YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neti pot problems!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-18 1:38 PM (#22282)
Subject: Neti pot problems!

Hello everyone and Namaste! I'm new here on the boards, and i have a question dealing with my new Neti Pot.

I started using the neti pot earlier last week, Everything has seemingly gone fine, no problems...and i feel i followed the directions to a "T". I don't know why now, a few days later i've developed a problem!

I have bad pain in my right ear when i use the neti pot. ONLY when i use the neti pot inserted in my left nostril, so it's draining out my right nostril. That is when my right ear has pain. It hurts for a few moments after i have finished using it, and then it's pretty much gone! I can't figure it out, and it hurts bad so i have not used it today, for fear i am harming myself somehow. I just don't know what to do ! Please help, or offer advice. I called a NETI POT place, and asked advice and they said they think i had a blockage that using the neti washed out and revealed an ear infection or something. I am unsure if this is true only because i feel fine unless i use the neti pot! Weird eh?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-18 1:39 PM (#22283 - in reply to #22282)
Subject: RE: Neti pot problems!

PS...

I used 1 teaspoon of non iodized kosher coarse salt. (Followed the directions....)
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-18 6:23 PM (#22314 - in reply to #22282)

Dear PinupYogi:
I am glad that you asked this question. While doing anything in Yoga, no severe pain should come. So, you must stop the way you are doing it. You must find another way to do it or learn it from an experienced person.

Best Luck.
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-04-18 6:39 PM (#22319 - in reply to #22314)

I KNEW nothing but evil could come from a netti pot.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-18 8:45 PM (#22329 - in reply to #22319)

Expert Yogi

It may be that you are straining your neck on that side from twisting the
head forcibly, or you may be causing a pressure difference in your ear
somehow (e.g., by sucking in your breath or something...you know what
I mean, like the kind of pressure you feel when an airplane lands and you
need to yawn?). The fact that the pain vanishes when you quit using the
neti pot suggests that it is not some infection or other problem.

Try just twisting your head as if you were doing neti, breathing through
your mouth, and see if the pain comes without the water.
redtail
Posted 2005-04-20 5:58 AM (#22412 - in reply to #22282)

Along with Bay Guys suggestions, I would also recommend trying it without the salt or, at least, reducing the amount of salt to a pinch only. Neel Kulkarni is also correct to advise that it shouldn't hurt (just like doing yoga!)

Namaste
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 11:56 AM (#22443 - in reply to #22282)

Thanks for you thoughts everyone.

I stopped using my neti pot for now, and i did some ear candling to see if that would help. I have no pain as of now, unless i were to use the neti pot i'm sure. It is so strange!

I tried what you suggested, BAY--- and i didn't have any pain. It remains specifically when i USE the neti pot.

I dunno........it's discouraging. I really wanted to use it everyday. Dunno if i am meant to.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-20 9:51 PM (#22478 - in reply to #22443)

Expert Yogi

Another thought is that the water may not flow freely on one side,
because of some blockage, so that when you try to pour it through
it just builds up gas pressure on one side. That could hurt....

Are you at all blocked up on one side, eg, in the high sinuses?
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-21 9:08 AM (#22506 - in reply to #22282)

i am not sure! i don't feel like i am........

I have always had sinus problems, and sinus draining problems that is why i thought the neti pot would be a great investment of my time.

I dunno, maybe i do feel a bit more blocked on one side, but it's def. not all the time....i think it could be do to some sort of blockage.

I wonder if i will get a good effect if i just neti on one side?

Posted 2005-04-21 10:19 AM (#22527 - in reply to #22506)

Geneva just made neti a verb--atta girl!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 10:43 AM (#22534 - in reply to #22282)

It wasn't a verb before? I've been neti-ing for years!

Until February when I was neti-ing without my glasses or contacts. Went to shake out my white ceramic pot in my white ceramic sink, and CRASH!!

I will have to order one of the bright blue nonbreakable ones I guess. For the grace-impaired netiers (neti-ites? neti-yetis?).

Posted 2005-04-21 11:12 AM (#22538 - in reply to #22534)

I'm netiphobic or possibly have a chronic case of netiogony. 
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-21 9:36 PM (#22608 - in reply to #22282)

Big Brother Bruce:
There is a treatment for netiphobia and netiogony. You have to buy an attachment which goes to the garden hose and then it fits into one nostril, then you adjust the pressure depending on the case, and the water goes to appropriate parts. Once the netiphobia is gone, one can start a normal neti-ing process. If this process does not work, only in rare cases, there is a foaming liquid which you have to put in the garden hose prior to the treatment.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 11:22 PM (#22642 - in reply to #22608)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai...that is hilarious

Those instructions reminds me of when I was a little girl. My sister and I would pretend that we were singers. We would dress up in my Mother's high heel stillettos (I would have to put my shoe inside the stilletto so that it fit snug and so I could walk), then we would stand in the middle of the yard holding the garden hose cause it was the microphone to sing into. Well, little brother would sneak around the back side of the house and turn the faucet on. I think you know the rest of the story. I got over my netiphobia.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-22 7:28 PM (#22713 - in reply to #22608)

Expert Yogi

Neel -
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-22 11:20 PM (#22735 - in reply to #22713)

Expert Yogi

Do we suppose Brother Bruce is ready to hear about the yogic enema?

