YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crosspost - please help?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-21 8:41 AM (#30111)
Subject: Crosspost - please help?

Posted this in General Wellness but haven't gotten any replies.

Anyone ever heard of this disease ITP? It's an immune disorder where the body starts attacking its own platelets, causing the inability for blood to clot. My sister-in-law has had it for the past year & a half and has endured many different medical treatments, all of which have made her miserable and haven't worked.

On Wednesday she underwent a splenectomy to try and fix the problem. During surgery, there was an "event" (as the docs call it) where she began bleeding internally and her heart actually stopped for 2 minutes - turns out they had accidentally perforated her bowel in 2 places and nicked her inferior vena cava. Nice, huh? Now she's in intensive care but is coming along VERY well considering the circumstances!

Anyway, it will be a while before she gets to go home, but she's going to feel SO crappy for SO long and I really want to help. She's never been into any kind of alternative therapies, but I thought if I made her some meals that would help her condition, that might be nice (if only for the convenience while she doesn't have the energy to cook). I don't have any clue what kind of diet would be good for platelets, but since the spleen came out I'm suspecting that an immune-boosting diet might be the ticket instead. I generally cook for strong immunity at home anyway using lots of onions, garlic, fresh veggies, etc. But, it has been a long time since I focused on that and I was wondering if you guys have any tips? Or awesome sure-fire recipes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-08-21 9:00 AM (#30114 - in reply to #30111)
Subject: RE: Crosspost - please help?

i haven't replied because i haven't heard of the disorder and have no idea how to treat it nutritionally. so, i didn't reply. it may be why others haven't replied either.
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-21 3:15 PM (#30121 - in reply to #30111)

In Chinese Medicine the Spleen is regarded as an extremely important organ and well respected. There are literally hundreds of herbs and foods that "tonify" (or nourish) Spleen Qi. One could say Chinese Medicine is almost obsessed with the Spleen (ok, and the Kidneys, too).

Since it would be imprudent for me to suggest medicine to a person I've never seen before I won't recommend any herbs. As for food, there's a terrific book by Paul Pitchford, Healing with Whole Foods, that concentrates on the Chinese Medicine system of eating (which is quite simple). One more book - The Book of Jook by Blue Poppy Press. The author is a well respected acu-doctor in the US but I'm totally spacing on his name (I'll probably remember as soon as I log off). Jook is a term that refers to healing soups the Chinese eat. Food as medicine. That's where it all starts. These books can be purchased on Amazon, Borders, etc...they are not that esoteric or expensive.

I've actually treated one man with ITP (with acupuncture). He's in his 50's. He also practices yoga! Good luck ~
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-21 3:41 PM (#30122 - in reply to #30111)

I guess I wasn't too clear . . her spleen is now GONE. It was removed on Wednesday. I was just hoping for some suggestions to help her heal up from this terrible surgery gone wrong.

Never mind.
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-21 7:44 PM (#30133 - in reply to #30111)

*Sigh*....right....I READ that she had her Spleen removed. Lots of people have their Spleen removed.

A person still has acupuncture channels pertaining to internal organs even when the organs are removed. A person can still strengthen their energy/immunity even with missing body parts. She still has a lymph system and Blood.

I wish I could spend the time to illustrate how the body works holistically, especially the internal organs. Her Spleen did not work solo; it was part of an intricate web that works synergistically. I am taking a shortcut when I say she needs to strengthen her Spleen Qi.

You can chuck this info; doesn't matter to me. But just because you're frustrated doesn't give you license to be rude when I was being helpful. Take care ~
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-21 8:36 PM (#30134 - in reply to #30111)

Sorry I didn't understand that from your post, you just seem to say how important the spleen is. Must be I'm just dense and frustrated to not understand how helpful that was.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-22 8:28 AM (#30147 - in reply to #30133)

Expert Yogi

Hi Fifi,

The man's name from Blue Poppy is Bob Flaws. The book you mentioned Healing with Whole Foods is one that sits on my kitchen counter. The back side got burned when I layed it down on the hot stove - several years ago, I have read this book a zillion times, I still read it to this day, I recommend this book to everybody!!!

Anyway, the ideal thing for Jean's sister would have been to treat her illness without the surgery, and it is more ideal to have a spleen to work with rather than not in this case. I agree that you don't have to have the organ, I completely understand the meridian channels and how they work, but it is very difficult for the body to heal without it....especially if your not in tuned to that sort of thing and/or if you don't have a good experienced TCMD to treat you properly..that is hard to find in a small town or even a big one. In Chinese Medicine, that kind of surgery would be considered way too invasive and is avoided as much as possible. Athough in today's world, that is changing because everybody wants to do surgery and make $$$. So, not trying to undermine your comments Fifi, but, definitely strengthening the Spleen Qi will be the major concern, finding someone to help her is going to be the challenge.

Hey Jean, Where does your sister live?? Does she have access to a TCM Doctor?? Is she even open to this kind of healing method??

Edited by Cyndi 2005-08-22 8:31 AM
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-22 12:47 PM (#30173 - in reply to #30111)
Subject: RE: ITP websites

Jeans, I am sure you have searched but here is what i found:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/anemia/nord258.asp

http://www.itppeople.com/effects.htm

the second website has some article on sugar and meat consumption, and it seems to be a association for people with platelet disease.personally, i take everything on the internet with a grain of salt, so be careful. How is your sister in law doing now?

also Mayo Clinic has a great interactive website that includes alternative treatments.

