YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Menstruation Poll - trying this again! ;)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Menstruation Poll - trying this again! ;)
OptionResults
No yoga whatsoever during the entire period.2 Votes - [6.25%]
No yoga the first day or two, then limited practice.4 Votes - [12.5%]
Limited practice during the entire period.6 Votes - [18.75%]
Limited practice the first day or two, then your usual practice.10 Votes - [31.25%]
Your usual practice during the entire period.10 Votes - [31.25%]

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-29 9:16 PM (#24760)
Subject: Menstruation Poll - trying this again! ;)

Alright ladies, I've read just so much about what to do and what not to do during one's menstrual cycle that I've come to the conclusion that... there is no conclusion! Everybody seems to say something different - 'do no inversions' is about the only consistent thing I've found, though different articles & books even disagree over what an 'inversion' actually is (ie, is relaxed forward bend as much of a no-no as a headstand?) Some say no twists, some say no backbends - others say backbends are benficial, and still others say do what you feel up to, since some women have low energy during menses and yet others feel normal or have high energy - grrr! - what's a gal to do? shrug

So I'm asking you, who (in light of my current social anxiety issues) are my yoga community: what do you do personally? (I'm not including an "add your own" option, but please feel free to add comments, of course!)

Hugs,

Echo
PS - Hopefully I've worked the bugs out & will be able to do the poll a little better this time - please excuse my brain damage with my first attempt at a poll!

Edited by Empress Echo 2005-05-29 9:19 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-29 10:00 PM (#24769 - in reply to #24760)
Subject: NEW POLL!!! :D

Come one, come all!

Namaste!
Echo

easternsun
Posted 2005-05-30 3:07 AM (#24776 - in reply to #24760)
Subject: RE: Menstruation Poll - trying

ok, here is my system (but there is no correct answer)

first day - nothing
rest of the week - no inversions , lots of stuff with abs because it helps with my cramps, extended supta baddha konasana with blocks under my knees and extra long savasana.

but that is just me.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-30 11:47 AM (#24804 - in reply to #24776)

Expert Yogi

Okay, what happened to my post?? It's gone and disappeared. What did I do this time to deserve that, I was very nice, I didn't say anything bad... no fair, EasternSun gets to post and I don't....I get it now... this is Blogging. Thanks Thushara, see what you did...they Blogged me first You were right
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-30 12:08 PM (#24805 - in reply to #24760)
Subject: RE: Menstruation Poll - trying this again! ;)

LOL - Sorry, Cyndi!  Bruce axed the old poll because I'd asked him to after I screwed it up, but I did read your post last night - I'm sorry it went away!  And I know it was long so you probably don't want to re-type all that, but I do value your words!

Hugs!
Echo
tourist
Posted 2005-05-31 12:01 AM (#24830 - in reply to #24805)

Expert Yogi

Hi Echo - well, I think you know I follow Geeta Iyengar's recommendations for menstruation, which are: no inversions, very few twists, only selected supported backbends and many abdominal resting poses and supported forward bends. First, I want to make a distinction between a limited or restricted practice and a specialized practice. The moment we label something as limited, we feel like we are missing something we want or need. In a specialized practice, we are not limited or restricted, but doing the BEST practice for the situation we are in at the moment.

The reason I feel that the menstrual practices laid out by Geeta are probably the best is because she is a) female, and has direct experience b) she is 60 years old and has been studying with BKS most of her life so is in a unique position to judge the effects of yoga practice on a female body and c) because she has seen thousands of women from all over the world and has been able to observe and work with them through all the stages of life. She is also an Ayurvedic doctor, which gives her access to understanding the body through that discipline.

Anyway, if a yogini is healthy as a horse, never has a moment of trouble with her absolutely regular and unremarkable menstruation, she can probably go ahead and do whatever she likes. That is her choice. But if there are ANY problems of any kind, I would heartily recommend listening to the voice of experience and knowledge we have in Geeta. Just my humble opinion, of course. But you DID ask!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-06-01 11:03 AM (#24883 - in reply to #24760)

I pretty much take the first day off as I am usually not in a good mood and will start crying in the middle of class because "I suck at yoga"...however, by day two I am feeling better and will attempt a restorative or gentle class. After that I am usually back to normal, but will give myself permission to skip a vinyasa or two, just because I "work so hard and deserve a break"....at least that is what is going through my mind.

That's what's working for me at this point. When I first started yoga, I practiced during my period. But since I've since increased the number of times a week I practice, I don't feel like I am missing out when I skip out or take it easy during my lady holidays.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-06-01 11:27 AM (#24885 - in reply to #24760)

"Lady holidays" - I like that!

