YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bananas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-03-08 6:06 AM (#18451)
Subject: bananas

i dont know who wrote this - international banana growers perhaps? but i thought it was interesting info:

BANANAS

Bananas: Containing three natural sugars - sucrose,
fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant,
sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that
just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute
workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's
leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep
fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of
illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by
MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better
after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a
type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you
relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills -- eat a banana. The vitamin B6
it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the
production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely
high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect way to beat
blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has
just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's
ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex)
school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at
breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power.
Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning
by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the
diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the
problem without resorting to laxatives.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the
body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing
relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals
helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite
cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin.
Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and
irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm
the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of
Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort
food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients,
researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure
jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings,
we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high
carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against
intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is
the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler
cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by
coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as
a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional
temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant
women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD
sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up
smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and
magnesium found in them, help the body recovers from the effects of
nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps
normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your
body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises,
thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re balanced with
the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in "The New England
Journal of Medicine," eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut
the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills.
When you compare it to an apple, it has the four times the protein,
twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the
vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is
also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

So maybe it's time to adjust that well-known phrase to:
"A banana a day keeps the doctor away .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-08 7:12 AM (#18453 - in reply to #18451)
Subject: RE: bananas

Holy cow, that sure does sound like a great snack! What time does the banana store open? Another great thing about them is that if they get too brown to eat, you can peel them, pop them in the freezer, and use them in your smoothies.

One important thing to note! If you have trouble controlling your blood sugar (i.e. diabetes, pre-diabetes, or PCOS) it's very important to only eat bananas that are just barely ripe. Right after they turn yellow or are even still slightly green, they can give you all the benefits above and help keep your blood sugar stable. As they ripen, the sugar converts itself and metabolizes differently in the body. Therefore, a very ripe or overripe banana can throw your blood sugar out of whack.
redtail
Posted 2005-03-08 7:31 AM (#18457 - in reply to #18451)

Thanks for passing on all of that info, Easternsun. I like the part about using the peels for mosquito bites. Anything but the DEET!!

I have always liked bananas but can only handle them about a half at a time. Something about the texture makes me have the gag reflex after about a half of one. Any tipe on making them more palatable for a strange person like me?? I don't think that I have tried them in a smoothie before though. Maybe that's because I haven't had very many smoothies before!! I will have to try one with bananas in it sometime. It seems as though I have seen other postings that have smoothie recipes in them. Thanks to everyone for sharing information in this forum.

Namaste
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-08 8:21 AM (#18462 - in reply to #18451)

Frozen bananas are awesome in just about any smoothie - they don't have a strong flavor after being frozen for a while. They just add sweetness and they thicken the texture so it's more like a shake (without adding ice cream or yogurt).
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-08 10:11 AM (#18478 - in reply to #18451)

While we are going bananas:

I learn that there is a place in Wilderness, possibly in Africa, where the main food intake of the people is only bananas. They call it Paradise Diet.

I got this from a very reliable source.

Also, I heard of one bird, I do not know where, which eats only guava throughout the life. That means, it shall prefer to die if it does not get guava. An incredible.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-08 3:50 PM (#18511 - in reply to #18451)

Extreme Veteran

This is good to know about bananas. They're one of my favorite foods, if not my favorite! When I ran track, my ritual was to eat two bananas on the bus on the way to the meet. It was the only food that wouldn't weigh me down, or give me cramps when I ran, but gave me the boost of energy I needed.
Samantha
tourist
Posted 2005-03-08 7:40 PM (#18525 - in reply to #18511)

Expert Yogi

My youngest brother was put on a banana and skim milk diet in the early 60's due to an intestinal problem. I think they finally decided it was a kink or something that smoothed out while he was on the diet. He is very healthy and still likes bananas in spite of eating the exclusivley for several months at a time as a toddler. OTOH - they do give me heartburn, not make it better so best take some of that with a grain of salt...
redtail
Posted 2005-03-09 7:37 AM (#18553 - in reply to #18462)

Jean: Would you mind sharing a recipe or two for the smoothies with the frozen bananas in them?? I know that I have seen recipes on the forum before, but after a bit of a search I haven't found them. I would be very interested in trying the frozen bananas to help with the texture issue that I have. I guess I could always do a search on the www. Thanks in advance.

Namaste
bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-09 7:55 AM (#18554 - in reply to #18451)

Redtail smoothies are the easiest things in the world to make. What I do is, search the house for any bits of food that doesn't need peeling or stone removal ( banana, any berries ), plonk some in the blender, add a litle bit of liquid - apple juice is nice, or soy milk, and anything else - protein powder, honey if you like things really sweet, and - voila ! and check the consisteny - if it is too thick add more liquid. I never follow any recipes but I have done banana with frozen blueberries, banana and mango, with apple juice, works all the time. Oh make sure you chop the banana up before you stick it in the blender.
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-09 8:18 AM (#18555 - in reply to #18553)

Extreme Veteran

I either use vanilla soy milk, or orange juice in smoothies. One I really like is 8 oz of orange juice, a banana, and either frozen or fresh strawberries. I also throw some wheat germ in there too. If you use fresh strawberries, I would put a few ice cubes in there too, to make the smoothie a little thicker.
Samantha
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-09 4:57 PM (#18590 - in reply to #18555)
Subject: Going Nuts & Banana's

Expert Yogi

How bout' Banana Nut Bread made with real Georgia Southern PecAns!!  Just make sure the banana's are totally BROWN and MUSHY for best taste!  I have a great EASY recipe if anyone is interested. 

We have No more BaNaNaS - does anyone remember that and where did it come from?  Nevermind....

