YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

let discuss green tea
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-03-13 10:41 PM (#18997)
Subject: let discuss green tea

Green Tea

The Japanese, in particular, drink green tea daily as their national beverage.

Scientific data on the health benefits of green tea is abundant. The scientific interest in green tea was triggered in the 1970s when some Japanese scientists made the observation that the people in Shizuoka had much lower rates of stomach cancer than other Japanese. Subsequent in-depth studies showed that the population of Shizuoka actually had much lower rates of ALL types of cancer. It did not take long to suspect that green tea had something to do with this surprising fact since the people of Shizuoka are known to drink more green tea than in any other part of Japan.

What determines whether green tea remains green or becomes black tea is the process of fermentation. Most tea-producing countries ferment their tea leaves to make either oolong or black tea. By contrast, the Japanese do not ferment the tea leaves but steam them right after they have been picked. The activity of the fermenting enzyme is thereby stopped, and the tea leaves remain green. This is important because researchers have found that the fermentation of tea leaves makes them lose their medicinal powers.

Health Benefits of Green Tea

1. Active Ingredients in Green Tea

Polyphenols: These are very strong antioxidants, and a subgroup of these polyphenols is the catechin family, unique to green tea, which includes epicatechin (EC), epicatechin gallate (ECG), epigallocatechin (EGC), and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). This last polyphenol is the most important in terms of what health benefits green tea produces, as explained below.

Scientists have found several thousand polyphenols, which may be classified mainly as follows:

Flavonoids - found in green tea, grapes, eggplants, blueberries, buckwheat, etc.
Catechins - found mostly in green tea
Tannic acid - found in persimmons, green tea, red wine, etc.
Quercetin - found in red wine, cocoa, onions, broccoli, apples, etc.
Anthocyanin - found in strawberries, grapes, eggplants, etc.
Isoflavones - found in legumes such as soybeans, lima beans, etc.

It should be noted here that polyphenols in plants are often contained abundantly in their skins; in this way, nature protects the plants from free radicals caused by ultraviolet radiation. This simply means that one should always eat the skins of eggplants, apples, grapes, etc.

Nutrients: Green tea contains vitamins, particularly a large amount of vitamin C, minerals (fluoride, in particular), amino acids (especially theanine). Although vitamin C is very sensitive to heat, a large amount remains in a hot cup of tea. Black tea, on the other hand, contains only one-tenth as much vitamin C because it was destroyed during the fermentation process.

As mentioned, green tea also contains fluoride which is a mineral that helps prevent cavities. This fact has been known in Japan for a long time, and, still today, Japanese children are encouraged to drink a cup or two of green tea after a mean to cultivate strong and healthy teeth. In this respect, recent studies have made it clear that the polyphenols in green tea, in particular EGCG, control the enzymes of the streptococcus bacteria which stimulate the formation of plaque.

Caffeine: Green tea does have caffeine, but its caffeine content is only about a third of what black tea has and a fourth to a fifth of the caffeine content of coffee. In addition, the tannic acid of green tea, which is a part of the polyphenol group, causes the body to absorb the caffeine at a slower rate over a long period of time; the effect of the caffeine on the body is thus much less brutal.

For people who are overly sensitive to caffeine, there is always "bancha" which is known to have an extremely low caffeine content. However, "bancha" is not as tasty as regular green tea, and it is often offered in the form of "hojicha" (roasted green tea) or "genmaicha" (a mixture of "bancha" and fire-toasted rice). Both these types of tea are delicious, especially to "aficionados" who love a pronounced flavor in their tea.

2. The Incredible Effects of EGCG in Green Tea

Scientists throughout the world have found that epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in green tea is a polyphenol which has the following astonishing health benefits: it can

Kill viruses
Prevent heart attacks
Block the development of cancer
Lower the sugar level in a diabetic's blood
Prevent tooth decay and cavities

Luckily for green tea drinkers, EGCG accounts for more than 50 percent of all the catechins in green tea; up to about 30 percent of green tea's dry weight is the catechin content. Black tea, by contrast, has only about 10 percent.

