YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

****** Off
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

booga
Posted 2005-09-21 10:21 PM (#32615)
Subject: ****** Off

http://www.praisemoves.com/ChristianAlternative.htm

Who wants to join me in a national advocacy group to let Christians and others know that yoga is NOT evil?????

Check out this site. SOmeone just sent it to me and said, "Oh I am afraid for you, watch out, yoga is brainwashing you into worshiping people and kissing their feet"

Anyone who is interested, let me know. I think we should put together a website so that people do not be taken advantage of by some propaganda loving cult wannabes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-21 10:29 PM (#32617 - in reply to #32615)
Subject: RE: ****** Off

Expert Yogi

Oh, we talked about that silly woman once before on these boards.
I feel sorry for her. She's so bound up in her fear and prejudice...may
Sri Ganesha grant her wisdom.
Dragon
Posted 2005-09-21 10:52 PM (#32621 - in reply to #32615)

GreenJello - 2005-09-21 10:34 PM

Unfortunately, you're going to find ignorant people such as this any place you go.

I agree, and you can say that again!

If it's not someone saying Yoga is evil, then it's someone saying that Dungeons and Dragons is evil, Video Games are evil, or heavy metal music is evil, etc. Usually people that are very opposed to something like that aren't into listening to the other side.

People with any common sense will look into both sides of the "argument" and make a logical choice for themselves.

I personally stopped looking at sites like that becasue I believe it made my blood pressure boil.

Dragon
booga
Posted 2005-09-21 11:03 PM (#32622 - in reply to #32615)

You are all right; this isn't worth it.

She is clearly not only NOT researched and open - but a judgemental christian (isn't "god" supposed to have that job in christianity?) and to boot - she is using propaganda and yoga asanas while babbling bible quotes?
Get the F real!

Oh well. Power to her. Hope she get's enough money from this endeaver to get a better stylist.
...and for Greenjello..... "She is so NOT flippin' sweet". Ohhhwaaaaa.
Mitch
Posted 2005-09-21 11:06 PM (#32624 - in reply to #32615)

There is no doubt that Hinduism is rooted in yogic philosophy. People can try to divorce yogasana from the other 7 limbs and sell it as whatever they want to, but it is what it is. What makes her so horrible is that she is profiting off of the very traditions that she is denouncing. But, she's an opportunist and religious intolerance sells these days.

Then again, I hear that her one-woman show is wonderful!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-21 11:23 PM (#32626 - in reply to #32624)

Expert Yogi

Here we go again,

Booga, I posted this exact thing several months ago to the Philosophy section. Although, I found it more amusing than you did, Let it go, roll it off your back. Just remember, we are in America and we have Freedom of Religion...or is that Freedom from Religion, Anyway, don't worry about it. There's so many people doing Yoga in America that we don't have to give this any energy...besides, remember the saying, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but Words can never hurt me", Remember that?? It's all talk. Always, Christians are always going behind the preacher's back to dabble in other things, why?? because their religion doesn't work for them, they get tired of hearing preaching and NO TEACHING and eventually they end up doing something alternative which eventually leads them to something like - YOGA!!!
Thushara
Posted 2005-09-22 1:15 AM (#32631 - in reply to #32615)

CANT BEAT THE STUPIDITY !

booga
Posted 2005-09-22 7:21 AM (#32636 - in reply to #32626)
Subject: RE: Thanks Cyndi

I wish I were here a few months ago (just joined a few weeks ago) I would have loved to have seen that posting (wonder if it is still available actually)

It isn't the fact that she is doing her own thing that bothers me; it's that a Christian mag wrote about Yoga being evil while only interviewing her.. and yes, her capitalizing on yoga in her sick way.

It just hit a cord on me.

