YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

H20: Staying Hydrated
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-21 2:31 PM (#19728)
Subject: H20: Staying Hydrated

Alright, I'll start off by apologizing for the randomness of the post, but I this is something that's been on my mind and I'd like to get some thoughts from you guys:

During the week, I try to drink the standard 8-12 glasses of water a day. I've got a water bottle that I keep filled and sip on it all day. Which is what you are suppose to do! I feel like I am still always thirsty and also I am always going to the bathroom (I'm talking once every 45-60 minutes). Its annoying, but I can live with it.

My frustration is that I practice Ashtanga in the evenings, and I have stopped bringing water bottles to class as I read that its counter to the heat you are building inside. So I try to drink extra water before class....but it seems then I'll have to "go" in the middle of class, which then throw everything off. I probably will move my practice to the mornings in the next few weeks (trying to gear myself up for waking up soooooo early!) so maybe this little annoyance will pass.

I don't pay enough attention to my diet to really notice a difference if I am thirstier after some meals. But it seems pretty constant. Obviously if I drink alcohol (a couple times a week) I'll drink more water. I know that I am not diabetic nor do I have a thyroid problem and I am not on any medication (except the pill). I do live in the Northeast, which is extremely dry.

Anyway, thanks for reading and appreciate any thoughts!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-21 4:04 PM (#19732 - in reply to #19728)
Subject: RE: H20: Staying Hydrated

Expert Yogi

I'd say your bladder and kidney's are telling you to lay off the water:~) Seriously, have you ever heard of drinking too much water or not drinking enough at the appropriate times?? I know that they say to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but the reality of that is well, not always correct. According to Chinese theory is not necessary for every BODY and more necessary for certain people based on their bodies individual needs and consititution. You can also get water from other sources besides water and drinks. Some foods have water in them and those count too. Foods such as but not limited to, fruits - watermelon, apples, and even vegetables - cucumbers, tomatoes have water in them. Also some vegetables and fruit can make you either retain water or disturb your bladder which would make you have the need to urinate too frequently. The way to understand that is to learn the medicinal value of the foods and produce you eat. You should monitor your intake and output and if your kidney's and bladder are working overtime, that is not good either - I would cut it back. Also, try not to drink a lot of fluids after 6pm as a rule, and especially before bedtime. The Kidney and Bladder time clock for a human body is between 3-5 pm for the Bladder, and 5 to 7 pm for the kidney organ. This is when this organ is at it's peak...and when you should avoid taking excessive amounts of water in for the kidney and bladder - reason, the kidney and bladder are related to the water element. The kidney and bladder need to do their subtle metabolic functions. What I'm telling you is only related to the kidneys and bladder, you should also learn the body's internal peak times for the other organs which are all related to each other's function. Are you confused yet?? Hope this helps some.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-21 4:18 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-03-21 6:46 PM (#19738 - in reply to #19728)

Expert Yogi

You're really, really sure you aren't diabetic? How about urinary tract infection? Once those check out, I would have to agree with Cyndi - just too much for your system.
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-21 7:02 PM (#19740 - in reply to #19728)

I agree with the above two. Im not sure what your food consumption is, but water can be brought from various foods as well.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-21 7:38 PM (#19742 - in reply to #19738)

Expert Yogi

Did you know that Diabeties is related to the Kidney, according to Chinese Medicine theory?? You could get a diagnois of Diabeties or you may get a diagnosis that is completely normal. The fact is still you have a kidney problem that should be addressed. A Kidney problem in TCM is not life threatening if caught very early, getting to the diabetic stage is even treatable in TCM. Another words, a low functioning kidney or one that is out of balance is very easily treated without having to go to the extreme of Diabetic. Sounds like you have a simple kidney related issue that is very subtle and you probably should get it checked somehow and then start working from a diet and lifestyle angle. If your kidneys are out of balance, it could also mean that your liver is too, since they are related and help each other function. I know this sounds very technical. I would rather understand how my body works and functions and do natural healing methods, rather than something totally invasive and only is a bandaid for the real underlying problem - which is something modern medicine is real good at doing. The human body system is very powerful and there are ways of treating the body so that it can heal on its own. It probably is a minor thing you got going on, in fact I almost bet on it. Good luck.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-21 7:40 PM
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-21 10:14 PM (#19751 - in reply to #19728)

Drinking too much water...who woulda thunk it?

I notice the "annoyance" during the day when I am pretty much sitting at my desk with my water bottle. I am thirsty alot...but its possible that I am not getting water from enough "non-water" sources...like the veggies/fruit.

I am fairly certain that I don't have diabetes...I bloodwork done a year ago to check out a bunch of things and they all came back OK. I'm still pretty young, not overweight and diabetes doesn't run in my family. HOWEVER, I know my diet could be improved. I have been reading the forums on healthy eating tips, though :wink !

What are some good resources for looking up how to straighten myself out?
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-22 3:07 AM (#19766 - in reply to #19751)

tigrsunam - 2005-03-23 12:14 PM

Drinking too much water...who woulda thunk it?

What are some good resources for looking up how to straighten myself out?

the best resource is not on the net - it is your doctor

if you check out healthy, stop drinking water 1-2 hours before class. and start eating fruits and veggies
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-22 4:14 AM (#19770 - in reply to #19751)

The thirst could also be due to hidden sources of salt. 'Ready meals' often contain a lot of salt as preservative and to hide the quality of the other ingredients. So much so that there is quite a campaign in the UK at the moment to remove salt and fat from pre-prepared meals. The industry is responding. If you don't always have the time to cook from raw, look for those 'ready meals' marked as heathy option or similar as they usually cut the salt level in these as well as the fat and sugar.

Another possibility is that you have a thyroid imbalance. Do you have any other 'nagging' symptoms, perhaps constant tiredness?

Fee
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-22 12:13 PM (#19786 - in reply to #19728)

Ugh. I hate the doctor. It just seems that every time I go she tells me that I am fine and so I just end of feeling like a hypochondriac!! I do stress out about the possibility of having some type of condition (Diabetes, Thyroid imbalance, Kidney), but aren't those things that a healthy lifestyle can combat anyway? I mean, at least in my case which wouldn't be serious??

Now, i know that I SHOULD go to the doctor and probably will soon just to make sure and also for some other reasons (plantars wart....OUCH). I have insurance, so I don't have anything to really worry about in that regard.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-22 8:15 PM (#19827 - in reply to #19786)

Expert Yogi

Diabetes, Thyroid imbalance, Kidney, but aren't those things that a healthy lifestyle can combat anyway?

Well, yes and no. Certainly a healthy lifestyle can help prevent some of those things but sometimes they just getcha. If you have a growth on your thyroid, no amount of clean living is going to help. I have been quite surprised to hear about some very health conscious individuals who developed diabetes as well. Their good health habits helped them a ton, but they were still diabetic.

As for the wart - I hear putting some duct tape over it for several weeks is the best cure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)