YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf Muscle Injury
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Pauly44
Posted 2005-03-26 11:13 AM (#20098)
Subject: Calf Muscle Injury

Hi,
I'm new to this site but would really appreciate some advice on the above problem. I have a problem with my calf muscles in that a few years ago I used to do a bit of jogging but kept getting cramp in the calf muscle. I started doing yoga about two years ago which I do at home using a Barbara Currie video. I do about twenty minutes every morning then another 15 minutes of rowing machine and exercise bike. The problem is about two weeks ago, when with my son watching him play football, I turned to get the ball and experienced a sharp pain in the middle of my right calf (not the usual cramp pain I used to get). I found it very difficult to walk for the first few days afterward but eventually everything was back to normal(or so I thought). Twelve days after the first injury I went to run across the road and bang, same again, except this time I could not walk at all due to the severe pain when putting pressure on this leg. What I would like to know is there any exercise in yoga that would benefit me in getting rid of this problem, or am I causing more damage. Although I love doing yoga I am really an amateur at it and any input from other more knowledgable members would be greatly appreciated. Also, advice on different types of yoga, yoga instructors and healing/beneficial foods to feed the organs /muscles. What is a reasonable amount of yoga to do every day? I do about 20-25 minutes. Thank You. Paul J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
notsoflexible
Posted 2005-03-26 11:49 AM (#20101 - in reply to #20098)
Subject: RE: Calf Muscle Injury

Have you had it looked at? Sounds like an Achilles injury to me.
Pauly44
Posted 2005-03-26 12:06 PM (#20104 - in reply to #20098)

Hi,
I went to the doctor after the first time but not much help. It's to do with the muscle gastro??? something or other which is in the middle of my calf so pretty sure it's nothing to do with the lower muscle near te achilles. Paul
tourist
Posted 2005-03-26 12:29 PM (#20109 - in reply to #20104)

Expert Yogi

Gastrocnemius probably. It sounds like something related to the digestive system, doesn't it? I would suggest a massage therapist. Sounds like you have a tear or a huge knot in there. We usually suggest Iyengar or Anusara classes if they are available in your area.
Pauly44
Posted 2005-03-26 12:48 PM (#20114 - in reply to #20098)

Thanks for the info Glenda but I don't know if they have them types of yoga over here in the UK, I've never heard of them. Can any UK citizens advise?
tourist
Posted 2005-03-26 6:36 PM (#20132 - in reply to #20114)

Expert Yogi

Ah - you may not have Anusara but you do have Iyengar, for sure. The UK was very supportive of BKS Iyengar when he was beginning to teach internationally. I had to do a bit of searching when I visited a couple of years ago but the teachers are there!
Pauly44
Posted 2005-03-27 7:53 AM (#20166 - in reply to #20098)

Ok thanks I'll look it up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)