YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New teacher needs some advice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

aaron
Posted 2005-08-09 11:40 AM (#29348)
Subject: New teacher needs some advice

Last February I started teaching a small class for the staff of a local non-profit. Now I would like to start teaching at a studio or some place where I could work with more students. Something more public. The thing is that I am feeling a bit frozen. I'm not exactly sure where to go or how to do it. Any advice on how to approach studio owners? Can anyone tell me a story or two on how you got started? That would be really helpful.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-09 1:39 PM (#29371 - in reply to #29348)
Subject: RE: New teacher needs some advice

What part of the country are you in? Are there lots of professional yoga instructors all around, or are classes hard to find? This can make a big difference!

I happen to live in a place where yoga teachers are few and far between, so in a way I'm lucky. When I first started, I put together a small resume that explained my objectives, experience, and training. Originally I contacted a small studio and asked if I could assist with some of their classes to further my training, and they were happy to oblige. In fact, within a few weeks they asked me to start teaching my own class!

Later I learned of a teacher that had recently left town, so I contacted the community college where she used to teach. Basically I just sent them my resume and said "I understand you may need a yoga teacher this fall, and I'm available!" They had me fill out a few forms, and have kept my weekday evenings pretty full for 2 years now.

Another teacher tipped me off to this little trick, which has worked like a CHARM for me. I looked up the names of the Group Fitness managers for several local gyms, and e-mailed them my resume saying "If you ever find you need a sub for your yoga classes, I'm available!" The market being what it is out here, most of the gyms were VERY happy to have me on the sub roster. One of them (the YMCA) called within an hour of receiving my resume and asked me to come in and discuss taking over a regular class. It snowballed into a full-time job very quickly and I'm VERY happy with the results!

Good luck, and let us know how you do!
aaron
Posted 2005-08-09 5:23 PM (#29408 - in reply to #29348)

I live in Washington DC, right in the heart of the city. There are 5 studios within a couple of neighborhoods of where I live and work! So, sometimes it seems like everyone is trying to be a yoga teacher around here.

I am just beginning to put together a pamphlet about my teaching style, etc. I thought that would be good to send out. I don't have a lot of teaching experience but I guess one has to start out somewhere/some time.

Ultimately, I want to teach at the studio where my teacher is but he wants you to be teaching somewhere else first. Most of his teachers at the studio have been teaching for over 20 years. The quality of the students seems to be different at the studio where i study than at the gyms where I have taken class. At first I didn't want to teach in gyms at all. I think I'm just nervous about getting my name out there.

I'll let you know how the hunting goes!

Posted 2005-08-09 5:46 PM (#29412 - in reply to #29348)

start with a resume. my resume has the following sections: Yoga Qualifications; Yoga Experience (her i put my training experience); Professional Organizations; Buddhist Studies; Publications (new for me!); and Teaching Experience (employers).

Once you have a resume, i recommend that you brainstorm about where you can teach--gyms, wellness centers, yoga studios, pilates studios (they may be interested), hospitals, physical therapists offices, chiropractor's offices, recreational centers, public or community parks and centers, churches, etc. If you're just starting out, your best bet would be to stick to places that will pay you. Once you get a client base, then branch out--renting space to hold classes in.

Take your resume to these places. A few days later, call these places back and ask to set up a time to talk to you about your resume. Some places may not know that they need or want a yoga program--such as adult day facilities. But, if you went to them and suggested that you all fill out a grant and get some money together for props, etc, you could have a really good, regular gig! You may have to convince gyms that you're a good fit for them and why.

Brochures are a great way to get private clients and to get clients to your classes. Many studios operate on a 'per capita' basis for some teacher's pay. That is, if the class grows exponentially--perhaps faster than the studio is growing--or if the teacher's classes are the largest, the teacher will get part of the money coming in on top of the 'basic' rate. So, advertising your classes on your own is always a good idea. This is also a way to build your own programs if you are renting a room at a local church or rec center.

This should get you started at least, no? Good luck with everything. if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-09 5:58 PM (#29415 - in reply to #29348)

Senior centers are awesome - the seniors LOVE yoga and get great benefits. Plus they've been around a while, so sometimes they have great contacts in the community. Word of mouth from a satisfied customer is better than any advertising money can buy!

Posted 2005-08-09 6:17 PM (#29424 - in reply to #29348)

i completely agree--they are the most fun people around. they'll try anything and the just love doing and trying new things. it really is great. and their particularly feisty in a group! LOL

one group i taught used to play a game "who can make the yoga teacher blush, and how long does it take?" usually, not long, and they got a kick out of it! LOL

too good!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-08-09 9:46 PM (#29452 - in reply to #29424)
Subject: RE: New teacher needs some adv

zoebird - 2005-08-09 6:17 PMLOL one group i taught used to play a game "who can make the yoga teacher blush, and how long does it take?" usually, not long, and they got a kick out of it! LOLtoo good!

