YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

college lifestye
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

halfmoonbender
Posted 2005-04-01 3:32 PM (#20876)
Subject: college lifestye

I am 21 years old and just about to graduat from college -- woohoo! Anyway for the last four years I know I've been really bad to my body by grabbing the fastest food I possibly could... I know that when I graduate I won't have much more time to prepare food than I do now (I'm going to be a newspaper reporter!) but I've decided to use my graduation as a turning point in my eating habits.... no more fast food... no more potato chips... I'd love to start eating organic, but the expense is killer..

Anyway, I wondered if you anyone might have some suggestions for me. What is the best way to go about making such a drastic change and how might I incorporate it into my crazy schedule?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-01 6:50 PM (#20887 - in reply to #20876)
Subject: RE: college lifestye

Expert Yogi

Hooray Erica! Good for you - the graduating and the decision to eat better. There is a thread or two about what you are talking about here. One in particular talks about simple steps. I would work on adding in fruits and veggies first and think about organic later when you are ready mentally and financially. Some will disagree with this but small steps are easier to accomodate. You might just want to start with adding an apple and carrot a day to your meals. They are cheap and keep and travel well. Even if you have a fast food day, keep eating your apple and carrot. Then one day you might grate them up and make a salad out of them, add a few sunflower seeds, slice up some roasted chicken from the deli and so it goes... Read all the posts here and see if you can get some more ideas. Just remember small steps. Rome was not built in a day
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 8:48 PM (#20903 - in reply to #20887)

Expert Yogi

I agree with the small steps recommendation. You might be able to upend
you whole diet for a couple of months, but it will be very hard to sustain that
kind of change over a stretch of years. A few more simple thoughts:

--- breakfast cereal: switch to one with no added sugar & high fiber.

--- yogurt: it's easy to make a cup of yogurt into a daily habit.

--- coffee: if you add sugar, nix it.

--- Orange juice: usually easy to find, essentially the same dietary value as
an actual orange. Get 100% juice, not a "juice drink" or a "fruit cocktail"
b/c juice drink may be 10% juice with corn syrup for sweetner.

--- Just don't eat at Micky D's or KFC or their many cousins (barf!)

halfmoonbender
Posted 2005-04-01 11:17 PM (#20924 - in reply to #20876)

Thanks for your ideas.. I guess I should read everything before I post from now on.

I have actually been adding more fruits and veggies into my diet for a while.. The more I eat, the less bad things I seem to crave. In fact, the latest addition to my diet has been a whole cucumber everyday... I have a salt tooth and I've found that a salted cucumber is as satisfying as potato chips and other snack foods that I really love.

But when I do falter and binge on fatty foods, I feel really guilty. I want to learn to feel good about what I put into my body. Perhaps patience is the key.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 11:19 PM (#20926 - in reply to #20924)

Expert Yogi

Yo! But go easy on the salt. It raises your blood pressure.
Sorry to add to the burden of heathly eating!
halfmoonbender
Posted 2005-04-01 11:30 PM (#20930 - in reply to #20926)

I know I know.. but I like it...
A lot!
And I'm young!
And it won't clog my arteries AND raise my blood pressure like 'tato chips!

Okay... I'll try to eat less, but just a wee little bit everyday is healthy right?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-02 2:10 AM (#20939 - in reply to #20930)

Expert Yogi

Salted cucumber and sugar in coffee are two of the best things in life. Don't give 'em up without a fight! But you might be able to cut down the salt if you sprinkle a little vinegar on the cucumber first Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Just keep making it up as you go along. That's what most of us do anyway
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-04-03 8:32 PM (#21022 - in reply to #20876)

