YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweet potato with coconut milk
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-27 10:42 AM (#33053)
Subject: Sweet potato with coconut milk

Whipped Sweet potatoes with coconut milk

4 medium sweet potatoes, skinned, cubed

salt,pepper

1 tbsp butter or Earth Balance

2-3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger

light coconut milk

Place sweet potatoes in pot with water to cover. cook till fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and return to pot. season with salt, pepper, and butter. add in grated ginger, mixing all to soften the potatoes.

add the coconut milk slowly, whisking until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning adjustments.

(from Karri Allrich's book recipes from a vegetarian goddess)

i used a hand mixer on low cause i am lazy)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 1:10 PM (#33068 - in reply to #33053)
Subject: RE: Sweet potato with coconut milk

Expert Yogi

Hi Anya,

That's a nice recipe. I have so many variations for Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk. Satyam's favorite food is Pumpkin, milk and rice. He cooks the Pumpkin with Methi aka. fenugreek and ghee. It's getting to be that time of the year for *orange* vegetables.

Anyway, I've never heard of Earth Balance????? I use Ghee.

For anyone who likes traditional mashed potatoes, you can always add a couple of sweet potatoes to the pot. I used to sneak these in on my kids and they loved them.

I use the hand mixer also, it makes them smooth.....

Thanks again,

Cyndi
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-27 1:59 PM (#33070 - in reply to #33053)

Earth Balance vegan butter-like substance. healthier alternative for those with cholesterol issues.(or vegans) can't tell the difference at all. yummo!

Yeah, i am in an orangey mood, thats why i posted it. i LOVE after making jack-o-lanterns , stewing the pumpkin insides and eating it on toast with a little maple syrup or brown sugar.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 2:34 PM (#33071 - in reply to #33070)

Expert Yogi

Anya,

What is the deal with your avatar??? It is similar to the Nepalis flag, by way of shape.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-27 2:46 PM (#33072 - in reply to #33053)

it is an actual sign found in malaysia. it is a person in a wheelchair going very fast down a mountain into the jaws of an alligator.

it's a joke with my friends, a signal that things just can't get worse.

I'll change it soon. my avatar is my moodring.

Posted 2005-09-27 3:05 PM (#33078 - in reply to #33053)

last year, my SIL made mashed sweet potatoes with pineapple in it. it was really great. so, there's another addition that can be made.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 3:25 PM (#33084 - in reply to #33078)

Expert Yogi

I don't know Zoebird if I could handle pineapple in my sweet potatoes. That's one of those food combining no no's for me. As much as I love pineapple, it is one of those fruits that my body's constitution has to handle by itself. As for sweet potatoes, that is a rarity item that I only eat seldom due to the effect it has on my triple burning space. To eat them with pineapple would have a counter effect for me since Sweet Potatoes are good for yin deficiencies, and treats constipation and diarrhea, pineapple on the other had treats diarhea and abdominal swelling and is sour as well as sweet. Sometimes together is not always correct..especially for us older people. You younger people can have at it though,

Posted 2005-09-27 3:30 PM (#33087 - in reply to #33053)

well, i like it. i'm thinking of trying it with the coconut milk. i haven't had it that way.

usually when i make them, i make them spicy and use veggie broth instead of milk and butter. i like the flavor.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 3:35 PM (#33088 - in reply to #33087)

Expert Yogi

Spicy??? Are you like nuts??? Sweet and spicy does not go very well together for my pitta dosha much less my vata. Well, I would love to hear how your triple burner fairs after eating all that, Probably the only thing that will save you is the fact that you didn't add the milk and butter. In that case, I could probably eat them mildly spicy,

BTW, when Satyam cooks with Methi, it balances out the dish, therefore making it not too sweet and too heavy for the kapha dosha. Methi is really good for diabetics and drying dampness which eating too many sweet potatoes, cocunut and milk could potentially do. SP's also plays hell with the kapha dosha if eaten in excess without the Methi. Which is why Indians use this spice in a lot of dishes.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-09-27 3:40 PM

Posted 2005-09-27 3:49 PM (#33089 - in reply to #33053)

i find that kapha doshas are the most interesting to learn about. my sister is this one predominently, and she does best on a mild "meat and potatoes" kind of diet. it's rather interesting.

i, though, do much better on spicy, lots of veggies, moderate eggs and dairy--no need for meat--and very few grains/potatoes. I only have SPs a couple times a year. I only have potatoes a couple times a year! i find that if i eat them too often, i get lethargic. But, if they're spicy or tart (from the pineapple for example), then i do ok.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 4:00 PM (#33092 - in reply to #33089)

Expert Yogi

Actually, kapha dosha's do better on the spicy food. Kapha dosha's have to be careful with potatoes, milk and dairy, though. Are you sure you're not a kapha person Zoebird??

Anyway, Pitta is my dominate dosha and I must avoid all spicy food. I will eat spicy food on occasion, but that is it. I don't like potatoes that much either...although, I do eat them with Cauliflower...the traditional Nepalis dish way.

Posted 2005-09-27 4:11 PM (#33094 - in reply to #33053)

i could be confusing my dohsha balancing concept with my dominant dosha concept.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-27 4:30 PM (#33097 - in reply to #33094)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-09-27 4:11 PM

i could be confusing my dohsha balancing concept with my dominant dosha concept.

Don't worry, they are not as cut and dry as they may seem. I use the dosha concept more of as a guideline not a definitive way of life. I find that the knowledge of Ayurveda has helped me tremendously when making food choices for myself when I KNOW something is out of balance within me and my family. It's more of an intuitive thing with my family, (which is about 85% accurate), however, I did get everyone diagnosed so that I could know how to treat them when sickness and their being out of balance happen.

I use TCM principals with mostly everything I do. It seems to be a more complete and balanced method of use for me and I've studied and practiced it longer than Ayurveda. Especially with using acupuncture and balancing the meridian channels. Ayurveda is a simplistic form of medicine which is very similar to TCM, I just don't have many sources available to live my daily life in a balanced way using strictly Ayurvedic methods. I don't like Triphala and the way it tastes, Of course, some TCM herbs are just as bad too,

Edited by Cyndi 2005-09-27 4:39 PM

Posted 2005-09-27 4:37 PM (#33098 - in reply to #33053)

that i do know! and, there are layers within layers within layers.

i usually get them flipped.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)