YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acid reflux (nauli & ayurveda)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-10 12:27 PM (#40603 - in reply to #27661)
Subject: RE: Acid reflux (nauli & ayurveda)

Hi guys, I haven't been here in a while (since starting this thread!). At this point of time my GERD (acid reflux) has become much worst, after becoming much better for a couple of days. I'll tell you how it happened.

My doctor told me that my GERD was refusing to go away because of a small hiatal hernia, and that when the hiatal hernia was fixed it would heal much faster. So I researched how to fix hiatal hernia naturally and found out that many people had good results with good chiropractors, who can slide the hernia out but pressing in right places. So I found such chiropractor, and had him do this. He was pressing really hard, and in some instances it was a little painful. But after the visit I felt a huge difference. Right away I was able to eat more and the acid reflux was almost non-existent. I was extatic. But then after a few days, the symptoms started returning, so I went back and he did his thing again. This time it was a little more painful when he was pressing down. After the visit I think I felt a little better, but then a day or two later it came back with a vengance. I started getting dull pains in my stomach area, the ones that I don't remember getting in a while, since this whole GERD thing started. So I haven't gone back to the chiropractor yet, and at this point find myself taking two acid reducing pills a day, trying to find my way out of this mess.

I'm not sure if my condition became worse because of the pressure that the chiropractor was applying to my stomach area, or because I started eating much more after I felt better, or both. But at this point what matters is getting this condition back under control.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-10 12:44 PM (#40607 - in reply to #40603)

Expert Yogi

This is where I have a problem with medicine. First of all, you have to change your dietary habits in order to get success. You said after your treatments you went out and ate more. Those were the key words that told me that is where part of your problem is. You can't just go back out and eat whatever you want. You need to start slowly. You should not even be eating large amounts of food - period. You probably had a great deal of energy and pressure released after your treatment..making you feel better. This is where your window of opportunity is to change your dietary habits and is necessary for your treatment. You should have several small meals a day. In fact, I would say eat one thing at a time in small amounts. Large meals is the biggest culprit to this disorder. I bet if you were to do just this alone, you would not need a chiropractor. Also, doing some yoga asana's will help too...you need to figure out which ones will benefit you the most and stick to that routine. Remember to leave your stomach half full...all the time. That is where your results will be and when you shrink it down, don't forget to keep measuring that...really try to connect and stay in tuned with that concept within your body. This is your work that only you can and must do. Good luck.

I'm really curious, what kind of food/diet do you eat on a regular basis??

P.S. Don't quit the chiropractor...I just mean that in relative terms only...it is possible, but it sounds like you need that right now. I wanted to clarify that,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-01-10 12:57 PM
musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-10 6:17 PM (#40644 - in reply to #40607)

Hi Cyndi, thanks for your reply.

I've had this problem for over 5 years, so I quit all the trigger foods and have been on a bland, home-made diet for a while now.

When I felt better after the chiropractor, I just felt that I could eat more, so I ate more of the same healthy food.

Another thing is that I'm very tall and very skinny, that's how I've always been. So for me to cut down even more on eating would make me non-existent.

To answer your question about the diet, I separate proteins from the carbs. In fact I don't eat much carbs at all. For breakfast I eat quinoa hot cereal. For lunch usually bland meat (chicken or beef) with steamed vegetables. For dinner, usually same as lunch or some yogurt with kefir. Nothing is spicy or includes anything that would trigger the reflux.

Thanks for your suggestions.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-10 11:04 PM (#40684 - in reply to #27661)
Subject: RE: Acid reflux (nauli & ayurv

Separate proteins from carb, take low carb, eat meat, etc. : No wonder you have acid reflux which is continued.

musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-11 9:37 AM (#40710 - in reply to #40684)

kulkarnn - 2006-01-10 11:04 PM

Separate proteins from carb, take low carb, eat meat, etc. : No wonder you have acid reflux which is continued.

