YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

snowskittlez
Posted 2005-04-26 10:12 PM (#22937)
Subject: Question.

Question for all, My husband and I are looking to detox our bodies. Is that safe? Has anybody done this? Does it work? What should I do? Just need a little info, please help. I don't want to hurt my body I want to help it. If Detoxing will help I am there. Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-26 10:20 PM (#22939 - in reply to #22937)
Subject: RE: Question.

Expert Yogi

You really should have someone guiding you in a detox program. Maybe a naturopath or at least someone with a good workign knowledge of the plan to are going to do. If you have a really knowledgable health food store person they may be able to direct you to one of the pre-packaged plans. I did one a couple of years ago with the help of a naturopath and it was a pretty decent experience. I'm not keep to redo it because I hate having dietary restrictions, as Neel will attest OTOH, you could always try a simple, simple diet of clear fluids, light veggie soups and very small amounts of healthy protein for a day or two and see how that feels.
snowskittlez
Posted 2005-04-26 10:25 PM (#22941 - in reply to #22939)

Hey thanks tourist, I have never shopped at a health food store, I don't even know where to look. What exactly is a naturopath? I am new at all this. I like eating junk food but I know it is not good for me. WE are really trying to change our lives, the way we eat and the way we exersise. So any info helps. Is Detoxing safe? thanks again
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-26 10:25 PM (#22942 - in reply to #22937)

Dear Original Questioner:

Your question is wrong. Because, you are already detoxifying your body. Each moment your body is being detoxified and that is why you are alive. Detoxification is constantly occuring in each cell of your body. Now, what you mean is your detoxification is not good enough, and that is why you have some problem, whatever that problem is. This is exactly, and ONLY, you need to do:

a) Do not toxify your body more. This means cut down all junk, bad habits, excessive stress, worries, NON Vegetarian food, drinking, and such. If you have will, make these zero.

b) And, then introduce good food, rest, exercise, etc.

c) And, if you are extremely willed, perform small fast of 1 or 2 days at home many times. Or, perform an extended fast at a Fasting Retreat. NOT at home.

Best Luck
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-04-26 10:53 PM (#22952 - in reply to #22941)

Expert Yogi

Well, if you like junk food and know what non-junk food is, that is your first step! Step one of detox - zero tolerance for unhealthy food for one solid week! No burgers or pizza or chips or whatever your poison is. It is actually as simple as that. And then you move on to more fresh and less packaged food and then maybe to all organic and then - who knows? Enjoy!
Balen
Posted 2005-04-27 10:41 AM (#22969 - in reply to #22939)

tourist - 2005-04-26 10:20 PM

You really should have someone guiding you in a detox program. Maybe a naturopath or at least someone with a good workign knowledge of the plan to are going to do. If you have a really knowledgable health food store person they may be able to direct you to one of the pre-packaged plans. I did one a couple of years ago with the help of a naturopath and it was a pretty decent experience. I'm not keep to redo it because I hate having dietary restrictions, as Neel will attest OTOH, you could always try a simple, simple diet of clear fluids, light veggie soups and very small amounts of healthy protein for a day or two and see how that feels.

Tourist?

How long did this take from a toxic body to a tox free body?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-27 11:31 AM (#22973 - in reply to #22969)

Expert Yogi

I think it was a 3 week program with a lot of expensive rice protein powder and various levels of diet restrictions. I got VERY tired for awhile, which I was told to expect, but it leaves me thinking these programs are best done when one has lots of spare time to devote to a full-time internal clean up. doing it while working and keeping a life going was hard.

Posted 2005-04-27 11:35 AM (#22974 - in reply to #22969)

I have a question Angel--and I'm being sincere. Why on earth would you decide to detoxify when you don't know what it is or how to go about it? Seems to me, and again, I'm not being a smart a$$, you may as well decide one day to grow a third arm then ask how do I go about that? The concept of a toxic body seems strange to me. Living organisms have organs and processes that rid the system of waste products. There are certainly things one can do to aid the processes like keep hydrated, exercise, etc. However, I'd certainly be leery of doing a detoxification based on what strangers on an internet forum advise.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-27 1:06 PM (#22983 - in reply to #22974)

Expert Yogi

I agree with Bruce, this is NOT something you should even consider doing relating with people on the internet. Detoxing can take years, lifetimes.... not weeks!! It is also something that should be taken very moderately because of the dangers involved. About 12 years ago I met this Kineseaologist/Chiropractor/Crystal supposedly expert (sp?). She did some really funky stuff. Had me taking all these pills and I spent lots of $$. Anyway, I had severe cases of loose stools, sensitivity to chemicals...you name it - it was happening at a very fast alarming rate. Needless to say I found an authentic Chinese Doctor who got my body back in balance - the way it should be. I didn't stop everything all at once, it was very gradual. I was taking supportive herbs and Acupuncture to help my body heal naturally and slowly. It is not an overnite fix and it takes time, lots of time and patience. So, please be careful when you talk about detoxing and taking pills, it has the potential of causing you lots of problems. Find someone you can trust and someone with lots of experience and patients that are happy - lots of references. Stick with that person so you can get the results you need and don't move around too much from Doctor to Doctor as this is very harmful too.
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-27 3:31 PM (#22995 - in reply to #22937)

