YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Favorite treats!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-17 8:59 PM (#19394)
Subject: Favorite treats!

Okay everyone, some of the food discussions are getting a little bit serious. I would love to know what is your absolute, hands down FAVORITE treat in the whole wide world! Ice cream sundae? Meat lovers pizza? Mom's famous fried catfish?

The one rule is, you can't detract from your treat by saying anything like "I know it's terrible for me but" or "It has a million calories but" or "It slams my arteries shut" or even "I normally eat just perfectly but". The rule is, enjoy it completely, even just describing it on here!

One of my favorite treats that I haven't had in the longest time is from a little micro-brewery in my hometown. They would take a small sub roll and open it up, then put on artichokes, spinach, and mushrooms. Apply pesto on top of that, then sprinkle LIBERALLY with mozzarella. Pop into the pizza oven for a few minutes until the cheese gets bubbly. Consume with a large mug of their home-brewed Raspberry Ale. DELICIOUS!!!

There's got to be some good chocolate stories out there! Come on, make us hungry! And don't feel guilty!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-17 9:45 PM (#19398 - in reply to #19394)
Subject: RE: Favorite treats!

Expert Yogi

My Mama's Southern Fried Chicken...its Soul Food from the South!!! Before she died, she passed the recipe to me...yum yum For dessert, homemade Peach Vanilla Ice Cream that you sit out on the front porch and churn by hand for what seems like many hours...you burn the calories from the Chicken so you can eat the ice cream. Then you take a long afternoon nap, wake up and have a belly washing glass of southern Sweeeaaaat Tea!!

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-17 9:45 PM
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 10:20 PM (#19409 - in reply to #19394)

Hahah, refer to my post on the Green Tea thread for my favorite Southern treats. Now, to narrow it down to one? I think I would have to say Oreos. I almost never eat them, becuase I will literally devour an entire bag in 10 minutes - solo - and then end up with a belly ache (definietely not due to a whole it's bad for you thing). I And you know how they have the little bags with about 4 cookies? I once went back to the store (4 blocks away) 5 times just to keep going. So I don't do it - but when I need it bad I go to the frozen yogurt place down the block and get a treat similar to a Dairy Queen Blizzard - theirs is aptly titled "The Mess" and you can put whatever you want in it. I get vanilla "whipped air" (as my friend who scoffs at anything less than real ice cream calls it) with Heath Bar and Oreo blended in. The chunkier the better!
Great thread by the way - it'll provide us all with inspiration the next time we need a fix!
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 10:23 PM (#19411 - in reply to #19394)

Oooooh - just thought of another. The old school McDonald's hot fudge sundae - when it used to come in the ridged plastic cup so the fudge melted down and went all the way through, and got all slushy and soupy at the bottom and they could still put nuts on top without risking a lawsuit. Just thinking about it makes me not care about run-on sentences and punctuation!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-18 10:21 AM (#19437 - in reply to #19411)

Expert Yogi

Treats? Let me count the ways....

Honestly, one of my favourite post-yoga treats came from when I had just started taking classes. I would finish class then go to pick up my daughter at her dance class which was right by a McD's. I had about 30 minutes to wait (not time to go homw) and I got into the habit of having a Mcfish and fries while I waited. Now every once in a while when I finish class or especially a workshop for some reason (I think because workshops make me feel sooo much like a beginner again?) I just crave that darn fishburger! And now and then I cave and get one

Most decadent, most often given-in-to treat: Haagen Daz Dulce de Leche. OMG! And it doesn't even have chocolate! I once tried to eat a whole pint and froze my mouth so well I could have had a root canal and not felt it....
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-18 10:45 AM (#19443 - in reply to #19437)

Strangely enough I've always wondered if McD is addictive as the ordinary cheeseburger is the same for me. I manage to resist going anywhere near a McD for months on priciple and then, out of left field, I *must* have a McD cheeseburger. Go figure?!

Fee

Posted 2005-03-18 11:08 AM (#19446 - in reply to #19443)

Post yoga treat is Guinness--cool, creamy, restorative. Besides tasting mighty fine, Guinness reduces clotting activity in the blood (American Heart Association). Also, antioxidant compounds in Guinness, similar to those found in fruits and vegetables slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls. In Ireland, post-operative patients are given Guinness, as are blood donors, because of its high iron content.

Does this count even though is also my favorite pre-yoga treat?

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-18 1:48 PM (#19477 - in reply to #19394)

Of course it counts! I was wondering what to get my husband for a treat, since he has been Mr. Supportive and Helpful during my convalescence - a Guinness may be just the ticket! And now that I know it's good for him, gosh, it would be downright irresponsible NOT to buy him a 6-pack!

McD's does have that certain something . . . every now and then I just gotta have one of those 99-cent double cheeseburgers! There's a McD's near my office that makes them extra salty and they're soooo divine. Now that I type it, salty burger does not sound that appetizing! But it is, it really is!

