YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

BKS Iyengar
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

sdaraio
Posted 2005-10-04 11:17 AM (#33641)
Subject: BKS Iyengar

Went to the Iyengar event in SF yesterday. I was surprised that it was a tribute and celebration of Iyengar rather than Iyengar speaking. He is well loved here in the Bay Area. It was a sweet event. I just started the book and it looks like a winner!

Stacey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-13 10:18 PM (#34327 - in reply to #33641)
Subject: RE: BKS Iyengar

Expert Yogi

I saw a piece in the New York Times today about Guruji's visit
to LA and elsewhere. The Boston event had speeches, music, films,
and a long conversation with Guruji. NYC's event will feature a
choreographed asana demonstration. DC will probably be great as well.

Guruji is well loved everywhere, and I can only add that it's easy to see
the reasons why...His influence has touched, and changed, my life.
sdaraio
Posted 2005-10-13 10:36 PM (#34329 - in reply to #34327)

Hey BayGuy,

My friend and I were wondering about the fact that people call him Guruji--is Iyengar considered an awakened being and does he take students in the traditional student/Guru relationship?

Stacey
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-13 10:43 PM (#34331 - in reply to #34329)

Expert Yogi

Hmmm... Guruji is a composition of Guru (teacher) and -ji (respected older person).
My observation is that, yes, he takes students in the traditional guru/student relationship.
As for being an enlightened being, that's a loaded term with so many attached meanings
that I wouldn't want to say "yes"....but if you read his books, or hear him speak, or
interact with him directly, you could very well conclude that he is enormously intelligent
and extremely knowledgeable about yoga.

sdaraio
Posted 2005-10-13 10:49 PM (#34332 - in reply to #33641)

Yeah...while guru can be translated as teacher--it has been my understanding that it refers to a spiritual teacher--a person who can lead you into an understanding of your non-dual nature. Certainly his life's work and newest book are a testament to his incredible depth of knowledge of yoga. Thanks.
Stacey
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-13 11:29 PM (#34333 - in reply to #33641)

Dear sdaraio and brother Bay Guy:

This is the story: guru means a spiritual mentor of a spiritual student. In some circles, guru is also used as the ONLY one master teacher of an art student, such as that for a music student, or Sanskrit language student. guru is NOT any teacher, guru means the highest position for that student in terms of the subject at hand, in terms of authority and reverence to.

Guruji: is a calling name for teacher in India, especially in Maharashtra where Iyengar lives and where I was born and he saw me as a baby. There guruji is used for all teachers. In his case, that is the reason it became his name. Guruji is does NOT mean enlightened being.

For enlightened being, generally, guru is extended to gurudeva, such as that for Swami Sachidananda of Yogaville (NOT extended to guruji).

Additional Information: swami is used for a monastic person in general, swamiji is a respectful calling for the same person. Maharaj is used for a saint or enlightened being such as those who guide many a persons spiritually.

Regards
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
sdaraio
Posted 2005-10-13 11:48 PM (#34336 - in reply to #33641)

Thank you so much brother Neel for that clarification!

Stacey
tourist
Posted 2005-10-14 9:49 AM (#34353 - in reply to #34333)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for that clarification, Neel. When Geeta was here we were told to call her "Ma'am" or "Geetaji". I felt a little hestitant to say Geetaji since it sounded to my ear like something only family or close friends would use. But like anything, once it is explained and there is an opportunity to practice a bit, it is ok.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-14 2:51 PM (#34380 - in reply to #33641)

ha ha. let me tell you one joke: When I first came to USA and started working, there was a lady in our project, who was probably around 40+, I was 30. She was Martha. I called her Madam a few times. Then, one day she was mad. She said, 'Neel, do not call me Madam. That makes me feel old.' I asked her what I should call her. She said, 'either just Martha. Or Hi Baby'. I chose the former, she did not look like the later in any sense.

I have students such as Edji, Johnji, etc.

Neelji
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-14 7:37 PM (#34406 - in reply to #34380)

Expert Yogi

So, can I change my name to Cyndibenji, but not like as in benji the dog, but as in sisterji,
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-10-21 11:32 AM (#34857 - in reply to #33641)

I just wanted to pipe in another praise for Iyengar's book its a great description of what yoga is and how to apply it to your life in very easy-to-understand way. He sounds much more compassionate in this book compared to Light on Yoga (which the only other one of his books I read). I'm really enjoying it.

Although I am primarily practice ashtanga, I love Iyengar's all-inclusive approach to yoga. I saw him at a book signing last week and the people standing in line with me were incredibly diverse and I enjoyed listening to them talk about their yoga experiences. Such an amazing man, with an amazing spirit.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)