YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mastering Pilates Breathing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

JuneS
Posted 2005-03-06 7:04 AM (#18325)
Subject: Mastering Pilates Breathing

A few months ago, I purchased the Winsor Pilates tapes and find the routine challenging but stimulating. Still, even with the tapes, I just can't seem to master the breathing techniques in coordination with the exercises.

It has been suggested that I put the tapes aside (temporarily) and enroll in a small Pilates class, when I can learn the breathing techniques. I'm also told, that over time, proper breathing becomes second nature with Pilates, but like any exercise routine, it has to be learned.

At 56, I'm pretty active but not as fit as I would like to be (5'6" - 135). I feel Pilates will offer the benefit of flexibility, strength and endurance, which are important focal points as we age. Many of my friends are already complainting of creaky joints and numerous other "age-related" ailments. With Pilates, I really believe I can stave off these ailments and maintain a healthy and active life much longer, without the aid of medications.

Attending classes is not a problem - there are several in the area where I live. What is the general opinion of attending classes first, then moving on to the tapes? As proper breathing is essential to Pilates, is the "hands-on" approach the best way to go?

Edited by JuneS 2005-03-06 7:05 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
weaselanne
Posted 2005-03-06 7:34 AM (#18326 - in reply to #18325)
Subject: RE: Mastering Pilates Breathing

I haven’t tried the Windsor Pilates tapes myself but a few years ago I tried the Lynne Robinson Body Control series. I found that couldn’t get to grips with exercises and breathing together. In the past few months I have started going to a Pilates class, I am finding it so much easier and I am also finding that I am enjoying Pilates so much more.

I am now doing two classes a week and do some home practice with the tapes, which are easier now I have a better understanding of Pilates breathing.
reinbeau
Posted 2005-03-06 10:34 AM (#18333 - in reply to #18325)
Subject: RE: Mastering Pilates Breathin

The most important thing to do when practicing Pilates is breathe   Don't concentrate on the breath yet, learn the work and the breath will come. 

Basically you exhale on concentric movements and inhale on ecentric movements.  When you pull your legs in you exhale.  When you extend them you inhale.  When doing leg circles, as your leg circles out/down you inhale, when it circles back in and upward you exhale. 

The choreography can get confusing.  It takes quite a few sessions before you get the basic movements down properly, and a few more before you really get the flow.  Then the breath will come.

A good instructor will tell you "I don't care what your breath is (when first starting out), just breathe".
tourist
Posted 2005-03-06 10:54 AM (#18335 - in reply to #18333)

Expert Yogi

reinbeau - I like your philosophy on breath. That is how we work in Iyengar yoga - just breath for now and we'll work more on it later. In yoga and pilates we are asking students to essentially walk and chew gum at the same time, not to mention listening to Sanskrit in yoga! And so many in a sense don't know how to even do the walking part yet, or at least don't know which body parts to move to walk effectively.

To the original poster - you will find a teacher will make a HUGE difference - enjoy!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-06 2:59 PM (#18345 - in reply to #18325)

Hey Reinbeau, where did you train again? Are you the one who recommended Power Pilates?
reinbeau
Posted 2005-03-06 3:11 PM (#18346 - in reply to #18325)

I am always training   I've studied classic technique for five years now, my favorite teacher (and friend) is a Peak instructor's instructor.  Another friend is Power trained, she went that route because it's a bit less expensive than the Peak training (and the two are virtually identical).  Both have extensive lecture time and even more practical experience, I'd recommend either one of them.

I haven't officially gone through the training yet, as I have a full time job, but I take classes three to four days a week, both advanced mat and apparatus, and take over for the instructor if she's not in or is running late.  We're here on the south shore of Boston, MA.  My instructor friend is opening up a training studio this year down in this area, which will make it easy for me to finalize my training....and make it very hard for me not to!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-06 3:20 PM (#18348 - in reply to #18325)

You sound like such an expert! I like your philosophy on the breath, too. I find in teaching yoga, that if I just throw too much at people they get overwhelmed and don't enjoy themselves as much.

I'm glad to hear Power is a good one, even though it is the less expensive alternative. I've been studying classical technique on my own (no teachers nearby) and am looking at going to a Basic Mat certification course this spring. Power has a weekend just 2 miles from my grandfather's house in Michigan, so I'd have a place to stay. I just want to make sure it's the right place to go! Sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for.

Thank you! I hope your friend's studio does well - maybe you should be working there once it gets rolling!

Thanks!!

reinbeau
Posted 2005-03-06 5:10 PM (#18357 - in reply to #18325)

Go for it, Jean, Power does offer a great program.  And yes, I believe Pam's plan is that I'll work there once she gets me properly certified!  I really do enjoy sharing my knowledge of Pilates, why not make money at it? If I could get myself established to the point where I didn't need my office job anymore, I'd be very happy.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-07 8:15 AM (#18384 - in reply to #18325)

Good luck with that!! That's what I'm hoping for too. I got my yoga certification 2 yrs ago, but still haven't been able to drum up enough classes in this one-horse-town to be able to quit my day job. Recently I met a local teacher who is so busy teaching yoga, Pilates, and aerobics all over town that she can't even stop to tie her shoes (and she's not certified in ANYTHING )!

So, now I'm thinking, maybe diversification is the key - I need to be able to offer more kinds of classes. Pilates has always interested me, I like that it was created to make people healthy & strong rather than just skinny. I figure the anatomy & alignment training I have from 10 yrs of yoga will help me learn the finer points of Pilates faster! But, the type of certification is really important to me. I want to learn all about how Joseph P intended it to be in the first place, and how to use that information to help people.

You've already been using your knowledge to help people on these boards! Someday soon you will get paid for this stuff, and have a much more fun career!
throwtoy
Posted 2005-03-07 8:53 AM (#18387 - in reply to #18325)

When my students ask me how to breath i do the same of telling them learn the exercises first and then worry about the breathing i just want them to breath. It comes in time.

I think you'll really enjoy going through Power Pilates. I think people struggled mostly with the teaching in front of people thing. most had never been in front of a class, i was lucky i had experience teaching dance, etc. If you have any questions about Power PIlates feel free to PM me. I have the normalk day job so the mat stuff was all i could do but i'm trying to find the time for the rest. It was a great experience!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)