YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Warm Goat Cheese Salad
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-21 12:41 PM (#32568)
Subject: Warm Goat Cheese Salad

Expert Yogi

Here's a recipe that I thought youin's would like to try , It's one of my favorites. It's an oldie but a goodie..enjoy!!

Warm Goat Cheese Salad

2 5oz. Packages of Goat Cheese. Montrachet is a good choice for this recipe
¾ cup Virgin Olive Oil
3-4 sprigs fresh Thyme
1 cup fine Breadcrumbs
1 Tbls.Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbls. Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 bunches of Arugula (or other salad greens)
½ tsp. Orange Zest

Cut cheeses into 4 pieces. In a small bowl, place cheese, ¼ cup Olive Oil and Thyme; marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Coat the marinated cheese slices with the breadcrumbs and place on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees, 5-7 minutes or until cheese is golden. For vinaigrette; whisk together vinegar, orange juice, salt and pepper. Slowly add ½ cup olive oil, whisking constantly. Toss and lightly coat the greens with vinaigrette and arrange on four plates. Place the cheese on the plate with greens and sprinkle orange zest on top.

**You may not want to use all of the vinaigrette on the salad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-21 9:06 PM (#32609 - in reply to #32568)
Subject: RE: Warm Goat Cheese Salad

cyndi, this is so appropriate! i just found a ethical goat cheese and yogurt supplier locally, that treat the goats really well and mostly organic. I can finally eat cheese and yogurt again. 

i love "warm" salads.(pitta dosha) yummy!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-22 3:10 PM (#32686 - in reply to #32609)

Expert Yogi

Anya,

This is really a nice simple recipe. The good news about goat cheeses is that if you have to choose goat vs. cow, goats are usually fed a free range diet with less pesticides and very few injections if any. Although, this is changing somewhat in the industry, right now things are still mostly pretty good. I prefer to buy imported goat cheeses from reputable sources that I know. Mostly, I buy from Whole Foods Markets and they do a pretty good job of screening the UN-reputable company's out.

The beekeeper that I spent Saturday with - lives at the bottom of Cold Mountain. Remember that movie?? Anyway, he had sooo many goats in his backyard which happened to have been a mountain side - literally..it was so cool to watch the goats follow each other in a line all over the place. They would talk back and forth to each other. I almost brought one baby goat home, but I decided that my dog sitter that I take Yodha to once a week would not like to dog sit and goat sit, I may change my mind and get a goat just for the milk, wouldn't that be too much fun. Yodha could have some company too,
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 4:26 PM (#32693 - in reply to #32568)

unfourtunatly, there are no whole foods by me, just one small health food store. the owner says that the goats are treated well, and i trust him,and the website is pretty extensive. if they mistreat the animals they are really doing a great job of covering it up.

i would at least like to add yogurt back into my diet.

I would love to have a goat.(they are pretty tough, give yodha a run for his money) But, i would right now love to have my kitty cat back, she's been missing almost 10 hours. back to searching...i was wasting time on yoga.com waiting for the flyers to print. say a prayer for Mitzi, will you?

Anya

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-09-22 4:27 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-09-22 8:00 PM (#32713 - in reply to #32693)

Expert Yogi

anya, if you are not up to eating goat cheese you can make a really nice substitute using yogurt. My DD the foodie does this a lot. Put some cheesecloth in a strainer and dump a tub of plain yogurt into it (I like full fat organic) and fold the cloth over top of it and put a weight on top (a can of beans or something similar), set the strainer over a bowl and leave it overnight in the fridge. Awesome!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-22 9:34 PM (#32721 - in reply to #32713)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

That's funny, what you are describing is something similar to Paneer. It's an Indian cheese and it's actually very good - and very good for you instead of cheese if your doing that practice. YES, you can use that or Paneer for the Warm Goat Cheese Salad if you wish as a replacement. I have some traditional paneer recipes if any one is interested. Palak Paneer is very good,