How Much Green Tea You Should Drink to Get its Health Benefits?

Researchers in Japan have found that you will get all the health benefits of green tea by drinking at least one quart (liter) of hot or cold green tea a day. To maximize the health effect of green tea, however, it is strongly recommended that you drink at lease one cup (5 oz) about ten minutes before a meal and another cup during the meal. This is to ensure that the catechins put into your body will protect it with all their health-giving powers from any harmful substance that happens to be present in a meal.

Studies in Shizuoka have also discovered that the health benefits of green tea are dose-dependent, that is, the more green tea you drink the more benefits you receive.

Another aspect of green tea drinking is that it has been associated very closely with meditation, as in the Japanese tea ceremony, so if one acquires a serious habit of drinking green tea, one tends to become more meditative and therefore less hurried in life, which causes one to eat more slowly and consume a smaller amount of food.

Furthermore, green tea drinking has many soothing psychological effects, a fact which is often ignored. When one takes the time to prepare a delicious cup of tea, one tends to slow down and become more calm. Also, the distinct and delicate taste of green tea curves the appetite for sweets or fatty foods in mysterious ways. In fact, a number of studies have shown that people who prefer green tea to black tea or coffee tend to eat more low-fat and healthy dishes.

Special notice to all green tea drinkers: The latest research has shown that green tea should not be brewed with boiling water, because really hot water tends to cluster the catechins of green tea too large for the intestines to absorb them. So use hot water that is at most about 85 deg. C or 185 deg. F.

oh yeah....you can put it in your banana smoothies
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gracie
Posted 2005-03-13 11:44 PM (#19006 - in reply to #18997)
Subject: RE: let discuss green tea

I just started trying to drink a cup of green tea every day. I sip it and make it last for an hour, so the caffeine doesn't make me crazy. I got the Yogi Tea (anti-aging formula ) Green tea packets, but they never taste as good as the kind they serve at Asian restaurants. Is it better to drink tea from loose leaves or a tea bag, or does it not matter?
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-14 3:36 AM (#19009 - in reply to #18997)

Kira , Ive learnt that Green tea is originaly from China .. not from Japan.. any way Im not too sure... Its more closer to the chinese culture.. Anyway

I drink pure green tea before go to bed .. It helps relaxing.. and burning extra fat too.. and if you can just put 2 green tea bags to the bath tub to soak in watter, you can do a "Green tea Aroma bath "
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 8:41 AM (#19019 - in reply to #19006)

Expert Yogi

Hi Gracie,

The green tea in the Chinese Restaurants are usually Oolong's. That is what makes them taste good - they are naturally sweet and fermented. Not to burst your bubble about tea...but Most of the Chinese Restaurants in America use the cheapest and lower quality tea for their customers. The reason I know all this is because I have so many Chinese and Taiwanese friends in this business. I also have a good friend who actually is a restaurant supplier, I cringed one day walking in her warehouse looking at all the MSG laden stuff and the way they packed the food items...Worse than American processed foods. My daughter freaked when she saw a 50 gallon drum labeled MSG.

Now, if you want good Green Tea. Go to Teavana. They have a website and if your in one of the big cities go to the big mall where they are usually located...they have several in Atlanta. The Jasmine Pheonix Pearls are my favorite and is the best Green Tea on the market. It is expensive, it costs $12 for every 2 ounces. But, you can infuse (using the same leaves) it all day long for as many times as you like. These are hand rolled leaves. Do NOT boil the water, it takes out the medicinal properties of the Green Tea. What I would do is boil the water and let it sit for 5-10 mins. I also have a Zojirushi Hot water dispenser that has a temp. control - this is a very handy dandy thing if your like me and have a fetish for tea. Another good one if you like the Chinese Restaurant tea, is called Monkey Picked Oolong. It is even more expensive (like $25 per 2 oz.) but it is fermented and you don't need to sweeten it, unless you really like your tea sweet - its great!