Prem&Om, Anya

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-08-22 1:04 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-22 9:39 PM (#30208 - in reply to #30111)

Thanks girls! She lives in Lansing Michigan, and unfortunately is NOT open to this sort of thing at all. That's why I was hoping I could give her some "sneaky" therapy by stocking her fridge with healing entrees for her to heat up while she recuperates.

I like that ITP people website, and I'm definitely going to post something about this quack doctor who almost killed her during a routine surgery! When I looked through it for alternative therapies, though, all I could find was info on how to raise your platelet count before the splenectomy. Unfortunately, she's the type of person to rely only on doctors and medications and not take a lot of initiative to work on educating herself and exploring alternative therapies. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that she and my bro had to live with my mother for a while, and my mother comes across as something of a WACKO on this subject. She and my mother do not get along! So if my mom is for something, sis will be against it (and vice versa).

I didn't look at WebMD, that's a good idea. I forgot about that website!

Since the spleen is gone, now I'm thinking the best route might be foods/exercises that boost the immune system. I know that garlic and onions are good for that, but I usually pair them with weird vegetables or soy proteins that she would never eat. Just to illustrate, my whole family thinks that squash is a really weird and disgusting vegetable. Both my brother and sister-in-law hate tomatoes! How can you hate a tomato? A juicy, red, tempting tomato? What's not to like? And my dad won't even eat any pasta that isn't shaped like spaghetti! I brought penne to his house once and he wouldn't touch it!

Anyway, got some good news today - she's been released from the ICU and into a regular room! Tomorrow they're going to try and get her walking a little bit on her own. The last hurdles will be making sure she has no fever and keeping her blood-oxygen levels stable. Then she'll go home and it will all be up to her! I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend making some healthy foods to stock her freezer so she doesn't have to cook. Knowing my brother, he'll feed them both McGriddles and Big Macs for every meal!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-22 10:18 PM (#30214 - in reply to #30208)

Expert Yogi

Jean, I know this is a hard thing for you to go through. I watched my sis go through something similar in February. You know what?? Sometimes we have to just let them have their experience and do what they do. I want to scream sometimes when I see how my family members treat their bodies, and the crazy things that they do. But, this is part of Yoga and it is part of being in the world and not of it. It is also about allowing others to have their enlightened experiences as well. Like, how else do you think we got here in the first place?? I can guarantee that we ALL have lived our own unhealthy lifestyles at some point on our journey's, whether it be from this life or the last or previous ones etc. We have to learn how to let our family members go and let them be. I found this is the only way I can have true peace and be an example to the best of my ability whether they get it or not. Most likely they won't, but it is all okay. When it is time for them to pass or my time to go, we will be at peace and that is the most important thing of all to remember. I love the AA serenity prayer...God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Take care, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Cyndi
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-23 12:30 PM (#30248 - in reply to #30111)

Well, this might be weird, too, but abdominal massage would be helpful. Unfortunately, she'll probably have some scar tissue in her abdomen after the surgery. Just as our necks and upper backs can have trigger points and knots, so can our abdomen, especially after surgery (including c-sections). Abdominal massage can be a little uncomfortable physically and psychologically, especially if it's cross-gender. We can store a lot of emotions in our gut. Gut feeling...

Just thought of more ideas:

regular lymph massage (this is a very light type of massage)
dry brushing the skin to stimulate the lymph system (she can do that at home)
regular saunas/steam to sweat (to take advantage of the skin to detox)
maybe digestive enzymes to help with digestion and reduce scar tissue

Lastly, Cyndi is right. From your healthy and open-minded point of view everything is so clear to you. All this might just be out of your SIL's comfort zone. It's an awful feeling to watch a loved one go down a path you don't identify with. Good luck to you! Keep us posted on her progess~
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-23 12:45 PM (#30250 - in reply to #30248)

Expert Yogi

I still have c-section scars and YES, Tui Na and Acupuncture has definitely helped with that. It takes time and it is not a quick fix. I've been doing this for over 10+ years and it is my way of life. If your Sis is not open to Alternatives, definitely try to coax her into some kind of massage. It may not be Tui Na exactly, but at least it will be something to stimulate that area and perhaps work on other areas as well. We do have to use our skillfull means don't we,
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-23 12:46 PM (#30251 - in reply to #30248)

Expert Yogi

I still have c-section scars and YES, Tui Na and Acupuncture has definitely helped with that. It takes time and it is not a quick fix. I've been doing this for over 10+ years and it is my way of life. If your Sis is not open to Alternatives, definitely try to coax her into some kind of massage. It may not be Tui Na exactly, but at least it will be something to stimulate that area and perhaps work on other areas as well. We do have to use our skillfull means don't we,
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-23 1:30 PM (#30252 - in reply to #30111)

These are some good ideas . . . I bet she would let my bro give her some gentle massages. I could even get her a gift cert to a spa for her birthday or something (after the scars heal). She also likes bath products a lot, so maybe some soothing aromatherapy and loofahs would be something she'd use. I'd been wondering what kind of "get well" basket to send because their cats eat any flowers! One cat is so obsessed that he will follow the flowers all around the house and destroy them the moment your back is turned! Last time she even had to take the flowers with her into the bathroom!

It is hard to watch them go through this and not be able to help. I know that she won't try anything she's not ready for, just don't know what else to do! I've told my brother and SIL in the past, there ARE resources out there when they ever decide to work on this on their own. They know I have a big library of information too. Once when she had a different hospitalization problem in NYC, I sent a copy of "The Healing Path of Yoga" along with a relaxation CD. I'm sure that's probably still in the Amazon box!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)