YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is anyone macrobiotic?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

weaselanne
Posted 2005-03-05 2:15 AM (#18277)
Subject: Is anyone macrobiotic?

Is anyone on a macrobiotic diet? I am thinking of trying it for better general health and for weight loss.

What types of food can and can’t you eat?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-05 11:46 AM (#18291 - in reply to #18277)
Subject: RE: Is anyone macrobiotic?

Expert Yogi

Isn't Macrobiotic the Feng Shui of eating?? 
tourist
Posted 2005-03-05 9:53 PM (#18316 - in reply to #18277)

Expert Yogi

I think with macrobiotics you eat bean sprouts, miso soup and that's about it.
loli
Posted 2005-03-06 2:07 AM (#18323 - in reply to #18277)

I think brown rice is the staple....eventually(gradually) you live on just that
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-06 9:09 AM (#18331 - in reply to #18323)

Expert Yogi

I knew someone briefly that was on it and it was also about the direction you stirred your food while you were cooking it - things like that.  It dealt with the energy of the food related with Feng Shui sorda.  Is this the same macrobiotics?
redtail
Posted 2005-03-06 9:48 AM (#18332 - in reply to #18277)

I have heard the word--"macrobiotic"--but never knew anyone that tried it, nor have I tried it myself. Just for fun, after seeing this post, I typed the word into my search engine and found all kinds of stuff. I went to this site: www.macrobioticcooking.com/ and perused it briefly. I think I could really enjoy the recipes that I found there!!

I hope this helps.

Namaste
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-06 1:53 PM (#18340 - in reply to #18277)

Extreme Veteran

Isn't a macrobiotic diet where your eat the foods that are grown in the region where you live? I have a book about it, but I have never read it. I did see something about it on one of those celebrity diet shows.
Samantha
weaselanne
Posted 2005-03-06 2:53 PM (#18343 - in reply to #18277)

Well, it’s certainly not sounding too appealing.

I have heard that it supposed to be quite strict, I searched on google and there does seem to be a lot of rules and unusual food types involved.

I think first heard about it on a celebrity diet shows as well, apparently Madonna and Gwyneth are big fans of it.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-06 2:56 PM (#18344 - in reply to #18277)

I just cut and pasted this from a website called "www.macrobiotic.org" (you can visit on your own if you like but it has some very annoying graphics and music). Apparently it's somewhat based on the Japanese style of eating, and loosely translates as "larger way of life." I thought it had something to do with combining foods for the greatest nutritional effect, but I was way off! So, from the website, here you go:

The following are basic concepts of the Macrobiotic Way of Eating:

Consume organically and locally-grown foods in season as they become available, or foods that will store without artificial preservation or refrigeration. Alternatively, eat foods grown in the same latitude.

Consume cooked whole grains primarily, and recipes made from whole grains; secondarily in quantity, cooked vegetables, adjusting proportions and preparation methods according to activity, climate and seasonal fluctuations of temperature and humidity.

Use solar-evaporated sea water salts in preparation of foods, as well as traditionally-aged miso and shoyu, umeboshi and seaweeds. Drink undyed, 3-year old roasted twig tea (kukicha) as preferred beverage.

Use unrefined, cold-pressed seed oils sparingly, made from organically-grown seeds, like sesame, corn, safflower, sunflower, flaxseed, etc.

Use roasted seeds and nuts, fruit, salads and fish occasionally as desired, in smaller quantities, as provided in season.

Use beans and bean products frequently, as primary sources of protein, along with whole grain and vegetable dishes.

Avoid all foods and beverages containing refined sweeteners, chemical dyes, synthetic flavorings or seasonings, refined oils, chemical preservatives, or made from foods grown with chemical insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, chemical fertilizers, or produced by bio-engineering or grown under hot-house conditions.

Avoid foods grown in, and shipped from, warmer latitudes.

Avoid "soft" (carbonated, sweetened) beverages, canned goods, alcoholic beverages, artificial sweeteners or products containing these ingredients.

Chew each mouthful thoroughly before swallowing.
weaselanne
Posted 2005-03-06 3:46 PM (#18352 - in reply to #18277)

Thanks for the information. You are so right about the website, very annoying.

I am going to try and incorparate some of these concepts in my everyday eating. Not all of them are going to be that easy though, espeacially "Avoid "soft" (carbonated, sweetened) beverages, canned goods, alcoholic beverages, artificial sweeteners or products containing these ingredients."

Thanks again
twisti
Posted 2005-03-17 8:02 AM (#19307 - in reply to #18277)

- No nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants)

- No tropical fruit, and minimal other fruits

- No dairy

- No red meat, some fish

- Promotes cooked food over raw foods

It is a balance of yin and yang, in food and in life.

What is macrobiotics? http://www.9starki.com/shiawase.htm

Food list and shopping guide: http://www.macrobiotics.co.uk/foodlist.htm

Edited by twisti 2005-03-17 8:03 AM
essentialoils
Posted 2010-03-08 10:37 PM (#121809 - in reply to #18277)

Practitioners of the macrobiotic diet prefer locally grown, natural foods prepared and eaten in the traditional manner, such as baking, boiling, and steaming. Lots of grains, vegetables, beans, fermented soy, and soups -- supplemented with small amounts of fish, nuts, seeds, and fruits -- are the basis of the macrobiotic diet menu. Other natural products, however, may be included to accommodate individual needs or during dietary transition.

It is essentially a "flexitarian" diet plan -- a mostly vegetarian diet that allows you to eat occasional meat or fish -- with rules governing eating, cooking, and lifestyle practices such as eating slowly and chewing food thoroughly.

Foods should be consumed in their most natural state and processed foods are not recommended. Other excluded foods are fatty meats, most dairy, sugars, coffee, caffeinated tea, stimulating beverages, alcohol, chocolate, refined flour, very hot spices, chemicals and preservatives, poultry, potatoes, and zucchini.

The diet also allows you to consume certain fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers in limited quantities. Excluded foods are considered to be extreme, overstimulating, or too concentrated and therefore not capable of achieving balance.

Vitamin and mineral supplements are frowned upon, yet seeking nutritional balance may be impossible without them.Consult a registered dietitian to help you balance the yin-yang and nutritional completeness of your plan. Otherwise you could end up with nutritional deficiencies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)