YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acid reflux (nauli & ayurveda)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

musicfan78
Posted 2005-07-19 12:35 PM (#27661)
Subject: Acid reflux (nauli & ayurveda)

Hi guys,

I've had acid reflux problems for a while now, more than 3 years. I got it somewhat under control where I stopped taking medications, but nevertheless it still bothers me. I changed my diet, tried different remedies, but it just doesn't seem to go away. I have hiatal hernia, so that may be the reason for that.

Next I want to try "nauli" (I think that's what it's called), which is a technique where you gradually swallow a cloth tape and then take it out, thus cleaning the stomach. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or can direct me to a good teacher who could share his/her knowledge about this subject.

I also want to find a good Ayurveda doctor to try some herbal and diet approahes. I live in NJ. Any help with directing me to the right resources is greatly appreciated

Namaste,

Stan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-07-19 7:34 PM (#27716 - in reply to #27661)
Subject: RE: Acid reflux (nauli & ayurv

Expert Yogi

Stan - if I were you I would only do those practices under the supervision of someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. With a hiatal hernia in there you could run into some serious problems, I think.

I have severe reflux myself and have looked at a few things. Nothing has helped int he long run. One thing I would suggest is getting a gastro to have a look in there every few years to make sure you are not developing Barrett's esophagus. I had one recently and was very relieved to hear it was "clean". I am now going to look into some energy healing and different things since the docs really can't do much besides give me more meds to keep the acid levels down.

Do you practice yoga asana? I can give you some tips on good sequences if you don't have a routine already.
musicfan78
Posted 2005-07-21 9:30 AM (#27859 - in reply to #27716)

Thanks tourist, I appreciate your reply. Yes, I practice hatha yoga, and I would love to hear about your sequences. Some of the things that have been helping me is separating proteins from the carbs diet, not drinking while I eat (drink beforehand), elevated bed, drinking enough water throughout the day and of course avoiding trigger foods. I'm hoping that yoga cleansing techniques and herbal medicines will provide an answer for me. Just need to find a good Ayurveda doctor in my area...
tourist
Posted 2005-07-21 10:54 AM (#27871 - in reply to #27859)

Expert Yogi

Stan - I have found I need to keep what I think of as "heavy" proteins (meat, cheese, even soy) to a minimum and really watch the portion size. Too much food at once almost always is a bad idea for me. I also eat very little after about 5 or 6 pm and what I eat then is sort of semi-solid like yogurt or soups. Awful when one is invited out for dinner, but that is how it is...

Asana practice has made a big difference in some of my digestive issues. Inversions like headstand and shoulderstand are key, as are supported backbends such as setu bandha sarvangasana, dwi pada viparita dandasana and viparita karani (all of these are done Iyengar style with chairs, bolsters etc.). Twists are the best for wringing out the innards! So a typical practice might be a few standing poses, headstand, viparita dandasana from the chair or backbender, some seated twists, a couple of forward bends then shoulderstand, setu bandha, viparita karani, savasana. You can elevate your upper body for savasana if the reflux bothers you in the pose.

Keep us informed of how things are going for you.
musicfan78
Posted 2005-07-22 9:37 AM (#27934 - in reply to #27871)

Thank you very much for your suggestions, they're very helpful! Just one more question, what is Viparita Dandasana? I can't find it on www.yogajournal.com

Thanks!

Stan
tourist
Posted 2005-07-22 10:08 AM (#27935 - in reply to #27934)

Expert Yogi

The full pose of dwi pada viparita dandasana is here:
http://www.yogadancer.com/Pages/Dandasana.shtml#Dwi

The supported pose, (just called viparita dandasana) using a chair or back bender is here:
http://yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html
We usually don't keep the arms overhead when using a chair, but hold the the back of chair just above the seat or tuck your arms under the chair and hold the legs. Obviously a nice alternative pose for someone unable to be in the full pose for several minutes!

I think I forgot to say you should also do some belly-quieting poses like supta virasana or supta baddha konasana regularly as well.
musicfan78
Posted 2005-08-10 11:20 AM (#29524 - in reply to #27661)
Subject: RE: Acid reflux (nauli & ayurveda)

Thank you very much

I recently found that a tea spoon of olive oil helps calm down my symptoms. I can't say if it helps over a long period of time since I've only tried it for a couple of days so far. Also, like you said, the less we eat the easier it is on our stomachs, but the problem is that I'm very tall and skinny, and have been trying to gain weight my whole life.

I'm reading some books about herbal medicines now, and still looking for an expert who will guide me through that cleansing technique with the cloth.

Thanks very much for your replies
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-10 11:57 AM (#29526 - in reply to #29524)

I don't have any particular gastic issues (as far as I know :-) ) however on the occassions when I get acid, I find remembering to eat live yogurt daily helps a lot. I think in my case, getting over-tired / run-down / a cold etc upsets the natural flora in my stomach which then causes over-production of acid.

