YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates or Yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

sbinkier
Posted 2005-09-22 1:40 AM (#32632)
Subject: Pilates or Yoga?

Hi! I'm new and I would like to find out what would be my best bet.

I took one lesson of yoga and really liked it but, looks to me that pilates might have what I'm looking for.

This is me: I have scatered lower back pains that come now and then, some people had told me that I have a weak power house, the posture of my back is most of the time arched. When I'm standing, looks like my feet are ahead of the rest of my body and my body is not that flexible.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks to every or anyone for the time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2005-09-22 8:30 AM (#32638 - in reply to #32632)
Subject: RE: Pilates or Yoga?

you really need to try both and see which one YOU enjoy best. Pilates could definitely help. you might want to try doing both fow awhile.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-22 12:45 PM (#32661 - in reply to #32632)

There are certainly great benefits to both! Why only pick one?
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 1:37 PM (#32674 - in reply to #32661)

i just started taking pilates, and i think it will help my yoga, especially balance poses and inversions. plus, it's a nice change.

Posted 2005-09-22 4:41 PM (#32698 - in reply to #32632)

definately try them both and see which one you like best.
tourist
Posted 2005-09-22 7:49 PM (#32712 - in reply to #32698)

Expert Yogi

I agree - take both for awhile. Don't judge from one class. I have a student who has a strong Pilates practice with a very well qualified teacher (she learned from JP himself) and her yoga has improved a ton as well as many of her injuries are less painful.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-09-22 9:02 PM (#32715 - in reply to #32632)

I've been taking yoga for a couple of years now, and just recently started taking pilates.  My main impedus was to work on my powerhouse, which I knew our local instructor was really good at focusing on.  I like both, pilates provides some spice to my practice.
sbinkier
Posted 2005-09-23 10:49 AM (#32775 - in reply to #32632)

Thank you all very much for your feedback. I will join pilates and yoga class. Though I liked yoga from the one day that I practiced, it has been my dream to have a toned body with straight natural posture, and, I thought only pilates could help me with that. Now that I've heard so much about yoga, I got a little confused.

I guess it is a good idea to try them both. Again, thank you for taking your time to answer my question.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-02-01 4:01 PM (#42605 - in reply to #32632)

I have been doing yoga for a few years now and I've just started taking pilates as well. I felt like I reached a plateau in my yoga because I can't seem to connect with my core muscles. Since I've started Pilates, I have been starting to actually feel my stomach muscles working instead of my back. I'm really excited to continue and see how it helps me in my yoga practice!

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-01 10:28 PM (#42619 - in reply to #32632)

Well that depends on what exercise in Yoga you did, and what in Pilates you are doing!
MaryMary
Posted 2006-02-05 7:40 AM (#42912 - in reply to #32632)

have found the combination particularly good for lower back and abs strengthening ... I do yoga with Rani Kalal at her new Yogarani sapce in Dublin and classes with their Pilates teacher Maryam --- I definietly suggest them as complementary practice
Siridharmagalli
Posted 2006-05-14 10:21 PM (#52581 - in reply to #32632)

Private pilates classes on equipment will lock you in to a form you cant wiggle out of and your
alignment will be noted, and your muscles strengthened without gravity with resistance,
good for osteoperosis prevention.

The purposes are totally different. One is eyes closed think of God, the other is eyes open
think of your butt. One is to have a divine body, one is to have an animal body.

consider your purpose. From tailoring of a scoliosis to learning balance for skiing or playing polo.
Advanced Pilates for healthy bodies gets very acrobatic, very gymnastic.

It was invented for men before the dancers took it over.
Some people like gadgets, no better gadget than a PIlates TRap Table!

Siri Dharma Galliano
Certified Kundalini Yoga by Yogi Bhajan
Certified Pilates by Romana Kryzanwska
Jane2
Posted 2006-12-15 3:28 PM (#71783 - in reply to #32632)

If it was purely for enjoyment, I'd do only Yoga. But since I want a lean/strong/sculpted mid-section, I do Pilates too.