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-09 6:28 PM (#18596 - in reply to #18451)

I've toyed with a lot of different recipes, adding supplements, etc., but I always come back to this because it's easy, ingredients are easy to get, and it tastes great! My measurements are NOT exact because I just eyeball it (at 6am with very tired eyes).

1 frozen banana (broken into chunks)
5-6 frozen strawberries
approx 3/4 cup orange juice, light or regular
approx 1/4 cup milk (soy, skim, rice, whatever you like)
Blend until smooth, pour into your favorite go-cup, pop in a straw, and head out the door!

Also, you can substitute a handful of frozen mango chunks and a dash of powdered ginger instead of strawberries, just to mix it up a bit! If you really want to surprise your mouth, add more ginger!

To save time, I like to put prepared single-serving bags in the freezer. I peel the bananas, break them into chunks, and put approx one banana into a ziploc bag. Then I add the frozen strawberries, or mango & ginger, to the banana bags. Since the ziplocs don't keep as well, I usually put them in one big freezer-safe bag. Then when I'm running around in the morning, I grab a bag, throw it in the blender and pour in the juice & milk. My blender even has an automatic smoothie button, so you push it once and it goes crazy for about 40 seconds. Turns out great every time!
redtail
Posted 2005-03-10 6:07 AM (#18648 - in reply to #18590)
Subject: RE: Going Nuts & Banana's

All of the recipes sound REAL YUMMY!! Thanks to all for posting those here. I guess I never thought how easy it would be to make a smoothie. I just need to get into the 21st century and obtain a blender!!

I have been able to pull off the banana nut bread with a measure of success, Cyndi. Also, I think the "Yes, we have no bananas---we have no bananas today," song came from an old musical. Maybe it was South Pacific. I really don't know for sure though.

Thanks again for all of the yummy smoothie and banana ideas..
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-12 2:13 AM (#18809 - in reply to #18648)

redtail - 2005-03-11 8:07 PM

All of the recipes sound REAL YUMMY!! Thanks to all for posting those here. I guess I never thought how easy it would be to make a smoothie. I just need to get into the 21st century and obtain a blender!!

I have been able to pull off the banana nut bread with a measure of success, Cyndi. Also, I think the "Yes, we have no bananas---we have no bananas today," song came from an old musical. Maybe it was South Pacific. I really don't know for sure though.

Thanks again for all of the yummy smoothie and banana ideas..

redtail, i always thought that a blender was one of those appliances people received as a wedding gift and never used.....but i bought one and i use it everyday.

just last night i made a big batch of pumpkin soup, popped it in the blender to make it smooth and creamy. i also use it for things like baba ganoush and hummus.

if you do purchase one, make sure it comes completely apart so you can clean it properly. also, i recommend glass over plastic.
redtail
Posted 2005-03-12 7:40 AM (#18820 - in reply to #18809)

easternsun--I think you are the one that is responsible for starting this thread!! Thanks!! I SHOULD get a blender. I had a roommate a little over 6 months ago that had one. It was probably an antique. It looked like it came from the 50's.........but man would that thing whirrr and blend.......It was all glass, it came apart, and it had an electric cord that looked like a construction workers extension cord. Upon looking in all of the thrift shops around here to no avail for "the precious" I guess I will have to simply get one at the hardware store.

I hate to sound like a total adolescent, but how do you make hummus, if I may be so bold as to ask? Thanks for all of your advice and concern.

Namaste
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-12 9:28 AM (#18831 - in reply to #18820)

Expert Yogi

Hummus sounds like something wierd doesn't it... Its Chickpeas (Garbonzo's or White Channa Dal) cooked till very soft and mashed to a pasty substance. Add Tahini (Sesame Paste), lemon juice, Cumin powder and walla you have hummus. Some people add garlic, roasted red peppers and whatever. This is really good for putting in pita pockets and then adding lettuce, tomato and sprouts. I have a favorite sandwhich roll up in a burrito or you can use naan or roti.

You take cooked Arborzio Rice, Hummus, Kalamata Olive spread, then add Lettuce, tomatoes, kalamata olives, cucumbers and alfalfa sprouts. Pour a little bit of greek olive oil (I like mine flavored with rosemary and spices) roll it up and eat it. Yum, Yum

I don't measure anything for the sandwich and the recipe for hummus is on the internet..just do a google search. I gave you the main ingredients to traditional hummus..there are other variations. Enjoy!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-12 11:01 AM (#18845 - in reply to #18451)
Subject: blender recommendation

Since it sounded like someone was in the market for a blender, I just have to give a shout out to my beloved Hamilton Beach! I love this blender . . . I've had others that I just never used, and I use this guy allllll the time. I have used it to puree soups and sauces as well (it has a very strong motor), but mostly I love it for the BlendSmart button - just one touch and it does everything, makes me feel like I'm at a juice bar! Also great for shakes and margaritas!

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063CCF/qid=1110643099/sr=8-5/ref=pd_csp_5/102-6709943-8172165?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-12 11:08 PM (#18910 - in reply to #18820)
Subject: hummus for busy people

redtail - 2005-03-13 9:40 PM

I hate to sound like a total adolescent, but how do you make hummus, if I may be so bold as to ask? Thanks for all of your advice and concern.

Namaste

here is the quick version:

one can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
reserve the liquid
garlic
tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 - 1 tbsp cumin
extra virgin olive oil

drop the chick peas in the blender
add some chopped garlic
2-3 tbsp of tahini
lemon juice and cumin

start the blender and slowly add reserve liquid until you get the right consistency (oatmeal-ish)
put it in a bowl and stick it in the fridge for awhile.
just before you serve it add some evoo to the top and mix slightly.

voila!

not the most traditional recipe but quick and easy!

yummy too!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)