Posted 2005-09-22 8:23 AM (#32637 - in reply to #32615)

it's interesting because one of my clients just read an article recently about hindus being upset that christians and non-hindus were teaching yoga or using yoga outside of it's context.

she asked me about it, and i said that there are groups of people like that in every religion--various forms of fundamentalists--who get stirred up about things for no reason.

i see yoga--whether it's the philosophy, mantra process, the cleansing practices, or the asanas or whatever else--as a series of disciplines that can be applied to any religious/spiritual practice. LIke prayer, yoga doesn't belong to just one religion. Like ritual worship, yoga does not belong to just one religion. It is a spiritual discipline that can be used by any. Like meditation, yoga does not belong to just one religion.

One cannot deny it's context, but the context doesn't mean that the discipline can't be applied elsewhere. The Vedic tradition gave us this wonderful spiritual technology. I think that should be acknowledged and even honored or valued. BUt it doesn't mean that to practice yoga, one must also practice vedic spirituality or be a hindu, jain, buddhist, etc. I think that yoga should be approached as a spiritual discipline, but to which spiritual belief system is really a matter of personal choice. Similarly, the context of confession in the western catholic tradition came out of the irish-catholic monastic tradition. Yet today, millions of non-monastic, non-irish, and even non-catholic individuals participate in this sacred, spiritual discipline regardless of their particular religious or spiritual beliefs. So, while the context was rather specific, the disciplines can be applied in other contexts.

similarly, it is my understanding from knowing hindus, jains, buddhists, etc, that they have a general belief of "be and do whatever you want, spiritually. if it works for you and makes you happy, then it works for me." For them, if you worship Jesus while doing yoga, it's just as good as worshipping Ganeshe, Kali, Green Tara, or the Divine Wind as far as i can tell--and from what i've been told. Whatever speaks to you as a deity image can be accessed through any number of spiritual disciplines--and yoga may be an appropriate discipline to consider.

on a bit more thought in regards to this woman and her information, there is one thing that i like about it--she is applying it to a spiritual discipline. She's taking yoga asana (and perhaps breathing techniques) and applying it specifically to her tradition. I think that this is a lot better--perhaps a slight step up--from those people who extract the asana purely for physical benefit and divorce it from any spiritual aspects. I think that yoga asana, as well as other yoga practices, are inherently spiritual and meant to develop spiritual insight. The purpose of yoga--all aspects of it--is God Realization. To divorce yoga from this is a much greater "travisty" than to divorce it from it's religious context and apply it to another, IMO.

Of course, in a perfect world, everyone would be open minded enough to embrace the history and tradition and context of a practice as well as applying it to their own spiritual beliefs (in a comparitive religion sort of way), but alas that enlightenment hasn't come about yet. I'm sure it will in time. I mean, some cultures have been behaving like that for centuries (i'm thinking vedic, shinto, etc)!

does this make any sense?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-22 8:44 AM (#32640 - in reply to #32637)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-09-22 8:23 AM

The Vedic tradition gave us this wonderful spiritual technology. I think that should be acknowledged and even honored or valued. BUt it doesn't mean that to practice yoga, one must also practice vedic spirituality or be a hindu, jain, buddhist, etc. I think that yoga should be approached as a spiritual discipline, but to which spiritual belief system is really a matter of personal choice. Similarly, the context of confession in the western catholic tradition came out of the irish-catholic monastic tradition. Yet today, millions of non-monastic, non-irish, and even non-catholic individuals participate in this sacred, spiritual discipline regardless of their particular religious or spiritual beliefs. So, while the context was rather specific, the disciplines can be applied in other contexts.

Ah yes, the vedic tradition gave us this wonderful spiritual technology.....these so called christians and whoever are not being respectful, they have abused it, they have mocked it, they have used to fit their criteria and manipulated it to mold it into what they deem it should be to control others...hmmm?? Sounds like BOGA to me, Sorry Booga, not you, better get that name changed,

What really blows my brain about this, is the fact that if their religion is so wonderful and taught them everything they need, i.e. Catholism, Baptist, Methodist, why would they need to practice Yoga?? They really should just go ride a bike or take up jogging.

