YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OBEs, Spiritual Arrogance, etc
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-06-14 7:05 PM (#25658 - in reply to #25656)
Subject: RE: OBEs, Spiritual Arrogance,

Expert Yogi

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:14 PM (#25674 - in reply to #25328)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-06-09 11:18 PM

Interesting post, Steven. As far as science goes, I know that Stephen Hawking says that the more we learn about quantum physics, the closer we get to God.

There are certain not-quite-top-rate physicists who make a living selling this kind of
metaphysical bullsh!t. While I am very sympathetic to Hawking's physical condition,
and while I respect his abilities with differential geometry, I find this assertion to be
utterly specious. Quantum mechanics has never said a thing about the Divine....
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:18 PM (#25675 - in reply to #25331)

Expert Yogi

Tsaklis - 2005-06-10 12:04 AM

I don't believe that the sliderule crowd had much choice but to move in a more spiritual direction as quantum theory began to unviel a universe so full of magic and possibility. Granted, quantum theory is just that... theory. Until they come up with a TOE it's nothing more than the universe as we understand it right now. But even still, as we begin to develop better methods of experimenting and testing the more ethereal aspects of these theories, the more magical the world appears. Time being related to speed is hard enough to get one's mind around, let alone the idea that one thing can actually be in two places at once. And yet, now we are faced with the proven reality of just such a thing. Beautiful. Amazing.

Quantum theory is only "magical" from if you don't follow the math....and nobody uses slide
rules anymore...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:22 PM (#25676 - in reply to #25446)
Subject: RE: OBEs, Spiritual Arrogance, etc

Expert Yogi

Empress Echo - 2005-06-12 1:44 AM

Wow - thanks for posting that, BG!   I think that's fascinating.  I'll have to run this over with my priest friend.  What he told me is that as long as I don't view yoga as a religious practice, I'm fine.  Really, I think this article says that as well, don't you?  It doesn't condemn yoga, only cautions about mixing it up with prayer...  I've got to print this one out.  Do you mind if I ask where you found it?

Honestly, I don't know a lot about Pope Benedict XVI, though I recently ordered a book about him.  Like many Catholics I know, I use the teachings of the Church as a guide, not a form of absolutism.  I disagree with some of the teachings - the birth control issue comes to mind - but I agree with most of it and am quite comfortable with my religious practices.  

Anyhoo, thanks for the post!

Hugs, Echo 

Hi Echo,

That came from Associated Press...it was forwarded to me by interested others...

Namaste,

BG
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:26 PM (#25677 - in reply to #25465)

Expert Yogi

belovedofthegod - 2005-06-12 11:32 AM

"What of meditation? Is not the point of many types of meditation to achieve stillness? Mental stillness, physical stillness, spiritual stillness... Stillness. Demon science tells us in that all too famous and misunderstood equation that all energy is dispersed among two opposing planes: Time and Space. The more energy we devote to one, the less energy is devoted to another. This is why we cannot exceed the speed of light. If all of our energy is devoted to moving through time (speed) we would cease to exist in space. There are countless real world experiments that verify this concept. The opposite is also true. If we were to achieve absolute stillness through time we would indeed occupy infinite space. Of course, it is impossible to achieve true stillness while we are hurtling through space on a big ball of dirt, but the closer we come to stillness in our minds the more space our mind would occupy. Perhaps what some consider OBEs are merely a process of achieving enough stillness of mind that one is able to glimpse a space beyond the norm. This would not only be theoretically possible, but would almost seem a logical conclusion from stillness achieved in certain types of meditation. Likewise, achieving greater stillness through space would allow one to occupy more time. Since time, for us, only goes from now backwards it makes perfects sense that one could occupy enough time to glance back to a point where the presence of loved ones can once again be felt."

This is pseudo-science, nothing scientific about this. Science says nothing about the relationship between mental stillness and mental spaciousness. According to modern science, mental activity is a brain process. So basically if the brain is slowed down, literally the brain gets bigger (and unless there are relativistically significant changes in speed, this change is size is basically unexistent). This is completely irrelevant to meditation unless one makes an enormous metaphysical jump.

What you say is not science. If you are going to try to explain yoga in terms of science, then at least you should use correct science.

You are making things too complicated. OBEs if they are not realy, then they are basically hallucinations. We are not trying to promote hallucinations. If they are real, then they are a travel in some other realm and proper yogis have always said that this only gets one bound to samsara with this kind of practice, it is very much a hindrance to Samadhi. It also accumulates more samksaras. If you are a materialist, you will not accept any of this, but at least do not confuse your ramblings for yoga.