You know I just realised I didn't post what I do!  LOL  (I do have these fleeting moments of brain damage...)

Basically I've been experimenting, since I'm rather new to yoga - or at least new to power yoga and practicing on a daily basis.  I've wound up either doing nothing or very little the first couple of days, and then back to my usual practice.  My periods tend to be pretty regular and "run-of-the-mill", and I know some women have it pretty tough on those days, so I know we can't judge us all by the same yardstick, so to speak.

Glenda, you make a good point about "limited" - you're absolutely right, and that's not a very good label, is it?!  I like "specialized" much better!    It's much more appropriate to this situation.

Thank you all so much for participating, and I hope those who haven't yet will jump on in!

Hugs,

Echo

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-01 5:43 PM (#24893 - in reply to #24760)

Unfortunately they don't let me out of teaching because of my period! I find those classes are more *specialized* mainly because I'm just DOG TIRED, especially on my first day. But, just when I find myself about to apologize for leading such a lame class, someone always seems to come up and say "Thank you, that was so relaxing - just what I needed today!"

Before getting the endometriosis under control, I was laid up for like 2 weeks out of the month (or more). Sometimes I'd have just a few days of feeling normal. But now, it's just one bad day. There are other crabby, crampy days sometimes, but on all but that one day, yoga makes me feel better instead of worse!
CGG
Posted 2005-06-02 2:13 PM (#24922 - in reply to #24760)

I skip Power Yoga and vinyasa classes. I also don't invert. Otherwise I play it by ear. Sometimes an intense class or practice really helps me work the cramps out, but mostly I just want something more gentle.

This past month was a doozy for some reason. I was literally out of service for 6 days. I even left my usual Monday evening class early due to feeling so absolutely crappy. Last night I returned to Power Yoga and it felt great. I'm looking forward to getting back to my regular routine.
tourist
Posted 2005-06-02 7:29 PM (#24935 - in reply to #24922)

Expert Yogi

I often find the months around a solstice more painful (which should make this month a biggie!) but that could be my imagination...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-02 9:16 PM (#24941 - in reply to #24935)

Expert Yogi

Oh yea, and the full moon which is so full of the emotional stuff and dreams to go with it too!! One of my Native American Indian friends told me the Native Indians didn't like for women to be included in their puja ceremonies when they were *on their moon*. My husband says its the same in his culture about women in the temples....although, no one cares about that anymore and Sai Baba says not to worry about it, so I don't worry about it.

But, I will say, my energy is totally different and my senses are so much more keen and alert during these times. I usually try to close one eye to keep myself from going nuts. Needless to say, some kind of yoga is necessary to keep you centered. I like plain ole' empty the mind sitting meditation during this time the best!!

Posted 2005-06-02 9:46 PM (#24945 - in reply to #24922)

I am so glad that is thread was brought up. My periods are so irregular on the pill and regular off the pill. I will have a heavier flow one month and a light flow the next. I am on the lowest dose of hormones due to migrianes, etc...go figure. I ask my Dad and he says that's just the way it is...thanks for the info. Boo hiss. Glad other women have the same symptoms as I do. I practice the same, just no major inversions.

Ok ya'll, want to slap a yogini around. I am getting a mammogram tomorrow. Guess how long it has been since I have had one...I just turned 44 on Tuesday. I had the last one done as a guinea pig in my dad's office 18 years ago. For shame, bad yogini! I go yearly for the pap..good yogini. Wish me luck ya'll. Thanks Cyndi and Echo for the thread.

Namaste2 begs for your forgiveness
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-02 10:27 PM (#24950 - in reply to #24945)

Expert Yogi

Well, if it makes you feel better...I haven't done either a pap or mammogram in many, many years!! The one and only time I had a mammogram I thought I would die of pain. I could not believe how they squished my tit in that plastic machine thingy...it was so ridiculous.

I rely on alternative measures these days and am very happy with my results.