Perhaps he should just read about it in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika?
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-24 4:19 AM (#22788 - in reply to #22282)

a question to and for the original poster:

why do you feel the need to use the neti pot daily?

is it ok to neti daily? (i know it is only water but is that not excessive?)

isnt a weekly neti sufficient?

aslo, i am sure that a tsp of salt is WAY too much unless you have a HUGE neti pot.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-24 9:05 AM (#22797 - in reply to #22788)

Expert Yogi

1/4 teaspoon into ~ z sounds more like the right amount of salt.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-24 2:01 PM (#22817 - in reply to #22797)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-04-24 9:05 AM

1/4 teaspoon into ~ z sounds more like the right amount of salt.

Did anyone ever think about their quality of water when using the neti pot??? Like, I'm sure if using simple tap water could have all kinds of contaminants and chemicals in it. Also, I wouldn't use just any kind of salt. Sea Salt is the best choice when using salt for cooking or eating....like some salt has so much iodine in it that it would probaby fry your nose and the way it is processed these days...no thanks.

I really never understood the big deal about these neti pots except for someone to make $$$$. When I'm doing meditation or if I'm not breathing as clear as I think I should be, every once in a while when I'm in the shower, I take a scoop of water and inhale it into each nostril and blow it back out, very simple and does the trick. I also do steam inhalations as well in the winter for when its sooo dry. I'm on well water in the mountains, which makes a big difference for the quality of water. I tried this in Atlanta one time and it burned like crazy, I could feel all those chemicals - yuk, it was so gross and I wouldn't even call that water, its some kind of recycled waste product..I'll never do that again.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-24 2:02 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-24 11:31 PM (#22837 - in reply to #22282)

Dear CyndiBen:
Neti Pot is no doubt a money making thing. But, so are most of the things, such as good things like Organic Food are also money making, they cost much more than they should. And, many other things such as gas in autos, etc.

Now, regardsless of how I actually introduce Neti and my other thoughts related to it, I wish to comment on Salt Significance. Salt is antibiotic, and also when you add a salt, there is an osmotic pressure effect during neti which means, neti actually sucks walter out of the mucous membrane, thus relieving the sinus. Same thing happens during gargles on the sore throat. These are of course only Symptomatic effects and no healing is involved.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-25 5:03 AM (#22849 - in reply to #22837)

kulkarnn - 2005-04-26 1:31 PM

Dear CyndiBen:
Neti Pot is no doubt a money making thing. But, so are most of the things, such as good things like Organic Food are also money making, they cost much more than they should. And, many other things such as gas in autos, etc.

Now, regardsless of how I actually introduce Neti and my other thoughts related to it, I wish to comment on Salt Significance. Salt is antibiotic, and also when you add a salt, there is an osmotic pressure effect during neti which means, neti actually sucks walter out of the mucous membrane, thus relieving the sinus. Same thing happens during gargles on the sore throat. These are of course only Symptomatic effects and no healing is involved.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

brother neel, please give us your opinion as to - how often - one should neti and -how much salt - one should use.

for a regular healthy person, isnt everyday excessive?

for example, i neti once weekly on saturday morning. i boil the water, wait for it to cool and add about 1 tsp of salt to the container of water. with this water i will neti twice on the left and twice on the right. i am guessing there is about ---------stopped guessing and went and measured---- 4 cups of water to 1 tsp of salt. too much? not enough?

on a neti scale of 1 to 10...how am i doing?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-25 10:06 AM (#22857 - in reply to #22282)

Dear easternsun:
since you asked my opinion, now I have to give it. Hope you do not get netiphobia or netigony like beloved big brother bruce.

1. there is no scale on neti of 1 to 10.

2. i do not recommend to do Neti for each person.

3. I recommend NOT to add any salt to the perrson who is already doing neti.

4. If one is doinging neti, I recommend simple room temperature water and NO boiled or cold water. If one does not like room temperature, I advise, slightly cooler than room temperature, and NOT above.

5. I recommend Distilled Water rather than any other water. Distilled water is surprisingly available in grocery stores.

6. If you want to know the reasoning behind all above, you have to join my Teacher Training or take a private neti lesson with me.

Brother Neel
www.authenticyoga.org
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-25 10:27 AM (#22860 - in reply to #22282)

Well,

i think i said before...but i'm not sure. I followed the directions for my neti pot to a T.

I am using non iodized salt, and in the directions 1tsp. of COARSE salt, is what is used. They actually recommend a rounded teaspoon, and i'm using less then that. I believe using the neti pot everyday is not excessive, as that is what the directions recommend, and i've known people who use it every morning.

In the directions, and in Ayruveda (sp) they say to use it multiple times during allergy season. I stated previously, i have sinus issues, so for me i think using it everyday would be helpful not excessive. At least i thought.......

Anyway, i think the neti pot could be great for most people. I still want to use mine, i am just taking a break and only doing my one nostril, every once in awhile.

I know that salt is needed, and they say to use body temp. water, not cool as that will make you stuffy.

Cheers
qlatina
Posted 2005-07-02 3:39 PM (#26584 - in reply to #22282)

I need help i cant get it to flow at all the water goes down my throat over and over again. Is there a secret trick no one has told me?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-07-03 10:41 PM (#26618 - in reply to #26584)

Expert Yogi

You probably have your forehead up too high. It should be level with your nose, and
your head should be turned sideways. Try lowering your head or turning it a bit more.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)