Anyway, I'm sure this is going to start something up but this is only an observation. When I came to Eastern Philosophy I had long thrown in the towel when it came to religion. Religion was forced upon me as a child and I vowed then that when I grew up, I would find my path..and I did. I came to the Eastern Philosophy because it supported who I was and who I had become..and my karmic connections of course. I was NOT attached to or connected to in any way shape or form to any Western Religion or belief's. This has been extremely important factor in my spiritual journey because if I were attached to those belief's or practices, it would have hindered and been a major distraction to my practice. Thank God I was able to let it go!!! All of it.
booga
Posted 2005-09-22 9:36 AM (#32648 - in reply to #32615)
Subject: RE: Exactly!

If their religion is soooo great, why do they need to take any part of Yoga and use it? (if it is so evil?)

I just had this woman email me AGAIN this morning and she said that if I think the bowing to another person is a good thing, I am evil; as we only bow to God.
My comeback was that bowing in HER RELIGION means worship; however to "bow" is simply an honor or acknowledgement of respect. So if she were in an Asian land, she would refuse to bow to say hello? That is just silly.
She kept saying in that church chat manner, "I didn't mean to make you upset" and I just replied, "You know yesterday I was upset, because I was being judged - which I thought only your God does. However, today I just feel sorry that you are in a cult like mindset and are close-minded to the lives and respect of others. You should pray about that. Or do CHristian Yoga."
loli
Posted 2005-09-22 9:44 AM (#32649 - in reply to #32615)

She is just after making money.... looks like she is setting up her own 'religion' just a big con. It makes me cross that she judges the Hindu religion anyway, aside from the fact that yoga is NOT a religion...I think it is awful that one religion judges another religion. Live and let live I say.
tourist
Posted 2005-09-22 10:07 AM (#32652 - in reply to #32649)

Expert Yogi

Gandhi apparently said something to the effect that he would be happy to work with Christians if only he could find any who really embodied their own ideals and religion.

The thing is that she obviously got caught up in "new age" practices that were not safe, not properly taught and that did not encourage her to practice her own religion in a non-judgemental and loving way. Some would say it was not real yoga. Sad.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-22 10:26 AM (#32653 - in reply to #32652)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-09-22 10:07 AM

Gandhi apparently said something to the effect that he would be happy to work with Christians if only he could find any who really embodied their own ideals and religion.

(

EXACTLY! But, now a days, I am seeing this happen in other cultures too. I'm seeing it happen in Hindu's, Buddhists and Asians. They really don't embody their own ideals and religion, they are trying to be like American...to me that is what is truly sad and unfortunately, these guided souls are being misled, I cringe when I'm around some Indian & Nepalis people here in America and the way they act against their own culture. I do believe however, because of their ingrained culture..especially Hindus and Buddhists, they will as Bruce say's, eventually "See the light", Just when they will is not very clear and maybe it won't happen in this lifetime. But, it's not a bad idea to experience another culture so you can see for yourself, it's just scary as he11 when they start converting! These Christians going into India and bribing people with money and nice food & clothes, manipulating their minds based on material things is sooo ridiculous. I enjoy reading when the Indian government throws them out!
Mitch
Posted 2005-09-22 10:42 AM (#32654 - in reply to #32615)

I get how one can consider devotion to Christ as a form of isvarapranidhana during their yoga practice, but I'm confused about the dualism/non-dualism issue. If the ultimate goal is union, then isn't that at odds with Christian theology, which is necessarily dualistic?
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-09-22 10:49 AM (#32655 - in reply to #32615)

She looks a bit crazy too in that pic doesn't she.

That article is full of rubbish if you ask me. I am sure she has plenty to say about running and finding "the zone", and sports which leave you serene and collected, because of course eveil things enter the body.

At least yogis don't write about how evil people's belief systems are.
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-09-22 11:37 AM (#32659 - in reply to #32615)

It is a shame that there are many Christian sects that basically will criticize anything that has mainstream appeal. I grew up in such a church in small-town NC, and I was also home-schooled and used a biology book that claimed that rock music caused "nerve-jamming" in teenage girls which made the sucesseptibal to sexual passes from boys. Going to movies, school dances, listening to any type of music other than old fashioned gospel were considered wrong. Some of it my parents enforced some they didn't, as it was largely based on opinions. Many of the people I grew up around were uneducated...not even finishing high school and weren't taught to question and fear things they know nothing about.

