YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quality vs. Certification
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

campesina
Posted 2005-03-29 6:00 PM (#20454)
Subject: Quality vs. Certification

Hi:

I'm considering starting a massage course very soon. I've decided to move out of the States as as soon as a finish my massage program, could be a Caribbean island or Europe. I guess I wont need some or none of the licenses USA requieres to practice MT.

I like New Mexico or AR because of the energy and most of the people who live there are very concious regarding holistic matters.

If I'm not looking for a license as far as quality, can you guys give me some advice?

Thanks
Campesina
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-03-29 9:10 PM (#20487 - in reply to #20454)
Subject: RE: Quality vs. Certification

I highly suggest researching the requirements of massage therapists in ALL of the places you're looking to move to. In this country, not all states require training, some require extensive training, plus the national certification exam, or some kind of state test for licencing. In the US, the best thing for an MT to do, if he or she may be moving to a different state, is to become nationally certified, or else you may not legally be able to find work. Now, for example, even if I were nationally certified in the US, I could not move to Canada and start a massage therapy buisness. Canada requires a bachelor's degree in massage from a university. If you're planning to leave this country, know for sure that whatever training you receive will be recognized in the place you're moving to. If it's not, it may be best to wait until you move to pursue an education in massage therapy. As for "Quality vs. Certification", it's my view that certification equals quality. If you don't go to school, you're not going to be a good therapist. Like anything, if you don't put your all into your education, and dedicate yourself to continuing education, you really will be just "practicing." Massage therapy isn't just a job; it's a lifestyle.
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-03-31 3:19 PM (#20747 - in reply to #20454)

I had the same dilemma when I started performing massage therapy before I completed my certificate.

I found clients respond to your ability as a therapist and not so much to your certification. In fact no one has ever enquired about my certification. I did think studying was beneficial as it gave me the confidence to go forward and massage the world. Having that piece of paper also validates your expertise but in the long-run it's your therapy that defines you as a therapist.

I've also found you get as many brilliant, uncertified massage therapists as you do certifiably useless ones. Be the best of both! (ie: certified + brilliant not uncertified and cseless! )
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-03-31 3:19 PM (#20748 - in reply to #20454)

I had the same dilemma when I started performing massage therapy before I completed my certificate.

I found clients respond to your ability as a therapist and not so much to your certification. In fact no one has ever enquired about my certification. I did think studying was beneficial as it gave me the confidence to go forward and massage the world. Having that piece of paper also validates your expertise but in the long-run it's your therapy that defines you as a therapist.

I've also found you get as many brilliant, uncertified massage therapists as you do certifiably useless ones. Be the best of both! (ie: certified + brilliant not uncertified and cseless! )
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)