighter - for a little while. I have recetnly found that eatin oatmeal and flax meal (I grind it in my coffee grinder) has a similar effect and is a heck of a lot cheaper. Not only that but it is something I can maintain over months and not feel deprived.

The cleanse also made me feel very tired and drained (common, I hear) which is maybe why it is often suggested to do them while on retreat so you can get good rest and get other treatments to help.

Digestive: the things I have found most beneficial are regular practice, inversions, twists and supported back bends. I am not cured in any sense but have essentially no IBS type symptoms and am able to manage the reflux much, MUCH better.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-05 10:47 AM (#33726 - in reply to #33674)

i have been doing a LOT of research on goats milk yogurt(for my holistic nutrition class). it seems a lot of the issues with dairy can be solved with goats milk alternative.

for instance, GM is more like human milk, has almost no lactose(which is the allergen i believe) higher grade vitamin A, has inherent antibodies (used by third world countries to cure tuberculosis) and is more digestable.

www.redwoodhillfarm.com  has no gelatin. and the goats are really wel treated.(unlike most dairy co's treat the cows) as a vegan, i would feel comfortable with this company.

ETA: i am the queen of snarky. Pumpkinhead makes me do it.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-05 10:51 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-05 10:59 AM (#33727 - in reply to #33725)

Cranberry juice has been shown in clinical trials to be an effective means of treating cystitis. This may indicate that it alters the body's pH (I need to check this one out). As the optimal pH for ridding oneself of cystitis is dimetrically the opposite of that good for eliminating fungal infections, it's possible this may not help matters. However, it's not going to hurt to try and will be eliminated from the body quickly if it's not helping you.

Lemon juice is very cleansing and is one of natures disinfectants. As your flora may be a bit off kilter at the moment, it's possible that this should only be used after balance has been restored as you may not require any more of nature's little helpers killed off at the moment :-)?

Honey, IMO, is a must as lemons are just too sour on their own

The oatmeal effect is no surprise. There's plenty of evidence showing that many IBS sufferers improve after adding porridge to their diets as it's often a shortage of soluble fibre that needs rectifying and oats are a good source of this. Often IBS sufferers experience worsening symptoms after 'improving their diet' as they add bran which is a good source of insoluble fibre. The result is akin to swallowing razors as insoluble fibre irritate further the already inflammed epithelial tissue lining the gut wall.

Oats have also been used for centuries in skin soothing masks due to their anti-inflammatory properties.

I agree about the benefits of fasting at a retreat. If you feel your digestive issues are, in part, due to stress, the added benefit of going away would be to sign-on for some stress-busting activities.

From what I remember about a recent TV programme on an extreme coffee enema / fasting cleansing course, such practises can also release some fairly powerful emotions. I think this is one of the reasons novices are recommended to cleanse under expert guidance too.

Excellent post about the goat's milk yogurt :-) You could also consider investing in a home kit for making yogurt. That way you would be in control of the ingredients.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-10-05 11:04 AM

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-05 11:08 AM (#33728 - in reply to #33674)

Agree with the yogurt discussion - being on anti-biotics will definitely throw off your system! I believe Stonyfield Farms makes gelatin-free yogurt products, even smoothies. Also Kefir is a great pro-biotic, so I hear (haven't actually tried this, because I can barely choke down yogurt and kefir sounds truly gross). You can buy it at health food stores or make it at home, I'm told there are recipes online.

I tried the warm water + lemon + maple syrup + cayenne pepper route for a while. I did make it at home, though, I didn't know there was something you could buy. The flavor is strangely addictive! I can't say that it gave me a great deal of bowel comfort; things moved a bit more smoothly but it was not dramatic. I had some extremely bad habits too - lots of drinking, smoking, greasy food, caffiene, you name it. That's a lot to ask of a humble lemon slice and a dash of pepper.

For drama, you can try senna tea! Health food stores always have tons of different kinds, usually under the name "digestive ease" or "weight loss" tea. Japanese Slim Tea is a big brand for senna. My friend and I tried it and decided it should really be called Japanese Poo Tea because it REALLY makes you have to go! It actually made things move a bit too dramatically for my tastes. Regular diarrhea isn't too friendly for your system either.

