YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

please be my web md
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-05-30 3:47 AM (#24778)
Subject: please be my web md

well, i am ready to confess!

stick with me as i still dont know what the problem really is, so i am hoping to post what i know and get you to ask me questions to help me do a little diagnosis....

in japan, there are no gps....you go to the skin doctor, the ladies clinic, the ent....to save time and money, if you know what doctor to go to - you just go there, no referral necessary. or you go to the university hospital which operates the same hours as my classes.....no, i cant take a holiday from school - it is not an option unless i am dead or almost dead....i am trying to figure out what to do, what not to do, who to see and how to fix me!

about three weeks ago, my right hand/wrist/forearm began to ache. at first, i thought nothing of it - maybe i slept on it funny

then it started to hurt more and more. i want to describe the feeling the best way i can but i am far from articulate and still havent finished the colouring book!!!

basically:

wrist adduction/abduction - no pain
flex/ extend - no pain but i sometimes hear a little crack
i notice it the day after teaching (i have a lot of new students these days so i have been demo-ing sun salutations a lot) but i dont think that should make a difference.

when i feel pain: anuloma viloma. (vishnu mudra) if i press my ring finger straight with my left hand i feel a pain that runs about 5-10 centimetres up my right forearm.
now if i press down gently on my middle finger of my right hand - that pain extends half way up my forearm.

immediate shooting pain if i press on m fingers.
ache type pain the day after practice.

needless to say - i dont know what it is or what to do.

things to consider:

i am right handed.
i am studying japanese and spend ten hours a day writing kanji (chinese characters) (often repetitively, as it is the only way to learn them....sigh) .

for the past year, i have taken a completely different approach to my practice - that is - alignment is the MOST important thing (after breathing ).

for the better part of ten years i went about things with no concern whatsoever (or very little) towards the intricacies of the toes, fingers, thighs, wrists, ...you get the idea. now it is what i am thinking about most of the time when i am in awareness.

i have read heaps on wrists and i wonder if this is a yoga related injury or a kanji writing related injury . can you get a kanji injury

i just took two weeks off of my own practice other than demos in classes and my vinyasa saturday class where i do the whole routine with my students.

i am not a happy camper to have had two weeks off. let me tell you! i did some pilates but my mind went down the road that if i kept up the practice and injured it more then...i wouldnt be able to teach.

what to do? please fire away with the questions.

where is my teacher? well, in india of course! i finally (YEAY!) found this nice little old lady to teach me iyengar style - but i cant start until the semester finishes and i come back from vipassana.

in the meantime, you are all i have, dear friends...be gentle, i am feeling fragile as it is
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-30 10:16 AM (#24791 - in reply to #24778)
Subject: RE: please be my web md

Could it be carpal tunnel? I don't know a ton about it, but all that writing could have slowly built up to a repetitive stress injury. Or tendonitis? Do they have such a thing as a "tendon doctor" within all those specialities? Have you tried doing some of your favorite poses with a wrist brace? What about limiting it for a while to just standing poses and belly-down poses without using your arms to support? How does it feel when you do your usual practice with the aid of holding onto a folded towel?

I would suggest keeping with your practice, but limit the asana portion to poses that don't hurt until you get the opportunity to speak with a doctor or your teacher. No sense in injuring yourself further! Take a break from the Kanji, too, if you can. Sometimes rest is the best!

Do not worry - you are wise and you have the ability to understand what your body is trying to tell you. Don't get carried away in thoughts of what this might mean for the future. This is a chance to hone your "non-attachment" practice and focus on the present moment.
leela
Posted 2005-05-30 7:48 PM (#24826 - in reply to #24778)

it sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome..
do you experience pain and numbness when you put the back of your hands together--fingers pointing down?

Posted 2005-06-02 9:56 PM (#24946 - in reply to #24778)

Hey Eastern-

Can you see a Neurologist if you think it is carpal tunnel? My Dad saw a Neurologist for his carpal tunnel and treated it. His was very severe and required surgery on both hands. He is a retired OB/GYN-surgeon so he had to retire- to painful for him to operate and perform pap smears etc.

Don't know if that will help you. I know they will be at the University, but your schedule is busy. I know that they are the ones that can help you. Sounds like that is what it is with all of the writing and pc typing you are doing. Yoga helps to an extent, but I would seek a medical opinion just to be on the safe side.

I hope this has helped some. If not just let us know what we can do to help you.

Namaste2
tourist
Posted 2005-06-02 11:10 PM (#24954 - in reply to #24778)

Expert Yogi

Kira - my guess is that it is a writing injury. It seems like that is the most obvious thing. I don't know much about carpal tunnel syndrome but I do know that they (the "experts") are finding that a lot of wrist problems, including CT, are actually shoulder related. So to take some of the pressure off your wrist and move toward shoulder work might be a good plan.

I did have a problem with my left (non-dominant) wrist once years ago. I was doing a lot of data entry and had a longish drive to work (30 - 35 min. is long to me!). I assumed the worst and was quite worried about surgery etc. But even though I was not yet a practicing yogi, I have always been aware of ergonomics and I did a little research on myself. It turns out I was driving with my left elbow on the arm rest of my old rust bucket car so it was vibrating a lot over the course of the day. Adding data entry (and as you see from my posts, I am an untrained keyboarder...) just made the whole thing flare up. Experimenting, I found I could either drive that way or type, but not both!

Hope you get some help and some rest. Sounds like you need it!
easternsun
Posted 2005-06-03 9:20 AM (#24981 - in reply to #24778)

thanks for all those who responded.

i will have it looked at by a doctor once the semester is over. i promise. i have a funny feeling that as school ends, the pain will too.

i have been told a million times that i dont hold my pencil correctly. it is difficult for me to change. i hold it "the correct way" for two of three characters and without even noticing i slip back to "my correct way".

i already feel sorry for my unborn children. what was i thinking marrying a japanese man why didnt i marry a spaniard? at least then we could have siesta everyday and they would not have to spend their entire childhood trying to learn to write!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)