I agree completely. Let's remember that science is not a sticker that you apply
to your favorite stuff whenever somebody who calls himself a scientist says something
polite about your stuff.... oy vey....
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:30 PM (#25678 - in reply to #25506)

Expert Yogi

Tsaklis - 2005-06-13 12:42 AM

Bay Guy,

That is indeed a very intersting document. I should start off by saying that I am not Catholic or Christian in any way, so I have no personal investment in how the church is portrayed. Honestly, though, I must confess that as creepy as parts of that document feel, there is more than a grain of truth in there. I have met more than a few yogis, both students and instructors, who really have no concern whatsoever for any spiritual benefit from their practice. It is purely a function of physical health. Actually, that is not accurate. It is, to some, more a function of physical appearance. Now, I will grant you that most of these were people I met in gyms so it is probably not an perfect slice of yogadom. Still, I think it is fair to say that for some yoga does become part of a "cult of the body". I cannot say that yoga promotes this, so much as it functions as a tool in much the same way that a Hindu or Buddhist might use yoga as a tool on his or her spiritual journey.

On a lighter note, there are a number of sites out there from, presumably, the far-right which detail the spiritual risks and dangers of practicing yoga. Everything from psychotic episodes to eternal ****ation seems to await those who dare to step on the mat. They can really be quite funny if you forget for a moment that these people really believe what they are saying. For whatever reason it seems the Kundalinis take the most hits from these groups. Just another example of how small-minded some people can be. It is as if the very fact that someone disagrees challenges their belief system to it's very core. Funny, I haven't heard any reports of yoga instructors lurking outside of churches trying to entice one of the brethren into a quick Vrksasana.

It's simply more evidence of what can happen when belief or group compulsion overrides
rational thought....
...reminds me of lemmings.

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-06-14 10:37 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:33 PM (#25679 - in reply to #25562)

Expert Yogi

*Fifi* - 2005-06-13 5:34 PM

I've enjoyed reading Tsaklis', Beloved's and Echo's posts on this matter. They've obviously put a lot of thought and study into their spirituality. I don't see wrong answers here, just exploration...

fifi

There are no answers in any of this.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:36 PM (#25680 - in reply to #25644)

Expert Yogi

belovedofthegod - 2005-06-14 1:47 PM

" As I said, science was a tool of the church."

Not really, the "facts" were a tool of the church. Science was mostly supressed by the church.

Also, in the east the important names in science and spiritual practices very often match. Spirituality was never against the establishment except for about four centuries.

Science, a tool of the Church???!!!! Ever hear of a guy named Galileo?
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-06-14 10:48 PM (#25683 - in reply to #25324)

BG, mi amico...!  LOL  You are definitely on a roll tonight!!! 

nuke

Is this from lack of savasana?  {SNORT!}  (Sorry, I couldn't help myself!lmao

Buona sera e molto sorrisi a te!

Echo

Edited by Empress Echo 2005-06-14 10:50 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:52 PM (#25685 - in reply to #25683)

Expert Yogi

It's my day off of practice, and I'm climbing the walls. I'll go to pranayama in a minute,
that will help.

BG
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-06-14 10:54 PM (#25688 - in reply to #25324)

Yep, breathing is good!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:59 PM (#25691 - in reply to #25688)

Expert Yogi

Pranayama is pacific.
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-06-14 11:35 PM (#25694 - in reply to #25324)

" Science, a tool of the Church???!!!! Ever hear of a guy named Galileo? "

What, you mean the guy who was forced to recant actual scientific progress or be burned at the stake because the church controlled science at that time? Of course. That makes my point.

I have always respected your posts on here BG, but everything you've put forth tonight is just opinion. Really, I've grown quite tired of going around and around. You folks can state all of the opinions you want now, I'm done with it. Enjoy the thread.
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-06-15 12:38 AM (#25698 - in reply to #25324)

I tried to edit the last paragraph of my most recent response, but evidently I just missed the thirty minute deadline. Had to walk the dogs, sorry. Anyway, that isn't how I wanted to leave this thread. I left too much unsaid.

BG,
Your comments about Stephen Hawking and his quote posted by tourist were curious to me. It implies that either you know more about quantum physics than does he, which I'm sorry I'm not buying, or that you know more about God than does he. Quite frankly, having never discussed religion with Hawking, I'm not ready to sign on to that one either.

As for this thread in general,

Let's call a spade a spade. The truth of the matter is that the better part of this thread has had nothing at all to do with OBEs, or a debate of science vs science for that matter. As much as I've wanted to believe it to be, it hasn't even been science vs opinion or even a discussion of opinions. From page one this spiralled down into a debate of science vs religion. Impossible. Science brings with it the burden of proof, and even when it does prove itself it can, and often is, dismissed by religion out of hand. Anyone who embraces science must not be embracing religion. Well, at least not the "right" religion. Some scientists are not top rate because only some of their theories fit into my particular religious view. But hey, that's the beauty of religion, isn't it? We all get to feel like we know God. Yes, even me. It's pretty obvious that any discussion here that dares to cross the line will simply be dismissed out of hand by enough people, and often enough, and with enough seeming authority, that anyone who cares to actually open a mind will not even bother. What is the point, really? Any thought that does not directly agree with my exact path is irrelevant and can be dismissed as bullsh!t. I guess I have learned a few things from this trhead. I've learned that this is definitely not the place to discuss anything not directly related to Buddhist / Hindu Philosophy or Buddhist / Hindu Religion. Oh yeah, and I've learned that a few of the people on here who's opinions I greatly respected did not merit that respect. I mistook dogma for wisdom. With that I respectfully lay down this thread. I'll not read or post in it again. There truly is no merit in it. It, more than any OBE, has simply become a distraction.