Fee

tourist
Posted 2005-08-10 8:17 PM (#29563 - in reply to #29526)

Expert Yogi

Fee - so true. I will sometimes be hungry at bedtime since I can't really eat past 5:30 or so and yogurt (especially good "live" stuff) is good to fill that little gap.

Olive oil is an interesting choice! I am glad it works for you. I am happy to go with whatever works For a long time the only thing that got rid of some of my irritable bowel symptoms was Dairy Queen ice cream. I was very disappointed when that stopped working!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-11 5:23 AM (#29576 - in reply to #29563)

Ice-cream for IBS? I *knew* there was a good reason for me scarfing a tubful at a time! When mine used to be far more of a problem than it is now (plenty of rest, a short course of anti-spasmodic drugs and learning that a good temper tantrum was just what the doctor ordered settled mine nicely), I used to find that the mere thought of booze would make me as green as grass. Then I discovered dark sweet sherry..... yep, I know, yuk, right? However, it used to ease the cramping and soothe the pain as if someone had poured some kind of magical elixir over it. Go figure?!

Fee

Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-11 10:14 AM (#29593 - in reply to #29563)

Expert Yogi

Tourist, Yogurt is the worst thing to eat at night, according to Ayurveda. My Mother in law calls from Nepal all the time to remind my husband of that. Also, Ice Cream for Irritable Bowel Syndrome??? No wonder it stopped working....it really never did, you just thought it did because your mind was too busy enjoying the Ice Cream - only you had to return and the face the problem eventually,
tourist
Posted 2005-08-11 10:38 AM (#29598 - in reply to #29593)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - well, I don't make a meal of yogurt at night ever and I don't do it regularly. I am sure there are many things I do that Ayurveda says are not healthy, but like I said, I go with what works. The ice cream thing was weird - it had to be Dairy Queen ice cream! And yes, it was something that had to be dealt with in the long run. Fortunately, since starting yoga I have pretty much zero IBS unless I slack of practice too long.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-11 10:52 AM (#29600 - in reply to #29598)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

I'm smiling and I say this without any disrespect to your previous problems with IBS, really I mean it. But, you cannot say it was working, because it wasn't. You were covering up your symptoms, pacifying them..that's not true healing. So, since the topic was about Ayurveda, I had to say this, otherwise you guys will be eating ice cream the rest of your lives thinking that you corrected your problem and I would hate to find you later on down the road with serious health problems, seriously.

For what its worth, I truly LOVE and ADORE Dairy Queen's soft ice cream cone, dipped in chocolate on a hot summer day. You ain't lived till you have eaten a "Dilly Bar". But, only once in a blue moon can I have this...otherwise, it will irritate the crap out of me, cause dampness and along with being too cold, making me constipated and bloated, and worse, a stuffy nose. Yesterday I was borderlining it by drinking a vanilla milk shake from Arby's...a small one,

Edited by Cyndi 2005-08-11 10:53 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-11 11:57 AM (#29605 - in reply to #29600)

Cyndi,

I agree regarding dealing with issues properly for a longer time cure. I have to tell you though.... IBS is a weird condition, sometimes all 'symptom' and no pain, other times no symptoms but the most appalling agony you can imagine and then some. On those occassions, you'd try pouring treacle over your head and running naked down the street juggling oranges if you thought it'd kill the pain!

Fee

Cyndi - 2005-08-11 3:52 PM Tourist, I'm smiling and I say this without any disrespect to your previous problems with IBS, really I mean it. But, you cannot say it was working, because it wasn't. You were covering up your symptoms, pacifying them..that's not true healing. So, since the topic was about Ayurveda, I had to say this, otherwise you guys will be eating ice cream the rest of your lives thinking that you corrected your problem and I would hate to find you later on down the road with serious health problems, seriously. For what its worth, I truly LOVE and ADORE Dairy Queen's soft ice cream cone, dipped in chocolate on a hot summer day. You ain't lived till you have eaten a "Dilly Bar". But, only once in a blue moon can I have this...otherwise, it will irritate the crap out of me, cause dampness and along with being too cold, making me constipated and bloated, and worse, a stuffy nose. Yesterday I was borderlining it by drinking a vanilla milk shake from Arby's...a small one,

tourist
Posted 2005-08-11 7:40 PM (#29626 - in reply to #29605)

Expert Yogi

Well now if we are going to be really picky, you'll notice I did say "got rid of the symptoms" not "cured." Yoga "cured" it!

Orb - it IS a strange disorder. I really was never diagnosed - on my way to that I was diagnosed with reflux and while practicing Iyengar yoga to help build strength to deal with the reflux, the IBS stuff disappeared. My English friend had the word that describes the feeling - she says it "creases" her.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-11 7:41 PM (#29627 - in reply to #29605)

Expert Yogi

Well now if we are going to be really picky, you'll notice I did say "got rid of the symptoms" not "cured." Yoga "cured" it!