I'm a runner and the Pilates and Yoga really help to 'stretch' me out on days off from running..
idance
Posted 2007-03-07 3:32 PM (#79503 - in reply to #32632)

Why not both? I like both and do both. I guess I like Yoga more but I see no reason not to enjoy and benefit from both.

belle vie
Posted 2007-03-12 7:04 AM (#79894 - in reply to #32632)

Veteran

Now that almost a year and a half have passed since you started Yoga and Pilates have you discovered your best program?

I do both and find that the combination is more satisfying to me. I love to swim but that has often been restricted to the summer months. I wanted a program that provided a rather complete workout for the rest of the year also. For the past three or four years, Yoga and Pilates together seems to suit me.

I hope you keep up with them and good luck! Toss in a little salsa and you'll feel great!
gigi1234
Posted 2007-03-23 8:33 PM (#81014 - in reply to #32632)

I like both Pilates and yoga. Why must we be so rigid in our thinking? I like to do some Pilates first to get warmed up and then follow with yoga. I think that the Pilates is great for strengthening the core, like other people have noted. I don't really understand why people are so dogmatic and inflexible in their thinking. Plus, we are all individuals and what works for one person may not be right for another.
pilateschic
Posted 2008-07-04 9:59 AM (#108900 - in reply to #32632)

I'm a PIlates teacher but I don't thing either one is better than the other I just like Pilates better because there is more movement. I would not mix them together however because I don't think that you get the true benfit of either excersise. Yoga is more holding poses and a breathing technique that comes from your belly. Pilates is a choreographed series of excerisises that must be done in the correct order and for the most part we never stop movment.The breathing in Pilates comes from the ribcage. Using your mind is essential for both Yoga and PIlates. PIlates is using your mind and body together as one.You should take each class a couple of times and see what works better for you but they both take a lot of work and doing them interchangably might prove a little confusing
Cynthia
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-04 11:29 AM (#108904 - in reply to #108900)

"Yoga is more holding poses and a breathing technique that comes from your belly."

This can be true but is not accurate when taken over the full range of asana practise (the physical movements of yoga). Some forms are very vinyasa focussed, i.e. you are doing a sequence of movements in a continuous flow. Indeed, some forms set a fixed sequence of poses in the same way as Pilates. Try telling an Ashtangi or a Bikramite that they stop moving between poses!

Breathing in yoga may be from the belly but is not exclusively so either. In fact, intermediate to advanced pranayama concentrates on accessing the entire lung and in building control and capacity in the breath when considered from the physical level. Individuals may be told to focus on certain techniques by their tutor as most of us have a preferred lung location dominant over the others - some are belly breathers, others mid-lung or near throat. At least one technique actually sequences in three breath cycles so that all three regions are accessed with control.

I also seem to remember one study that showed experienced, pranayama practising yogis had breath capacity and control at levels equivalent to those seen in synchronised swimmers and unassisted deep divers!

Yoga is entirely about unity of body and mind to free the spirit from earthly concerns so implying that mind-body unity is unique about Pilates is completely erroneous.

I agree that running the two in parallel might be a bit confusing if you're a novice in both. If you've practised one for a while, I wouldn't think taking on the other would be a problem. After all Joseph Pilates took yoga and fused it with other physical practises to create what you teach :-)

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2008-07-04 11:34 AM
Charan Saini
Posted 2009-03-08 8:20 PM (#114351 - in reply to #32632)
Subject: Re: Pilates or Yoga?

Hi,

I enjoy yoga more because I feel my whole body has been lengthened and strengthened whilst my mind as been tranquil , the mind body connection factor is the highlight for my yoga practise, pilates is complimentary with yoga. Good luck
john
Posted 2009-03-09 5:56 AM (#114363 - in reply to #114351)

