YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Male Clothing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-09 7:45 PM (#21524 - in reply to #21491)
Subject: RE: Male Clothing

Expert Yogi

A topless lady in the US would surely draw both a crowd and the cops.
It's really kind of stupid, isn't it? I certainly agree with your comments about
growing up with nudity being a fine way to put it into an unremarkable context;
and I agree that the linkage of nudity and sexuality here is far too strong.

But tell me, are you saying that when you see an attractive woman naked
you don't find yourself drifting toward thoughts of a sexual nature? That would
really impress me, since I do find that I usually have to tell that desirous voice
to be quiet when I'm in such situations. I am able to silence it, but I'd be lying
totally to say that it isn't there someplace.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 8:39 PM (#21530 - in reply to #21524)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Bay Guy - I was drifting towards that question myself but I think it sounds better coming from a guy. The next logical step is - so what DOES provoke that sort of interest in someone with such a background? Did I word that discreetly enough?
gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-09 9:53 PM (#21534 - in reply to #21276)

Extreme Veteran

I would guess that attractive clothing might do it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-09 10:30 PM (#21537 - in reply to #21534)

Expert Yogi

Yes, getting back to the topic of clothing -- male clothing in particular ---
what do you ladies think that we men should be wearing to our yoga
classes? Nothing? A thong? A Speedo? Bike shorts? Gym shorts? Do we
need to wear shirts? Perhaps a monk's habit?

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-10 5:32 PM (#21582 - in reply to #21276)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-10 1:45 AM
But tell me, are you saying that when you see an attractive woman naked
you don't find yourself drifting toward thoughts of a sexual nature? That would
really impress me, since I do find that I usually have to tell that desirous voice
to be quiet when I'm in such situations. I am able to silence it, but I'd be lying
totally to say that it isn't there someplace.

Don't worry, growing up with nudies all around me didn't turn me into an eunuch. First let me tell you something about naked ladies: They're not all exactly like Claudia Schiffer, Tyra Banks or any other super model you fancy. We as yogis know that people come in many forms, ages and shapes, most of them not overly attractive.
But indeed, being exposed to a naked female, even if very attractive, doesn't turn me on in a way it does many other men. I admire a beautiful body and enjoy the sight nevertheless. Check out the features, both the "characters" and stuff, ya know. But I can sense the erotic in not-nude ladies as well, maybe better than most other males. For me she doesn't even need to strip down to her underwear to arouse me. Depends on the female. But this is just me, I'm not Joe Average so please don't project my case on all nudists around the world.
Also I have most understanding for people who see nudity and sex in the same context. In our modern world you don't get to see much naked ladies in person other than in your or her bedroom. So, if Joe Average sees a nude lady it's quite clear to him that she isn't there to talk about business, taxes or politics with him.
pbwilson
Posted 2005-04-10 5:50 PM (#21585 - in reply to #21276)

I would think that a speedo would be really good for Bikram - no having to adjust shorts during different poses, and I would think that less clothing = cooler. I've seen some guys wearing them at my studio, but I am too embarassed to do so.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 8:17 PM (#21598 - in reply to #21585)

Expert Yogi

I dunno - I would think bike type shorts (without the chamois padding) would be plenty comfy but I know some guys find them too revealing. It is very much a "when in Rome" kind of thing. You find out what is the norm for your studio and work around that. Back in the early 80's before triathlon became popular my husband wasn't terribly happy about wearing bike shorts, but that's what all the biking people wear (and for good reason - they are the best garment for the activity) and so now he likes them just fine. He did have a pair of running tights in the 80's that had big pink stripes on them that he would only wear at night, though. There's a limit to everything
aussiepearl
Posted 2005-04-15 2:56 AM (#22008 - in reply to #21276)

In Australia we have another name for speedos- budgie smugglers. There are a lot of budgies being smuggled on the beaches around here when the life guards are out on parade let me tell you.

I would say you should feel comfortable first for yoga and worry about what you look like second. No one actually takes any notice, well i don't anyway. Obese and extremely hairy men do not look too flash in speedos though.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-15 10:17 AM (#22025 - in reply to #22008)

Expert Yogi

Oh those crazy Aussies! I hear they call the bloomer-like shorts the women wear for yoga in India "passion killers."
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 11:05 AM (#22032 - in reply to #22025)

Oh, that one's older than the Aussie continent I used to wear grey flannel 'passion killer' bloomers for school sports as did my mother before me, except hers had a hankie pocket on them!

Well, the winters are damply chill in the UK

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-04-15 11:05 AM

Posted 2005-04-15 11:07 AM (#22033 - in reply to #22032)

Did you have plimsols as well Fee?
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 11:13 AM (#22035 - in reply to #22033)

Yep, but only if you had your nose in the air. They were 'pumps' to us gals and black canvass rather than white unless playing tennis

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 11:15 AM (#22037 - in reply to #22008)

*LOL* When I worked in the oil industry, we called helicopters, paraffin budgies. This conjures up a whole other set of mental mayhem

Fee

aussiepearl - 2005-04-15 7:56 AM

In Australia we have another name for speedos- budgie smugglers. There are a lot of budgies being smuggled on the beaches around here when the life guards are out on parade let me tell you.

