YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

regarding neti pot
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

yogadream
Posted 2005-08-14 5:36 PM (#29812)
Subject: regarding neti pot

long time viewer...1st time poster.....
I am going to try a neti. I cannot seem to find it to purchase in any local stores. Does anyone know of any place other than on-line in the Massachusetts area?
tia
days
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-14 6:46 PM (#29818 - in reply to #29812)
Subject: RE: regarding neti pot

I'm not in MA, but most of the health food stores around here (Michigan) are more than happy to order one for you! Also, I've found many health food stores actually have them but they're tucked away where I can't find them. Just ask!
easternsun
Posted 2005-08-16 12:58 AM (#29895 - in reply to #29812)

yogadream - 2005-08-15 6:36 AM

long time viewer...1st time poster.....
I am going to try a neti. I cannot seem to find it to purchase in any local stores. Does anyone know of any place other than on-line in the Massachusetts area?
tia
days

you can always use a small tea pot too!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-16 5:14 AM (#29903 - in reply to #29895)

I know you didn't want on-line, however I've recently used this company if it's any use to you :

I can't tell you how good it is yet as I'm having major issues with the delivery company they use in the UK, but my order was certainly despatched very promptly.

Fee

yogadream
Posted 2005-08-16 7:41 AM (#29913 - in reply to #29812)

thank you all for your suggestions. i am going to give my local health food store a call today and check with them before i attempt to purchase on-line.
have a great day
days
leela
Posted 2005-09-02 8:05 PM (#30881 - in reply to #29812)

if you can't find any--straws work well.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-03 10:16 AM (#30911 - in reply to #30881)

Expert Yogi

You might check at whatever stores in your area sell yoga stuff
or spiritual resources, new-age books, etc.

I have seen neti pots in health-oriented stores as well.
Graham
Posted 2005-09-04 5:43 AM (#30953 - in reply to #29812)

Hi,
last weekI bought and used a neti pot for the first time, the benefits are fantastic,i.e clear nasal passages, my eyes felt refreshed and a feeling of clear headedness.I havn't meditated after using it yet but I'm sure it will make a great difference when I do.
I bought my neti pot at www.shopneti.co.uk, they do ship overseas.
Namaste.
redtail
Posted 2005-09-05 6:44 AM (#31011 - in reply to #30953)

Hey Graham,

Welcome to the forum. I enjoy using my neti pot several times a week. Sometimes I will take a long, hot bath very early in the morning (3 or 4 am) and then use the neti pot. Then I will meditate and do hatha yoga afterwards. After that, it is time for breakfast! It works well for me.

Also, I purchased my neti pot from the local health food store.

Namaste
yogadream
Posted 2005-09-05 3:48 PM (#31051 - in reply to #31011)

i found and purchased one from my local walgreens. i used it last night with the salts/solution and then again this am without. it feels like chlorine went up my nose...that burning sensation you might experience when you get pool water up your nose...although i feel like i was in the proper position. i did not experience any comfort during the procedure, however, i have experienced better inhalation all day today.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-05 5:56 PM (#31067 - in reply to #31051)

Expert Yogi

yogadream - 2005-09-05 3:48 PM

i found and purchased one from my local walgreens. i used it last night with the salts/solution and then again this am without. it feels like chlorine went up my nose...that burning sensation you might experience when you get pool water up your nose....

Probably because chlorine did go up the nose along with all that salt stuff you added to it. Try filtered or bottled water with minerals in it. I use water from my artisian well, it's very smooth. Sometimes even bottled water can be too hard. You really shouldn't add anything to the water, especially if your not used to it. Try pinching the top of your nose as you allow the water in, then immediately blow it back out. This helps in the beginning as your getting used to having water blown up your nose - most people don't know what that's like.

You should be very careful with using the neti pot simply because you can irritate your nostril bigtime. This is something that not everyone needs and you should ask someone who know's the proper way to use it and the proper time when it should be used.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-06 5:19 AM (#31086 - in reply to #31067)

Further to my earlier post, the steel pot I bought from the following site is of excellent quality http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html

The accompanying literature and video describe stage 1 Neti very well (nostril to nostril). They strongly recommend personal tutalage in Jala Neti, especially stages 2 (nostril to mouth) and 3 (mouth to nostril). The documentation also includes guidance on when to do this both in terms of the time of day and how close to exercise and eating. The web-site itself also has a lot of information on cleansing techniques.

On the subject of nasal burning. It is important to have a 9% solution of pure water with sodium chloride. Some table salts may have iodine or anti-caking ingredients so check the label. The water temperature should be just a little warmer than tepid.

