YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anxiety
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Randa
Posted 2005-07-20 8:23 PM (#27836)
Subject: Anxiety

Hi. I have some sort of anxiety/panic disorder for the past 3 years. It has been really bad this past year. I am seeing a homeopathic doctor for this in the mean time. But I also practice yoga at home (e.g...following a video). Basically I am anxious almost every single day.....and its making me a different person. Can yoga really help me? I am not sure what yoga i am practicing......i'm not too familiar with the TYPES of yoga and what they are for. So if anyone can help me that would be great. I just need a little hope and faith that i can get through this. And i believe yoga can help. Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-21 9:51 AM (#27864 - in reply to #27836)
Subject: RE: Anxiety

Hi there,
Dealing with anxiety/panic disorders can be pretty scary. Especially when you don't know what is bringing them on. From my training in psychology, I would expect that psychotropic drugs are the best bet for dealing with anxiety attacks right now. Then working with a counselor, homeopath, etc. for the long term healing. Most of the time, anxiety is a condition of chemicals in our brain and nervous system brought on by something out of balance--it can even be our own thinking that changes it. If you are having panic attacks (racing heart, feeling tight in the chest), any form of increased exercise can bring them on. I would do a more gentle yoga like hatha, rather than a vigorous style, like asthanga. The focus on the breath in yoga may calm your mind somewhat.
bigmamma
Kabu
Posted 2005-07-21 10:10 AM (#27865 - in reply to #27864)

Bonnie, do you think meditation would help alleviate anxiety in some way? And I mean a consistent meditation practice, built up over a period of time, not just when a person has a panic attack.

My husband has a tendency towards anxiety among other things (he's wound up tight), and I've been seeing a therapist to learn more about this...the whys, the hows, etc. I think it's safe to say he'll never try Yoga or anything too funky, but I notice he's curious about my meditation. He comes in when I'm sitting there. He won't DO it with me, but I know he's watching me.

It's possible he might be open to learning how to sit quietly for 5 minutes, and I wondered if that might help a little. I've read a couple of books encouraging meditation, but I wondered what you thought.

Thanks!
tourist
Posted 2005-07-21 10:44 AM (#27870 - in reply to #27865)

Expert Yogi

Randa - welcome! Yoga can help a lot with anxiety over time. It is best to work with a teacher if at all possible and yes, I agree that a gentle style is probably more useful at least in the beginning. "Hatha" just means poses and breathing so a class or video marked hatha could be anything from mostly quiet, restful stuff to full-on aerobic style vinyasa. Which video do you have?

Lori - maybe if you didn't call it meditation he would be ok with it. I saw a technique (I think in YI) where you just count 7 breaths 7 times. Simple! And maybe he would feel better if he didn't close his eyes? He could just lower his eyes or rest them on an object, perhaps. Good luck with it - I still don't have DH coming over to the "dark side" but I think he will eventually
Kabu
Posted 2005-07-21 11:14 AM (#27873 - in reply to #27870)

The dark side...

Yeah, I figure it's all in the approach. The therapist and I laugh ourselves silly over book titles I'd love to recreate on my computer and tape over my current books just to freak Tom out. Like... "Your Loved One's Chakras" or "Enlightened Wives, Heathen Husbands." THAT would send him running.

He's slowly starting to recognize that he needs a little help, though he's still in the über stubborn stage. I figure we all evolve as time goes by, why should he be any different. In time...
Kabu
Posted 2005-07-21 11:18 AM (#27874 - in reply to #27836)

Hi Randa!

Yeah, let us know what tape you're using. A teacher would be great, but if you can only do tapes/DVDs right now, some of us have great Yoga libraries ~ we could suggest a few for you. I sound like a broken record on this subject, but Amazon.com has a great variety along with helpful customer reviews. Excellent $$ too. (I swear...I don't work for Amazon! )

I'm sorry you're suffering. I'm glad you're seeing someone. Has your doc suggested a therapist? They really help!
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-07-21 1:10 PM (#27885 - in reply to #27836)

Did anyone suggest Restorative Yoga? Didn't throughly read all the posts. It's definitely a personal decision and you should trust your gut feeling with your health but if it were me I'd sway towards Iyengar.

