YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

period.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Posted 2005-07-23 10:46 AM (#27996 - in reply to #27889)
Subject: RE: period.

Quick question--I am having a killer cycle this month since not having one for 2 months--it is making up for lost time! What do ya suggest for the dull ache cramps? I have had them now for 4 days. Motrin helps, but don't want to rely on meds. Taught my class on Wednesday, fine. Have had HAs, fo course, this week. Cannot do Bikram yoga due to heat and migraines. Need some expert advice from my yogi friends----many thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-07-23 2:41 PM (#28012 - in reply to #27996)

Expert Yogi

Cheryl - we are heat/migraine/cramp twins! Except I never miss a cycle... One of the simplest poses for cramps is upavista konasana. Sit with your back against support (the wall is nice but I also like to sit on the floor in front of my couch so it just digs into the achey part) and a little height under your buttocks - one blanket max unless you need more to get your legs straight. I used to do a lot of supta baddhakonasana for cramp relief until someone told me about upavista. It is in the Iyengar menstrual practice but it just didn't occur to me how well it would work. If you have enough blankets or bolsters you can stack them up in front of you and pull them in tight to your tummy for extra support. A heating pad or hot water bottle between you and the supports is awesome. Or on your back. Sometimes I buy those heat patches that stay warm for 8 hours and they are WONDERFUL. Then when you have had enough of that go into virasana forward bend with the knees apart and lie your body on the supports so your torso is completely supported and horizontal to the floor. Ahhhhhhh Hope you feel better soon - eat chocolate

Posted 2005-07-23 5:57 PM (#28023 - in reply to #27109)

nama:

i know this may be personal, but it might be worth thinking about. could you have miscarried?

i once had a very late period (didn't think anything of it) and then had a 'raging' menstruation--only to learn that i'd miscarried. i didn't even know i was pregnant (i was only 2 weeks late, which isn't terribly weird for me).

anyway, changed my yoga practice accordingly. worth investigating, at least.

no need to answer me, btw. it is very private. it's just something out there to consider.
tourist
Posted 2005-07-23 8:47 PM (#28030 - in reply to #28023)

Expert Yogi

Oh - good point, zoebird. It is good to keep in mind if things don't normalize farily soon. But sometimes this stuff just happens. We have a friend who had horrific, out-of-cycle bleeding that took time to respond to the hormones the doctors pumped her full of. She was not the type to go the medical route at the drop of a hat so I think it was really bad. Anyway, it stopped, everything went back to normal and now she is the mom of a 2 year old Our bodies can be pretty strange sometimes...

Posted 2005-07-24 10:10 AM (#28037 - in reply to #28023)

Thanks for the info Tourist and Zoe! I know I am not pregnant or was not pregnant. I had a pelvic ultrasound to check fibroids and irregular bleeding. Everything is fine, just normal for me. I thought I might be paramenapausual.

Thanks for the great insight, I would have never thought of a miscarriage. Usually if I have a killer period, it will last about a week to 10 days . Boo, hiss. I do crave the chocolate more during the cycle than any other time. Too bad chocolate doesn't cure HA's!

Thanks my yogini friends!
tourist
Posted 2005-07-24 12:41 PM (#28049 - in reply to #28037)

Expert Yogi

You know, I read somewhere that there is a theory that says that rather than chocolate causing headaches, we actually already are about to have a headache and we crave chocolate to help us feel better! I like that theory Actually, I have never had problems with headaches related to chocolate and my grandmother always craved chocolate cake (and Pepsi, I think...) just as her migraines were ending.

As for perimenopause - bring it on! Actually, I have been in it for a good 10 years or more. Things started changing at about 35 (PMS! ) and I have had peaks and valleys, bumps and twists for awhile with the past 5 years (since yoga beign a bigger factor) being a bit more stable. I have had one 4 day period (down from the usual 7 or which was a breeze! And I keep expecting to skip one any month now. I told a new co-worker that recently and she kind of looked at me strangely so I said "I will be 50 soon, after all." She literally did a double take and said "Five - Oh?! REally?" I like her... she so has the right attitude
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-25 4:44 AM (#28073 - in reply to #28049)

I think you need to bottle that co-worker and make a mint - certainly could do with comments like that on a daily basis

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-07-25 4:45 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)