YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Menstruation and yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

slimbunny
Posted 2005-03-31 5:24 PM (#20765)
Subject: Menstruation and yoga

Hi,

I have just started doing yoga since XMAS and have noticed that my periods have been off since then. The first one was over 10 days late and when it came it was very light and lasted for almost a week. The one before that was cut short when I did yoga (I did not know that I should not do inversions). Then 2 weeks after my late period - I did yoga (headstand) and the next day my period came and it is abnormally strong. What is going on? I have always been regular - 21-25 day cycle - 3/4 day day period.

Thanks,
Slimbunny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-02 11:04 PM (#20992 - in reply to #20765)
Subject: RE: Menstruation and yoga

Expert Yogi

slimbunny - sorry this didn't get answered earlier. It might help to know what and how much you have been practising. Do you use videos or dvds? Books? Classes? I haven't really heard of women having problems from a bit of yoga here and there or even weekly classes. It could also depend on your age, health and other factors. I also haven't heard of periods stopping from inversions, but I do know that varies in individuals. Some of us are just more sensitive to those types of changes which, I suppose is why they recommend we not to inversions while menstruating. You could just be taking time to get back into your normal cycle.
slimbunny
Posted 2005-04-04 10:37 AM (#21075 - in reply to #20992)

Thanks for you advice. Could be that I am extremely sensitive. This time I took it easy. I will make sure not to any twists or inversions next time - or not at all...Looks like that is the time to rest. I was a bit worried but it is finally over.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-12 11:49 AM (#21717 - in reply to #20765)

I've read opposing views on the yoga/menstruation subject, and decided to just keep going for the first couple of months & see what happened.  For me, basically no changes, although I haven't done any intense twists at that time.  I hope it gets straightened out for you.

Here's a link to one of the articles I read - I think it's pretty sensible advice: http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/831_1.cfm

Good luck!

Echo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)