Regards,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2005-09-06 5:21 AM
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-06 12:58 PM (#31115 - in reply to #29812)

I have a Nasaline syringe and it works pretty well.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-07 10:35 PM (#31220 - in reply to #31115)

Expert Yogi

I find that adding just a bit of salt really makes neti more comfortable.
About 1/8 tablespoon of salt into the pot is enough.

BTW, anybody have an opinion on using iodized vs. noniodized salt?
Seems immaterial to me, but I've seen recommendations against iodine.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-08 5:14 AM (#31243 - in reply to #31220)

Same here; anti-iodine.

Fee

yogadream
Posted 2005-09-11 7:49 PM (#31569 - in reply to #31243)

i boiled off some tap water and let it cool to room temp. i figured it would remove any impurities but it was more uncomfortable than the 1st time. i am afraid of it now. i really want to use it but ......
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-09-11 10:51 PM (#31580 - in reply to #29812)

get an experienced instruction in relation to your personal situation.

neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
redtail
Posted 2005-09-12 6:45 AM (#31588 - in reply to #31569)

I am not 100% sure about this, but I would say that boiling did NOT remove the chlorine in your tap water. You should simply go to the store and purchase some distilled water and use that. I gently boil it, add the salt, let it cool and then it's ready. I live in an extremely dry climate at about 7000 ft. above sea level. Because of that, it has been recommended that I NOT use the salt, but I like to add a little, tiny pinch anyway. Try using distilled water and see if this helps. It could also be that your nostrils are simply sensitive to this new "intruder," and you will need to get used to this practice.

Namaste
yogadream
Posted 2005-09-12 8:04 AM (#31593 - in reply to #31588)

thank you for your suggestions. i truly appreciate it.
tourist
Posted 2005-09-12 10:49 AM (#31611 - in reply to #31593)

Expert Yogi

yogadream - it is really more about getting the positioning exactly right, in my experience. When I get it all right, I don't get that horrible water-up-the-nose feeling and it all flows properly. But most of the time I get the stinging and watery eyes and I HATE it So I don't neti much even though I think it would be good for me.....
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-12 11:12 AM (#31614 - in reply to #31611)

Regarding getting the pot position right. I've noted reference points on my kitchen walls when I did get it right that I now use each time. For example, when I have the spout in my right nostril, I stare at my kitchen towels hanging on their hooks on the wall, and at my wall clock when the spout is in the left side. Of course, one has to get the position right at least once before being able to use this as an aid

Fee

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-12 3:30 PM (#31626 - in reply to #29812)

I am wondering if you neti-ers use your pot regularly during times of extreme allergies? Does it hurt or help? My allergies have been ABOMINABLE this year, and I've avoided the neti because of a few bad experiences with the sinuses just being too unbelievably blocked for anything to flow. Then I just get dribbles down my throat and a headache. Should I just avoid it untll the first hard freeze?

Just when I think I could never want summer to end, the pollen and mold of September makes me pray for snow!

Posted 2005-09-12 4:35 PM (#31646 - in reply to #29812)

i don't have allergies, but my friends who do and use neti, use neti more then--less neti more often, if that makes sense. also, instead of down the throat, spit it out--that helps. and, from mouth to nose is also good.

so, that's what i hear.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-13 5:54 AM (#31694 - in reply to #31626)

I had hayfever so badly at one point that I thought I would have to go to a hospital for treatment. My grass pollen allergy had developed into a full blown allergic reaction to grass. My doctor recommended acupuncture instead. In one season I went from 10 tablets a day of the 2-a-day Triludan tablets + steroid nasal spray + asthma inhaler from March to October (grass-cutting season in the UK) to 6 tablets the entire season the following year. Many of my doctor's patients are cured of their allergies, the rest are on much reduced levels of medication. I got this treament free on the NHS fortunately, but I still say it would be worth the money if you have to pay, if only in reduced drug charges. I wasn't convinced one way or the other before treatment but, boy I am now!

Fee

jeansyoga - 2005-09-13 8:30 PM I am wondering if you neti-ers use your pot regularly during times of extreme allergies? Does it hurt or help? My allergies have been ABOMINABLE this year, and I've avoided the neti because of a few bad experiences with the sinuses just being too unbelievably blocked for anything to flow. Then I just get dribbles down my throat and a headache. Should I just avoid it untll the first hard freeze? Just when I think I could never want summer to end, the pollen and mold of September makes me pray for snow!

Edited by Orbilia 2005-09-13 5:59 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-13 5:57 AM (#31695 - in reply to #31626)

Having experimented a bit in the few days this thread's been running, I've found that the tendency to burn seems to be particularly related to :

a) Having the water too cold (too warm also but not to the same degree)

b) Not having all the salt dissolved

Fee

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)