YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll What besides Yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

What besides Yoga?
OptionResults
Cardio Classes/Equipment6 Votes - [11.54%]
Weight Training9 Votes - [17.31%]
Pilates5 Votes - [9.62%]
Walking/Running/Hiking outdoors14 Votes - [26.92%]
Biking (Mountain or Neighborhood)5 Votes - [9.62%]
Kayak or Canoe2 Votes - [3.85%]
Yoga is all I need!3 Votes - [5.77%]
martial arts2 Votes - [3.85%]
swimming2 Votes - [3.85%]
rock climbing1 Votes - [1.92%]
Beer Drinking2 Votes - [3.85%]
Dance1 Votes - [1.92%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-08 3:50 PM (#29239)
Subject: What besides Yoga?

I am just curious to know what kind of fitness regimen everyone follows, in addition to your yoga practice! Please feel free to add options, and to post messages telling us more about the workouts you like!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-08 4:04 PM (#29241 - in reply to #29239)
Subject: RE: What besides Yoga?

I used to be more of a gym rat, but now it's mostly yoga and kickboxing classes... sometimes I run or cycle (inside)

I don't consider hiking a workout for me, that is I never go outdoors with the intention of fitness but more like enjoyment.

I have just started getting into Pilates, mostly because of that commercial where all these people are talking about how they are going to get through the winter and this woman says" I do Pilates...I just shovel out"

Anya

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-08-08 4:07 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-08 4:10 PM (#29242 - in reply to #29239)

My hubby and I just started getting into geocaching - we loved those hikes so much that we've gotten into some hardcore cardio hikes! We found a nearby state park with a couple of complicated mountain bike trails. I'm no mountain biker, so we go during super slow times and "power hike" over all the roots and around the zig-zag turns. It's so much fun!!!

For people in better shape than me, that probably wouldn't be a workout. But I sweat like a horse and have very sore legs afterward!
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-08 4:17 PM (#29244 - in reply to #29242)

jeansyoga - 2005-08-08 4:10 PM

My hubby and I just started getting into geocaching - we loved those hikes so much that we've gotten into some hardcore cardio hikes! We found a nearby state park with a couple of complicated mountain bike trails. I'm no mountain biker, so we go during super slow times and "power hike" over all the roots and around the zig-zag turns. It's so much fun!!!

For people in better shape than me, that probably wouldn't be a workout. But I sweat like a horse and have very sore legs afterward!

Ha! it's not that I am in such good shape... I just end up wandering around the woods, communing with nature, and eating the backpack full of "power snacks" (chocolate) that i bring with me in case i get "lost" (hungry)

I am so interested in that geocaching thing. what things do people leave?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-08 4:30 PM (#29246 - in reply to #29239)

Actually, it's mostly junk - little plastic Happy Meal type toys, golf tees, ping pong balls. Occasionally you get lucky and find a cool keychain or bottle opener. This weekend I found a fat little pink stuffed bunny dressed like a ballerina! I HAD to have her, so we left a small container of Play-Doh in exchange. Also, sometimes people leave "Travel Bugs" which you are supposed to take, log in to the website, and then place them in another cache - the owners like to track the bug's travels and see where they go. Sometimes they have a destination in mind, sometimes not. I like to read the logbooks and see what other cachers have written. Many of them also leave laminated calling cards, often with cute graphics or sayings.

I thought my husband was a real dork when he told me about this, but it is turning out to be a lot of fun!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-08 5:05 PM (#29259 - in reply to #29246)

Expert Yogi

Jean,

That reminds me of the hiker's trail log's that are on the Appalachain Trail. The first time I went to the trail head I sat down for an hour reading the log book. It was hilarious to read about what other people had experienced on the trail and the stories were just too funny. I liked the bear's would take off with the camping gear stories or unexpected weather changes stories are always a hoot. I personally have one of those stories myself.

Oh, well, next week I won't be here on this forum because I'm going on a small vacation on the Blue Ridge Parkway - I can't wait to get deeper in them hills to do some serious hiking and back to nature.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-08-08 8:50 PM (#29280 - in reply to #29239)

Crossfit and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have all the bases covered.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-08 9:02 PM (#29283 - in reply to #29280)

Expert Yogi

I kayak a bit and walk sometimes but neither for fitness. Yoga is IT.
easternsun
Posted 2005-08-09 12:25 AM (#29319 - in reply to #29239)

i bike because it is how i get around - i dont consider it fitness. i walk , hike and run but i like to do walking/runnin meditation, so i dont think of that as exercise either!

i dont think of yoga as fitness either. hmmm.

i guess my fitness routine is on the spot pilates when i have a few minutes. that is about it.

