YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ovarian Cyst
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

pinupyogi
Posted 2005-05-06 5:06 PM (#23667)
Subject: Ovarian Cyst

Sorry if someone has posted this before...i looked back a few pages and didn't see anything about it........

I was told last week i have an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. It's supposedly large and soft..... so i am getting a sonogram/ultrasound on monday.

My question is if any other women here have dealt with this pain/annoyance, and if there is any benefit for doing certain yoga poses to help? Or any herbs, besides dong quai?

I have read up some, and i see DQ can help, i am just curious as to any other options.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty worried......(but i am trying to stay positive and do imagery on my own to heal my body......also lots of prayer!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-06 6:28 PM (#23674 - in reply to #23667)
Subject: RE: Ovarian Cyst

When I was 23, they thought I had an ovarian cyst too. Doc scheduled a laproscopic surgery to remove it, and lo and behold! It was not a cyst at all - my ovary was so full of endometriosis that it had swelled up to the size of a softball. Yowch. Thus began a long journey with the disease, and my attempts to minimize its effects on my own.

I don't mean to scare you even more! It could be anything, and you'll just worry yourself more trying to guess. The doctors will be able to tell you more on Monday, and then you'll have the opportunity to react. Reacting ahead of time will just keep you up all weekend worrying! Yet, I know that saying "don't worry" is about the least helpful advice of all . . .

I wouldn't necessarily try any specific belly-heating or cooling poses until you know for sure what's going on. BUT, keep with your regular practice as long as it isn't painful for you. Try to find some peace in your body, to understand that the scary times are the true test for your yoga and your sense of living in the present moment, good or bad.

My own struggles with endometriosis are what led me to yoga, and it has been the most rewarding thing I can ever imagine happening. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't discovered yoga therapy and holistic medicine! The path is winding and mysterious

But for the next few days, just try to relax as best you can. If you still find yourself wide awake with worry in the middle of the night, some of us still recommend a tasty cocktail or two!

You have us praying for you too! Please let us know how things go on Monday, okay??

Jean
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-06 6:30 PM (#23675 - in reply to #23667)

Sometimes journaling helps too . . . getting all the junk out of your head and onto a piece of paper.

Know that its okay to be scared, too.
fifi!
Posted 2005-05-06 6:33 PM (#23676 - in reply to #23667)

Hi Pinupyogi,

I wouldn't recommend taking Dang Gui randomly. Get the results of your scheduled sonogram/ultrasound and find a good licensed acupuncturist (or Oriental Medicine Doctor) for proper herbal formula, not to mention for some good acupuncture, too. Please heed the advice of your MD gyn regarding treatment. Some Western treatments, especially in gynecology, are short and sweet. You don't want to play around with your body/internal organs/reproductive health. You can always supplement your health with herbs afterwards (or during).

Sincerely,

Your friendly OMD in the desert....
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-05-08 10:28 PM (#23726 - in reply to #23667)

I was diagnosed with endometriosis in 2001. If there's anything any of you would ever like to talk about regarding endo, please let me know. I've made it my mission to know everything possible about this disease.

Good luck with your tests Monday, and let us know how it goes! If they want to schedule surgery for you to see if it IS endo, let me know and I'll give you tons of pointers for preparing yourself.

pinupyogi
Posted 2005-05-10 3:06 PM (#23829 - in reply to #23667)

Hey guys, thanks for all the encouraging words.....it is good to hear.

I had some good news and some bad news after my tests on Monday.

My cyst on my ovary had ruptured, so it was gone. I had a small one on my left ovary but they said they thought it was just a follicle that is often formed when ovulating.....I don't know if i believe that since i know my body and i believe i have had cysts reoccur in the past.

Anyway, the bad news is that i have a nodule in my left breast. They aren't sure if it's cystic or benine, or what so they recommended an aspiration of the nodule to see.
After reading up on the procedure i am opting out of it. I talked to my OBGYN and told her today i would rather have the entire thing removed. At my age, if it is a cyst, aspiration won't usually last. THe cyst will re-fill and need to be removed anyway. Plus...GOd forbid- if it is something else, i need to have it removed.

BUT>>>>i am really praying and thinking of doing a heavy duty incurables program (30day detox) .......then if it doesn't take the cyst away, i would opt to have the surgical removal of it.

I am still doing my yoga and bringing it into my life everyday.......Jesus is the ultimate one who can give me my peace and relieve my worry about all this.

THanks for the encouragement---i will keep you posted.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-10 8:26 PM (#23841 - in reply to #23667)

I am so sorry! It sounds like you are very well-grounded and approaching this with an open heart, that is wonderful.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-05-12 5:00 PM (#23988 - in reply to #23667)

Hi Pinupyogi,

You are in my postive thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us informed ( if you feel comfortable doing so )~ fifi
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-13 5:00 AM (#24009 - in reply to #23829)

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like you don't know whether to laugh or cry. My thoughts are with you either way.