Anya,

Sorry about your kitty cat. You can have one of my kitty's if it doesn't come back. I've got way too many cats. Kali got pregnant again before I could get her fixed. I know I could have taken her, as I only had a small window opportunity while she was nursing, but I missed it and I'm not into kitty abortions. Soo, I have 3 Black Cats and probably some more Black Cats on the way - the Father is black too so I'm assuming they'll be black, I've never seen her have any other. Therefore, in my husband's culture, I have too many witches hanging around here, NO, I do NOT hold that same belief - Okay. Of course, some people I suppose would think I was a witch with a capital B,
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 10:54 PM (#32735 - in reply to #32713)

tourist - 2005-09-22 8:00 PM anya, if you are not up to eating goat cheese you can make a really nice substitute using yogurt. My DD the foodie does this a lot. Put some cheesecloth in a strainer and dump a tub of plain yogurt into it (I like full fat organic) and fold the cloth over top of it and put a weight on top (a can of beans or something similar), set the strainer over a bowl and leave it overnight in the fridge. Awesome!

I don't/can't  do the cow dairy, that's why i am interested in the goat yogurt. or goatyurt. hee hee

anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 11:02 PM (#32736 - in reply to #32721)

Cyndi, in my family tradition, black cats are prized. the goddess Freya drove a chariot pulled by black cats. you're blessed! with a capital B!

Mitzi is really grounded (no outside at night for a month)when she gets back, i swear. she has no idea what i am going through. i have no children and probably never will so she's my baby. my dogs never gave me this kind of worry.

I would love a black kitten or cat or two. seriously! let me know.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-22 11:34 PM (#32741 - in reply to #32736)

Expert Yogi

anya sharvani - 2005-09-22 11:02 PM

Cyndi, in my family tradition, black cats are prized. the goddess Freya drove a chariot pulled by black cats. you're blessed! with a capital B!

Mitzi is really grounded (no outside at night for a month)when she gets back, i swear. she has no idea what i am going through. i have no children and probably never will so she's my baby. my dogs never gave me this kind of worry.

I would love a black kitten or cat or two. seriously! let me know.

What is your family tradition?? Who is the goddess Freya?? I've always been blessed with Black Cats. I've had sooo many of them in my life. I remember once my brother in law hated cats. But, since I had my black cat he had to put up with us, I refused to live with him and my sister, unless I could have my cat. Anyway, one night he got very drunk and took my cat down the road for several miles and put him in the woods. It was soo funny, 2 weeks later, my cat was back on our doorstep, It was so hilarious. He always accused me of being a witch, so did my ex-husband..everyone. I really don't want to get into the witch thread again, OMG, that was an awful thread a few months ago, but I really do like Black cats and solid white ones too. Black represents the Yin, the feminine, and White represents the Yang, the male aspect.

Let me see how many kittens Kali has. I'm afraid Kristina is going to have a hard time parting with Krishna and Rhada, or as she calls them Luke and Lea. But, you are certainly welcome to the new ones or possibly Rhada and Krishna. Kali has the sweetest kittens. She's still letting them nurse after 4 months and they are so happy. They love it here in the mountains and being free. All my cats have their freedom. They never leave the house, they're barn cats. I'm sure your kitty will come home. Do you live in the city or the country?? My cat's when I lived in the city used to go visit people's houses. Do you remember that movie, "That Darn Cat"? I had a Siamese cat just like that one named Gizmo. My cat's would hang out at this elderly lady's house, she would feed them all the time...they loved her. They liked her birds too. Once I looked out my kitchen window to find the cats high up in the lady's trees...you could see these 2 big black dots, just sitting, waiting on the birds. Maybe your cat is doing something like that too. She might be stalking a mouse. Take care, and try not to worry too much.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-23 10:19 AM (#32768 - in reply to #32568)

Freya is a norse goddess.

anyway, my next tactic is to go to each house on my block, and ask my neighbors if i can crawl around under their houses. she never goes far so mabye she's hurt and hiding. everyone keeps telling me that cats come home after a couple days, or weeks even, but i still want her home NOW. she's my baby... i bottle fed her. she is never gone for more than a couple of hours, and now it's

holy crap the shelter just called gotta go

Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-23 12:03 PM (#32780 - in reply to #32768)