Posted 2005-08-09 3:50 PM (#29392 - in reply to #29239)

i do most of these things for fun, not fitness, but they keep you fit! i just like to move.

right now, my usual schedule of movement is yoga, walking or hiking, swimming, weight training, and rock climbing. I yoga every day, walk or hike every day, swim 1-3 days a week, weight train 1 time per week, and rock climb 1-3 days per week (it's usually swimming or rock climbing, not both, and not on weight training days).

i just like to move. I'm thinking of signing up for a 'hip hop dance' class at the Y where i teach. it's $3 per session--which i feel i can afford--and it's on friday nites, so that may work. it might be fun.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-09 4:10 PM (#29401 - in reply to #29239)

I have a couple of cardio dance DVD's that incorporate hip-hop moves. It's a blast!!! I keep thinking someday I'm going to go to a club and bust out.

But, don't hold your breath. I wish someplace offered that class around here!

Posted 2005-08-09 4:16 PM (#29403 - in reply to #29239)

i know it sounds crazy, but i really want to learn to break dance. the local dance studio that teaches hip hop also teaches break dancing. but you have to be hip-hop level 3 before you can take break dancing.

i think i'm hip hop level -3. and the classes aren't at times where i can take it! so, it looks like i'll be at the Y for a while.

Posted 2005-08-09 4:18 PM (#29404 - in reply to #29259)

cyndi:

have a great time on the blue ridge parkway. Two years ago, my husband, his friend and i went on a trip there. did lots and lots of hiking. Of course, it rained the whole time and we had NONE of the supposedly wonderful views--but we LOVED it anyway. it was awesome!

i hope you have a great time!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-09 10:12 PM (#29458 - in reply to #29404)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Zoebird,

Actually, I live very close to the parkway. I decided instead of going to Miami that I wanted to go up to a higher elevation and enjoy the scenery for a few days with no cell phone, no lap top, no business to do, no homeschool, no yoda, no parrots, cats or bees...just me, Satyam, Kristina and our hiking boots, trailmix, Chai, and of course our handydandy rainsuits... before they closed that part of the highway for the winter. We will probably get a mixture of everything and it will be much cooler than here on my mountain. The BRP is one of the last sacred places on earth I believe. I love to just go for a day drive for many hours, it clears your head. North Carolina is the prettiest state to live in and I am so happy to call this my home. Then we will head into to town and visit the Biltmore House, Satyam has never seen the big mansion. Won't he be surprised,

Posted 2005-08-10 10:25 AM (#29508 - in reply to #29239)

we couldn't afford to go into the mansion, unfortunately. we just didn't feel that the $35 per person was worth it. we weren't 'that' into it. i'd love to see it, though, if osmone else was paying! LOL
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-10 11:01 AM (#29523 - in reply to #29508)

Expert Yogi

geez, is that how much it is these days??  Funny, when you live close to something you never pay that much attention.  Last time I was there they were filming Hannibal, with Anthony Hopkins.  I am actually on a video of the behind the scenes documentary of where they were showing how they filmed the movie at the Biltmore house.  I was walking down the stairs as they were filming the tourists who were observing some of the filming.  Interesting.  Well, Satyam will definitely be surprised about the $$,
aco118
Posted 2005-08-30 5:27 PM (#30621 - in reply to #29239)

I chose dance. Especially ballet. It is a great way to strengthen all parts of your body. It improves posture, increases flexibility and strength, and helps your balance and coordination. What more could you want?

-aco118
tourist
Posted 2005-08-31 10:47 AM (#30660 - in reply to #30621)

Expert Yogi

How 'bout fun?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-31 11:12 AM (#30665 - in reply to #29239)

Dance is a blast! I recently ordered some more bellydancing DVD's, I can't wait to shake my booty (of course, I can shake my booty right now but it will look much better after some professional guidance).

I started taking step aerobics, and the first class nearly killed me. But now that I'm starting to learn the choreography, it's really fun! It's a pretty advanced class (and I'm NOT an advanced student) so I burn about a trillion calories per session.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-07 1:14 PM (#31185 - in reply to #29239)

Yes, I did a step aerobic class. It was the most fun I've ever had embarassing myself!! I was totally off step and out of synch with everyone else. Finally I just stopped fighting it and cut loose into my own funky dance thing!! It was ghetto fabulous!!!
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-10-10 2:54 PM (#34062 - in reply to #29239)

Hi folks, this looks like a good place to post this:
I am psyched! I had not lifted weights for about 6 months (to make more time for yoga). I decided to add a once-a-week weight workout back into my routine now that winter is coming, and the cool thing is, I am stronger than I was 6 months ago. (I think I knew this anyway after focusing on power yoga for 6 mos, but it is cool to see it "proved" by the size of dumbbells I can lift.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)