I would say you should feel comfortable first for yoga and worry about what you look like second. No one actually takes any notice, well i don't anyway. Obese and extremely hairy men do not look too flash in speedos though.
bikboy
Posted 2005-05-01 7:06 PM (#23259 - in reply to #21276)

i have been doing bikram for over a year now. before my first class, i spent some time on the internet seeing what most studios suggested for men to wear in class. Most studios do suggest a speedo for men, for obvious reasons. i can't say i have ever been concerned about how reavealing some find a speedo, it all comes down to being comfortable while practicing bikram, or any sport for that reason. bike shorts for biking, soccor shorts for soccor, running shorts for running, a wrestling singlet for wrestling, and hey, a speedo for bikram. i will mention however if you are one to worry about exposure, then you should avoid light colored clothing as when it becomes wet, you can see everything in even grerater detail. i feel better having my "member" securely fastened, much better then drooping down the leg of my shorts.
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-02 9:54 AM (#23273 - in reply to #21276)

I opt for the Champion running shorts (on sale now at your local Target!) They have a nice lining for the package and you can always tuck the flaps in when required.

Then again, tucking the flaps in turns them into grape smugglers anyway. (That's Boston-speak for speedos.)
Al_Bert_321
Posted 2005-05-02 11:23 AM (#23275 - in reply to #21276)

I had taken other forms of yoga for some time before venturing into hot yoga. I have always been confortable wearing spandex, so going to a speedo was just a benefit as doing tree (as one of the poses) was made so much easier as your foot doesn't slip off your inside thigh.

At first when I took my first hot class, I was a little nervous - wearing a speedo, and having my buglde emphasized. As class progressed, it became irrelevant. In fact, it was more interesting to see how the girls dressed and what they showed. It became a class of "show and show"!

Too bad there aren't co-ed change rooms and showers!
jaybird123
Posted 2005-05-03 10:50 AM (#23358 - in reply to #23275)

Regular

I occasionally wear a speedo myself, I don't know what the big deal is (of course I used to be a swimmer). Besides, 15 minutes into the session, does anybody really care how anybody else looks? bodys come in all different shapes and sizes
sharky
Posted 2005-05-25 1:43 PM (#24646 - in reply to #21276)

I don't want to say that I *don't ever* notice what people (men or women) are wearing in class, but as long as they're happy and comfortable, I'm not worried about it. If people are immature enough to take issue with your appearance, out of lust or out of disgust, then that's their problem. I go to yoga to improve my own well-being, and I wear what makes me comfortable and enables the teacher to give me advice about the poses.

FWIW, nude yoga doesn't sound great to me because I need something to support my chest. If the girls are flopping around, that's gonna hurt.

chrisbh
Posted 2005-10-27 10:15 PM (#35307 - in reply to #21283)

yes, yoga at home without cloth is most comfortable, i believe.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-28 5:06 AM (#35328 - in reply to #35307)

Yep, I'd go for that statement too. Twists are a lot easier if there's no cloth getting left behind.

Fee

Posted 2005-11-09 12:23 AM (#36152 - in reply to #21276)

i like to wear long under armour compression shorts.
they go down to about my knees, and make me feel like a super hero!
tourist
Posted 2005-11-09 10:08 AM (#36182 - in reply to #36152)

Expert Yogi

Holy hanumanasana, Batman! Great clothing advice!!

Sorry - someone had to say it Anything that makes you feel like a super hero has to be a good idea
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-11-09 3:49 PM (#36220 - in reply to #36182)

tourist - 2005-11-09 8:08 AM

Holy hanumanasana, Batman! Great clothing advice!!

Oh thanks Glenda, now I have this mental picture of Batman doing hanumanasana in holey shorts. That's gonna ruin my whole day
isha
Posted 2005-11-10 4:34 PM (#36312 - in reply to #21276)

I used to teach this yoga class out in Brooklyn once a week. So this was more than ten years ago when yoga was yoga and coffee was coffee and you didn't have to choose between astanga, anusara and carmel macchiato.
Sorry, I digress- this guy Ed would faithfully come to my class and bend my ear about Zen Buddhism before and after class. Every class, he would put his mat next to mine and every class, he would do headstand instead of final relaxation and his, uh, package would drop out of his loose semi-transparent boxer shorts and hang down his leg.
Just for lucky me to see.
I had forgotten about this until reading this very droll forum about male yoga togs.

Aren't budgies parakeets? Or is this Aussie slang for dope?
damien
Posted 2005-11-11 1:40 AM (#36332 - in reply to #36312)

Aren't budgies parakeets? Or is this Aussie slang for dope?

dope? not that I know of never even heard of that type of slang. maybe its a queensland thing.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)