Expert Yogi

Anya,

Go knock on doors, it won't hurt a thing. Once in Atlanta I lost Zigtuk, my Doberman. Luckily we lived in a gated apt. community. I forgot about him being outside because at home he ran freely. I was bringing in groceries and literally forgot that I was in the city. (that's what happens when you have multiple households). I couldn't find him anywhere. So, immediately I made posters, the next day went to the shelters - OMG, that was awful seeing those dogs and cats and how they were going to die in 3 days if no one claimed them. Anyway, 48 hours later, a girl called me at 2 am and said she had my dog. He was roaming around the apt. complex around the dumpsters. That entire time I just kept missing him or we were crossing paths. I was so glad that this girl was not afraid of Dobermans, she said he hopped right on in the car with her and that is when she called me. I hope you have a nice ending too.

Cyndi
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-23 12:33 PM (#32783 - in reply to #32568)

It wasn't her.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-09-23 12:37 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2005-09-26 7:36 AM (#32948 - in reply to #32568)

Glad to see your cat came back.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-26 9:56 AM (#32951 - in reply to #32568)

Thanks. she was trapped in someones basement. came home with her front claws all worn down and hungry and thirsty. the worst 3 days of my life. (hers too, i suppose!)
GreenJello
Posted 2005-09-26 4:36 PM (#32982 - in reply to #32568)

Anya, You know, it really wasn't me that I was worried about before.....  Hopefully that's the end of it.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-26 6:07 PM (#32987 - in reply to #32982)

GreenJello - 2005-09-26 4:36 PM Anya, You know, it really wasn't me that I was worried about before.....  Hopefully that's the end of it.

Huh???? PM me. I confuse.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-09-26 6:08 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-26 7:01 PM (#32992 - in reply to #32987)

Expert Yogi

Hey Anya,

Do you still want one of Kali's kittens when they arrive?? I'll keep you updated on how many and what they look like, etc. Glad Mitzi came home and that you have a happy ending story,
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-26 11:28 PM (#33019 - in reply to #32992)

Cyndi! mabye. I just found out yesterday my shelter is taking in a bunch of cats from the Hurricanes down south so i have to foster 3 elderly cats(or else the'll be put down!!!!!!) so 5 cats may be too much. but keep me updated. I live kinda far but if you need help with homes let me know. are you going to have Kali fixed after this litter?

I could drown in a pile of kittens and die happy.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-13 8:40 PM (#34319 - in reply to #33019)

Expert Yogi

Anya,

Just to let you know, Kali had 5 solid black kittens yesterday on Vijaya Day. 3 of them do not have tails and the other 2 do. This makes me the caretaker of 8 solid black cats with the 1 Father who is feral and hangs out in the jungle - making it a total of 9 black cats in my life. 2 of the new kittens are taken, but 3 still remain and are yours if you want them. Do you want tails or No tails?? They are North Carolina Bob Tail cats according to my local vet. BTW, the 2 older cats are the sweetest cats you will ever know as Kali has the sweetest kittens. I don't see how she is going to manage all 5 though!!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-13 10:00 PM (#34323 - in reply to #32568)

Cats w/o tails?  WTF?
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-13 10:08 PM (#34326 - in reply to #32568)

kittens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* I would love to take them. but i can't. i still have 2 fosters here and we are moving december first. meanwhile, the house is on the market and it is already a nightmare showing it.

I lurve black kittens. you have been blessed 8X!!!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-14 8:10 AM (#34348 - in reply to #34326)

Expert Yogi

Yes, GJ, Kittens without tails. When I first found Kali, I thought someone had cut her tail off, thinking that she has suffered, yadda yadda.....UNTIL, she had her first and one and only kitten with NO tail. That was Bison who passed away recently from a negligent driver. Then she had Rhada and Krishna who have tails and are the cutest and the sweetest kittens. Now we have 5, 3 with no tails and 2 with tails. I haven't inspected their sex yet, because she had them in a box way up high on top of a outdoor refrigerator...I'm leaving her alone.

These cats really do have happy lives as barn yard cats, here in the countryside and get lots of TLC. I'm going to build a kitty condo for everyone before winter.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)