YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Male Clothing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

damien
Posted 2005-11-11 1:45 AM (#36333 - in reply to #21388)
Subject: RE: Male Clothing

somebong - 2005-04-07 6:56 PM

Whoa, Whoa, a nude class? I heard of that stuff only happening in Australia.

Can it be coed i.e. one male and all female?

what state. i might have to go sometime
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jahamasa
Posted 2005-11-15 12:08 AM (#36613 - in reply to #21276)

I wear square leg Speedo's, but even if I was wearing a dance belt, anyone paying that much attention to my costume needs to work on their focus.
johnb838
Posted 2006-05-11 11:31 AM (#52103 - in reply to #21381)

Sorry... just having a little fun with the topic...did I mention that I wear a thong to class
sometimes, especially when I'm trying to get other students to give me more space.

I wear a loincloth. Basically a Sumo costume. I'm sort of built like a sumo wrestler, half the size, but with the Buddha belly, so I think it's a good look for me.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-11 12:01 PM (#52111 - in reply to #21276)

my wife bought me some underarmour underwear and that fixes the danglies
njguy
Posted 2006-05-12 11:26 AM (#52306 - in reply to #21276)

I bought a pair of "men's Brazilian trunks" from shaktiactivewear. I just want to be wearing as little as possible because I sweat so much I find any clothes to be too much. My fitness shorts were just too hot and I thought a Speedo bikini was probably not appreciated by some. I do sometimes wear a Speedo squarecut, but the shatiactivewear shorts are a little cooler. They are so low cut that I have to be a little careful, but they seem to stay put throughout the class. I'm happy now, don't know about the others in the Bikram classes, but I haven't heard any bursts of laughter. It's not like some beauty contest. I still can't figure out how some women can tolerate wearing long pants in the class. I would be sooo uncomfortable.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-12 2:50 PM (#52325 - in reply to #52306)

Expert Yogi

Short, Short, Short...very short, My tonic yoga shorts with a skimpy bra top for me. I don't care if you stare at me, I don't care what you think...I will not wear long pants, tanks and nor do I wear light colored shorts....cause when you sweat, it looks like you pee pee'd in your shorts, and then I would care if you stared at me for that,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-05-12 2:51 PM
Doug
Posted 2006-05-13 7:06 AM (#52368 - in reply to #21276)

I heard that the more expert you become the higher up your pants go . So, if your a master yogi like Iyengar then your pants would be up past your belly button.

I have an Ausie friend who calls his paraketes budgies...He has both male and female. I had to ask him what he was talking about. I love Ausie slang, it's so relaxing, casual.
fes311
Posted 2007-07-22 11:27 PM (#92263 - in reply to #21276)

OK, I have a question for some of you, a bit off topic but touches upon us "prudish yanks"

While doing DANDAYAMANA-BIBHAKTAPADA-PASCHIMOTTHANASANA (cut and paste, not typing that one out) a girl in front of me had her clothing umm betray her so to speak. She was wearing really short and tight shorts, lycra possibly but not sure. Anyway, while on my way down into the bend I couldnt help but notice that the young womans shorts were not providing enough coverage. So what does one do at that point. Do you tell the young lady that something is open for public viewing or what... I mean, im a guy, she may be very embarassed if I say something but it may be something she should know. Should I tell the teacher and have her relay the message.
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-23 12:19 AM (#92272 - in reply to #21276)

Do you mean that the shorts are too short?? I hope I wasn't the one front of you
I had one class where woman was wearing white cotton top.
mia1181
Posted 2007-07-23 4:48 PM (#92374 - in reply to #21276)

Hmmm... I don't think I would like being told that by a man either. Well I probably wouldn't like be told at all... embarrassing! That's why I am always checking myself especially in pavanamuktasana. I always just reach down and check if I am wearing shorts that have bigger leg holes.

I did make the mistake of wearing a black cotton tank w/ built-in bra once. When it got wet you could make out the outline of my nipples, although I'd bet you'd have to look somewhat hard to notice.

I guess I would just mention it to the teacher in private if it really bothers you. But honestly, I just focus on myself and look at myself in the mirror during yoga.
libragirl
Posted 2007-07-23 8:33 PM (#92382 - in reply to #21276)

this is why I wear long yoga pants to bikram instead of shorts!
fes311
Posted 2007-07-23 8:39 PM (#92383 - in reply to #21276)

yes, long pants are probably best unless you are the kind of person that just doesnt care what gets laid out for the world to see, but I think I will take your advice and not let the girl now what I saw.
Oh and as to the original topic, i could go my whole life without seeing another guy in a speedo.
Thats just too much information.
fes311
Posted 2007-07-23 8:41 PM (#92384 - in reply to #21276)

oh and it doesnt bother me, i mean... But I feel bad for her?
mia1181
Posted 2007-07-23 11:22 PM (#92395 - in reply to #21276)

yeah it didn't seem like you were that offended... just got an eyeful! There are certain things I would WANT to be told. I went to college to be a history teacher and we did a lot of "practice lessons" in front of our fellow classmates and we would each write a little feedback on each other's lessons for advice/encouragement. One time I recieved a comment that said "Don't erase the chalkboard side-to-side because it makes your booty giggle!" And it was written by a guy. I was really embarrassed but glad he told me so I didn't do it in front of high school students!

But in this case, I feel like the girl should have thought of that herself. I mean you know your leg is going to be up in the air!

