YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forward Head Posture
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

spiritualwitch
Posted 2005-08-25 6:34 PM (#30375)
Subject: Forward Head Posture

I have recently found out I have Forward Head Posture, and an abnormal curvature of my neck. Instead of the natural slight C curve I have more of an S curve to my neck. I have a compressed disc that has apparently been that way for awhile. I'm currently under the care of a chiropractor to work on getting the natural curvature back, and am doing Yoga and Tai Chi to help with my posture.

Are there any asanas I should avoid due to my neck issues? I just recently was shown by one of the yoga instructors at the gym how to do a better (proper?) downdog, and that has been helping to strengthen my back and help with my posture.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-08-25 7:14 PM (#30377 - in reply to #30375)
Subject: RE: Forward Head Posture

Jessica, if I might be so bold, the words you used, "..recently found out.." about the neck "abnormality," I'd advise a second opinion before taking that diagnosis as gospel.

I've found there are a lot of sincere, talented, legit folks out there dispensing guidance on physical well being; unfortunately, there arejust as many con artist *******s at the best taking our money, at the worst, causing injury.

sdaraio
Posted 2005-08-25 8:59 PM (#30380 - in reply to #30377)

Hi Jessica--I will have to agree with Bruce here. After several years of unspecified neck/shoulder pain (I thought it was stress related) my Dr. sent me to a chiropractor (had been before--accupuncture as well). The chiropractor in a very dire, ominous way told me I was in very bad shape---needed a year of traction (hanging a weight off my head) and 3-5 treatments a week for a year or better. The MRI showed two slipped discs, the S-curvature you refer to and arthritis in the neck. Oh! no wonder I am having pain!!
Anyway--I RAN from the chiropractor. Currently do yoga every day, currently still have pain, see a body worker every so often, sleep with a funky pillow and take pain medication when it gets to be too much.

I do all yoga poses--no modifications. If it hurts, I stop.

I suggest getting another opinion as well.

And welcome to the boards!
Stacey
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-25 10:11 PM (#30382 - in reply to #30375)

Hi Jessica,

I'm assuming you had x-rays taken to assess the curvature of your cervical spine. I, too, have lost part of my natural curve (lots of people have, unfortunately) and the way I found out was through an x-ray of my neck. Need an MRI to determine a herniated or bulged disc. These diagnostic tests don't lie. So, why would you need a second opinion if a film shows you have a problem? Now, a compressed disc? Technically, there's no such diagnosis. You might have degenerative disc disease where gravity takes hold and eventually flattens out the discs. But, if that's the case, you are in good company b/c the majority of people over 18 y.o. have some degen. disc disease. Not to mention our discs can dry, out too. Downward Dog is natural traction for your spine. That's why it's so yummy! Also, Iyengar style of yoga has a great form of traction where you hang by your hips instead of your teeny-weeny ankle bones. But, your question was what yoga poses should your neck avoid? I more info is needed. I mean, is there radiating pain down either arm? Numbness in certain fingers? All that makes a difference. Some poses are generally too much for the neck, like Fish, in my opinion. Perhaps some one else out there has a Fish modification for a delicate neck?

There's great info in these threads about all facets of yoga by really terrific and experienced teachers. So, live long but don't get old!
tourist
Posted 2005-08-27 11:44 AM (#30445 - in reply to #30375)

Expert Yogi

Hi Jessica - yes, a lot of people have "reverse" or other odd neck curves. I am amazed at how bodies adapt to our weird postures and ways of (mis)using them! Chiro can be great if you know and trust the right person. In another thread we are discussing Hellerwork and Rolfing - various structural integration therapies. If chiro doesn't work out (or if you can afford both) I would highly recommend them as they work well with chiro, yoga and other modalities.

Basically, you should do almost any pose although I would use caution with shoulderstand (especially if you don't use props) and probably not do headstand until you have been practicing 2 or 3 years. If your gym instructor is good, s/he can keep checking your alignment, especially in twists and forward bends. You need to learn to keep your head properly on top of your spine (sounds silly, but true! ) especially when you move it. Good luck!
leela
Posted 2005-09-02 7:59 PM (#30879 - in reply to #30375)

Hi!
There are qi gong exercises that really benefit the spine...and get your qi flowing again.. they're easy--so they won't further stress any problem in that area
have you tried exploring that arena?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)