It is fun when I go home to NC and people tell me I look good and what I do to keep in shape and I tell them I practice yoga! Lots of "oh no, you're going to hell" looks.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-22 1:17 PM (#32669 - in reply to #32654)

Expert Yogi

Mitch - 2005-09-22 10:42 AM

I get how one can consider devotion to Christ as a form of isvarapranidhana during their yoga practice, but I'm confused about the dualism/non-dualism issue. If the ultimate goal is union, then isn't that at odds with Christian theology, which is necessarily dualistic?

Elson and I had a discussion of that question in the Philosophy and Religion forum (which
is where this thread should be moved, IMHO). I think that we finally agreed that
in [fundamentalist] Christian theology, union with god in a non-dualist sense is not
possible. Another way to look at this, I guess, is that while yoga might be equated to
prayer, prayer in a Christian sense is supplication to the Almighty. Yogic union is essentially
the removal of avidya that prevents us from seeing that we are already god, as is everything
around us.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 1:24 PM (#32672 - in reply to #32615)

man, is she gonna be mad when she comes back as a chicken!
Mitch
Posted 2005-09-22 2:05 PM (#32675 - in reply to #32654)

Bay Guy - 2005-09-22 1:17 PM

Elson and I had a discussion of that question in the Philosophy and Religion forum (which
is where this thread should be moved, IMHO). I think that we finally agreed that
in [fundamentalist] Christian theology, union with god in a non-dualist sense is not
possible. Another way to look at this, I guess, is that while yoga might be equated to
prayer, prayer in a Christian sense is supplication to the Almighty. Yogic union is essentially
the removal of avidya that prevents us from seeing that we are already god, as is everything
around us.

Thanks BG. That was my impression as well.

Posted 2005-09-22 2:11 PM (#32677 - in reply to #32640)

What really blows my brain about this, is the fact that if their religion is so wonderful and taught them everything they need, i.e. Catholism, Baptist, Methodist, why would they need to practice Yoga?? They really should just go ride a bike or take up jogging.

i see this in two ways:

First, on the one hand, if they're just looking for the physical aspects and not seeing it as a spiritual discipline, then jogging or whatever is no different. a good plan of physical fitness, stretching, and weight bearing exercise should 'do the trick'--or hey, Pilates! But then, what's interesting about some people is that these exercises also become deeply meditative--so there's this mind-body-spirit thing happening, even without yoga.

Second, i tend to think of religions--all of them--being in a constant state of revelation and evolution. right now, i'm reading this fascinating text by David R. Kinsley called "Hindu GOddesses" that gives the cultural history and meaning of various goddessses. What is interesting is that a given goddess starts out with one representation, that changes slightly over time, and then changes again, and then again to the modern idea and worship practices. The same is true of all of these various religions.

What is interesting about the information about Sri-Laksmi (which i recently read again, it's chapter 1), is that she becomes an intercessory figure in some parts of the hindu tradition around 1000-1100 CE--shortly after Mary, mother of Jesus takes an intercessory position to God the Father. In the book, there are descriptions about Vishnu the Father, being stern and wanting or needing to punish his followers, followed y depictions of how followers then prayed or worshipped Laksmi in order to beg for an intercessory action to recieve the mercy and grace of Vishnu.

Now, i'm not saying that this wasn't a naturally independent arising or that this concept of intercessory activities of wife/consort goddessses didn't exist before this particular manifestation of Laksmi, but it is interesting that Laksmi--a queen of heaven so to speak--takes on that role in certain aspects of the hindu tradition after it started with Mary. So perhaps it was a good idea that got flipped to a new context.

In this way, i think that the sharing of particular disciplines across cultures is a way that religions grow. There is evidence, for example, that there are hellenistic and vedic qualities in Jesus's teachings simply because he lived at a place of crossroads. Judaism has changed over time, and has included and excluded various practices because of these outside influences of ideas, traditions, and even spiritual disciplines.