I haven't had a colonic per se, but two colonoscopies that basically started out the same way. A big glass of castor oil or Fleet's Phosphosoda followed by a firm hosing out. Gotta clean that sucker out if you want to see clearly, right? Also had a lower G.I., like a colonic but using that creamy metallic fluid instead of water. Can't say that any of these experiences were pleasant or helpful in any way. Really they all made me feel exhausted and horrible. I'm sure a colonic is not so violent, because it's a therapy and not a medical procedure. I'm still not signing up!

For me, the only thing that honestly helped was increasing the fiber in my diet. A LOT. I rarely go a day without eating plenty of legumes, vegetables, fruit, whole grains (brown rice, ww pasta or bread), etc. Plenty more than the average person, but I had a lot of problems with digestion and that's the only thing that keeps things moving briskly. If I do go a day or two without enough fiber, I know it immediately.

Think about it this way: you didn't fill up your bowels with garbage overnight. So, trying to clean it out overnight is probably not going to be the solution you're hoping for. Sounds like you're leaving some of your old bad habits behind, which is great! Even if you still have bad habits, moving toward a clean, whole diet can only help. I still indulge in junk food, beer, and caffiene when the situation calls for it! But since 90% of my diet is clean now, the garbage moves right on through quite fast. Obviously it's still not ideal, but I think the overall impact to my body is not as bad as it could be (or once was).
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-05 12:40 PM (#33733 - in reply to #33728)

Amazingly enough, cayenne pepper has a very soothing effect on temperamental intestines, contrary to all expectations :-).

The other spice I should have mentioned earlier is ginger. My mother could eat the crystalised form until it comes out of her ears so she shakes most of the sugar off by rolling a hand-full at a time in a sieve over the sink. I prefer ginger ale (not so strong as the beer).

Fee

Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 3:38 PM (#33753 - in reply to #33726)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-05 10:47 AM

i have been doing a LOT of research on goats milk yogurt(for my holistic nutrition class). it seems a lot of the issues with dairy can be solved with goats milk alternative.

for instance, GM is more like human milk, has almost no lactose(which is the allergen i believe) higher grade vitamin A, has inherent antibodies (used by third world countries to cure tuberculosis) and is more digestable.

www.redwoodhillfarm.com  has no gelatin. and the goats are really wel treated.(unlike most dairy co's treat the cows) as a vegan, i would feel comfortable with this company.

ETA: i am the queen of snarky. Pumpkinhead makes me do it.

You study holistic nutrition? Ok, you do have a respectable type of background to be dispensing advice. How awesome! I'd love to study nutrition but there are no programs in my locale.
And I hope you know I've used the term "snarky" today on two separate occasions ("Hunter sit down and do your homework!! Anymore snarkiness from you and you're grounded til Saturday!"). See? I've found new forms of it!

We should do an experiment. Five of us on here do the Master Cleanse thing and five (the control group) do just high fiber, etc. and see if there are differences in the results.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-05 3:47 PM (#33754 - in reply to #33674)

if you are interested in holistic studies, this college has a distance program: www.achs.com

snarky is a great word. i wish i had made it up.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-10-05 3:48 PM
Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 3:48 PM (#33755 - in reply to #33674)

You didn't make it up?? LOL!!! Just kidding!!! What is that, a Jersey thing? I'm from Baltimore and I've never heard it before. Guess it would do me well to crawl out from under that rock every now and again.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-05 3:55 PM (#33757 - in reply to #33674)

My grandmother used to use snarky all the time, and she is from Pittsburgh. So of course my mom uses it all the time! She tells her dogs to quit being snarky all the time.

I, on the other hand, tend to use less colorful and less printable language!
Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 4:01 PM (#33760 - in reply to #33674)

Snarky is a great word. Pittsburgh? Must be something with your family. My parents now live in NE Ohio, near Pittsburgh. Still have never heard it before.

I'll tell you what. I'm going to get the garden hose out........just kidding. I'm going to actually go have a colonic therapy done and then I'll write a post about that worked out for me.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-05 6:03 PM (#33769 - in reply to #33754)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-05 3:47 PM

if you are interested in holistic studies, this college has a distance program: www.achs.com

Hmmm... link goes to one of those annoying portal/ad sites the cyber squaters use.  Trying other variations doesn't seem to help, what's the correct link?

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)