But I have to say no long pants for me either! I hate the way my clothes stick to my body when they get wet. So I am in a sports bra and short bicycle shorts.
Andre
Posted 2007-07-24 10:09 AM (#92415 - in reply to #21276)

Extreme Veteran

"Don't erase the chalkboard side-to-side because it makes your booty giggle!"

That's really funny. I can totally see both being embarrassed but glad to know!
I mean, better to find out now, rather than in a class room of adolescents.

Re: guys in speedos? Noooo kidding. The one thing I don't particularly like about practicing Bikrams is the lack of modesty. It took me forever to finally take my shirt off--and this was when I was in the best shape of my life, nothing to hide, right? Nope, I felt like a piece of meat. It helps with alignment to really see with minimal clothing. And when I'm working my practice, the rest of the "distractions" disappear.

Not sure what to do about it though, with the sweat, less clothing really is better. I suppose it's all part of the Yoga, not letting the distractions get in the way.
yogagal
Posted 2007-07-31 4:45 PM (#93101 - in reply to #21276)

I personally don't think that if a guy wears a speedo it is a problem. Most girls, I will admit. over do it by wearing a bra to small or shorts that expose your thong when bending over.

However, I will say that after a few minutes, I really don't pay attention except to myself.

If being shy is a factor, you can always try the morning sessions before going to the more popular evening sessions.

Namaste
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-01 6:11 AM (#93130 - in reply to #93101)

Personally, I prefer shorts, especially when doing one leg balancing postures such as tree. However, I make sure to wear Bridget Jones' knickers underneath!

Fee
decatur1945
Posted 2008-03-02 7:58 PM (#104278 - in reply to #21276)

Hello, new here. I'm a guy, and older, don't have an Adonis body, but not in terrible shape either. When I first took Bikram, was told to dress like I was goin got hte beach, "the less, the better". So I went and got a speedo! I had never owned one before. I wear gym shorts into the class and take them off before starting. Nobody has ever said anything and no burst sof laughter either. After my first class or 2 I did ask the owner of the studio, a female, if I was dressed appropriately and she said I was fine, and the Bikram wore speedos. Since then, I have gotten to know a few people in the class, one woman in particular, and I asked her and she said it was fine and not to worry about it. Now, I do not do this to "display" my package, I am very, very average (especailly in an unaroused state, hope that's not inappropriate). And like others, once the class starts, I'm not looking at others and assume neither do they look at me.

I actually woulnd't wear a speedo at a beach or pool or such.

Ram
Posted 2008-03-03 11:17 AM (#104316 - in reply to #21276)

I would never even consider wearing a speedo. I find them hidious. I wear two brand name shorts that are the same style. They are "breath" and "under armour" . both go to my knees and have compression style shorts stitched in underneath so nothing shows when I do any movement.

I must admit at times I am enjoy an attractive skimply dressed female close to me in practise. At the same time I see all types. Big flabby ladies and guys with fat hanging everywhere. i give them credit for "letting in hang" while they workout.
jaybird123
Posted 2008-03-03 3:45 PM (#104362 - in reply to #21276)

Regular

I wear the small little yoga shorts and the only strange looks I get are from the younger guys that come in and are doing the yoga for the first time. 15 minutes into the class nobody cares what anybody else is wearing. I remember that I wore regular shorts the first few classes but I got tired of pulling up the pant legs going into a triangle or other similar poses -- too much of a distraction. I'm sure that there are women that aren't thrilled about seeing so little material on a middle aged man but I'm there to do my practice, not "walk the catwalk".
rasbabagi
Posted 2009-07-22 2:44 AM (#117077 - in reply to #21276)
Subject: Re: Male Clothing

I just wear a jock strap, even though it is a little old. That way I'm assured of two things. 1. Other men won't practice near me. 2. For some reason, I always have plenty of space, even in crowded classes.
veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-22 6:31 PM (#117100 - in reply to #21276)

Just wear black ones. There's still a bump down there but no detail, which is what I was worried about. Silly, huh?
fffastt
Posted 2009-08-06 9:55 PM (#117500 - in reply to #21285)

I think guys look good in short yogawear.
For me it was an insecurity issue - now I wear short costumes. It is more practical 2 wear a snug fitting costume for a 90 min yoga session and it isn't grossssssssss. There is nothing gross about Bikram. It took me 3 years and 3 months to finally wear a very comfortable suit in the studio. You should feel comfortable with your body ultimately; a big part of the Bikram journey is learning to luv yourself : wholly! And heck, the chicks luv 'em.
amyf
Posted 2009-08-07 9:12 AM (#117506 - in reply to #21276)

Veteran

LOVE the comment on the jock strap LOL
PS one day I got to yoga and realized I had forgotten my gear!! I FINALLY had a sitter and there was no way I was going to to miss it. so.... I was in there in my actual under wear and went home commando. The things we do for yoga !!

Edited by amyf 2009-08-07 9:15 AM
melissabest
Posted 2009-08-08 3:37 PM (#117521 - in reply to #21276)

I really can't imagine caring what any one wears to a Bikram class. Maybe it's my background in drawing and painting (staring at nude models for hours on end), but I find the idea that nudity in itself can offend or embarrass kind of funny. Don't get me wrong, some hygiene and modesty is in order. But with all the challenges I face in those 90 minutes, the sight of a pube or an eyeful of vagina is hardly going to be one of them.

As for myself, I wear snug fitting shorts that keep in place fairly well, but to awkwardly paraphrase a bumper sticker: "If you can read this, mind your own damn practice!"

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)