YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Standing Pilates
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-08 10:24 PM (#25262)
Subject: Standing Pilates

Has anyone here ever done any "Standing Pilates"? I just got the book from the Physicalmind Institute, written by Joan Briebart. So far the fundamental info is just fabulous, more in depth than any other texts I've read so far.

However, some of the instructions for the actual exercises are a bit confusing, and they don't have enough pictures to illustrate the full movements. Is there anyone out there who understands the standing versions of the exercises pretty well? I've just started, but I'm already having trouble comprehending the Level I version of the standing Single Leg Circles. If anyone can help please let me know!

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaChick
Posted 2005-06-15 10:02 AM (#25731 - in reply to #25262)
Subject: RE: Standing Pilates

I don't have any "formal" training in the standing series. I have improvised some standing sequences in my classes, drawing on my dance experience and remembering some of the standing floor and barre work we used to do. It was fun to change up the routine a little!

The New York City Ballet workout videos have some things you can probably incorporate into your routine.

Also, you may find someone at www.pilatesconnections.com who has some experience in the standing Pilates sequences.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-15 4:40 PM (#25770 - in reply to #25262)
Subject: RE: Standing Pilates

Thank you for responding! I did check on Pilates Connections and happened upon someone who is certified in the standing series. I felt a little better that she didn't understand the way the book described the standing Single Leg Circles either!

It's terrible to admit, but I have been teaching Pilates for months now and I have absolutely no certification in it. The YMCA asked me to give it a try, they were desperate for a teacher and I needed the money so I did! All the experience with yoga & alignment gave me a bit of a leg up, but I've been studying my brains out (and working my core like crazy) trying to learn more.

At the YMCA most people have never tried it before, so at least I know a slight bit more than them. But now, I've been farmed out to work in other locations where the students have more experience than I do! So, I'm trying to find some fun new variations to keep them interested and working in new ways. I'm working on standing exercises, props, even throwing a yoga pose in there now and then. I'll let you know how it goes - either they'll be intrigued, or in a few weeks the class will be empty!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)