Orb - it IS a strange disorder. I really was never diagnosed - on my way to that I was diagnosed with reflux and while practicing Iyengar yoga to help build strength to deal with the reflux, the IBS stuff disappeared. My English friend had the word that describes the feeling - she says it "creases" her.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-12 5:23 AM (#29639 - in reply to #29626)

Creases is an interesting way to put it. I found that one distinguising thing about IBS over other gastic issues is that the one thing I could never do during a pain attack was to curl up into a ball. I had to lie flat on my back and try to breath as shallowly as possible. I guess it makes sense that that would be the case when you have cramp in upteen feet of small intestine, but it still felt odd not to be able to go fetal.

One thing I'm really glad about is that I don't get those sort of attacks any more just the occassional issue, often around that time of the month *touching wood*. The planning of any journey around the location of every public loo in town and the cold sweats and agony type attacks just ate up so much energy.

I finally got the best help from my company doctor at the time I was diagnosed. He gave me great advice regarding how to get my own doctor at the time to understand just how crippling IBS can be and that I wasn't constantly at his surgery just to complain about some form of recurring mild upset. Typically though, said company doctor was drop dead gorgeous and looked like he hadn't had a day's illness in his life. I sure don't embarrass easily anymore, not after that first consultation or the endless frustration in shops over getting access to the staff loo :-(!

Fee

Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-12 10:41 AM (#29664 - in reply to #29605)
Subject: IBS - Benefits of Tumeric

Expert Yogi

One of the things I love about my husband’s Indian culture is the food. Indian food is very powerful and the herbs & spices they use are actual medicinal and protective for the human body system. One of the things I’ve noticed more than anything is I do not have IBS problems when I cook and eat this way on a daily basis. Sure, sometimes I eat my Southern food, but I have learned how to add the correct spices to get all the health benefits. I also do Acupuncture for balancing and Yoga. Having all that said, I wanted to mention to you about an Indian spice – Tumeric. Tumeric has so many benefits. This is one spice you really should add to your diet and cooking habits for symptoms such as IBS. IBS is not a disease, it is due to bad eating habits and wrong food combinations that cause this disorder within your body. Below is part of an article I happen to stumble upon in my TCMD’s office yesterday. It came from an Alternative Medicine magazine.

According to the National Resource Women’s Center, more than 37 million Americans suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), a condition that affects the movement of food through the intestines. IBS symptoms vary but may include constipation, diarrhea, bloating, pain and discomfort. The disease tends to affect more women than men.

Since IBS is difficult to treat, the encouraging results of a recent study using tumeric (Curcuma longa), a leading spice in Indian food, may be just what the herbalist ordered. In the study, published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 207 participants suffering from IBS received one or two 72 mg. tablets containing dried standardized tumeric daily for eight weeks. IBS symptoms were assessed at baseline and after treatment. A post-study analysis revealed a 53 percent fall in IBS prevalence in the group taking two. There was also a decrease in abdominal pain, with reductions of 22 percent and 25 percent respectively.

Although once thought to be primarily a stress-related condition, it is now known that many factors contribute to IBS including certain foods, eating habits and imbalances in intestinal flora.

The reasons that tumeric works so well with IBS and many other types of conditions, is because of the Ayurvedic properties of tumeric. Tumeric is, light, dry; taste: bitter, astringent; post-digestive taste: bitter; energy: hot; dosha action: balances vata, pitta and kapha. Pharmacological actions: anti-allergenic, antibacterial, antiviral (anti-HIV), antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiparasitic, antispasmodic, antitumor, carminative and diuretic.

Tumeric is known as the King of Spices in Ayurvedic medicine. A bitter spice, it helps cleanse the liver, purify the blood, and promote good digestion and elimination. It also has a powerful anti-inflammatory action without the unpleasant side affects of anti-inflammatory drugs.

Tumeric helps relieve: acne, allergies, ascites, auto-immune disorders, burns, chicken pox, diabetes, digestive disorders, gallbladder problems, liver damage due to toxic chemical exposure and drug use, liver disorders, skin rashes, tumors and ulcers.

Tumeric is very helpful for all doshas. In India, it has been used for thousands of years for its many healing and cleansing properties. It is a wonderful skin cleanser, color enhancer, and food preservative and is widely used for ritual purification. Also, recent studies show that tumeric is effective against cancerous tumors and HIV. Tumeric has no known harmful side affects and is safe for everyday use.