Thanks for your reply.

So you're saying I should do the opposite of everything stated above? Please elaborate.

Separating proteins from the carbs made the biggest difference for me. Meat and vegetables give me the least amount of problems. What gives me most problems are carbs like potatoes and bread.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-11 10:41 AM (#40729 - in reply to #40710)

Expert Yogi

What is the deal with bread? It is VERY difficult for me to eat much bread these days. Yet crackers or other wheat based stuff is not a problem.... weird.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-11 4:07 PM (#40756 - in reply to #27661)

Yes. You should stop doing what you mentioned above. And, that may not be enough. I can not guide you unless I know you very well. But, stopping above will be positive.
musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-12 9:25 AM (#40796 - in reply to #40756)

kulkarnn - 2006-01-11 4:07 PM

Yes. You should stop doing what you mentioned above. And, that may not be enough. I can not guide you unless I know you very well. But, stopping above will be positive.

Could you please elaborate on why I shouldn't separate proteins from the carbs? And why I should eat more carbs? Some of the foods that give me the most amount of problems are potatoes, rice and bread. Thanks.
musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-12 9:27 AM (#40797 - in reply to #40729)

tourist - 2006-01-11 10:41 AM

What is the deal with bread? It is VERY difficult for me to eat much bread these days. Yet crackers or other wheat based stuff is not a problem.... weird.

Hi tourist, I remember you were the first one replying to my post.

For me it's pretty much any type of complex carbs, like rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, and most type of grains. The only grains that don't give me that much problems are quinoa and buckwheat.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-12 10:50 AM (#40810 - in reply to #40797)

Expert Yogi

Stan - it is an interesting thing, isn't it? I find anything "heavy" and dense is hard for me. Meat is one of those. I think bread is harder because a couple of slices is a rather big dose compared to a few crackers, but that is just my own theory for myself. Rice is fine if I have a bit of sushi but not if I eat a typical serving of rice by itself. The seaweed, vinegar and other components of sushi probably help as well. I would hate to have to start separating and timing my eatng more than I already do. The number one thing for me to remember is volume. If I eat too much, it doesn't really matter what it is, it is not good for the tummy. And the time of day is important. Big dinners are a no-no. I try to get my family to have a family brunch instead so I can enjoy eating with them
musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-20 10:35 AM (#41510 - in reply to #40810)

Well I just had my endoscopy and the verdict is "mild gastritis". But to my big delight they didn't see the hiatal hernia anymore! I guess the chiropractor fixed it!

So now I just need to defeat this gastritis and things will be good again.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-20 10:43 AM (#41513 - in reply to #41510)

Expert Yogi

Well that is good news. So anything with "itis" on the end is about inflammation so you need to soothe and calm the digestive tract. In the old days they would give you a "bland" diet with lots of white foods - milk, bland puddings etc. I would suggest looking at lots of very "clean" food - things that are light and easy to digest, cooked rather than raw, not too acidy (lots of people go straight to raw salads and tons of fruit, which I think would aggravate rather than soothe) or spicy and definitley not eat large portions for awhile. Of course you need to continue a good, steady asana and pranayama practice, too Let us know how it goes!
musicfan78
Posted 2006-01-25 2:58 PM (#41887 - in reply to #41513)

tourist - 2006-01-20 10:43 AM

Well that is good news. So anything with "itis" on the end is about inflammation so you need to soothe and calm the digestive tract. In the old days they would give you a "bland" diet with lots of while foods - milk, bland puddings etc. I would suggest looking at lots of very "clean" food - things that are light and easy to digest, cooked rather than raw, not too acidy (lots of people go straight to raw salads and tons of fruit, which I think would aggravate rather than soothe) or spicy and definitley not eat large portions for awhile. Of course you need to continue a good, steady asana and pranayama practice, too Let us know how it goes!

Thank you for the great advice. I'll keep you posted on my progress!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)