YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ayurveda question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-04-10 8:49 AM (#21560)
Subject: ayurveda question

i dont know if you all read this month's feature article:

http://yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=357§ion=9&cat=0

it is quite interesting. i have read much on the subject and even spent a couple months having treatments at an ayurvedic hospital.

my question is regarding the doshas. it seems (according to all the quizes, questionnaires, etc) that i am equally kapha, vata and pitta. i dont have a dominant dosha

the doctor i saw in india would not comment on my dosha as he said it would take a long time (longer than two months) for him to assess my constitution.

so are the questionnaires meaningless? do they offer an accuarate picture?

if you arent sure what i mean, here is one i pulled from YJ :

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/498_1.cfm

please try it and tell me if you think it is "you". or to anyone with experience please tell me what you think of my bizarre triple constitution.

a doctor in india (not mine) , some ayurvedic students and several quizes have all come up with this kapha-vata-pitta result. seems odd to me that i wouldnt have a dominant dosha.

any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 1:17 PM (#21572 - in reply to #21560)
Subject: RE: ayurveda question

Expert Yogi

Kira - I have tried the quizzes, to and have only been able to come to the conclusion that it is too complex to be answered by a quizz. Foir example - the very first quality of vata is "cool, light dry, mobile, agitated" and kapha is "cool, heavy, moist and stable, sluggish" I see myself as cool, light DRY, stable - there isn't a category I see myself in even to begin to choose.

I wonder about these qualities being true for people living in completely different climates from where they originated and I also wonder about how they could be read for someone like you who was in India for a relatviely short time. One's body would take quite awhile to adapt to the food, weather etc., I would think. It would have to have some sort of effect on the constitution of the body, wouldn't it?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-10 10:55 PM (#21607 - in reply to #21560)
Subject: RE: ayurveda question

Expert Yogi

Easternsun,

Actually, to have equal doshas, is very rare. That would mean that you were perfectly balanced. Usually, a person would have one being higher than the other. I'm a Pitta, Vata, Kapha. I've had two very qualified Ayurveda MD's that did not know each other, give me my diagnosis in less than 30 minutes. There are several ways you can tell yourself by doing the charts, but there are so many variables to get it correct that you really need a doctor to help you with to get it accurate. They would like need to read your pulse and ask some very personal questions about your lifestyle, dietary habits, how you digest your food and your environment,etc. So, congratulations on being *perfect*.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-10 10:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)