YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Want to reduce Global Warming?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

qlatina
Posted 2005-07-14 4:08 PM (#27368 - in reply to #27158)
Subject: RE: Want to reduce Global Warming?

arent manual car better? the reason i went through the pain of buying one and learning how to drive it was b/c i was lead to believe that they need less gas and pollute the air less. .....also they go alot faster quicker but thats a different subject all together :-

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-07-14 5:58 PM (#27374 - in reply to #27158)

Some get better mileage and some don't. As a rule, they usually do. Depends on whether the manufacturer has overdrive built in. Our Scion xB (manual) gets the same mileage as the automatic version, because the automatic has overdrive built in and the manual does not - once it gets up into 5th it just stays there. So for that model, it gets about 31mpg city, 35 highway in both manual and automatic. With a 1.5 liter engine it's not going to go very fast regardless! But it's cheap and cute so we've forgiven its lack of awesome power.
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-07-14 10:59 PM (#27400 - in reply to #27158)

I just need to throw in my 2 cents. Someone mentioned that give up their car would increase commute time because they'd either have to walk or take the bus. Then, the conversation turned to grease cars. Why don't people ride bikes anymore? If you live close to work, it's a pretty quick way to get around, gets you outside for quality alone time/people watching, and it's exercise!
tourist
Posted 2005-07-15 10:20 AM (#27420 - in reply to #27400)
Subject: RE: Want to reduce Global Warm

Expert Yogi

Good point, jbean. I know quite a few people who do commute by bike. Since I live in a mild climate that is possible. Personally I have never found a comfortable bike seat, have far too much to carry on a bike many days and I'm just too darn lazy Plus - no shower at work
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-07-15 11:11 AM (#27423 - in reply to #27158)

I live about 20 miles from work, and my husband lives 40 miles from his office. Michigan only has nice weather about 4 months out of the year, too!

Posted 2005-07-16 9:28 AM (#27461 - in reply to #27400)

Here in SAT I would be run over biking to work and would be a sweatball from the sauna like conditions here at present. No shower at work and I even sweat at work. I have thought about it many times since I do not live very far from my place of employment

Posted 2005-07-18 12:09 PM (#27554 - in reply to #27158)

lots of good stuff here.

if i took the bus, my two hours of commuting would triple. If i wrote a bike, it would take me 5 hours to get everywhere. To get to some of my classes walking, it would take a day. I just don't think it's feasable for me. this is why, since i live in an environment like this, i would prefer a greasecar. It would pollute less than my car or a bus, and the other two options (biking and walking) just aren't feasable for me (though i would do it).

My husband and i are talking about moving to an area that is more dense--basicly a city. We enjoy walking around cities and the convenience of doing so. i have a friend who lives in the city that i'm looking into, and she lives within a 5 mile radius of all 15 of her classes. She walks to each class (usually a mile between each or less). I would *love* to be able to do this. It would be my first choice (i'm not terribly fond of cycling). if the distances were greater (but not too great, as 20 mi takes me about an hour cycling), i would definately cycle as well. So, that's a big lifestyle change right there.

of course, where would my apiary go? ;)

i know people who live at Dancing Rabbit. I heard about the filming before it was finished and was very excited to hear about it. i like the show's premise a lot--and i think it's great business for the young man. congrats to him--woohoo! Anyway, it's a pretty cool place.

what else were people saying? oh yes, about hunting. ultimately, each individual has to decide what is right for them. personally, i have no trouble with a person hunting, or eating meat, or whatever else. i'm not involved in their relationship within themselves or with the divine. to me, that's between 'you and god.' but personally, i don't hunt. Also, hunting may be illegal--there are generally seasons, you have to buy permits, there are limits. if done illegally, it's called 'poaching.' in some rural areas, sustainable farmers and hunters are allowed to hunt 'as needed'--again, that depends upon the area, the law, and the qualifications of the individual who seeks to hunt this way.

