YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

me and my bad habits
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-03 7:07 PM (#25029)
Subject: me and my bad habits

Well, I'm into the last wind-down of my office schedule, transitioning into my teaching/health center schedule. They've asked me to work even more hours at a little fitness center within a Kelloggs office building (yes, the cereal company). I'm finding that all the rotten habits I've developed over 10 years of being a desk jockey have no place in this world! The day-long snacking, regular caffiene power-ups, and heaven help me - occasional hangovers are not going to work anymore! I could drag my sorry butt through any boring office day, but these folks need me on my game!

The great news (or should I say, Grrrrreat!) is that Kelloggs is on a big health kick with their employees and they have the most glorious cafeteria. In only 2 workdays I've managed to have wonderful freshly made spinach dishes, squash, tortellini soup, etc. Oh my!

This is so exciting . . . and is making me all the more cognizant of how my habits affect my performance. It sure is different to have a job that you actually care about doing well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-03 7:10 PM (#25030 - in reply to #25029)
Subject: RE: me and my bad habits

Another cool thing . . . Kelloggs owns Morningstar Farms, so if you don't like the daily selection you can always fall back on a black bean burger or a "griller."

This is a big change from having a job with just vending machine chips and questionable-looking sandwiches.
tourist
Posted 2005-06-03 11:32 PM (#25036 - in reply to #25030)

Expert Yogi

That is ggggggreat, Jean! Kellog was originally a "health" company so it is good to hear they are back on that track. How many classes do you teach there?

Posted 2005-06-04 8:43 AM (#25040 - in reply to #25030)

Sounds like the perfect job, Jean! Not as much stress?? I think we all need a piece of that cake!

Congrats!
Namaste2
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-04 11:46 AM (#25051 - in reply to #25029)

The fitness centers at Kelloggs are staffed by the YMCA, so I actually report to them. The job involves 2-3 classes each day (4 days/week), mostly yoga with some Pilates thrown in. I'll be teaching at 2 Kelloggs locations, the YMCA, and at the Federal Center (government offices!). The rest of the time I'll be working with a group of retirees who like to come in to one of the Kelloggs sites, designing fun programs for them and making sure they have a good time staying active.

Kelloggs really seems to get involved with these programs - aside from paying the YMCA to take care of the place, they donate event t-shirts and other goodies, free snacks, etc. I think I'm really going to like this!

Sure does make it harder to justify doing a drive-thru meal cuz I'm so rushed and stressed. Even if I do get rushed, I can't get bogged down with the crappy food I've been eating and still teach well and be upbeat. Wow, I thought I was already pretty self-aware. This last week has been eye-opening!
tourist
Posted 2005-06-04 5:12 PM (#25071 - in reply to #25051)

Expert Yogi

Wow! Great gig, kiddo! I hope you are being well paid and remember the eating well is just one part - you HAVE to make time to practice for yourself or your body will rebel, your mind will be exhausted and your teaching will get stale. And have fun!!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-05 6:53 AM (#25079 - in reply to #25029)

Actually, the pay kinda sucks, but the experience is priceless! So is getting away from the drudgery of the cubicle.

I have noticed that in addition to being more careful about nutrition, I'm also finding myself practicing more challenging poses in my own practice. I see how the students strive to become better with each class and it really helps keep me motivated! I'm a lazy person (very strong kapha) and on my own I tend to gravitate to the same poses that I like.

Another nice thing is that these Kellogg health centers are mainly empty in the early afternoon, I guess people have to work sometimes! That will give me the chance to practice some new things there as well, using all the same props that the students have.
tourist
Posted 2005-06-05 12:08 PM (#25091 - in reply to #25079)

Expert Yogi

Well Jean, that is how BKS started - no pay and having to work hard at his practice to stay ahead of his few students. So you are in good company Take care and don't push yourself too hard. And beware the "honeymoon syndrome" and be prepared for a let-down phase after a bit. I had a day or so of that last week when the first rush (and jet lag) of my trip wore off. Funny how we forget but it happens all the time!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)