Fee
sandrac
Posted 2005-09-04 1:04 PM (#30957 - in reply to #23667)

Hello! I hope all went well with Pinupyogi's problems. I just had an ovarian cyst that ruptured, and am afraid that I am prone to more in the future due to very irregular hormonal cycles that I've experienced since puberty. Also, in the few days since the rupture I have been feeling really tired and cranky, and the pain hasn't gone completely (but its on its way, thankfully). I'm not sure if this is exactly the place to post this - but maybe you can point me in the direction of a better place. Where can I find information on acupuncturists/TCM in the Portland area? Does one of you happen to live in Portland and know of a good one? I've done a lot of yoga in the past, but haven't in a while. Would getting back in practice be beneficial for this? Thank you
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-09-04 3:22 PM (#30961 - in reply to #23667)

www.Acupuncturetoday.com is a good start. Also, there's Acufinder.com. Most people that come to me either do so b/c 1. I'm on their provider list 2. Word of mouth (this is usually the best for patients since someone else has gone before you and can tell you if the place is clean, expensive, weird, or whatever) 3. Yellow pages. The yellow pages is a risk b/c you don't know what you're really getting but that's where we get the majority of our new patients.

Portland has a school. The school clinic might be a good place to start. The students will probably spend a lot of time with you. And, they're supervised.

Good luck to you ~
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-04 3:52 PM (#30964 - in reply to #23667)

I've had ovarian cysts since I was 15. They are horribly painful. I've only had to have one surgically removed, thank goodness.
I also have endometriosis. I'm thinking of trying acupuncture as the pain is unbearable sometimes.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-04 7:04 PM (#30975 - in reply to #23667)

I have endo too . . . they thought it was a cyst before the first surgery, then realized there was nothing "attached" to my ovary, it was actually my ovary swelled up to the size of a softball because it was filled w/ endometriosis.

Vegan diet helped to some extent, yoga has helped to some extent, and birth control pills (Estrostep) combined with plenty of Aleve has been helpful since surgery cleared out most of the mess.

I used to avoid practice and exercise during my period because I was so tired and hurting, but my job has now made that impossible. To my surprise, I have found that I actually feel BETTER after some Pilates, step aerobics, and of course yoga on the bad days of my cycle. Diet is important too! Right before my period, I really boost up the fiber and keep the digestive system moving very briskly. Then when it starts, I move to more easily digestible foods that are comforting but not overly filling.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-04 7:32 PM (#30978 - in reply to #23667)

Thanks for the advice. I can't exercise when I ovulate or the first few days of my cycle, the pain and bloating are bad.
I've thought about going back on the pill. Maybe I'll try that.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-06 5:05 PM (#31130 - in reply to #23667)

Another question I have here is does anyone else on here experience excruciating abdominal pain every month during ovulation? I have this every single month for 2-5 days. It's horrible. I can OD on Motrin and STILL be in pain so bad I can hardly function.
Is THIS from endometriosis?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-06 5:19 PM (#31133 - in reply to #23667)

I imagine it's possible, the endometrial tissue could be wrapped around the ovary (or inside it) and/or around the fallopian tube, making ovulation a difficult process. How is the pain during the "flow" part of your cycle?

So sorry you're in pain sweetie! Unfortunately even docs have a hard time diagnosing endo. But still, have you talked to yours about this? Did she/he have any suggestions?
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-06 5:34 PM (#31136 - in reply to #23667)

I've had so much testing and so many ultrasounds. Every doc says something different. I have endometrial growth nodules palpable through my vaginal wall. I'm not sure I even want those removed. That can be dangerous with the colon and bladder in there.
My periods are awful. Not just the cramps. I have vomiting and diarrhea for two days every cycle. Thanks for your support.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-06 10:23 PM (#31150 - in reply to #31136)

Expert Yogi

Kristen,

I too had endometriosis back in 1989. I had lasery sugery and have been problem free for all these years. thanks to the Doctor that literally invented the procedure in Atlanta, Ga. He now has a teaching facility and that's all he does.

I attribute my healing to several factors. Firstly, having the laser surgery done because I was in an acute stage. I was put in the hospital several times with kidney and bladder problems due to the growth on these organs..I have a video of my procedure. It was not fun to always having these problems. Secondly, after that, I changed my lifestyle and environment. I literally walked out on a marriage that contributed to 80% of it. I learned how to meditate. But mainly, I found Traditional Chinese Medicine, Tai Chi Qi Gong and YOGA. Accupuncture is so incredible, that is the main healing method I use for everything. I have a great doctor who specializes in women's problems and I feel so fortunate and blessed to have him.

If your having those kinds of symptoms, please don't wait too long, Endometriosis is not something to fool around with. You could probably start seeing a TCMD right now and avoid the surgery. Acupuncture will open up the channels and meridian points to allow your body to heal itself, without the invasive surgery. If I had to do it all over again, I would of gotten treatments this way first and saved myself the $15,000 in outpatient surgery. I waited too long and didn't know any better. Not to mention, Acupuncture was not available or an option back then.
bluefin
Posted 2005-09-14 12:03 AM (#31783 - in reply to #23667)

well go for surgery and get it removed
my neighbour was diognised with two of them the size of oranges and she got them removed
so you also get it removed otherwise it will grow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)