There's a story behind that one, now out with it! 

Posted 2005-08-10 7:18 AM (#29480 - in reply to #29348)

well, now i'm used to it. but when i was younger, they used to tell 'dirty' or 'off-color' stories and jokes during class. it used to embarass me!

not that i didn't think that 'old' people thought bout these things (or did them), but because i used to be more shy about sexuality in general. now i'm really open about it. I hit them right back with "do this, and you'll shoot your boyfriend across the room" statements in their classes.

and trust me, they do that movement. LOL
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-08-14 6:53 PM (#29820 - in reply to #29348)

What an interesting question- perhaps we should consider a new 'page' dedicated to business tips for teachers. I certainly could do with a few.

I fell into yoga when all my teachers asked me to substitute for them whenever they were away. Their classe loved me so they always called me back again. Eventually they started recommending me to other gyms when they were approached to teach but couldn't. I now 'almost about' to get my own class with a local gym that I've been substituting for. Word of mouth builds business.

I've now got the confidence to cold-canvass and volounteer my services to other gyms. Breaking the ice is the hardest but once it's broken you're swimming... If you know what I mean.

I also volounteered to teach yoga for free to deserving organisations. Initially I considered the ones I would like to teach (abused women and children, orphans etc) then I had this epiphany to teach alcoholics which I resisted because I resent alcoholics as my father & step-father were abusive alcoholics- thought some very unyogic thought about having anything to do with anyone who was an alcoholic. While meditating on the subject I recognised they were people with a disease- not simply diseased! A week later I saw an advert for gay-alcoholic mens support group! I knew it was sign.

If you are passionate about teaching and can afford to teach for free (even 1 hour/week) you will eventually find leads that help you grow into a business!

Best of luck!

I like the idea of a forum wheere teachers can discuss and share ideas about the business side of teaching yoga, explore teaching styles... anyone else keen?
easternsun
Posted 2005-08-16 11:40 PM (#29982 - in reply to #29820)
Subject: RE: New teacher needs some adv

yogi-boy - 2005-08-15 7:53 AM

What an interesting question- perhaps we should consider a new 'page' dedicated to business tips for teachers. I certainly could do with a few.

I like the idea of a forum wheere teachers can discuss and share ideas about the business side of teaching yoga, explore teaching styles... anyone else keen?

I think that is what the Yoga Teachers forum is for...N'est-ce pas?
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-08-21 4:31 PM (#30124 - in reply to #29348)

Dont look for a place that will take you but look at a place you would like to work.
Try to introduce it to a gym.
"Yoga is like a religion so be a Preacher Man and spread the good word!"
mishoga
Posted 2005-10-01 7:49 AM (#33460 - in reply to #29348)

Expert Yogi

When I decided to instruct, I approached my local elementary school and presented a plan they couldn't resist. I commited to teach classes throughout the schoolyear asking for absolutely no compensation. All the proceeds were donated to the school. I taught 3 sessions. Each session raised $1500.
I exposed many people who would otherwise never have taken yoga classes and they felt good their money was going to benefit their children. I also have a strong following from that experience which was only in one small area.
I have many friendships that developed during those months. It was one of the most rewarding experiences for me that I continue to offer my services as seva work for the community. I teach in the Middle school, and I teach Girlscouts (so they can earn their badges), and I just commited to helping raising money to help send children to camp (these children have lost a parent to cancer) This is kind of like a "Pay it Forward" act. It makes me feel good to make others feel good. Maybe....just maybe I can wipe out some of the crazy things I did as a teenager...Hehehehe!!!!
The wonderful thing about teaching locally, especially if you know some of the people entering your class, is that they are very forgiving when they know you are donating your time. I kind of felt that we all grew together and learned more about ourselves through one another. As a group grows together, it kind of becomes special time and a sacred place to let go. It was very deep for all including me.
Any community organization, such as a school, 55 and over community that houses a fitness center, village hall (as they offer cultural programs to the community), preschools (if you're comfortable working with small children), hospitals, etc..... can be approached. You are offering something positive and your intention is good. If they can accomodate, they will. It benefits them. Don't be scared to take the plunge. I've always been scared of rejection but I think my love for yoga shows. it has been all positive and led me to a path with many open doors. I feel confident, even passionate about what I do.
For me, it was amazing.
Please let us know what you do. I love hearing warming stories of the generosity of the heart.
Mishy

Edited by mishoga 2005-10-01 7:50 AM
isha
Posted 2005-10-03 10:24 AM (#33567 - in reply to #29348)

Mishoga, thanks for telling your inspiring story!
I've found that the best way to find and teach classes is to network with other teachers who perhaps have a similar teaching style and will call you to sub. I agree that subbing is a great way to get your foot in the door.
Isha
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)