I worked hard on changing my eating habits also after graduating from college, and after being diagnosed with endometriosis, both 4 years ago. Be prepared...it took me a solid 2 years to totally do it. The best thing you can do is constantly read about nutrition, make small changes, and don't hate yourself if you absolutely must have one night a week where you eat whatever you want, especially in the beginning. Another thing, be prepared for when you get a "real job." I will guarantee that people will ask you if you're "dieting" because you're eating vegetables for lunch, or cutting up an apple for a breaktime snack. The college diet is no longer just a college lifestyle; the college diet has completely saturated our culture, and our workforce. One day after work, around six o'clock, drive by some fast food places, and while you do, remember all the news stories you've heard in the last few years about obesity in America, and heart disease prevention...then, look at the cars wrapped around all these fast food places! The math adds up. Good luck to you!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-03 9:16 PM (#21027 - in reply to #21022)

Expert Yogi

But the good news is that if you make a habit of eating well, you'll be driving
by those fast food places thinking "Oh Barf! How can anyone eat that!" I'd go
hungry first.
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-04-04 12:26 AM (#21042 - in reply to #20876)

Bay Guy, I totally agree with you. To me, there is nothing on this earth more disgusting than the smell of a Burger King restaurant. Unfortunately, I have to drive by one nearly every day. Every once in a while, I must have a bean burrito (no red sauce, add fiesta, plus 3 packets of fire sauce) from Taco Bell, but that's IT!

What always makes me mad are fast food commercials that feature extremely thin women, and athletic men eating fast food. Ever look at the people who are wrapped around those fast food places for dinner? I've gotten way off topic...

Anyway, for halfmoonbender, try to focus on food being for fuel, and the better quality fuel you feed your body, the better your body will perform. Fruit and veggies are nature's fast food. You don't actually have to leave the office for lunch to get them, so they're even faster! Also, once you begin preparing your food, you will notice you may eat less. Preparing your food allows you to focus on it, smell its aroma, and it will begin to satisfy you before you even begin eating. Fast food won't do that. What I do is pack a bag full of several food options for lunch, and I decide what I want to eat at lunch time. I'll cut up a few veggies, maybe eat them together as a salad, or eat them separately, maybe add a packet of tuna for lean protein, or some soup. Once you start doing it, it's easier than you think.

Sorry for being so long-winded.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-10 8:39 AM (#21559 - in reply to #20876)

although i agree with butterfly about making good choices and preparing several options, i am finding myself struggling with good and bad food choices - and i have only been back to school for a little over a week!

juan valdez has snuck into my flat a few mornings!! i am not eating my five small meals as i should and have skipped a few meals or had bigger meals (because i am starving!) and then feel horrid after because i am bloated and too full.

it is easy for me to avoid fast food (well western ideas of fast food anyway!). i will admit that the crap carbs (white rice and bread) are trying (so far unsuccessfully) to sneak their way back in too.

good luck to the OP! i am trying to fuel up on good stuff! i think of it as brain power!!

ps does anyone know where i can rent a few extra thousand brain cells? i seem to have "lost " some of mine since the last time i was in school full time
JennFank848
Posted 2005-05-16 1:33 PM (#24181 - in reply to #20876)

Hey I am new here and I am in the same situation as you are. I am graduating in a year and for the past three years all I have done is eat fast food and junk; basically everything that is bad for you. I have gained so much weight. I remember how thin I was in high school and when I look at pictures I just get so frustrated. I want to make a turn a round now and I also want to try and get back into shape. It is horrible being 21 years old and getting so tired because of your weight, in addition to having low energy levels. But I made a commitment to myself that I will try and lose weight. Just how do you make that huge turn-around? It seems really hard to imagine having a cup of fruit over a cheeseburger, fries and milkshake from McDonald’s.

Anyone have any advice that would help me get through this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-17 12:06 PM (#24243 - in reply to #24181)

Expert Yogi

Well, my first piece of advice is don't eat at Mickey D's. If you can't
manage that, the next piece is to dump skip the fries, order a green salad
with the burger (not slathered in blue cheese dressing and not one of those
"Caesar salad" numbers with lots of cheese and bologna), and to get water
instead of the shake. Those two changes knock more than 1000 calories
out of the meal you described (figuring 500 for the shake and 500-1000 for the
fries).

Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-17 12:15 PM (#24245 - in reply to #24181)

If your craving for a burger and chips (UK term for chunky fries; we call your chips, crisps!) gets too much when trying to eat healthily, then try making them yourself as home recipes can knock loads of calories off.

Tips include :

1. Using extra lean minced meat.
2. Grilling the patty rather than frying it, or putting it on a grill in the oven so the fat falls away.
3. Not using cheese at all.
4. Adding flavour with herbs and onion (even apple if using pork or chicken).
5. Having a baked potato with it instead.

A company in the UK, Lakeland, have recently added a no-fat deep fryer to their range which is supposed to produce chips and other deep-fryable goodies without using any fat at all but still producing that deep-fried flavour and texture. I've not tried one myself as yet, so I can't say whether it works or not, but this company is usually has amazing products and customer service.

Fee
tourist
Posted 2005-05-17 7:14 PM (#24282 - in reply to #24245)

Expert Yogi

In Canada we say chips for both chips and, ummm - chips We didn't call them "fries" until you-know-who arrived with the goofy clown and cheap, cheap burgers... I gotta say though, there are days when NOTHING is as good as some McDonald's fries and I say that even after watching all the bonus material in "Supersize Me." OTOH - English chips are the gourmet version. I think we had them for breakfast, lunch and supper (errr - tea) a couple of times when we were there. Oh - I should stop now and go eat some tofu or something.....
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-17 7:53 PM (#24289 - in reply to #24282)

Expert Yogi

Oh my. Don't forget that those fries, or chips, or pommes frits, usually show
up glittering with salt that you don't need in your diet. Do you know that added
salt raises blood pressure --- for everybody, not just the unlucky few?

BTW, if you get stuck eating at one of the places, go for the grilled chicken
sandwich in place of the burger. I mean grilled chicken, not the deep-fried,
batter-coated stuff. You'll save on saturated fat by dodging the beef. You'll
also cut your risk of Mad Cow disease, which the US is not doing enough to
keep out of the food supply....

I'm cooking pasta and veggies for dinner tonight, if the wife ever gets home.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-17 9:33 PM (#24294 - in reply to #20876)

Not to give a rah-rah to the fast food places, but don't some of them have some pretty good salads nowadays? Granted, you can't smother them with dressing, but I think they're kinda good without it (I hate salad dressing though, so I'm not a good example). Wendy's even has a little fruit plate. I haven't tried it yet, but sometimes there's just no time to make lunch! Eating a Clif Bar at one's desk is just so unsatisfying. A big bowl of leaves with a little grilled chicken on top isn't so wrong, is it?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-17 10:34 PM (#24296 - in reply to #24294)

Expert Yogi

Leaves with grilled chicken sounds good to me!
tourist
Posted 2005-05-18 12:20 AM (#24310 - in reply to #24289)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - I am such a salt fiend. It is a hard habit to break! (Anyone remember the salt-sucking monster on the original Star Trek? I totally identified with her...) But your point has a flip side - I have always had lowish blood pressure and I am at least halfway convinced that my salt craving exists to balance that. I may be forced to confront it when I become menopausal and my arteries lose their hormone-induced flexibility but I plan to cross that bridge when it presents itself.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-18 4:41 AM (#24315 - in reply to #24282)

Tourist.... did you try chip butties as well *gggg*

Actually, the really traditional English Fish and Chip shop's actually a weapon.... downs foreigners in one deliciously greasy stomach full

Fee
tourist
Posted 2005-05-18 11:11 AM (#24337 - in reply to #24315)

Expert Yogi

The chip buttie fascinates me but I did not succumb this time! The starch plus starch sandwich for (spagetti sandwich, mashed potato sandwich) has never appealled to me, thank goodness or I'd be a gazillion pounds by now. Our main food complaint in England was not the food but the fact that all the locals were drinking Budweiser and Corona while we were wanting the good local brews. What a shame!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-18 11:51 AM (#24343 - in reply to #24337)

Ah, I can see you only visited the mega chain pubs owned by the big brewers or resturants. What you really needed was a friendly local with a healthy line in vices to take you to a traditional Free House (no, Bruce, Afroyogi, don't get excited, it means the landlord owns the pub and can choose his own ales, not that the beer's free!).

