YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ayurvedic Birth Control?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Smilla
Posted 2005-03-25 11:15 AM (#20028)
Subject: Ayurvedic Birth Control?

what is Ayurvedic Birth Control? I have never heard about it before. Anyone that got some internettpage about it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-27 11:56 PM (#20266 - in reply to #20028)
Subject: RE: Ayurvedic Birth Control?

Ayurveda does NOT advise birth control. And, therefore, there can not be any Ayurvedic birth control. It is like saying Yogic drinking, which can not exist.

Now, Ayurveda explains Celebacy which automatically gives no birth to a child. But, that is not a birth control. That is Sex control.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-28 8:19 AM (#20282 - in reply to #20028)

lovely neel!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-28 12:13 PM (#20300 - in reply to #20266)

Expert Yogi

Perfect reply Neel! Although I am sure someone has a system they'll call Ayurvedic just because it is trendy sounding. If they add "Tantric" to the name they'll get more customers, I'm sure...
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-28 2:22 PM (#20314 - in reply to #20028)

Of course, I do not have to use any birth control, whether Ayurvedic, Tantric or Yogic. Because, I am a man!!!!

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-28 2:56 PM (#20317 - in reply to #20028)

This comes closest to saying what I want to say to your last post, Neel!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-28 3:17 PM (#20324 - in reply to #20317)

Expert Yogi

I think he means he never has to worry personally about giving birth - can't happen. Trying to write funny things that are understandable to everyone certainly gives me even more respect for comedians. Tough gig!
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-28 3:52 PM (#20326 - in reply to #20028)

Tourist, I knew exactly what he meant...And I still feel the same! Too many men have that exact opinion - it's not a problem they can physcially have, so they don't worry about it!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-28 8:39 PM (#20354 - in reply to #20326)

Expert Yogi

I hear ya Lora I did have a conversation about this with my dear son one day. I hope he remembers it!

Posted 2005-07-08 2:35 PM (#26986 - in reply to #20028)

i know that this is a really old post stream, but i thought i'd put an idea out there.

i don't know if the OP was looking for something specifically ayurvedic, but i'm going to extrapolate that out to mean "natural" forms of birth control.

many people today use chemical (hormonal) methods of birth control which has lots of potential problems and side effects. like other drugs, people want 'all natural' alternatives, and may turn to their favorite system of alternatives to find one (chinese traditional medicine, ayurveda, etc). basicly, sometimes people are looking for herbal birth control. There are herbs that work fairly well, but they also have some side effects and aren't as effective as western, medical birth control drugs.

An entirely natural option is the method called Fertility Awareness Method. Before anyone confuses it with Rhythm Method, FAM is a method by which a woman charts and observes her daily ferility arisings to determine whether or not she is fertile. IF she is fertile, then she can use a barrier contraception or abstain from sex during that time. if she isn't fertile, then she can have sex without worry about whether or not she'll concieve--because she isn't fertile (no egg means no conception; egg and no sperm means no conception!). FAM has the same success rate as the birth control pill if the rules of FAM are followed diligently.

to learn more about FAM, i recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility and Garden of Fertility.
bluefin
Posted 2005-09-14 12:06 AM (#31784 - in reply to #20028)

For researchers at India's National Institute of Immunology it is a medical coup of sorts. The institute has developed a herbal contraceptive which is being termed as a wonder pill for women wanting to delay childbirth.

It has taken over three years for the project to bear results. Back in 1997 the Department of Family Welfare set up a 'Special Task Force' comprising experts from the country's premier medical research institutes. The research has resulted in considerable optimism that the drug would be available in the market by 2001.

Currently, rigorous clinical trials are underway in the four centres at Chandigarh, New Delhi, Pondicherry and Mumbai. These are part of the project to standardise the newly developed drug funded by the Department of Family Welfare and monitored by the Central Council of Research in Ayurveda and Siddha.

The drug is a combination of fruits of two rare plants found in the Himalayan ranges---'Pippalyadi Vati' (scientific name embelia ribes) and 'Vidanga' (piper longam)---mixed with borax powder.

The contraceptive properties of these two plants have been known to Ayurvedic practitioners over the ages and find mention in the Susruta Samhita, the ancient Indian Ayurvedic treatise.

The process to re-discover the 3,000 year old drug began way back in the sixties but it had to be shelved mid-way due to non-availability of funds and infrastructure.

Three decades later, in 1997, work re-started on the project once it was ascertained that there would be no side- effects of the pill. Besides costing far less than any other chemical contraceptive, it is believed to be far more potent.

The drug has a promising export market as people the world over are switching over to alternative branches of medicines.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-14 8:04 AM (#31807 - in reply to #31784)

Expert Yogi

Thank you Bluefin, I've been trying to find this information out for a long time!! Once I had a Tibetan couple from India ask me to try to locate this herbal formula here in the states. I had NO luck whatsoever. They called it Ayurvedic Birth Control..I had nothing else to go on. Glad to know I wasn't going nuts looking for something that barely existed. I will pass this information along. Is it available here in the states??

Posted 2005-09-14 3:34 PM (#31853 - in reply to #20028)

thanks bluefin!

i'd also like to point out that these sorts of herbal methods can also have great side effects, so use them wisely.
bluefin
Posted 2005-09-27 12:33 AM (#33032 - in reply to #20028)

i know something about it that the drug is a combination of fruits of two rare plants found in the Himalayan ranges---'Pippalyadi Vati' (scientific name embelia ribes) and 'Vidanga' (piper longam)---mixed with borax powder.

The contraceptive properties of these two plants have been known to Ayurvedic practitioners over the ages and find mention in the Susruta Samhita, the ancient Indian Ayurvedic treatise.
JennyKent
Posted 2011-09-20 12:07 AM (#209256 - in reply to #20028)
Subject: Re: Ayurvedic Birth Control?

There are also birth control methods that protect women against sexually transmitted diseases. They are a good option for women who don't have a stable partner or who do not know their partner well enough.

Edited by JennyKent 2011-09-20 12:08 AM
jpg
Posted 2011-09-20 1:40 PM (#209262 - in reply to #33032)

bluefin - 2005-09-27 12:33 AM

i know something about it that the drug is a combination of fruits of two rare plants found in the Himalayan ranges---'Pippalyadi Vati' (scientific name embelia ribes) and 'Vidanga' (piper longam)---mixed with borax powder.

The fact that there are more than a billion people in India is proof how well Ayurvedic birth control works.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)