Some other good brands of tea are Numi and Republic of Tea. You can find these at Earthfare's and Whole Foods. Probably small stores carry these too. Yogi Tea is really good too in the bags. I just like to use the loose tea for full flavor and benefits and because I've become a connoisseur of Tea. I use bagged tea when I'm traveling and the above mentioned ones I have on hand all the time. My son likes Numi Jasmine Green Tea. He also likes Teavana because it is located across from the Apple Store. He says they taste similar. But, he always has that Teavana cup in his hand when he's been to the mall.

If anyone is in NYC....Chinatown has a store on Canal Street, its at 200 Canal Street. Called the Kam Man Food Products. Its a cool store with everything!! They have the best prices for tea, located in the lower level. They have all the cool Japenese cups and accessories and the tea that I like the Jasmine Pearls are almost half the price per ounce. Happy Tea Drinking. This morning I am having Vanilla Bean Milk Chai. This is black tea flavored with Vanilla. I make it the traditional Tibetan way by boiling the tea leaves, then adding German Rock Sugar and Whole Milk, bring to another boil - watching very closeley so that it doesn't boil over, just boil it till the milk rises to get that froth...very nice:~) The Nepalis and Indians have wonderful tasting chai too - they mainly use black teas and they are granular.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-14 8:48 AM
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-14 10:44 AM (#19031 - in reply to #18997)

Cyndi - thanks for the heads-up on the NYC tea. I'm going in May and will have to stock up at that store!

For a good travelling fruity tea I'm currently obsessed with Tazo's Passion flavor. It's a great conversation starter as well - people can smell it for miles!

And I never leave home without a bag of ginger or lemon ginger...Great for the nervous belly (should I say stomach? tummy? ) that I've been getting lately. Stash has a really good lemon ginger that's just a tiny bit sweeter than Yogi Tea. At home I just grate some fresh ginger and let it steep, add some honey and a lemon and I'm happy forever.

I didn't know green tea shouldn't be boiled - I will keep that in mind now. Thanks!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 11:17 AM (#19032 - in reply to #19031)

Expert Yogi

Hey, pick me up some too!! I've always wanted to call this store and say, please do mail order...but they are very oriental here and I'm not sure they speak very good English..although I should just friggin call and ask. Besides, they might raise the prices if they got too well known, so keep this a secret you guys:~) Have fun in my favorite city..lucky you. I always have such a great time in NYC..I love Chinatown and Little Italy.
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-14 11:20 AM (#19033 - in reply to #18997)

But how could I forget my favorite tea? Good ol' sweet tea. It's not so much tea as simple southern sips of sweet goodness. My friend's mamma made the best sweet tea, hands down, that I tasted in 5 years of living in South Carolina. I've used the exact recipe, down to the brand of tea-maker - and it's just not right. It may not have any physical benefits (c'mon, it's got a cup of sugar in it!), but there is nothing better for mental health on a hot summer day in Carolina than a big glass of sweet tea over crushed ice. Not even a good Belgian beer - though that seems to be best idea here in Chicago where sweet tea is unavailable.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 12:01 PM (#19037 - in reply to #19033)

Expert Yogi

Don't you mean good ole "Sweeaaaaeet Tea", LOL!!
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-14 12:26 PM (#19041 - in reply to #18997)

Oh yes, must have the unnecessary "a" vowel in there. Man, now I want all the good Southern stuff. Sweeaaaeet tea, Chik-fil-A, a cherry limeaid from Sonic, and of course barbecue. I was always more a fan of the vinegar based - we had some really good stuff in the mountains near Lake Lure at one of those places you don't know the name of but could find if you were driving...A good southern breakfast at Lizard's Thicket don't sound too bad either. Ok, I'm booking a flight today!!!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-14 6:01 PM (#19061 - in reply to #18997)

LoraB, Cyndi you are making me homesick! I grew up in in North Carolina!