Thank god someone said it. My mindset this morning was such that I honestly couldn't muster a civil reply to this post. :

Posted 2005-04-27 3:36 PM (#22996 - in reply to #22995)

I'm more one for giving "toxifying" guidance vice purification. This weekend my vinyasa teacher is having her area teacher's conference and I asked her if I should bring some beer--perfectly serious--she declined the offer.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-27 7:05 PM (#23027 - in reply to #22996)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - **this Kineseaologist/Chiropractor/Crystal supposedly expert** Any time I see someone who is and "expert" in more than maybe two fields, my BS detector goes off. And if it is in areas that have no official sanctioning body, I get a little queasy. I'll bet yours does now, too! To be really good at something, you need to keep working at it and not be off specializing in a hundred other things.

Bruce - I have a teacher who has several times this year suggested that if we aren't going to listen, we might as well all go to the pub. And I have the feeling that we might actually end up doing it one night! I love doing yoga with real people...
snowskittlez
Posted 2005-04-27 9:27 PM (#23039 - in reply to #22974)

You are right, why would I take advice from people on the internet? I am not insane or anything, right now I am researching. I Don't plan on doing it right away, that is why I am asking questions and concerns. That is also why I am asking here and not on yahoo messenger or something. I thought maybe people on here would know about it and be able to give me some insight that's all. But thanks for the concern, I can see what problems that may come up. I didn't think this was going to be a question that would sound stupid. But hey we all have one of them sometimes. Any ways thanks everybody.

Edited by snowskittlez 2005-04-27 9:31 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-27 9:30 PM (#23040 - in reply to #23027)

Expert Yogi

Actually Tourist, this was one of those wierd situations. I was doing Traditional Chinese Medicine back then and met this girl through some place or someone. I was exploring the metaphysical realm if you will. Anyway, she actually was a healer and had lots and lots of good happy clients. She was very popular. I do not think for one minute that she was a fake, a bad person, or anything like that - she helped a lot of people and even my experience was a good learning one. What I do think, is that her type of healing was not for me and where I was at and moving towardds....I figured out that I outgrew this person because it became more of a spiritual matter for me and just didn't work for me and wasn't going to. I think that these kinds of people are necessary to help us learn things about ourselves and I think these types of people are necessary for people who do not take time to explore their bodies and heal themselves. I am of the school of healing my own self and using natural methods of healing so that my body will heal itself, IF I can't. In today's world it is very hard being a Yogi and dealing with so many different aspects of life and the world - there is way too much information out there and its complicated. But, the good news is that I found what I was looking for, no harm was done and its okay. This is how we learn. I would much rather go through a person like the one mentioned above than deal with the hands of Western Medicine that does not give you a choice and does not allow the human body to heal itself. Medical Doctors do not impress me with their pads and pens writing script after script knowing very little about the person they are writing the script for. Not to mention the time they spend with a patient is very disturbing to me. This country and the world for that matter is in for a very rude awakening very soon when it comes to health issues..in fact, it is already happening now. So many people are returning back to natural methods.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-02 1:59 PM (#23286 - in reply to #23039)

Expert Yogi

snowskittlez - 2005-04-27 9:27 PM

You are right, why would I take advice from people on the internet? I am not insane or anything, right now I am researching. I Don't plan on doing it right away, that is why I am asking questions and concerns. That is also why I am asking here and not on yahoo messenger or something. I thought maybe people on here would know about it and be able to give me some insight that's all. But thanks for the concern, I can see what problems that may come up. I didn't think this was going to be a question that would sound stupid. But hey we all have one of them sometimes. Any ways thanks everybody.

Snowskittlez,

I didn't see your post until now. What I would like to say to you is that your question is not a stupid one at all! I think you are very smart to ask questions and see what other's have experienced relating to your question. I do think however that everyone has a different experience related to their own personal issues and karmas. You have to be the final judge of what it is that your seeking and then you have to deal with the changes you may have to experience. I cannot stress enough that having a positive attitude and trust in what you are doing, is the most important factor in healing your body. Negativity in any form can cause you major setbacks in your healing process. This includes attitudes such as self-doubt and uncertainty in your Doctor or Healing Method of choice. My belief is that the mind is the best healer of all and the rest are just healing aids when our minds are simply in maximum overload and unable to do its job. I wish you the best of luck with your process whatever you choose to do.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)