A long time ago before Eastern medicine, I had endometriosis. I did the birth control thing and felt like crap all the time. I did not know Chinese Medicine or Yoga back then. My (really rare)obgyn doctor did this incredible laser surgery for me (1989), which I used to have on vhs, and he is one of the founders for the surgery procedure for endometriosis and teaches doctors all over the world how to do this surgery. I guess I was lucky because I do not have a scar, it was almost painless, I had a gifted doctor that barely exists these days and I never had a reoccuring problem. I KNOW my endometriosis came from my stressful lifestyle, being in horrible emotional relationships, and basically NOT knowing how to take care of my body or my mind. I feel very good about myself these days and I feel good about the alternative choices, and the resposibility I have made for myself. I'm happy that I had the doctor who helped me and gave me a second chance, however, I am equally as happy that I found Chinese Medicine and Yoga because I really like natural and I like being healthy. I also like the fact that I have the means and resources to heal my own body which is the most important factor of all. So, don't say your a bad Yogini. Now days, It feels so good to NOT live from a place of fear of having to run to a machine or a western doctor (that only spends 5 mins. with me after making me wait 30 mins. over my appt. time - my wonderful obgyn/surgery doctor above mentioned is retired and doesn't do office visits anymore) to tell me what is wrong with me, then only to tell me that surgery is going to be $25,000 for outpatient surgery...yea right!
easternsun
Posted 2005-06-03 9:28 AM (#24982 - in reply to #24935)

tourist - 2005-06-03 8:29 AM

I often find the months around a solstice more painful (which should make this month a biggie!) but that could be my imagination...

i totally agree with this glenda - not only that but every year at this time my breasteses get HUGE...well, huge for me anyway i am up a cup size until after solstice (it happens every year). i am not complaining and neither is the mr

Posted 2005-06-04 8:54 AM (#25041 - in reply to #24935)

Tourist-What is a solstice? Never heard of that before. Please enlighten me. The mammogram was not as bad as I remember. Lots of changes in technology! Just 4 pictures and thats it!

:lol

I just looked up the meaning in the dictionary and it has to do with the suns alignment between 6-22 and 12-23? You can probably explain it better.

Edited by namaste2 2005-06-04 9:02 AM
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-06-04 9:13 AM (#25042 - in reply to #24760)

As I understand it, the summer solstice is June 21 and is the longest day of the year; the winter solstice is December 21 and is the shortest day of the year. 

Hope that helps!

tourist
Posted 2005-06-04 9:46 AM (#25044 - in reply to #25042)

Expert Yogi

Yes, that's it Echo. Funny what we remember - solstice and equinox are a couple of the probably very few things I remember quite clearly all the way from elementary school. I had the same teacher for three years - she taught a split then went up a couple of grades - and those were the things she focused on, I guess. I have clear memories of colouring in the same map of BC and another one of the Great Lakes several times Or perhaps it is because of where we live - in the Great White North. Our days are so long here right now (although nothing in comparison to the far north) it is still light at 10 pm and birds (d*mn birds!) wake up in the predawn light somewhere around 4 am, so the movement of the sun affects us a lot more than say, southern California. Summer fireworks are a big deal for little kids here because they get to stay up REAL late
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-06-05 9:49 AM (#25085 - in reply to #24760)

Oh I totally understand - I spent my childhood in Michigan's Upper Penninsula (on the shore of Lake Superior, and I know you know where the Great Lakes are - LOL! )  I remember when I was a little girl going to bed in full daylight because the sun stayed up so late in the summer time.  Then in winter we went to school in the dark & came home in the dark, which was always kind of depressing when you're a child!

Posted 2005-06-05 10:08 AM (#25086 - in reply to #24760)

Now that makes sense- I lived in Boston for a year and remember the long winter nights and in Germany where the nights are even longer. Went to Denmark for 4 days to Aalborg up on the Jutland in July and the sun comes up at 4 am and sets at 10pm. I understand the bird thing. Guess they have their own alarm clocks just like my cats- ugh!

Edited by namaste2 2005-06-05 10:09 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-06-05 12:10 PM (#25092 - in reply to #25086)

Expert Yogi

I can actually remember being in Grade One and my mother calling me and my younger brother in to bed saying "Oh my god! It's ten o'clock! You kids need to get to bed!"
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-05 1:22 PM (#25098 - in reply to #25092)

Expert Yogi

My neice has been here all week with my daughter...they are 12. I haven't slept hardly at all this week. One night it was 3:30 am and they were watching The Empire Strikes Back. All I kept hearing was r2d2 screaming...the girls were quiet and tv was really low...but that r2d2 screaming was enough for me to finally say...GO TO BED NOW!! Geez, they are worse than having little hamsters that run on the wheels all night - Nocturnal little creatures in the summertime, LOL!!

To make this subject related...one of them was on her period this week and woke up with a well, you know, it looked like an animal was slaughtered in her bed. I gave her the Yoga Book and showed her the period poses,

Edited by Cyndi 2005-06-05 1:24 PM
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-06-19 8:28 AM (#25903 - in reply to #25098)

Yesterday I found out why I've been so darn cranky all week! I did my normal Ashtanga practice in the morning and my friend showed up in the afternoon...  I will still do my normal Ashtanga practice on Teus, even if it's still here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)