Back onto green tea, though. I find I can't drink green tea on am empty stomach. It reacts similiar to the way a vitamin does....makes me incredibly nauseus until I eat something. Inspired by the smoothie thread I started making smoothies for breakfast, which are yummy, but when I drink my tea about an hour later I get sick. Anyone know why this happens??
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 7:09 PM (#19067 - in reply to #19061)

Expert Yogi

I have that same problem too! Green Tea is very strong stuff. I find that if I drink a glass of water in the morning before anything..food or tea, this helps. My problem is if I drink more than 2 cups in the morning without food. On a good fasting day, I drink tea only and sweeten it with honey. Fasting days for me is including fruit. Raw Mountain Honey with the tea helps my stomach nausea alot. Also, try eating a banana or toast before if you don't feel like heavy food. Where did you grow up in NC? I grew up in Atlanta, GA area and still have family down there...I moved here to NC because it turned into a friggin zoo down there...we all have a saying about the cut off line where the energy literally drops into peaceful, serene....beautiful mountains....ahhh NC is only a plane ticket away:~)
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-14 10:21 PM (#19094 - in reply to #18997)

I grew up in Denver, NC ...which is Lincoln County. About an hour from the mountains. I live in Northeast now, but tell everyone that NC is the perfect state. There's the Blue Ridge Mountains, The Outer Banks, lots of good schools, and and the people are great!

Thushara
Posted 2005-03-14 10:44 PM (#19096 - in reply to #19094)

There are many home remedies, which you can do with tea

Green tea for heart disease- drink 1 cup of pure plain green tea everyday to reduce fat, cholesterol

Green tea for relaxing – It says drinking 1 cup of green tea before you go to bed is one way to have a relaxing, good night sleep

Black tea – When you have cold and you find your nose is blocked, put 2 black tea bags to hot water, wait till it becomes little bit warmer than the room temperature and foment your face and neck area with the tea bags., This gives amazing results (My mother does this to me when I’m sick)

Tea and beauty – I see most of Tai spas use Green tea and black tea as beauty products., They use tea oil, tea leaves for herbal bath and herbal drinks.

I leant from Book “Prey”, that tea has more high percentage of caffeine than coffee is this true? Appreciate any comments from all you professional tea tasters

If you are interested you can try Pure Ceylon tea.. That’s one of the best teas in the world.

easternsun
Posted 2005-03-15 2:38 AM (#19117 - in reply to #18997)

just to clarify...japanese green tea is not fermented....oolong and black teas are fermented. the medicinal properties are much different.

i cannot drink tea on an empty stomach. it doesnt matter what kind of tea - if i do, i am sure to vomit. not good. sorry i cant tell you why though....i wish i knew why myself!

to get the weight loss benefits of green tea you need to consume atleast 5 or 6 cups a day not one cup...here is some info i dragged out of my files:

Because green tea decreases the rate of carbohydrate absorption, the total amount of carbohydrates absorbed is reduced. Polyphenols in green tea slow down the working of amylase, which is an enzyme in saliva that decomposes carbohydrates in the body. As a result, the carbohydrates in meals are processed more slowly, and the blood insulin levels are prevented from undergoing sudden sharp increases; thus it is ensured that fat is burned, rather than stored in the body.

In addition, green tea contains substances called "saponins" that are known to construct a barrier against fat and cholesterol in the intestines, thereby binding down the fats and preventing them from entering the bloodstream.

A recent study conducted by a major agricultural company in Shizuoka, Japan, confirms these findings. Sixty highly overweight women were put on a 1,800-calories-per-day diet for a month. Some of these women took green tea supplements, while the others were given placebo pills. After two weeks, the green tea group lost twice as much weight as the control group; even more astonishingly, their weight loss was three times greater after a month.

believe it or not?

halla
Posted 2005-03-15 8:29 AM (#19128 - in reply to #18997)

Does the green tea have to be caffeinated to get all the health benefits.
Yogi tea has a decaf green tea.
I'm super sensitive to caffeine.

Halla
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-15 9:51 AM (#19141 - in reply to #18997)

Peppermint and ginger teas are also aces at kicking a cold.