Have a look here > http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.ASP?WCI=ShowCat&CatID=1

You really haven't lived until you've had a night out with a Black Sheep, taken an Old Peculiar and rounded things off with some 6X and a nice greasy lamb kebab!

Fancy coming to my home town for the Beer festival next year? >

http://www.readingcamra.org.uk/beer_festivals/Reading.asp

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-05-18 11:55 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-05-18 6:49 PM (#24361 - in reply to #24343)

Expert Yogi

Oh no, we did manage a few cozy locals in there. We were only there a week but managed to hit quite a few pubs! My DH got quite picky about wanting only the very oldest places we could find - established in 1700's was just a young pup once we had been in one from the 1500's. We just are not used to that age out here in the wild west. Yes, I would LOVE to do a beer fest sometime, although I must say that our local brew pubs on the west coast do a pretty good job of keeping us in beer and festivals
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-18 9:02 PM (#24365 - in reply to #24294)

Expert Yogi

jeansyoga - 2005-05-17 9:33 PM

Not to give a rah-rah to the fast food places, but don't some of them have some pretty good salads nowadays? Granted, you can't smother them with dressing, but I think they're kinda good without it (I hate salad dressing though, so I'm not a good example). Wendy's even has a little fruit plate. I haven't tried it yet, but sometimes there's just no time to make lunch! Eating a Clif Bar at one's desk is just so unsatisfying. A big bowl of leaves with a little grilled chicken on top isn't so wrong, is it?

Jean,

You haven't lived until you tried a "Zaxby's Salad". We have these restaurants in the South called Zaxby's. I would be starving if we didn't have this place for my days on the road. The salads are so good. They don't call themselves a fast food place and everything is fresh...even though you can get the food very quick and they have a drive thru. The main dishes they serve are Chicken, Chicken fingers, Chicken Zalad and Wings, but they salads are so great and cheap...only $3.49 and its huge....$5.99 if you get chicken fried or grilled. So yes, things are changing...THANK GOD!! I was at Chick fil a the other day and saw they had fruit cups...they were really good. Now McDonalds has one too with Walnuts too. I'm so happy about this, I think its great that restaurants are finally taking some notice about healthier choices for our children. You watch, kids do really love to eat fruits and veggies...its all in the presentation, they will be trashing those nasty fries...although, I really do like to eat fries sometimes with ketchup...especially MY home made ones.

BTW, I only eat HONEY French or Catalina dressing, loved it since I was a kid loaded with cucumbers. Most salad dressings are loaded with MSG if your trying to avoid a headache - especially Ranch which is one of my favorites!! But, Cindy did come out with her own line of fresh organic dressings....Yum, Yum!!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-19 5:31 AM (#24371 - in reply to #24361)

I'm so pleased you managed some 'real' hostelry hospitality

This reminds me of an British archeology program I saw once that was doing a special in the States :

US Digger : "I don't suppose you're used to excavating sites this young?"

Brit Digger : "No, you're right. Most of our 100 year old buildings are still in use".

I'm afraid the ironic tone went right over the head of the US chap

Fee

tourist - 2005-05-19 11:49 PM

Oh no, we did manage a few cozy locals in there. We were only there a week but managed to hit quite a few pubs! My DH got quite picky about wanting only the very oldest places we could find - established in 1700's was just a young pup once we had been in one from the 1500's. We just are not used to that age out here in the wild west. Yes, I would LOVE to do a beer fest sometime, although I must say that our local brew pubs on the west coast do a pretty good job of keeping us in beer and festivals

Edited by Orbilia 2005-05-19 5:33 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)