YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pilates and breathing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jag123
Posted 2005-04-13 5:35 AM (#21797)
Subject: pilates and breathing

hi

I have been doing a modified pilates essions to help my chronic fatigue problem. along with other core stability work I have found it works well but slowly due to my condition.

I want to become a pilates instructor to complement my fitness qualifications. I really like it

When doing pilates I have found you dont force the breathing. In fact I had to leave it alone and just do it natually. I dont believe in the breathing methods can work better than natural breathing. Basically trying to breath a certain way simply aggraviates my condition. I have tried evrry breathing method under the sun since 2 years ago.....

I want to teach Pilates but when I found it is important to be flexible in what you do, be flexible about the exercises and dont try to breat a certain way.
Concentrate on how it feels as you do it. You dont want a tight body pushing through movements trying to move and breat right.

This allows for the mind/nerves to relax better and concentrate on what you do and how it feels.

Thats how I want to do and teach Pilates. I dislike a regimented way of Pilates or any fitness regime eg breat like this and do exercise number 12 the same way...

q) dont force the deep ab muscles to contract either, this only makes things worse especially when your body is not 100%. Is there any evidence that you need to consciously force the ab mucles to contract 30% and you cant do this naturally

q) I used to do a lot of sport triathlons etc and I dont know of any special way to breath that makes things easier. If someone can give me 'scientific' evidence to the contrary please give references. Breathing is not a switch...if this is the case go and teach a sick person to breath right. I just dont believe it is that easy.

thanks

Edited by jag123 2005-04-13 5:36 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Revampo
Posted 2005-04-14 5:47 PM (#21968 - in reply to #21797)
Subject: RE: pilates and breathing

Hi,

Its a good thing you training to become an instructor.And yes,you're right,pilates improves breathing.I'm sure you know all about the lateral breathing in this discipline.

As for engaging you powerhouse(during the movement),You're not doing pilates if you dont scoop your abs i.e. abs to spine.Most exerices (if not all) requires you to breathe in to initiate the movement.

For instance,the ROLL UP-you breathe in to rise from the mat,and breathe out as you scoop forward with a C curve to the back,thereby empting the lungs while stimulating and strenghtening the circulatory system.

I hope this helps.

I'd like to know how long you have been practicing pilates?

Edited by Revampo 2005-04-14 5:51 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)