I can't stand the smell of Vick's Vaporub when I'm congested, but a nice piping hot cup of peppermint tea with some honey and I feel all better...
And fresh ginger tea also acts as an expectorant and knocks things out much quicker.

We had a Japanese exchange student for 6 months, and every night she would make us green tea. It was delightful! Don't remember the brand, but it is the best I've tasted to this day.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-15 10:05 AM (#19143 - in reply to #19117)
Subject: Green Tea Tips

Expert Yogi

I really don't understand how they get de-caffenated green tea, but somehow they manage to do it and claim that it is and that you still get the benefits. I don't really drink the Japenese tea because I don't like the way it taste and the quality is not that good here in the US, (I'm referring to the tea bags), although, that is strictly my opinion right now and subject to change:~) But, the Japanese teas seem to be the ones that say de-caffenated, like some of the sencha tea and others. I once had some sencha tea that was totally green in color, I didn't like it at all. It felt like it was fake and processed. Oh well. I have seen Japenese tea at the Teavana store and they rave about it, maybe I'll try some again the next time I go there.

Mainly, I buy raw tea leaves. The Jasmine Phoenix Pearls are hand rolled and the other Chinese teas are simply raw leaves. My Chinese Doctor just brought me back some Jasmine Tea leaves from his hometown in Cheng Du...it was sooo good and smooth. He told me that when you go through this area the tea is grown in fields with the Jasmine Flowers...he says it smells so nice, I'd be in heaven if I could find me a Jasmine tea growing field:~)

One thing I forgot to mention about infusions....Besides not boiling the water...you should also infuse your tea first for 1 minute, then discard that water and infuse it again. Drink the second infusion and the infusions thereafter. This helps take out the bitterness. I learned this trick from my oriental friends who have a tea shop. It really makes the tea taste so much smoother. This is not necessary if your using tea bags from commerically packaged tea, this is for raw green and Jasmine tea leaves. It is not necessary for oolong teas or the white teas as most of these you would not do several infusions. I do however infuse the Monkey Picked Oolong tea from Teavana because it is really strong and can be done that way, but most oolong teas use only once. (BTW, the reason the Monkey Picked Oolong is so expensive is because a long time ago, the tale goes something like the monkeys picked these leaves because they were so high up in the treas and you couldn't reach it. Therefore, they call it Monkey Picked. Not sure how they retreive the tea these days..probably a big machine - it supposedly grows high up in the trees).
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-15 10:44 PM (#19182 - in reply to #19143)
Subject: RE: Green Tea Tips

Hey Guys This is the First time I heard about "YOGI TEA " Can anybody tell me what s that ?????????????????????????????
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-15 10:53 PM (#19184 - in reply to #18997)

Yogi Tea is a brand of tea sold here in the States. Good stuff.

Funnily enough, I took a different bus route home tonight and there's a new tea shop that is either just opened or will be quite soon! I'm excited!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-16 8:57 AM (#19212 - in reply to #19182)
Subject: RE: Green Tea Tips

Expert Yogi

Yogi Tea comes from a company Golden Temple in Eugene, Oregon. They were inspired by a Swami named Yogi Bhajan. They also are the makers of the Peace Cereal (which is so good) and all of their products are organic. 10% of their profits are for peace. I like the Vanilla Nut Rainforest Crisp cereal and on the box it states that 10% of the profits go towards preserving the rainforest. So, Thushara, would you like for us to ship you some Yogi Tea to taste??
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-16 9:35 AM (#19221 - in reply to #18997)

And to think I only liked them because there were 4 flavors of ginger tea and they add cute quotes to the tag on the bag....
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-17 3:16 AM (#19293 - in reply to #18997)

i wish i could send you all some tea! loose tea is always better than the stuff in the bags IMHO

cyndi, i didnt understand the bit in your post about once having totally green tea - what other colour would it be?

a cup of coffee has about 100 mg of caffeine and green tea by comparison has only 30mg.

if you have a caffeine sensitivity, look for "bancha" - it is much lower in caffeine than regular green tea (sorry i dont know the exact number!)

Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-17 8:35 AM (#19310 - in reply to #19293)

Expert Yogi

Easternsun, I wish you could send us some tea too!!! I also think loose tea is so much better. One time I had some Japanese Tea in a restaurant...It was the color of a green leaf..almost neon green..it glowed. It was wierd and I didn't like it. It was in a really upscale nice Japanese restaurant too. I shrugged it off as just being a lower quality tea..maybe I was wrong..I don't know. I've never seen that again. Maybe they added green food coloring to it - it was bagged tea. The other times I've eaten Japanese restaurants, their tea color is always more green than say the Oolongs and Chinese Greens.

My idea of a green tea color is not actually green, it has a hint of a golden color...but not Neon Green that glows. Do you know what I mean by Neon??

Anyway, like I said, my forte isn't in Japanese tea, its in the China, Taiwan, Nepal and India area, LOL! I would really like to learn about true Japanese tea, not bagged and I want quality which is something that I think Japanese people have always held...quality. Unfortunately, mostly everything that is exported is processed..and the loose tea is becoming rare and expensive

So, do they drink Jasmine tea in Japan?? That would be really cool to try! I'm going to Teavana to get me some Japanese loose tea leaves to try this weekend..I'll let you know what color it turns out to be. BTW, if you are wondering about Teavana...its a really cool tea store that has tea from all over the world, teavana.com. I love their selections and quality, its very good. I've been able to try some really nice tea..although my Nepalis husband laughs at the tea from Nepal because it cost so much. He always says, don't buy that, we'll get my Mom to send us some that's better. But, Nepal is an exception, its hard to export from that country because they are not developed..which I like it that way, keeps it pure. When they export to the US, they have to have a quality guideline which is hard for some countries to do. (Americans are so scared of everything) Once I had some apples and banana's brought from Nepal..the Nepalis girl stuck them in her purse. Those were the best tasting fruits I have ever had...completely organic, no GMO's...
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-17 8:50 PM (#19390 - in reply to #18997)

I want to agree that Yogi Tea is awesome! It has lotsa different flavors and they're all soooo strong. That's why I like 'em so much, no weak tea for me. I especially love their Breathe Deep flavor (peppermint, eucalyptus, & more) and the Lemon Ginger tea is better at settling an upset tummy than anything else I've tried. It's especially awesome when you eat way too much and all you can do is lay there and groan! Other people have done that besides me, right?

Can any of you green tea lovers recommend something for me that has a good strong spicy flavor? I know it's so good for me, but I have a hard time finding any that I really look forward to drinking. I used to like Republic of Tea's "Moroccan Mint" but the loose version makes such a mess. They use these "gunpowder green" leaves that look like little beads when dry, but when steeped they open way up and look like cooked spinach! One time I was enjoying a cup after having dumped the leaves, and I walked into the kitchen to discover my cat in the sink, yanking fists full of wet tea leaves out of the drain!!

Thushara, if you go to www.yogitea.com, you can give them your address and they'll send you free samples! They're so yummy!
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 10:29 PM (#19413 - in reply to #18997)

Jean, have you tried the Yogi Tea raspberry ginger? I just picked that up last night. It's this funky combination of flavors that works somehow!

Try Tazo Passion tea. Then try any Ginger tea. Then try the Raspberry Ginger tea - and you get two in one! The first half of the cup tasted pretty fruity, and then the second half was gingery. Very confusing, but likeable.

And yes, I have definitely used the Lemon Ginger medicinally after a large meal. I have a nervous belly, so I usually actually try to drink a couple cups a day. So much so that my friends have started to joke about how much freakin' ginger I have - several ginger teas, always fresh ginger on hand, two books on cooking with it, two kinds of ginger candies, bath products, ginger snaps, and of course, the Henri Bendel Ginger candle from Bath and Body Works (that one was a gift though). And to top it off, I was once dumped for a girl named Ginger - how ironic is that?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)