I use it for almost everything..yes, it will turn your food yellow and stain your clothes..although, I have managed to get rid of the color on my white clothes with bleach. Never where white to the temple (except the Shiva temple), otherwise you will come home with tumeric all over you. You can add it to rice while cooking to make it yellow. You can add it to soups, stir fry’s and basically anything. You never want to burn it though, otherwise it will be ruined. For instance, when I cook vegetables, I stir fry onion first, then I add tumeric (a small amount ¼ teaspoon, goes a long way), then I mix and stir fry lightly, then add vegetables. Some people add the tumeric after they add the vegetables.

As a dry powder, you can take ½ to 1-1/2 teaspoons 2 -3 x’s a day. As an extract (8:1) 250 mg. is taken 3 x’s a day. Start slowly if you are going to take it this way. Take ½ teaspoon only twice a day for starting out.

I just recently decided that I'm going to add Tumeric to Yoda's daily diet as well for his problems.

tourist
Posted 2005-08-12 10:52 AM (#29667 - in reply to #29664)
Subject: RE: IBS - Benefits of Tumeric

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - I was given tumeric in herbal preparations from the Naturopath. I was quite nervous to take it because I have had trouble with food made with tumeric before but it was fine. It is said to be very cleansing, right?

I agree that IBS is something that can be helped a GREAT deal with diet, although in my experience, movement is even more important. Mainstream exercise programs can help a lot - I had a friend who was helped a lot with just aerobics - but yoga is better because of the twisting, inverting and backbending. Moves those squiggly intestines around and keeps them healthy
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-12 11:16 AM (#29670 - in reply to #27661)

Cyndi is right on.I take tumeric capsules every day. It was recommended to me by a herbalist for joint pain, and it has relieved some discomfort, and does not irritate my tummy at all.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-12 11:24 AM (#29672 - in reply to #29670)

I kept a food diary when I was first diagnosed. In my case there wasn't a dietary component (my GP had suspected gluten intolerance apparently). As someone who tends to put her own desires behind those of friends and family, I learnt that bottling things up made me ill. A good rant now and again has done me marvels, even if the kitchen wall has it's fingers in its ears

I also keep ginger in the house as that is wonderful for settling an upset stomach.

Fee

anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-12 11:33 AM (#29676 - in reply to #29672)

Orbilia - 2005-08-12 11:24 AM

I kept a food diary when I was first diagnosed. In my case there wasn't a dietary component (my GP had suspected gluten intolerance apparently). As someone who tends to put her own desires behind those of friends and family, I learnt that bottling things up made me ill. A good rant now and again has done me marvels, even if the kitchen wall has it's fingers in its ears

I also keep ginger in the house as that is wonderful for settling an upset stomach.

Fee

I agree. sometimes people just don't hear ya till you scream!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-12 11:40 AM (#29677 - in reply to #29667)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-08-12 10:52 AM

Cyndi - I was given tumeric in herbal preparations from the Naturopath. I was quite nervous to take it because I have had trouble with food made with tumeric before but it was fine. It is said to be very cleansing, right?

Tourist,

Tumeric is not very cleansing in the manner I think you are thinking of. Tumeric is cleansing to your blood, and removes toxins, but at the same time it protects. Another words, your not going to be sent to the bathroom every 30mins like you would some cleansing type herbs. The reason is that tumeric balances ALL the dosha's, therefore you would not notice it that quickly, it would take time and be harmonious to your body rather than sending you into a shockwave. I feel very comfortable with tumeric and use it in my cooking at almost every meal. I buy it in a big huge bag for less than $5 at the Indian Market. Cooking with tumeric also helps Bikram Hot Yoga muscle pains. When I was doing Bikram every day for 2 months last winter, I really noticed it. My husband would cook for me during that time and knew exactly what my body was needing using Indian cooking methods...it was great! I felt like I was in a retreat healing center. Yoga definitely helps IBS symptoms, however, you should not just rely on yoga, also you really should pay attention to the food you eat and honor that.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-08-12 11:41 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-12 12:58 PM (#29681 - in reply to #29667)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

I did want to comment on the part about herbal preparations and food made with tumeric. Some of the herbal preparations that you see are not quite suited for every person's constitution, which is why I too am very hesitant too! I trust my husband's cooking with tumeric and other Indian spices in the way he prepares food because its been done in his culture for thousands of years and his parents are very knowledgeable about the uses of Ayurvedic medicine, herbs and cooking.

People here in the West scare me with some of things they conjure up, all in the name of health, and based on very little knowledge. So, I am saying that certain combinations are not always going to be correct, but if you are cooking with tumeric by itself, or with salt, or a garam masala, cumin or coriander, your pretty safe.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-12 8:13 PM (#29707 - in reply to #29681)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - yes, I realise it was not "cleansing" in the usual physical manner - more what used to be called "cleansing the blood" or liver or something It was actually a good experience with that particular preparation, which also had artichoke and a couple of other things. I quite like supplements that are more or less concentrated food. As you say, I could put it on my food but I don't care for the taste much.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)