I do not necessarily think that one religion is whole or complete. In fact, i think they they are all incomplete, and i see no reason why a person can't take good from one, add it to another to inform their own practices and spiritual development.

But, i also recognize the importance that many teachers have mentioned--that it is difficult to diligently follow multiple paths. IN this, i seek that concept of integration, of bringing things together in a cohesive fashion. THen, there is only one path--an integrated path.

One thing that confuses me, though, which is why i go to my teachers at the gurukalam and the local hindu temple with such questions, is how easy is it to be devoted to many gods and goddesses? each one has so many ways of worshipping, things that need to be done at certain times of the year and what not. . .and add to this saints and teachers who have special things that need to be done to honor them--and it seems less cohesive than say, sikhism (which is considered closest to christianity in practice and belief). And yet people seem to integrate it into the 'ebb and flow' of life.

anyway, just more questions, as always.

Anyway, I'm sure this is going to start something up but this is only an observation. When I came to Eastern Philosophy I had long thrown in the towel when it came to religion. Religion was forced upon me as a child and I vowed then that when I grew up, I would find my path..and I did. I came to the Eastern Philosophy because it supported who I was and who I had become..and my karmic connections of course. I was NOT attached to or connected to in any way shape or form to any Western Religion or belief's. This has been extremely important factor in my spiritual journey because if I were attached to those belief's or practices, it would have hindered and been a major distraction to my practice. Thank God I was able to let it go!!! All of it.

attachment to any belief hinders spirit-life, i've found.

Posted 2005-09-22 2:12 PM (#32678 - in reply to #32654)

i was taught, in catholicism, that the ultimate concept of heaven was union with God. this is why the Church is often the "bride of christ"--to denote this intimate union. In the bible, marriage is considered to make 'one body' or 'one entity.' therefore, to become the 'bride of Christ' is to enter into a non-dual state with God.
booga
Posted 2005-09-22 7:31 PM (#32711 - in reply to #32615)
Subject: RE: a good point here....

Yoga has never started a war that I know of, nor do people normally die because of their yoga practice.

Wars are often started because of religion, and more people die because of fights over religion than Yoga - in history, present and I presume - in the future.

Also, Christians (some not all of course - and I do consider myself a Christian of sort) - are the first to judge..yet they preach that only God judges. Even in the bible, Jesus did not judge.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-22 9:24 PM (#32717 - in reply to #32678)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-09-22 2:12 PM

i was taught, in catholicism, that the ultimate concept of heaven was union with God. this is why the Church is often the "bride of christ"--to denote this intimate union. In the bible, marriage is considered to make 'one body' or 'one entity.' therefore, to become the 'bride of Christ' is to enter into a non-dual state with God.

This is interesting. I guess it's a good place to add that some fundamentalists consider
Catholics to be heretical on certain points, and I expect that they would feel that way
about entering a non-dual state with god.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-22 9:30 PM (#32719 - in reply to #32677)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-09-22 2:11 PM

What is interesting about the information about Sri-Laksmi (which i recently read again, it's chapter 1), is that she becomes an intercessory figure in some parts of the hindu tradition around 1000-1100 CE--shortly after Mary, mother of Jesus takes an intercessory position to God the Father. In the book, there are descriptions about Vishnu the Father, being stern and wanting or needing to punish his followers, followed y depictions of how followers then prayed or worshipped Laksmi in order to beg for an intercessory action to recieve the mercy and grace of Vishnu.

One of the more interesting things that I saw in Tuscany was a fresco in a church that
illustrated Mary as an intercessor for Man -- she bared her breasts to Christ in supplication,
essentially saying: "as I nursed you, I ask you to intercede with the Father." I don't recall
the date of this fresco, but it's in the range of 1500CE.

I tend to think that the Vedic ideas were adopted by Christians, rather than visa-versa,
but that's mainly b/c Vedic philosophy predates Xtians.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)