YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Awesome Pilates feedback
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-10 4:51 PM (#29540)
Subject: Awesome Pilates feedback

About 4-6 weeks ago, I had some new students at the Y inquire about Pilates. They are a mother & daughter team, daughter is mid-30's and mom is mid-50's, both overweight and not exercisers. They expressed that they really wanted to try Pilates but were afraid they were too fat to do it (this is a common fear with yoga, too). I explained to her that weight is not a barrier at all, because Pilates is all about deep muscle strength. Heavy non-exercisers have more natural muscle strength than skinny non-exercisers because they have to carry their own frames.

Anyway, they gave it a shot. They certainly struggled, but felt confident enough to keep coming back. I've been watching them carefully and they both seem to be gaining strength, slowly but surely. Last night, they brought 4 friends with them to class, and afterward came up to me with very happy, relaxed expressions on their faces. They were both starting to feel changes in their bodies, and mom proudly announced "I haven't had to see the chiropractor in 3 weeks!"

I am so pleased!!! I love Pilates!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaChick
Posted 2005-08-10 5:51 PM (#29541 - in reply to #29540)
Subject: RE: Awesome Pilates feedback

Doesn't it give you warm fuzzies inside when your students feel changes and get excited about them??!!

tourist
Posted 2005-08-10 8:08 PM (#29562 - in reply to #29540)

Expert Yogi

Jean! So wonderful!!! And you know, it is partly the system and a big chunk 'o your great teaching, I am sure
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-10 9:28 PM (#29568 - in reply to #29540)

that's awesome, jeans!  I second what tourist said... It takes a super teacher to keep "non exersizers' coming back.

<<<kitty says yay!

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-11 4:47 PM (#29617 - in reply to #29540)

Thanks so much guys! I try so hard to make my beginners feel welcome and successful, so this especially made my heart sing. It's fun to put the advanced students through their paces, but so much more gratifying to see someone afraid of exercise come around to love it. I've been there; I KNOW how hard it is to walk in that door the first time.
Pason
Posted 2005-08-12 11:53 PM (#29715 - in reply to #29617)

Thats a great story and I'm so happy to hear that they are continuing with their fitness program. I love to see the progress and discipline in my clients aswell, expecially the ones that are not "fitness freaks". Wonderful!

Pason
tourist
Posted 2005-08-12 11:54 PM (#29717 - in reply to #29715)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Pason - tell us a bit about yourself! You teach Pilates?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-31 10:04 AM (#30650 - in reply to #29540)

More great news from that same student! Last night I went up to her after class and commented that I could tell she was able to do a lot more of the exercises, and her form was really looking good. Her bicycle kicks were sweet! She just beamed and told me that she had been on a combination of extra-strength Excedrin and Darvocet for the last 2 years (for hip pain and heel spurs), and last night realized that she hadn't taken any in over a month. Yee haw!!!!!
tourist
Posted 2005-08-31 10:47 AM (#30659 - in reply to #30650)

Expert Yogi

Wow Jean - great! I have a yoga friend that had extreme pain and was "cured" by yoga. She hugged me on a busy street corner the first time she slept through the night without drugs

I did some subbing while on holidays and one of the students remarked that the first class I did was "too relaxing" (hey, they told me "gentle"!) . Anyway, the next week when he looked in the room and saw me I got a "yesssss!" and one of those punching the air gestures (what do you call that anyway?) so I guess he actually had enjoyed the "too relaxing" class. A great feeling!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-31 10:56 AM (#30663 - in reply to #29540)

Doesn't that make it the best job in the world? I swear, when stuff like that happens, I would pay them to let me teach!

Also when I used to teach Prenatal Yoga, sometimes a student would e-mail me baby pictures. I felt like doing backflips!
tourist
Posted 2005-08-31 1:06 PM (#30671 - in reply to #30663)

Expert Yogi

Awwwwh! I used to get baby photos, too plus I got to see them for real when I worked with La Leche League and did lactation consulting. I am getting a bit excited to go back to work Friday because my new little ones will be coming in to visit their "school" I have a 6 month old this year! OK, but not toooo excited. Work is still work....
throwtoy
Posted 2005-08-31 1:48 PM (#30673 - in reply to #29540)

i had a student that was having hip problems and wasn't able to run without any pain and since taking my classes and some help from me during class she's able to run her 3-5 miles and no longer has that pain. also to my surprise i had a student come up to me that is on a liver transplant list and the nurses and doctors commented that she's looking great and so healthy considering and aksed her what she's been doing.

sometimes it's just the best thing when you get that feedback from your students and know that THIS is one of the reasons i love doing this. Not for the praise, but the fact that I was able to help someone not be in pain or feel better during a bad time. I've had a lot of sports related injuries in the past and have been helped by many people and it's nice to now pass it on and help someone else.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-31 2:46 PM (#30680 - in reply to #29540)

So true - good point. I think most of us got into this in order to help people, not just because it is "fun" (and certainly not because its easy!). Of course I know it is the exercises that are helping them, but it's a joy and privilege to be able to communicate that to people effectively.

I'd much rather hear someone say "Your classes helped my back pain" than "You're pretty!" Although I'll take what I can get.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-31 11:12 PM (#30718 - in reply to #30680)

Expert Yogi

I have student who has arthritis and swears it is the yoga that makes it possible for her to sleep through the night. She teaches tai chi and joint mobilization classes for seniors and does all the "right" stuff but it was yoga that made the biggest difference. It is a GREAT feeling!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)