YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

muscles
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Lndsluvsyou
Posted 2005-03-21 12:08 PM (#19725)
Subject: muscles

hi,

i have a question. and partially its about yoga. im a rockclimber and a long distance runner, and i eat super healthy, i feel really sore all the time, and yoga seems to be the cause of it.what kind of things should i do, like icing? i have been doing yoga daily for just about 4 months now, bikram that is..and i only do rockclimbing 2 days a week.and also i have gained so much muscle how do you think i can slim down a notch and have less muscle. thanks again
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-03-21 1:21 PM (#19726 - in reply to #19725)
Subject: RE: muscles

Linds,
I can only address the soreness aspect of your concern. I've been practicing yoga for two years and am still sore most times because I'm always trying to get into the different poses (asanas) better and more deeply. Four months of Bikram probably has you doing similar--look at the half-moon posture--your instructor is probably always saying, "Come down and push, push, push."
tourist
Posted 2005-03-21 6:50 PM (#19739 - in reply to #19725)

Expert Yogi

I can't figure out what would make someone want to do something that makes them feel that sore all the time. But then as yogis go, I am a bit of a lazy slug. I would suggest you either cut down on your classes or try another form of yoga and see how that works for you.

Posted 2005-03-21 7:17 PM (#19741 - in reply to #19739)

Glenda--we hurt ourselves cause we're a) guys b) hungry for excellence in asana.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-22 10:14 AM (#19781 - in reply to #19741)

Expert Yogi

Oh I get that part Bruce! But as someone who lives with a multi-sport nut who has been known to train obsessively, I know it is possible to train a LOT and not have sore muscles all the time. I mean, this guy has done Ironman, 3 day adventure races and plenty of other stuff and has for sure had times when he was achey, had sore legs/arms/feet or whatever for periods of time, but never to my knowledge has been "sore all the time" in the way that I think this person is saying. I personally walked down the stairs clutching my coffee pretty carefully this morning due to last night's class (you would have hated it BTW - at least the first part. We started in savasana...) but I wouldn't contemplate doing enough classes or home practices in a week to keep that soreness going. No fun!

The second part of our class started with a 10 minute headstand. What is your feeling on long holdings of poses, Bruce?
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-22 12:44 PM (#19796 - in reply to #19725)

I had the EXACT same problem about 3 years ago. I was doing marathon training, climbing, doing yoga, and weight lifting. Your muscles are overtrained. (I was overtrained for about 5 months before I finally gave my body a break and changed my training schedule.) Look up overtraining on some running websites. . . . I'll bet you have a lot of the classic symptoms!

Re-evaluate your training schedule. Considering the intensity of your long runs and your climbing, you don't really need to do a vigorous yoga practice every day. Cut back on the number of days per week you do Bikram, and consider adding a more gentle/ restorative yoga practice on the days you don't do a vigorous practice. Try focusing the gentle practice days on flexibility rather than strength. Hold GENTLE stretches and postures for longer periods of time, and really focus on your breath in the postures. Also, practicing daily pranayama will help with both muscle soreness and lung capacity.
Lndsluvsyou
Posted 2005-03-22 6:44 PM (#19821 - in reply to #19725)

thankyou so much yoga chick and everyone. you guys have been a big help. so u think i should do yoga every other day? it seems its realy getting me buff like the running and everything else i dont really like it.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-22 8:18 PM (#19828 - in reply to #19821)

Expert Yogi

If you don't like yoga, don't do it. If you don't like the style you are doing, make a switch. Since you have other physical activities, find a yoga class that you can do for relaxation or fun or spiritual development. Don't waste time doing something you don't like.
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-22 10:56 PM (#19838 - in reply to #19821)

If you don't want to build any more bulk in your muscles, you may just want to explore other (less vigorous) types of yoga. Maybe look into a restorative yoga class, or try Iyengar or Anasura. I'm guessing that a slower, more gentle practice will be hard for you since your are into more intense and challenging physical activity.

Another thing about building unwanted muscle tone is genetics. You may have a body that puts on muscle easily and natrually shows a lot of definition.

Do you wanna trade genes?? I WISH that my workout routine made me "accidentally" get too buff!
Lndsluvsyou
Posted 2005-03-23 1:46 AM (#19849 - in reply to #19725)

i think it is in the genes i hate it. im doing less running now, and less rockclimbing. i limited down to 2 days a week, i feel less sore tho
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)