Namaste
tourist
Posted 2005-06-15 12:58 AM (#25699 - in reply to #25698)

Expert Yogi

Steven - I think there were a lot of us following this with interest who would have loved to back up your statements but just were not up to speed scientifically. It is a bit like watching two Biblical scholars arguing using scriptural quotations. Seriously interesting but waaay above my head, for sure.

The interesting thing about the Hawking quote (or paraphrase, really) is that I don't think he has ever said science is capable of proving the existence of God (yet) but that the investigation seems to be leading in that direction. Or perhaps his meaning was that the beauty of the universe the science is attempting to study leads him to believe that God must exist. I just know that from the point of view of a liberal thinking, non-religiously attached seeker such as myself, it is all fascinating. Thanks for hanging in there - I feel reassured that there are people out there thinking about and debating these issues.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-15 7:37 AM (#25716 - in reply to #25699)

Expert Yogi

Pseudoscience is too often used as a gloss to support spirituality...
tourist
Posted 2005-06-15 10:22 AM (#25737 - in reply to #25716)

Expert Yogi

Pseudo-everything is often used to support pseudo-spirituality...

Which is why we have chakra balancing t-shirts and swim-with-dolphins tours.
belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-06-15 11:00 AM (#25743 - in reply to #25656)

Hi Tsaklis,

"Cramer's claim that Ashfar invalidated Copenhagen and / or Many Worlds is not accepted much of anywhere save for those who lean toward TI in the first place."

Cramer was not at all the first to make such a claim and in fact its not only the TIists that accept such a thing. Quite a few CI proponents have also been convinced of this. Remember, I did say it is "possible" that these are invalidated by the Ashfar experiment - my point is that there is contention. The CI is not nearly universally accepted.

Regarding Ashfar's comment, he was partly being modest in part and more importantly, his point is that the numbers aren't changed. Interpretation is something else. Also, often he has said that the experiment has far reaching implications to QM and so on.

"Now, is there a point to quizzing me, or can you just set it aside? When you break it all the way out to a debate between Copenhagen and TI it truly does become philosophy and not science."

The problem is you are passing the CI to be pure science when this is something that the majority of scientists (or at least close to that many) do not agree with. If there is anything interesting to say about Quantum Mechanics for normal people, it has to be interpreted. As soon as it is interpreted, that is philosophy. So what you brought forward is a philosophical view based on the CI. If one doesn't accept the CI, one does not accept reality is nothing other than blanks the brain fills up. If one doesn't accept the CI, the chess piece analogy surely doesn't work.

As I said, your position is not science.

In any case, you agree that OBEs are a distraction to yoga. This is actually all that was being said in the other thread; the "spiritual arrogance" is none other than this. If one wants to practice yoga in a proper sense, then OBEs are harmful to practice.

People don't boycott things unless they are deeply effected by it; please relax, its just a discussion,

Regards.
Thushara
Posted 2005-06-15 11:30 PM (#25783 - in reply to #25699)

tourist - 2005-06-15 11:58 AM

Steven - I think there were a lot of us following this with interest who would have loved to back up your statements but just were not up to speed scientifically. It is a bit like watching two Biblical scholars arguing using scriptural quotations. Seriously interesting but waaay above my head, for sure.

Yeah you said it best tourist.. I was really enjoying this conversation and thought to back up his point of view., but I had no much time and knowledge to explain it clearer like he does., But Great discussion Steven.. I like everything what you said.. I need more time to go through this carefully when I have time.. I love this topic., and everything what everybody said in this thread., I have taken few print outs.. I will go through this later when I have time.

Edited by Thushara 2005-06-15 11:31 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-16 8:52 AM (#25799 - in reply to #25783)

Expert Yogi

As you reread it, Thushara, keep in mind that a number of the above extrapolations
from "quantum physics" are being done at the dorm-room level...

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-06-16 9:04 AM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-16 9:08 AM (#25803 - in reply to #25694)

Expert Yogi

Tsaklis - 2005-06-14 11:35 PM

" Science, a tool of the Church???!!!! Ever hear of a guy named Galileo? "

What, you mean the guy who was forced to recant actual scientific progress or be burned at the stake because the church controlled science at that time? Of course. That makes my point.

I have always respected your posts on here BG, but everything you've put forth tonight is just opinion. Really, I've grown quite tired of going around and around. You folks can state all of the opinions you want now, I'm done with it. Enjoy the thread.

No, it actually contradicts your point. The church didn't "control" science...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)