Posted 2005-03-18 2:22 PM (#19482 - in reply to #19477)

Just know to buy the cans vice the bottles--that way he gets the USDA allotment of iron and antioxidants PLUS, the wigit in the can gives good head (don't go there).
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-18 4:40 PM (#19490 - in reply to #19394)

Put me down for spam & wonderbread sammiches, Jean.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-18 7:00 PM (#19500 - in reply to #19446)

Expert Yogi

Sooo sad that Guinness gives me heartburn! It is good stuff, alright. Luckily, we have some great microbreweries that make lovely, nutty and flavourful smooth dark beers that fill that craving. I had never tried a dark beer until several years ago when I was in one of the microbrew pub/restaurants and had an idle moment to read the menu. They described their dark beer as "chocolatey" - an invitation to try it if ever I heard one! I asked the waitress if it really was or was it just menu hyperbole and she brought me a (very nice sized) free taster. By golly it DID taste chocolatey! I was an instant convert They don't have that lovely bitterness of a Guinness but I don't spend the evening in agony - always a good sign...
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-18 9:25 PM (#19508 - in reply to #19394)

Our microbrew in town has one called Pappy's Porch-Sippin Porter that is kind of chocolatey and kind of coffee-tasting. Those don't sound like tastes that are compatible with beer, but it's soooo awesome. I think I might be too girly for Guinness, though! Don't get me wrong, I love beer, but I'm kind of a wimpy light American beer drinker. I went head over heels when Rolling Rock came out with a light variety! It's delicious!

You know what's weird about spam (I've actually never tried it, so I don't know if it tastes good or not), is that the first ingredient is "Pork with ham." What the heck is ham, if it isn't pork? This spam is a mysterious product indeed. Who knows, with 790mg of sodium per 2 oz serving, I'd probably love it - I do enjoy a salty entree. Maybe I just need a salt lick at my desk, like the kind you put out for deer. I can't tell you how many naked pretzels I've thrown away because I bit off all the salt cubes, and after that the pretzel was no good to me.
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-18 10:57 PM (#19532 - in reply to #19394)

i am in the land of amazing food - how can i pick just one?

lately i have been thinking i sound like a "born again eater!" seriously, i think i need to lighten up a little with the health food.

i am going to go with comfort food:

honestly, my sin is pizza. like lora with the oreos, i can eat an entire medium veg pizza - but i must have green chili sauce or i dont want it....and to wash it down - a nice cold beer! no guiness for this girl or i wouldnt have room for the pizza! i am a "super dry" girl
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-19 10:10 AM (#19555 - in reply to #19394)

Chalk another one up for Guiness here! The best I've had so far was in an Irish pub, with an Irish waiter, on the hottest freakin' day of the year in Boston while I was on vacation. And of course I rounded that out with a good dose of Shephard's Pie.

When I'm looking for something a little lighter, though, but still want the great head (yes I know) Boddington's is a good bet. They've got the widgit in the can as well, thank god, because it's hard as heck to find a bar that has it on draught around here! But it's worth the hunt.

Posted 2005-03-19 7:04 PM (#19592 - in reply to #19555)

Boddington's is a lovely brew but on tap it is difficult in the States--however Lora, Old Speckled Hen is oft on tap and wunderbar.
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-19 10:17 PM (#19611 - in reply to #19394)

Another Guinness fan here! One treat that my husband and I came up with on the day I ran my first half-marathon: A chocolate ice cream and Guinness float! (Our own grown-up twist on the old "A & W Root Beer Float.") It sounds strange, but it is really yummy!
sirensong2
Posted 2005-03-20 2:23 AM (#19624 - in reply to #19611)

i'm a "salty snack" person..gladly take a second( or third) helping of something delicious and pass on desert.

my favorite treat recently is from my elementary school days.. a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup! perfect for March in new england.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 11:13 AM (#19650 - in reply to #19624)

Expert Yogi

Mmmmmm - grilled cheese! My kids used to call them "girl" cheese because some other little friends thought that's what it was called. Of course uncooked cheese sandwiches then became "boy" cheese I do crave them made with real "plastic" processed cheese sometimes. A weirdness in our house is that, aside from the tomato soup, we also had ketchup to dip the sandwich in. A relative of mine regularly overcooked (almost to the point of burning) our grilled cheeses and so she let us have ketchup to cover the burnt taste. It is the only thing I ever have ketchup on. Chips (french fries) get salt and malt vinegar.
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-20 9:01 PM (#19687 - in reply to #19394)

oooh i forgot about girl cheese sandwiches!!! they absolutely must be a little black and covered in heinz tomato ketchup

now you have me thinking of tuna melts as well....the good old days!
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-20 11:16 PM (#19695 - in reply to #19394)

Yum! Never thought to try it with ketchup! Every now and again I'll have a grown-up version with a tomato added, but the ketchup sounds much better. Definitely agree on the color, though - dark brown to black is a must! Add pub fries with malt vinegar, a Guiness, and I think we might be on to something! That might have to be my next dinner party!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)