I know almost nothing about Pilates and have never attended a Pilates class, however I'd be interested to hear more about Pilates and people's perception of the difference between yoga and Pilates. There are quite a number of different types of 'fitness and wellbeing systems' and it is not feasible to explore all of them with all the time that would take, and the various course fees too. I have heard one person say that Pilates is akin to yoga but without the Indian 'mumbo-jumbo' and I wonder if that view is widespread. Having explored yoga for several years I am mightily impressed at the way the asanas work deep into the spine and hips and chest and other joints, mobilising and strengthening....but I do sometimes wonder about the 'mumbo-jumbo' aspect of yoga as it is so often taught with its frequent reference to the historic Indian view of the human body - chakras, bandhas etc - which things just are not part of modern scientific knowledge of our bodies.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-09 8:57 AM (#114365 - in reply to #114363)

Very good question John. This is my personal reply to you:

1. Since you said time is a problem factor for you, there is NOT much point in going to know Pilates for you as any new system knowledge can come only if you have sufficient time. Also, you have to try out the new thing few times.

2. Since you are doing Yoga quite a bit and have found it useful, and since Pilates is but a subset of Yoga in a way (I teach Yoga to several advanced Pilates Certified famous teachers! See the my website testimonials.), you would not find much extra benefit by going to Pilates over what you already have.

3. However, as you said correctly, Pilates is based on Yoga poses minus the mental part of it.

4. The mumbo jumbo you call is so for you. But, for some others that is vital part of Yoga, without which the Yoga Exercise is but a fitness exercise, similar to Pilates. In that respect, if you want only fitness, Pilates might satisfy you better because you do not have to listen to mb or vital part. But, then you have to switch from yoga to it to manage your time.

Best Luck.

john - 2009-03-09 5:56 AM

I know almost nothing about Pilates and have never attended a Pilates class, however I'd be interested to hear more about Pilates and people's perception of the difference between yoga and Pilates. There are quite a number of different types of 'fitness and wellbeing systems' and it is not feasible to explore all of them with all the time that would take, and the various course fees too. I have heard one person say that Pilates is akin to yoga but without the Indian 'mumbo-jumbo' and I wonder if that view is widespread. Having explored yoga for several years I am mightily impressed at the way the asanas work deep into the spine and hips and chest and other joints, mobilising and strengthening....but I do sometimes wonder about the 'mumbo-jumbo' aspect of yoga as it is so often taught with its frequent reference to the historic Indian view of the human body - chakras, bandhas etc - which things just are not part of modern scientific knowledge of our bodies.
fernmanus
Posted 2010-08-07 12:44 AM (#124558 - in reply to #32632)

John,

I have found it interesting to learn that most yoga instructors know very little about pilates and vice versa.

Pilates is NOT a subset of yoga. Rather, it is a discipline that incorporates aspects of yoga and other disciplines (gymnastics, Calisthenics, acrobatics, etc.). Pilates does share some basic principles with yoga including the importance of breath control, and a mind-body connection. What makes pilates special is that the primary focus is to control movement. That is why the dance community has embraced pilates. Other athletes are discovering the benefits of pilates as well.

I personally have benefited from pilates as it is more dynamic than my usual style of yoga (Anusara) and it has helped me really key into specific muscles. Sessions do typically offer a greater amount of core work that will enhance your yoga practice as well. I have been practicing yoga on a daily basis for 3 years and I have found pilates to augment my yoga practice rather than distract me from it.

Edited by fernmanus 2010-08-07 12:56 AM
troytracon
Posted 2011-03-29 1:32 AM (#207996 - in reply to #32632)

I just started taking pilates, and I think it will help my yoga, especially the balance poses and investment. I think that the Pilates is great for strengthening the core, like other people have noted.

Edited by troytracon 2011-03-29 1:33 AM
lexuslelly
Posted 2011-04-04 3:32 AM (#208035 - in reply to #32632)

I do both and found that the combination is more satisfying to me. I love swimming, but that has often been restricted to the summer months. I wanted a program that provides a more complete training for the rest of the year also. During the last three or four years, yoga and Pilates together I think the example.

Edited by lexuslelly 2011-04-04 3:32 AM
rose11
Posted 2011-04-15 3:30 AM (#208134 - in reply to #32632)

Pilates and yoga, both are different things. First of all please try it both. As you said you had taken classes of yoga. In Pilates classes we are using advance technical equipment to exercise. Pilates has a quick and long term result also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)