YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A ? for Neel about the Brahman
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 11:54 PM (#33157)
Subject: A ? for Neel about the Brahman

Expert Yogi

Well, and if anyone else wants to chime in feel free to do so...

Neelbhai,

I have a very important question about the Brahman. A couple of years ago when I was visiting the South Indian Hindu Balaji Temple, I asked the priest about why there was not a statue of the Brahman and why the Brahman was not worshipped in the temple. He tried to give me an answer, but his English wasn't very good. He told me something to the effect that something had happened with the Brahman and therefore, there was no way that he could be worshipped in the temple.

After reading this book - the Brahma Sutras that you recommended, it has brought this question up again for me and I still have yet to find my answer. Do you have any insight or answers to my question?? Danyabaad.

Cyndiben
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-09-28 10:05 AM (#33179 - in reply to #33157)
Subject: RE: A ? for Neel about the Bra

Dear Cyndiben (Ben means Sister, otherwise people will derive wrong meaning, such as you have done with Brahman. See below.):

Namaste. There are two different things: Brahmaa (pronounced with double a) and Brahman ( I shall now write this as brahman).

Brahmaa - is the deity which pictorially sits in a lotus which sprouts from the naval of Shree Vishnu. This is the deity responsible for creation. It is also called prajapati, which means the lord of praja, the people or population. This Brahmaa is at the most a higher level being which can do mistakes. At one time, he created Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, who was extremely beautiful. Now, he got attracted to her and wanted to marry her. So, he ran after her. Also, he has commited other mistakes. This type of mistake is also performed by Indra, the king of demigods. (For my friends with non Indian backgrounds, Brahmaa and Indra are not considered a real GOD, as considered in some other religions. They are deities resposible for certain functionality. ) Because of these mistakes Brahmaa and Indra are not given the highest respectable, that is worshippable place, and there are no temples. Actually, there is ONE of each of them somewhere I do not know.

brahman - this is the final truth, which is formless, and which one realizes when one attains kaivalyam (Patanjali), Moksha (entire Indian Philosophy, including puranas), Nirvana (Buddhism, a direct outcome of Vedantic Philsophy, modified by Gautam Buddha to suit to the then Social Structure, later refuted by Adi Shankaracharya), XXXX (Living in the Kingdom of God, Christiannity), etc.

brahmasutra describe the nature of brahman. They have nothing to do with Brahmaa.

Regards
Neelbhai
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-28 10:48 AM (#33188 - in reply to #33179)
Subject: RE: A ? for Neel about the Bra

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2005-09-28 10:05 AM

Namaste. There are two different things: Brahmaa (pronounced with double a) and Brahman ( I shall now write this as brahman).

Brahmaa - is the deity which pictorially sits in a lotus which sprouts from the naval of Shree Vishnu. This is the deity responsible for creation. It is also called prajapati, which means the lord of praja, the people or population. This Brahmaa is at the most a higher level being which can do mistakes. At one time, he created Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, who was extremely beautiful. Now, he got attracted to her and wanted to marry her. So, he ran after her. Also, he has commited other mistakes. This type of mistake is also performed by Indra, the king of demigods. (For my friends with non Indian backgrounds, Brahmaa and Indra are not considered a real GOD, as considered in some other religions. They are deities resposible for certain functionality. ) Because of these mistakes Brahmaa and Indra are not given the highest respectable, that is worshippable place, and there are no temples. Actually, there is ONE of each of them somewhere I do not know.

Neelbhai,

As you can obviously see, my Hindi is terrible. YES, I was looking for the story about Brahmaa, NOT the Brahman. You described exactly what the Priest in the temple was trying to convey..except his English was bad and Satyam had a difficult time understanding his South Indian language which is different from Hindi and Nepalis. Thanks for clearing that up. I do understand the nature of the Brahman as Ultimate truth. However, since I knew the Brahman is formless, I was confused about the Brahmaa and how that could be.

I too have heard that about the Brahmaa and Indra temples. That would be an interesting place to visit.

Cyndiben NOT Cyndi been was here, or Cyndi been here, just ben,

and Neelbhai could be a NeelDhai in Nepali language if I knew his age,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)