i'm probably forgetting a ton of other things.
yogagirl
Posted 2005-07-18 2:23 PM (#27572 - in reply to #27158)

hurricane emily is coming to parts of TEXAS and mexico yea hopefully we get some more rain in san antonio it's pretty hot and in the northside district most of grass are brown my dad's isn't our grass is spring green ........ there's those running , biking and swimming races for people 13-and up guess what i'm in it i've been practicing i hope i do good theres alot of people who join these races wish me luck i have to go to yoga class i woke up pretty late today so i have to go to the afternoon class bye

ALYSSA

Posted 2005-07-22 7:43 AM (#27926 - in reply to #27158)
Subject: ironic

so, yesterday, as i arrived at my last class of the day at the Y, i had a small engine fire! i don't know whatthe damage is yet--could be anything from a small fix to a new engine, which would mean a new car basicly.

sadly, i don't have the storage capacity for a greasecar, which would be my preference, so it looks like i'm shopping for a hybrid (assuming i'm doing the new car thing). wow! they're pricey! at least, a little richer than my blood!

ah well. . .there you have it. i think i prefer the prius. since it's the same price as the civic hybrid, might as well go with what i prefer to look at.
tourist
Posted 2005-07-22 10:13 AM (#27936 - in reply to #27926)
Subject: RE: ironic

Expert Yogi

Oh zoebird - what a shame! I had to replace the engine on my car last summer and it was $$$ We'll keep our fingers and toes crossed for you that it isn't oo pricey!

Posted 2005-07-22 8:32 PM (#27964 - in reply to #27158)

well, the insurance company has been called in. basicly, whatever the repair costs, it will only cost me $100. so, that's not bad. If they decide that the car is totalled, then they'll give me the value for the car that i can put toward a new car.

if i have to get a new one, looks like it's going to be the prius. I've called around and found some people who actually have them 'in stock' because they are the 'basic package' or standard package, and apparently everyone wants upgrades. I am happy with the standard package. they're holding the cars for me until monday, since the insurance and the estimate haven't come back yet. i should know by then. It's nice to know, though that i could have a car soon--since there's generally a back order on hybrids.

of course, i don't really have the money for a $20K car, but since my inlaws bought my SIL and future BIL new cars (because he gave his to drug dealers to joy ride and both cars were ruined), so that they could 'pay them back at a more reasonable rate' we figured that it wouldn't be too much to ask for the same treatment--if necessary. So far though, the dealership is willing to work with us, which is pretty cool.

i am kinda hoping for my old car though, ebcause i want my next one to be a greasecar. seriously. or jusst a deisel engine so that i can make my own BioDiesel 100 and gas it up with that or BioWilly (named after willy nelson--B40 which is 40% alternative sources, 60% gasoline).
Cyndi
Posted 2005-07-23 11:44 PM (#28033 - in reply to #27964)

Expert Yogi

What I would like to know is how the insurance company got involved?? Like how did you get them to cover this type of expense...I thought insurance was for accidents? The only time I got something unusual covered was a windshield when I drove by a golf course and a ball smacked it really good causing a major crack. They came to my office and did in the parking lot - didn't charge me a dime. Had a great comprehensive policy on that vehicle.

Posted 2005-07-24 12:26 PM (#28045 - in reply to #27158)

i called the insurance company. this was a sort of 'no fault' scenario and ti's part of the reason why we have auto insurance. i've also called them in for a hit-and-run accident that happened to me, and they covered costs then.

on a good note, how's this for nuts? the total cost for repairing my car: $205.67. WOOHOO! so, the insurance company isn't going to cover any of it, since it's a cost that i can afford. no problem there.

next week, inspection, oil change, and new struts (it is a7 yr old car). That will be over $1000, but what the heck! i knew it was coming and saved up for it. My usual mechanic is so great. these guys seem pretty good too, though. ah well, i get tons of discounts from my usual guys, because we give so many referals.
tourist
Posted 2005-07-24 12:32 PM (#28047 - in reply to #28045)
Subject: RE: Want to reduce Global Warm

Expert Yogi

Oh that is GREAT news! As exciting as it is to think of getting a new car, especially if you could go a bit more "green" with it, it is nice to not have to spend all that money!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)