YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another yoga Q&Aw/ menstration
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-27 1:08 AM (#22954)
Subject: Another yoga Q&Aw/ menstration

Reading these post's I am getting worried to do the wrong thing. I havent had "aunt flow" in years, and for the first time have it. I was wondering, what pose's ARE safe, and what ones DO help to cleanse the system? I have had a problem where my flow is so heavy that the layers push against my other internal parts where I get backaches and stomache pains, sometimes so much that I am immobile. I'm wondering, what poses are really cleansing for this? I am trying to find natural alternative's instead of modern birth control to help this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-27 11:35 AM (#22976 - in reply to #22954)
Subject: RE: Another yoga Q&Aw/ menstra

Expert Yogi

Lady Jane - are you saying you haven't had a period in years and now have one again? Is this your first one post-baby? it sounds like you need to simply rest. Savasana, supta baddhakonasana and not much else. Give me a bit more info and I can give you a better idea of what is ok to do
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-27 12:10 PM (#22978 - in reply to #22954)
Subject: RE: Another yoga Q&Aw/ menstration

I was on birth control since I was young (about 14 years) because my period was so heavey that I could barely walk from all the pressure on my back, the pain was too great. The doctor prescribed maeds so that I had my period every few months in a controlled manner. I got pregnant while on BC and so yes, this is my first one post baby. I stopped Breast feeding 3 months ago, and now my body has begun it's cycles again. The flow is heavy, but not as heavy as before when I was in great pain, so I am hoping either it will stay like this or I can find more natural ways to keep it lighter. I don't want to take these medications anymore, they feel so toxic.
Thanks for your reply.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-27 7:08 PM (#23029 - in reply to #22978)

Expert Yogi

The first one post-baby can be a killer You may find that it slacks off a little bit in the next few months but I wouldn't count on it. I know a few people who had less trouble post-baby but not many, including yours truly. A really consistent practice will help and following a good pre, during and post practice will help even more. Sorry I have to dash off but keep me informed of how you are doing. Check out all the old mense posts and let me know if you have more questions. This is a big topic!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-27 7:20 PM (#23030 - in reply to #22954)

I don't know if this will decrease or increase your flow, but it has helped me with my cramps if I stay fairly active and do a lot of belly-heating poses during the week BEFORE my period. Such as, Cobra, Locust, Bow, and Boat poses. Also Pilates is very core-heating. But, my problem is endometriosis and I take both birth control and pain meds when I need them. If not, my next trip to the doctor will involve a hysterectomy which I do NOT want. At any rate, the belly-heating that works for me may not be right for you.

I try to take it easier during my period, as should you! Spend time lying down whenever you can, put a soft warm blanket on your belly, try to relax as much as you can. Supported reclining bound-angle pose is very nice; if you use a strap it can really help take the pressure off your lower back.

How old are you LadyJane? Could your period be starting to fluctuate as it is winding down? Many women in their mid-40's will start to have real gushers every other month or so. It's not fun!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-27 7:22 PM (#23031 - in reply to #22954)

If you are not familiar with Reclining Bound Angle (Supta Baddha Konasana), here is a good representation. It will not increase your flow, and the strap will greatly relieve your back pressure.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/663_1.cfm
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-28 4:54 AM (#23054 - in reply to #23031)

I don't have personal experience on this one, but a friend with 5 daughters tells me that breast feeding had an dampening effect on her periods, reducing their flow and discomfort.

Fee
tourist
Posted 2005-04-28 10:33 AM (#23068 - in reply to #23054)

Expert Yogi

Fee - absolutely right! Breastfeeding will often reduce your period. It is one of the reasons I nursed my second a long time. Of course, it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I had a friend who was very back-to-the-earth and nursed her toddler and infant at the same time and still got her period back after three months.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-28 12:10 PM (#23077 - in reply to #23068)

Oh, everyone's different (much easier for the medics if we were, eh?). The same friend also did it as it acted as an effective contraceptive for her. As you can tell from 5 daughters from 4 pregnancies (and, yes, the twins were the last one), she fell easily otherwise

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)