Good luck ~
bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-21 6:48 PM (#27896 - in reply to #27836)

Regarding meditation and anxiety.
One of the things a therapist would do with an anxiety client is to teach breathing skills. Almost exactly like yoga teaches us. Slowing the breath, awareness of the breath, breathing with all the lungs, not just from the top. Taking a few deep breaths when you are feeling overwhelmed or feel a panic attack coming on. Anything to focus the mind away from its stream of anxious thoughts. For someone that is not initially attracted to meditation, I would just start there, as tourist suggested, with open eyes, presenting it as a physiological exercise rather than a meditation. Some people are turned off by closing their eyes and going in to their head. Especially people with control issues. Fear of being manipulated, remembering a trauma tucked safely away, what-have-you...And for some, not being able to really relax and turn your thoughts off can feel daunting and actually raise anxiety. I used to work with troubled kids in group homes, a long time ago, who suffered from insomnia or excessive worrying. They always liked me to do an savasana type exercise in which they layed on their backs and I led them through a slow relaxation from toes to head ("your toes are relaxing, your knees are relaxing, etc"). These were tough kids who would never-ever do "hippie yoga" but didn't mind if it was presented a different way. hope that helps.
Bigmamma
tourist
Posted 2005-07-21 7:15 PM (#27901 - in reply to #27896)

Expert Yogi

Bonnie - I remember seeing a practice sequence BKS Iyengar wrote after some serious earthquakes in India. He had them do savasana with their eyes open to help ease the fear that sometimes comes as you say, when "going into the head." Funny for some of us it is the "happy place" to close our eyes and drift away from the "real world" and for others that is where all the terrors are hiding! I agree about presenting it as a physical exercise working for many people. It is a fact that anxiety creates tight breathing (and vice versa, actually - my DH though he was having anxiety issues when in fact he had asthma!) so give some simple breathing exercises to work on - a nice, simple, clean way to start.
Randa
Posted 2005-07-21 9:41 PM (#27916 - in reply to #27836)

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the quick responses. You guys are really great. I didnt think
that i would recieve so much support and it feels so good. Thanks again. The video I am using is called 'NEW YOGA" by Kathy Smith. She is actually pretty good and i feel really relaxed when i do the poses. Its not a vigorous exercise at all..........she does poses and holds them while we breath slowly. There is also some meditation involved.....so its pretty relaxing.
I just have a quick question that has nothing to do with anxiety......i want to change my user name from rAnda to something else. Its just cause i don't want people i know to see my name and my issues. My friends don't even know about my anxiety so i would prefer it to be confidential.........how do i change my name without creating a new account?
Thanks again for your advice guys!
tourist
Posted 2005-07-21 10:13 PM (#27921 - in reply to #27916)

Expert Yogi

Randa - go into the "control panel" on the upper right of the screen. You'll get to "edit profile" that way.
Kabu
Posted 2005-07-22 9:07 AM (#27931 - in reply to #27916)

I haven't seen that DVD, but I'm familiar with Kathy Smith. She's great, so I imagine her yoga DVD is pretty good too.

My husband suffers from a degree of anxiety, as do many people, so you don't have to feel funny talking about it here. I understand the need for confidentiality though (no one in our family knows). Just let us know what your new user name is.

I'm going to go look up Kathy's DVD...
Randa
Posted 2005-07-23 4:08 PM (#28014 - in reply to #27921)

Thanks Tourist! however, i went to the control panel and it did not give me the option to change my user name. It just gave me the option to change my password and some other characteristics. Sorry to keep bothering you, but am i doing it properly?
tourist
Posted 2005-07-23 8:41 PM (#28029 - in reply to #28014)

Expert Yogi

Down below the password box you should be able to edit the rest of your settings, I think? That's what shows up when I go there. I do have some magical powers, but I don't think that is one of them. I think anyone can do that - yogi or muggle
Jami800
Posted 2005-10-26 9:10 PM (#35161 - in reply to #27836)

I suffered from anxiety for years then I finally relented and started taking Zoloft. I feel like a normal person again. It is a matter of a chemical imbalance and so many people suffer needlessly thinking it is a "mental" problem.
Judi

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-26 10:16 PM (#35183 - in reply to #27836)

Randa:
1. You need someone who knows you well. That means you have to make yourself known to that person.

2. AND, that person must have experience in handling persons such as you.

3. AND, that person should be a Yoga Practitioner

4. AND, you must find time, energy, money, and whatever to go to such a person.

5. AND, you must do what that person instructs,

6. AND, NOT do anything else for a while.

From what I can see, your problem is mental, but you are assuming it is physical and taking chemicals. But, your problem may be chemical if a) it is from childhood b) something sudden has happened to change the chemistry, etc.

Best Wishes
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)